HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bonk or Lapierre.?

Old
09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
Bonk or Lapierre.?

Lapierre seems to be doing great, he is big, he is a right handed center something that we needed and I am wondering if he could do just as well or not better then Bonk. Somehow I would not mind seeing a french connection on the fourth line this year...

Begin, Lapierre, Latendresse (we use Lats also in PP in front of the net). The other 3 lines seems to be set and I do not see anyone that could surpass one of our top 9 forwards.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:09 PM
znk

Bonk Brings alot of experience and is a really good 4th line center. Just imagine he was paid 990k and no one would complain.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Bonk Brings alot of experience and is a really good 4th line center. Just imagine he was paid 990k and no one would complain.
I agree...and there's no need to rush Lapierre anyways. Give him time, he will only get better and better, and sooner rather than later, he will have a real shot with us.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
goalchenyuk

I don't agree ; sometime it's not for what a player is doing that you choose him , but more for what he brings to the team . Lapierre is an energyser , a taller Begin , and he's very fast . He's aalso a sandpaper player .

May be he's not going to play a better game than Bonk , but he will have a good influence on the other players , as Koivu and Begin .

If Gainey is able to land Bonk away , you can be sure that now that they saw Lapierre , he will do it as soon as he can

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bonk has savvy and he can score, he can skate, he is hard to knock off the puck, he is like the glue on the fourth line, he is also very prominent at blocking shots.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:41 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I would be willing to give a strong look at Lapierre for Bonk job.. Lapierre does provide a lot of energy to the ice and it's something we could really use.. The Begin-Lapierre duo will be fan favorite in no time.

I am not a fan of Bonk game at all.. While he brings some experience, I am not sure his experience of not winning anything is something we really need. He's slow and most of the time lazy, doesn't bring much creativity and energy to the game. He's big and strong in hockey fundamentals thats about it.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
It seemed to me like Bonk really found his role with the team (or the team really found Bonk's role) in the last quarter of the season and in the playoffs. I think he'll really impress some people this year, if they can just forget about his salary and the fact that he's not a 20-goal scorer.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:51 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Bonk has savvy and he can score, he can skate, he is hard to knock off the puck, he is like the glue on the fourth line, he is also very prominent at blocking shots.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you.... at all. Bonk did score. He scored about 18 god forsaken goals in his last 2 seasons, despite playing 127 games.

He can skate... which is really a good asset for a hockey player to have. It would really be a shame if Begin had to pull him along the ice.

I don't remember Bonk being especially hard to knock off the puck. I must have been sleeping.

Begin is the glue on the 4th line. Never forget that. Replace Begin with Sundstrom and you have a bunch of well positioned signalisation cones. I don't think cones cost 2.4 mil a season.

Watch Begin blocking shots. That's a shot blocker. When Bonk will throw himself on the ice, sacrificing his body to block a booming slapshot from under 10 feet, then I'll call him a shot blocker.

Maybe Bonk will prove me wrong this season. The Habs are my team so I just guess I'll root for the 6'3'' slacker. I would not be saddened if Bonk got lost on our way to Boston tuesday. As a matter of fact, I would not be saddened if we left Bonk in Boston...

Some say he would be less hated if he earned 900k. Its true. The problem here is that he doesn't get 900k, he earns 2.4 mil. The only players earning more than him are Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov and Huet (you could include Souray and Rivet at 2.4 too but... meh).

If we could find a way to dump him somewhere far from montreal (the arizona desert would be a nice place) and replace him with Lapierre, Murray or just a fan in a pink skidoo outfit I would be more than happy (the fan in the pink skidoo outfit would just have to throw himself in front of shots... we would then praise him for being a shot blocker).

CaptCrunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 12:05 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you.... at all. Bonk did score. He scored about 18 god forsaken goals in his last 2 seasons, despite playing 127 games.

He can skate... which is really a good asset for a hockey player to have. It would really be a shame if Begin had to pull him along the ice.

I don't remember Bonk being especially hard to knock off the puck. I must have been sleeping.

Begin is the glue on the 4th line. Never forget that. Replace Begin with Sundstrom and you have a bunch of well positioned signalisation cones. I don't think cones cost 2.4 mil a season.

Watch Begin blocking shots. That's a shot blocker. When Bonk will throw himself on the ice, sacrificing his body to block a booming slapshot from under 10 feet, then I'll call him a shot blocker.

