HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Tragedy at Dawson College ON TOPIC THREAD

Old
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
OT: Tragedy at Dawson College ON TOPIC THREAD

No immature children allowed.

This is for solidarity with the victims.

Edited for those not from Montreal who are just dropping in and seeing this thread:

Today (September 13th, 2006), at about 12:45 PM, a 25-year old Montreal man wearing a long black trenchcoat and with a mohawk entered Dawson College with a gun and starting shooting.

Dawson College is the largest CEGEP in the province of Quebec. CEGEP is a school most students attend for 2-3 years between high school and university, meaning a majority of students are between 17 and 20 years of age. Dawson is an English-language institution with nearly 10,000 students, located in the heart of downtown Montreal, surrounded by shopping centres, office buildings, and directly across the street from the old Montreal Forum, former home of the Montreal Canadiens.

Original reports had there possibly being as many as 4 gunmen, but later this evening police would confirm that there was only 1. The gunman shot at least 20 students, killing one 18-year old girl, and injuring at least 19 others, whose statuses range from stable to critical.

Police arrived on the scene in a matter of minutes, and bravely entered the college, helping students evacuate, and quickly finding themselves face-to-face with the shooter.

The gunman then engaged in a war of words with police officers, and when he was set to open fire on students once again, he was shot in the arm by a police officer, at which point in time he turned his weapon on himself, choosing to commit suicide.

As one user stated in the original thread on this subject, it would be fair to estimate that about 80% of Quebecers know someone who currently attends or did attend Dawson College. So this is a sad day for the entire province, and our thoughts and prayers go to the victims and their families.

An announcement has been made that the school will be closed for the remainder of the week, as counselling appointments for those in need are booked, and police wrap up their investigation. As of today, the school is expected to reopen for business Monday morning.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...a-6a4a315f38c4
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...188685&k=38036

On a personal note, I graduated from Dawson in May of 2005 after spending 2 years there as a student very involved in student politics (I was on the Dawson Student Union) and in the coordination of activities. I know many many people (both students and staff) who still attend the college, and fortunately it seems everyone I know is alright. But watching the scenes unfold on television... people I know running scared for their lives out of the building I called my "home away from home" for 2 of the best years of my life... I was in shock.

Last edited by Dan K: 09-14-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Amen, I was going to start a thread myself.
If I believed in God and prayed, I would be praying right about now.
*sending positive thoughts to the kids , the faculty and the kids parents at dawson*

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
koivu1105

Not a big poster here but check it all the time... I was in the same room as the gunman and was scared he was on one end i was almost on the other and saw the gun shot. Hid under tables and evacuated downstairs.. It was scary **** man

koivu1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu1105 View Post
Not a big poster here but check it all the time... I was in the same room as the gunman and was scared he was on one end i was almost on the other and saw the gun shot. Hid under tables and evacuated downstairs.. It was scary **** man
Holy and . Glad you're okay though.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Big Sexy

My sympathies to all who were involved, including my friends and aquaintances who attend this cegep.

Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
Holy hell, that's terrifying man. Maybe you could shed some light on the whole incident. THe stuff they are saying on the news is very conflicting.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VanNistelrooy

Hey, I am truly VERY VERY sorry for all the families, friends and everyone who can be related with victims.

But, Those tragedies, where all the medias talk about it, live, special shows, that absolutly rule.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Unbelievable.

Thankfully you are alright. Let's all pray for the other victims of this terrible tragedy.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

My neighbour is injured...I know him since I was 4 yrs old, he got shot in the arm while helping someone up...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:56 PM
QcS

LCN are interviewing a very good police insider for years (can't remember his name) along with a student that was in the room when his good friend was shot in the arm and leg.

The picture is this: the gunman is in the room, there's about 100 students (i think it's the cafeteria), the students are all on the ground trying to figure out what to do and where to sneak to on their hands and knees. A few policemen are also in the room but views are not clear to the shooter and vice versa.

Shooter tells police to get the F* out and then starts shooting.. cops shoot him down.

Really looks like the guy was the only shooter, but rumours started going wild after that and police got a wind of a few rumours, then decided to investigate to make sure there was no other threat.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
My neighbour is injured...I know him since I was 4 yrs old, he got shot in the arm while helping someone up...
is he ok? there are rumours of one guy having been shot in the arm and bleeding PROFUSELY. I think other students used belts to help the injured, but not sure. Hopefully he's fine.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Any word yet about who is the shooter and why he did that ?

Sympathies to everyone involved at any level , this is sad.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leph28 View Post
is he ok? there are rumours of one guy having been shot in the arm and bleeding PROFUSELY. I think other students used belts to help the injured, but not sure. Hopefully he's fine.
He's ok, I even saw him on TV (CTV), I called the Jean Talon Hospital and it says he's stable and keeping him overnight for precautionary meausres. I went to his house with his brother ( I know his familly well) and just came back, he's fine from what I know.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
QcS

Jean Charest on TV live right now.. expressing the sadness we all feel. He also (and i agree with him for once) thanks and expresses gratitude to the policemen and paramedics who did a great job and were quick to react and probably saved many lives.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
VanNistelrooy

Reports are saying the cops were in the college fast as ****

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Garo

I will probably never make another joke about policemen.

They did a tremendous job under the circumstances, and for that I am very grateful

My sympathies go with the families.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
QcS

LCN just reported that the shooter was of Sri Lankan descent, and dressed as a punk (mohawk but combed on one side). The kid interviewed there thought he was white.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
BORAT

woops !

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:23 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
He's ok, I even saw him on TV (CTV), I called the Jean Talon Hospital and it says he's stable and keeping him overnight for precautionary meausres. I went to his house with his brother ( I know his familly well) and just came back, he's fine from what I know.
IS your friend Josh Pearl ? I know his parents well ! just got off the phone with them !

Old
09-13-2006, 08:27 PM
RC51

We joke about police a lot, but this time, the first two cops that got there did NOT wait outside for the swat team while hideing behind car doors. These two charged in, found the guy right away and took him down.
Those two cops for sure saved lives today. If the shooter had another 10 minutes he would have emptied all his clips and 20 more kids hurt and more dead.

Lets see you charge a madman with an auto rifle with your 38 handgun. Two hero's today

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
We joke about police a lot, but this time, the first two cops that got there did NOT wait outside for the swat team while hideing behind car doors. These two charged in, found the guy right away and took him down.
Those two cops for sure saved lives today. If the shooter had another 10 minutes he would have emptied all his clips and 20 more kids hurt and more dead.

Lets see you charge a madman with an auto rifle with your 38 handgun. Two hero's today
here here !

Old
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Live Forever

My mom just heard on CJAD that this girl's friend got shot in the arm and she was with her friend when they were placing her in the ambulance, and the injured student is apparently nowhere to be found still. Her parents still haven't reached their child and no hospital is reporting to be treating this patient. If this is true, I feel bad for her and her loved ones.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
QcS

On LCN we see a SHORT video from a student's cellphone.. of where the policemen are standing and the shooter is apparently behind a beam. They cannot see him, but know where he is.. he can't see them be knows where they are. They are apparently speaking to each other, the shooter telling them to get the F out.
On the left are tons of students on the ground (but you can't see them in the picture). That was just before the shooter started fire on them.

Apparently that was right about where it started. The student also says the school has lots of security cams, so the cops probably have the whole picture of what happened by now.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
IS your friend Josh Pearl ? I know his parents well ! just got off the phone with them !
Yes it is!!!!...brother Nathaniel?! two dogs, sister Jessica?!I know them very well...he's my neighbour, we live 2 seconds away.

Old
09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

Seriously, amazing job by police today.

My condolences go out to anyone who was or who knows someone involved in the tragedy.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote