HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to start calling players out?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 04:32 AM
SensGod

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Is it time to start calling players out?

You get to pick 3 players to call out. Who do you call out.

For moi...

1) Smolinski - What the HECK have you done so far this year?

2) Chara - If he turns the puck over one more time for being lazy...i'm gonna lose it. Sure he did a great job against Kovalchuk last week...but DAMN.

3) Bonk - I know this one is gonna cause some controversy...But just HOW MANY 5 ON 5 POINTS HAVE YOU GOT KNOB?

Honourable Mention: Schastlivy...don't EVEN THINK about getting me started on him...

The only players I have seen so far go out every shift and try are Havlat, Hossa, Vermette, Varada, Schaefer and Neil.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:51 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
You get to pick 3 players to call out. Who do you call out.

For moi...

1) Smolinski - What the HECK have you done so far this year?

2) Chara - If he turns the puck over one more time for being lazy...i'm gonna lose it. Sure he did a great job against Kovalchuk last week...but DAMN.

3) Bonk - I know this one is gonna cause some controversy...But just HOW MANY 5 ON 5 POINTS HAVE YOU GOT KNOB?

Honourable Mention: Schastlivy...don't EVEN THINK about getting me started on him...

The only players I have seen so far go out every shift and try are Havlat, Hossa, Vermette, Varada, Schaefer and Neil.
Good list. I wouldn't classify Havlat as playing every shift, as he's still a little inconsistent. Alfie's been a little unreliable as well.

A big problem is that our blueline has been remarkable inconsistent. Phillips has probably been the most stable, but he's had a few bad nights. Redden's been playing well in the past week or so. Rachunek's injury has made it hard to really evaluate him.

I just posted something on the tradeboard about Bonk. Pierre McGuire was saying that the Sens should look at trading him. He says that it would send a message to the team that if you are not going to give 100% every night, then you'll be doing it for another team.

On one hand, I agree. Bonk has been bad, and is frustating as hell sometimes. He's a high profile player, and the other players would take notice, and there would be a feeling that no one is immune.

On the other hand, trading a guy like Bonk means that we will be a weaker team. It may motivate our guys for the short run, but I know we'll be missing something because of it at the playoffs.

The common line of thinking is that only the playoffs matter, but the way things are going, this team is starting to develop some really bad habits. If things continue this way, they won't be ready for the playoffs, and be able to "flip the switch" when they need to. I think Muckler should shop Bonk around. If he can get a deal where there isn't too drastic a step in quality, then he should make the move.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:54 AM
SensGod

I agree with you completely...

I like Bonk's abilities...but he's not a #1 centerman...he's a perfect #2. But we've beaten that subject to death.

If we REALLY want to get drastic...I hear that there's some dude in Edmonton that doesn't want to play there...

Old
11-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Other Dave

Bonk's been 'bad'?

The guy may be getting all his points on the pp, but that's because he's expected to cover for the godawful defence all the freaking time. He spends more time backchecking then the blueliners do!

Other Dave

Old
11-18-2003, 05:24 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
The guy may be getting all his points on the pp, but that's because he's expected to cover for the godawful defence all the freaking time. He spends more time backchecking then the blueliners do!

Other Dave

Good point...he's been shadowing Chara all year 5 on 5 I guess...

Old
11-18-2003, 05:27 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Bonk's been 'bad'?

Other Dave
Yes, I think he has. He's made a quite a few defensive gaffs, and while he is putting up points, most of that is on the powerplay, and not the direct result of his efforts. On one had, it's hard to argue with the "give the puck to Hossa" technique, but for a guy paid as he is, he should be able to add a little more.

I don't think he's the worst offender out there on the ice, but the reasons for moving have more to do with his profile and status on the team. He's a key player for the team, who is also a high profile player with a long history with the Sens. Of all the players that are not playing up to snuff, he's the one that would generate the type of return that we would need, and would send the biggest message to the rest of the players.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:32 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

The only players I would NOT call out would be as follows:

1. Peter Schaefer - our most consistent player so far IMO
2. Marian Hossa - although his start has been a bit inconsistent, he is our best player most nights
3. Chris Phillips - has played very well, very consistently
4. Vaclav Varada - doing his job, should probably not be on the first line though
5. Antoine Vermette - always gives 100% effort
6. Chris Neil - should get more ice time

I'm happy to see that Martin Havlat has started skating the last 2 games and he has been much better. Redden has been okay...as for the rest of the players on the team I think their effort and results can all be questioned, especially Schastlivy, Smolinski, White, Chara, Rachunek, Volchenkov, Spezza & Van Allen. Van Allen should be waived - he is a waste of a roster spot. Schastlivy is useless and I was happy to see him scratched last night.

Those are my thoughts as of today...

Old
11-18-2003, 07:07 AM
Safir*

@ SensGod avatar.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:08 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
@ SensGod avatar.
Agreed. I like the subtle touch of making the Chara potato bigger than the others.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:12 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Agreed. I like the subtle touch of making the Chara potato bigger than the others.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:10 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apparently Spezza is getting 4th line ice time (9:39 last night, with a little over 2 min of that PP time). Is this Martins way of "calling him out", or with White back, has he become a "victim" of numbers. I can't see him being sent back to Binghampton, but what do you do to light a fire under the boys ass.....?

Old
11-18-2003, 08:10 AM
SENSfreak_03

catagorizing the players

alright, i was pretty bored last nite, so i came up with the levels right now, of importance to the team

Level 1: this group is essential to the teams success, we need lalime and 3 of the 4 guys in here playing well.

Alfie
Bonk
Hossa
Redden
Lalime

Level 2:
Phillips, Chara, Rachunek, Havlat, Spezza, scheafer, fisher, white, smolinski

Level 3:
Volchenkov, Curtis L., Vermette, Schastlivy, Niel, Van Allen, Hnidy, Pothier, Prusek

Obviously the key to it all is lalime, if he isnt on his game, as we seen its hard to win, it can be done, but we've had problems. if level 1 is clicking, i believe it will trickle down to the rest. level 2 has the potential to rise level 1. this probably has nothing to do with anything, just me with to much time on my hands..lol

comments?

Old
11-18-2003, 08:19 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03
alright, i was pretty bored last nite, so i came up with the levels right now, of importance to the team

Level 1: this group is essential to the teams success, we need lalime and 3 of the 4 guys in here playing well.

Alfie
Bonk
Hossa
Redden
Lalime

Level 2:
Phillips, Chara, Rachunek, Havlat, Spezza, scheafer, fisher, white, smolinski

Level 3:
Volchenkov, Curtis L., Vermette, Schastlivy, Niel, Van Allen, Hnidy, Pothier, Prusek

Obviously the key to it all is lalime, if he isnt on his game, as we seen its hard to win, it can be done, but we've had problems. if level 1 is clicking, i believe it will trickle down to the rest. level 2 has the potential to rise level 1. this probably has nothing to do with anything, just me with to much time on my hands..lol

comments?
I agree with this level thingy you've got here.

The only question I have though is, "what has Alfie done for us since the playoffs started last year?"

Lalime is the most important key out of all of this. He's the biggest question right now for us. He's been fighting the puck alot so far this season. I just hope he settle's down and get's into his groove soon. But the most important thing for me is that we get into the playoffs then do better than we did last year.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
No one's scoring 5 on 5 so don't just point at him.

Chara's been brutal, Redden's getting better, Phillips has been the most consistent, and I thought Rachunek was great up until that Islanders game. Volchenkov needs to stay healthy, Pothier has played like the fringe defenseman he is, Hnidy has actually done pretty well since returning, and Leschyschyn has done OK.

Up front, Schaefer, Varada, and Vermette seem to be the only guys who give it their all every night. Hossa's been inconsistent, no one is scoring at even strength, and Havlat and Spezza need to SHOOT!

I'm too tired to go on.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:18 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
...and Havlat and Spezza need to SHOOT!
Spezza first annoyed me with his inside-outside move every single night (... still does), but what's even more frustrating is that he is now so focused on making the cutest pass in the world, that he is forgetting that he can be shooting twice as much on net. Since the Columbus game, I've seen that guy blow countless wide-open shooting opportunies to try and feed a perfect Ms. Tiggy Winkles.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:15 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
@ SensGod avatar.
Sorry for interupting the discussion, but just had to say that the avatars of SensGod and gbl1p are really cool. I'm sorry that your players have given you a reason to make them, but nonetheless I find them both to be quite hilarious.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:52 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Personally, I think the miscues of individuals have been greatly exagerated. I'm more concerned with the team play and chemistry, which seems to be lacking. Martin has always been notorious for shaking up the lines a little too much IMO. Makes it tough to get out of rut sometimes.

That said, Martin is still the coach we need. But he has always had troubles turning things around when they go bad and it always takes a little more time (one of my only criticism's of him has been his lack of ingenuity to quickly turn things around in a playoff series).

Meanwhile, I'm quite satisfied with Chara. He continues to do all the little things right in our end, and while there is the occasional gaff when he tries to do too much, it isn't a case of him not making an effort. "too much" just has to be simplified. He leads the team in +/-. This talk of benching him is mind boggling to me.

Rachunek was the weakest of the top 4 the other night, but I'm not too concerned with that blip. I also believe Leschyshyn and Hnidy have been a much weaker tandem than Pothier and Volchenkov when they're in the line-up.

I also think Schastlivy has been fine. He hasn't shown quite the flash I would have liked to see, but he has been putting in the effort, and that's all you can ask sometimes when you take a skill guy and throw him out there with Van Allen and Neil.

Meanwhile, Spezza is really struggling. Not only is he trying way too much one-on-one stuff that is consistently turning the puck back the other way, but he's now gripping it a little tight. Poor execution + poor tactics = very bad play. Some one needs to take him aside and give some advice on gettings things simple again. He's at least still solid on the 2nd pp unit, which is keeping his confidence from sinking below water level.

Anyway, I'm not in a panic. If we can play this bad and still be over .500 and 8 points out of the conference lead, then I'm actually quite optimistic about things the rest of the way.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:32 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Personally, I think the miscues of individuals have been greatly exagerated. I'm more concerned with the team play and chemistry, which seems to be lacking. Martin has always been notorious for shaking up the lines a little too much IMO. Makes it tough to get out of rut sometimes.

That said, Martin is still the coach we need. But he has always had troubles turning things around when they go bad and it always takes a little more time (one of my only criticism's of him has been his lack of ingenuity to quickly turn things around in a playoff series).

Meanwhile, I'm quite satisfied with Chara. He continues to do all the little things right in our end, and while there is the occasional gaff when he tries to do too much, it isn't a case of him not making an effort. "too much" just has to be simplified. He leads the team in +/-. This talk of benching him is mind boggling to me.

Rachunek was the weakest of the top 4 the other night, but I'm not too concerned with that blip. I also believe Leschyshyn and Hnidy have been a much weaker tandem than Pothier and Volchenkov when they're in the line-up.

I also think Schastlivy has been fine. He hasn't shown quite the flash I would have liked to see, but he has been putting in the effort, and that's all you can ask sometimes when you take a skill guy and throw him out there with Van Allen and Neil.

Meanwhile, Spezza is really struggling. Not only is he trying way too much one-on-one stuff that is consistently turning the puck back the other way, but he's now gripping it a little tight. Poor execution + poor tactics = very bad play. Some one needs to take him aside and give some advice on gettings things simple again. He's at least still solid on the 2nd pp unit, which is keeping his confidence from sinking below water level.

Anyway, I'm not in a panic. If we can play this bad and still be over .500 and 8 points out of the conference lead, then I'm actually quite optimistic about things the rest of the way.

I'm in agreement with everything.

I really think it's Van Allen who should be sitting (Not from lack of effort, But from lack of speed, sense, skill) and Schastlivy the one playing.

Closed Thread