HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Marek Zidlicky huh?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Madevilz

vCash: 500
What about Marek Zidlicky huh?

Pretty impressive for a player in his first season in a fairly young team. He leads his team with 14 points in 16 games. He is only second to Sergei Gonchar who has 17 pts but with 2 more games played. I havent seen him play so I cant really judge his talent. Too bad he's 26 years old and cannot be considered a rookie thus not being a contender for the calder.

People who saw him play, how do you find him? Could he be the next Gonchar or will he is not likely to continue at this pace?

Old
11-17-2003, 02:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's scary good, wait until he adjust to the North American ice.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:13 PM
smashviller

vCash:
I dont want to even imagine what this season would have been like without him so far.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I see no reason for his point production to decline, as the talent around him is seemingly only going to improve. I can see him getting Norris consideration in the furture, but we all know an offensive D-man doesn't stand a great chance at getting it. He plays his position well, and can hit pretty well for not being a big guy, and isn't caught out of position as much as many other offensive d-men.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

he was touted as "brian rafalski, but not quite as good"
granted, it's only early in the season, but so far....he's brian rafalski...but considerably better.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:44 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think he should have a lot more points at this stage. If our power play was as effective at puck moving as some of the more skilled units, he would be unstoppable. Unfortunately, teams are doing a good job of closing him off. If we could show that we have other very serious PP threats, then he will get many, many more chances.

He's not going to get too many ES goals/points simply because our Dmen hang at the blue line a lot. We usually keep our Dmen back as well as one forward (usually the center) and thus our Dmen don't rack up the ES points.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:04 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
I see no reason for his point production to decline, as the talent around him is seemingly only going to improve. I can see him getting Norris consideration in the furture, but we all know an offensive D-man doesn't stand a great chance at getting it. He plays his position well, and can hit pretty well for not being a big guy, and isn't caught out of position as much as many other offensive d-men.
I hope you were being sarcastic about Offensive d-men winning the Norris

Old
11-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Skylab

huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
I can see him getting Norris consideration in the furture, but we all know an offensive D-man doesn't stand a great chance at getting it.
Not following the statement that an offensive D-man doesn't have a good shot at the Norris...
recent winners
1988 Ray Bourque
1989 Chris Chelios
1990 Ray Bourque
1991 Ray Bourque
1992 Brian Leetch
1993 Chris Chelios
1994 Ray Bourque
1995 Paul Coffey
1996 Chris Chelios
1997 Brian Leetch
1998 Rob Blake
1999 Al MacInnis
2000 Chris Pronger
2001 Nicklas Lidstrom
2002 Nicklas Lidstrom
2003 Nicklas Lidstrom

seems like a group with a lot of offensive talent to me (and yes I do recognize that they have all-around games as well)

Old
11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i was going to say, it's USUALLY offensive d-men that win it. point totals speak a bit higher than defensive soundness, which is often times hard to gauge. there's a discussion about it over on the main forum right now, in fact.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
hm....i knew it was one or the other that was kinda lopsided...my bad. I guess that goes back to me thinking that a defesive award should go to a "defensive" player.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:22 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
In my opinion, the deal where we got Zidlicky + others I cannot remember for Mike Dunham was one of the best deals we've made. I'm no hockey expert, but I can certainly tell this guy is definitely an excellent talent.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
Not following the statement that an offensive D-man doesn't have a good shot at the Norris...
recent winners
1988 Ray Bourque
1989 Chris Chelios
1990 Ray Bourque
1991 Ray Bourque
1992 Brian Leetch
1993 Chris Chelios
1994 Ray Bourque
1995 Paul Coffey
1996 Chris Chelios
1997 Brian Leetch
1998 Rob Blake
1999 Al MacInnis
2000 Chris Pronger
2001 Nicklas Lidstrom
2002 Nicklas Lidstrom
2003 Nicklas Lidstrom

seems like a group with a lot of offensive talent to me (and yes I do recognize that they have all-around games as well)
Actually all of these guys are really strong in both ends with the exception of Coffey.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Skylab

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Actually all of these guys are really strong in both ends with the exception of Coffey.
thanks for pointing that out, i must have missed it in my post where I said "(and yes I do recognize that they have all-around games as well)"

Old
11-18-2003, 05:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
thanks for pointing that out, i must have missed it in my post where I said "(and yes I do recognize that they have all-around games as well)"
Sorry I'm still looking for the part in your post that said "with the exception of Coffey"

Old
11-18-2003, 09:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
In my opinion, the deal where we got Zidlicky + others I cannot remember for Mike Dunham was one of the best deals we've made. I'm no hockey expert, but I can certainly tell this guy is definitely an excellent talent.
zidlicky, rem murray and tomas kloucek

Old
11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
zidlicky, rem murray and tomas kloucek
I'd do that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:42 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
I'd do that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I remember when the deal was made the press was saying Zidlicky was just a throw in player at the time of the deal. I sure am glad the Rags "thew" him into the deal.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
BluesConvert

Something else about Z I haven't seen mentioned...

Is there a more patient, less nervous guy with the puck? He makes passes (esp. on the PP) a good 2-3 WEEKS after the last possible moment he could have decided to pass.

That and, with TWO guys bearing down on him in a forecheck, he's the only calm one in the building.

Flat out...the guy just has NO NERVES to get rattled whatsoever...and TREMENDOUS vision and patience.

/bc

Old
11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
I remember when the deal was made the press was saying Zidlicky was just a throw in player at the time of the deal. I sure am glad the Rags "thew" him into the deal.
"he'll never come to north america"

Old
11-18-2003, 09:44 AM
jacketracket*

Zidlicky's prod'n. aside, I think the brilliance of this deal was in deciding that Vokoun was ready and able to step into the #1 spot in net. Making that decision---and trading Dunham---took guts.

Zidlicky's play is icing on the cake, IMO. I do take some perverse pleasure in reading rants from Rangers fans about having given up Zidlicky.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Zidlicky's prod'n. aside, I think the brilliance of this deal was in deciding that Vokoun was ready and able to step into the #1 spot in net. Making that decision---and trading Dunham---took guts.

Zidlicky's play is icing on the cake, IMO. I do take some perverse pleasure in reading rants from Rangers fans about having given up Zidlicky.
Don't we all, and ya know what...it feels good to know they absolutely screwed them on that deal.

Every time Dunham gets shelled with 5 goals, a tear comes to my eye, but not for feeling sorry for the guy

Old
11-18-2003, 09:56 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesConvert

Is there a more patient, less nervous guy with the puck? He makes passes (esp. on the PP) a good 2-3 WEEKS after the last possible moment he could have decided to pass.

That and, with TWO guys bearing down on him in a forecheck, he's the only calm one in the building.

Flat out...the guy just has NO NERVES to get rattled whatsoever...and TREMENDOUS vision and patience.

/bc
I agree he is Delmore's polar oppisite when it comes to that aspect. Hell he is Delmore's polar oppisite in just about every aspect of the game. He makes passes to players that he shouldn't be able to thread. He would have more assists even if players he is passing to are ready to accept the pass. I think they are just as suprized as we are that he made "that" pass.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:

/bc
one word: POISE

Poile absolutely humiliated Sather on that deal. I don't care how much the Rag$ fans pretend to worship Dunny. Once the Eastern teams have all played him a few times, they'll make him look like a colander, too... :p

Old
11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
BluesConvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
He would have more assists even if players he is passing to are ready to accept the pass. I think they are just as suprized as we are that he made "that" pass.
Absolutely 100% agree, trid.

I can't count the number of times, sitting up in my seat (where I SHOULD, in thoery, be able to see open lanes better than at ice level, right?) I've said "HTF did he see THAT pass???"

I also think exactly what you mention is WHY our PP seems to have found some new life...I think a couple of the guys are starting to realize that "Ok, he can't POSSIBLY pass NOW...He's GOT to be shooting" simply isn't a phrase you can use when Z's on the ice.

/bc

Old
11-18-2003, 10:20 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:

/bc
Couldn't agree more.

Closed Thread