Maybe Bonk will prove me wrong this season. The Habs are my team so I just guess I'll root for the 6'3'' slacker. I would not be saddened if Bonk got lost on our way to Boston tuesday. As a matter of fact, I would not be saddened if we left Bonk in Boston...

Some say he would be less hated if he earned 900k. Its true. The problem here is that he doesn't get 900k, he earns 2.4 mil. The only players earning more than him are Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov and Huet (you could include Souray and Rivet at 2.4 too but... meh).

If we could find a way to dump him somewhere far from montreal (the arizona desert would be a nice place) and replace him with Lapierre, Murray or just a fan in a pink skidoo outfit I would be more than happy (the fan in the pink skidoo outfit would just have to throw himself in front of shots... we would then praise him for being a shot blocker).

We definetly have a problem there....
Bonk is extremly strong with the puck along the boards. You indeed have been sleeping.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 07:12 AM
BJCOLLINS

I would like to see Lapierre make the team but I think its better to have him as an option in the event Bonk gets hurt. Bonk is a very serviceable player, yes he's over paid but we will not get much more than a 4th/5th round pick for him.......if we move him for such a low return and Lapierre goes down with an injury then we are stuck trying to fill that spot.

Another way to look at this is Bonk, Abbey, Souray, Johnson and Markov are UFA at the end of this year, Gainey will no doubt package a couple of these players at the trade deadline. Abbey + Bonk, Souray + Bonk or Abbey + Souray are much better looking packages than single player deals. We need to be a team looking to improve our team---IN---the playoffs at the deadline rather than a team looking to trade to---MAKE--- the playoffs.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I agree...and there's no need to rush Lapierre anyways. Give him time, he will only get better and better, and sooner rather than later, he will have a real shot with us.
Dissagree. Lappiere is 21 and played a full year in the AHL, if he outplays Bonk in

camp, he should get the spot, its about putting the best team on the ice. Some-

times the habs are just too patient with the young guys(just my opinoin).

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:02 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
Dissagree. Lappiere is 21 and played a full year in the AHL, if he outplays Bonk in

camp, he should get the spot, its about putting the best team on the ice. Some-

times the habs are just too patient with the young guys(just my opinoin).
And then do what with Bonk's 2.4 million salary?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
oli500

The question shouldent be bonk or lappiere. It should be Lapierre or downey? or lapierre or murray? Bonk will bring a bit of a scoring touch to are 4th line while having a decent all urond game and to me its impotant to have that scoring touch on the fourth line. + lapierre in my opinion well not get alot of ice time and at his stage of his carrier hes better off in hamilton were he can play alot of minuts and add another dimention to his game. If a downey or murray is injured than you bring in lapierre.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Burnside_1

Bonk will stay where he's at and he'll be gone at the end of the season. Not that he's doing a poor job, he's just overpaid for what we use him for. I think Lapierre could take Murray's spot instead, and he'll probably be the one filling in for injured players.

But if Carbo really likes what he sees from him, he'll probably make room for him, that's for sure.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
The question shouldent be bonk or lappiere. It should be Lapierre or downey? or lapierre or murray? Bonk will bring a bit of a scoring touch to are 4th line while having a decent all urond game and to me its impotant to have that scoring touch on the fourth line. + lapierre in my opinion well not get alot of ice time and at his stage of his carrier hes better off in hamilton were he can play alot of minuts and add another dimention to his game. If a downey or murray is injured than you bring in lapierre.
Or even better... Lapierre or Kostitsyn...?

If we're talking about the 14th forward, I'd take Lapierre. But who knows what injuries we'll break camp with. I rather expect that our opening day lineup will basically create itself, and any strenuous thinking we put into it now is just going to be wasted effort. The camp process will pick the team, and probably there won't be all that much controversy about it this year, IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Lapierre seems to be doing great, he is big, he is a right handed center something that we needed and I am wondering if he could do just as well or not better then Bonk. Somehow I would not mind seeing a french connection on the fourth line this year...

Begin, Lapierre, Latendresse (we use Lats also in PP in front of the net). The other 3 lines seems to be set and I do not see anyone that could surpass one of our top 9 forwards.

No sense in losing an RFA year on a 4th line spot for a guy that will probably land a 2nd line spot.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

For those who are hot on Lapierre (actually, I like him too): Instead of benching Bonk, why not sit Bégin or Murray to give Lapierre a chance to show what he can do?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote