HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would Gainey give to get his hand on Jack Johnson

Old
09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Knowing Johnson will be playing at the U of M this year no matter what, people here are ready to give Markov for him and, in the process, give a serious blow to the team's chances of making the playoffs this year? That's completely ridiculous.

The only way we can get JJ is in a 3-way deal where we give up some some of our talented forwards to a team in return for the young d-man that Carolina wants.

Maybe something like this:

A. Kostitsyn and Perezhogin for D. Hamhuis (contract negociation problems with Nashville)... Then give Hamhuis and a first round pick to Carolina for JJ?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:28 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Knowing Johnson will be playing at the U of M this year no matter what, people here are ready to give Markov for him and, in the process, give a serious blow to the team's chances of making the playoffs this year? That's completely ridiculous.

The only way we can get JJ is in a 3-way deal where we give up some some of our talented forwards to a team in return for the young d-man that Carolina wants.

Maybe something like this:

A. Kostitsyn and Perezhogin for D. Hamhuis (contract negociation problems with Nashville)... Then give Hamhuis and a first round pick to Carolina for JJ?
I would just keep Hamhuis and then wait it out for JJ.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I would just keep Hamhuis and then wait it out for JJ.
Come to think of it... You're right.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Habsaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Is there a GM NOT interested in Jack Johnson?
I have to agree, any sportswriter writing a story like this needs filler.

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:37 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Come to think of it... You're right.
In fact I don't doubt Gainey is trying to put together something for Hamhuis right now....

Imagine Hamhuis and Komo in our future...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:39 PM
znk

For those interested here is the interesting quote.

Bob Gainey a eu vent de l'histoire et il se promettait, hier, de passer un coup de fil à Rutherford. «Je vais entrer en contact avec lui, a confié Gainey à La Presse en début de semaine. Je veux vérifier à quel point c'est sérieux et ensuite on verra. Mais il reste que les Hurricanes contrôlent la destinée de ce joueur. Je vais téléphoner et tenter de savoir ce qu'il veut obtenir en retour.»

Bob Gainey heard about this story and yesterday said he would give Rutherford a call. "I'll make contact with him, Gainey told "La Presse" early this week. I want to know how serious this is. After that we will see. Still the Hurricans have control on the destiny of this player. I will call and see what they want in return."

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
It seem that Bob didn't know that Jack was on the block. Nicole Kidman? huh! she could be my mom.
Yeah but if you think about it, would you really trust the younger celebs these days? How many deseases are clinging to Paris or Lohan?

As for the interest, I believe Gainey is also interested in Crosby. Doesn't mean a thing. Now having said that, our biggest weakness at the moment is on D. Our biggest injury bug has hit our D. We can't afford to trade any of our regulars.

Prospects of equal value? You're looking at Price and maybe more. We may be deep in prospects, but non of them have proven anything yet. Would it be worth trading a possible future star for a possible (but unlikely) Ron Hainsey pt2?

We won't trade Lats, Chips, Price, the Kost bros. or Grabs until we see what he can do. What's left? Locke, Fischer(not NHL ready so no point) Milroy? lol

I sense a bunch of new Ryder/Perez rumors now starting... *sigh*

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

The more I think about it, the more I think we should really get him. Even if that means we have to pay the price. Jack is the kind of player that you can build arround for the next 10-15 years. If the story is real, get it done Bob.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I'd give Markov for Jack Johnson.

It's JACK JOHNSON!!!

Who cares if we're short one D for a year, next year we'll have a Blue Chipper in the lineup!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I like how the article ends.

"We'll see if Gainey has some Sam Pollock up his nose."

HA! Man, Sam Pollock was a genius in these kind of situations that I heard.

"Oh? You have this prospect, but you don't need a prospect, you need help now? Ok, ok, let's see, let's see...We are the Montreal Canadiens and we could crush your puny little facaling best with our third line, you realize this? No, no, I'm not trying to squeeze the visegrip on your little raisins, just making sure you knew who you were talking to. Want help? Send me that top blue chipper of yours and I'll send you, say, my top third liner and a depth defenseman. See? Ok. Great I could do business with you. Fine. Piton will be around to pick him off the airport. Ok, bye bye."

And that's how it was really.

Old
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think we should really get him. Even if that means we have to pay the price. Jack is the kind of player that you can build arround for the next 10-15 years. If the story is real, get it done Bob.
What if Rutherford wants Latendresse + Markov?

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:17 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
In fact I don't doubt Gainey is trying to put together something for Hamhuis right now....

Imagine Hamhuis and Komo in our future...
Considering Markov is FA next winter, I wouldn't mind a package of Markov + Perez/Kost + 1 round pick for a package of Hamhuis and Hartnell...

I imagine Hamhuis on our blue line for many years, and I imagine a third line of Hartnell-Pleks-Johnson... Heck, Hartnell could as well be the grinder/15-20 goals presence on one of the 2 top scoring line... I'm a big fan...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

sXe, don't forget the value of Latendresse is larger for us here, he's got local value. I don't think he's worth much in Carolina's eyes.

Markov + Prospect Of Their Choosing Except Price

If they pick Latendresse....well....that's gonna be ugly. But what if Rutherford has a cramp and took Duncan Milroy? It's worth trying.

Asides, here's what I'd offer.

David Fischer + 1st Round Pick.

Old
09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I thought of this and smiled to myself a bit. Here's the thing though. When a guy's building a team, he obviously has in mind the elements that it takes. He sees Lats, and figures, good, I've got a guy who can be a horse, move some bodies around, create some havoc in the zone, good. He looks at Higgins, and again, good, skilled guy, speed, all kinds of character, good every team needs guys like him. Hmm, what else, we need a stud d man. A true #1, not a guy who's #1 simply because he's our best. Many think JJ is that guy. iF you have to give up the young guys slotted in as long time players, you just have to fill that space created then.

So, while JJ is a more valued asset than Higgins or Lats, I wouldn't. I'd just look for another way to get a d man even if takes more time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 02:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

I would sell my mother to get JJ..

Markov + Ryder + 1st round pick

We would be a bit weaker this year but who cares, much stronger for the years to come... Even without Markov we still have the team to make the playoffs.

Higgins Koivu Kostitsyn

Samsonov Plekanec Kovalev

Perezhogin Chipchura Latendresse

Begin Lapierre Ferland

extra: Grabovski

Johson Komisarek

Emelin Souray

Fisher OByrne

crazy..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 09-20-2006 at 02:17 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Considering Markov is FA next winter, I wouldn't mind a package of Markov + Perez/Kost + 1 round pick for a package of Hamhuis and Hartnell...

I imagine Hamhuis on our blue line for many years, and I imagine a third line of Hartnell-Pleks-Johnson... Heck, Hartnell could as well be the grinder/15-20 goals presence on one of the 2 top scoring line... I'm a big fan...
I'd just be the evil Bobby Clarke type and offer Hamhuis a big contract before I'd give up that kind of package for him. Or at least offer him $1,999,999.99 per year for the 2nd, just to get him on the ice. Hamhuis and Hartnell would definitely be an interesting package, however. Much more interesting to me than Johnson.

Throwing a 1st round pick at the end of every offer probably wouldn't be my preferred tactic, though... it might be a good way to up the ante on the bid for an older player at the deadline, but aside from that restricted scenario and maybe draft day itself, I wonder if the generally perceived value of a 1st round pick in September is really as high to most GMs as it would be to me and my organisation. I somehow doubt it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
done

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
sXe, don't forget the value of Latendresse is larger for us here, he's got local value. I don't think he's worth much in Carolina's eyes.

Markov + Prospect Of Their Choosing Except Price

If they pick Latendresse....well....that's gonna be ugly. But what if Rutherford has a cramp and took Duncan Milroy? It's worth trying.

Asides, here's what I'd offer.

David Fischer + 1st Round Pick.
Who is Cam Ward ?....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
FF de Mars

I wouldn't trade Markov, we need him and we need to RESIGN him... But, how about Price, Souray and Perezhogin? It would be super risky, but we'd end up with Markov AND Johnson.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I wouldn't trade Markov, we need him and we need to RESIGN him... But, how about Price, Souray and Perezhogin? It would be super risky, but we'd end up with Markov AND Johnson.
Why would Carolina need Price? Ward is 22.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 03:15 PM
yvresgyros

If it means we have a Phaneuf next year as well as for the following 15, then I have no problem losing Komisarek, Kostitsyn and a 1st, add Jancevski if they ask. (Komi because I would bet Carolina do not want a one year guy that is UFA after this year, Rutherford said prospects and Komi is still there apparently)
No ways to be sure though if Johnson will be that good.
Gainey knows best, of course.
With money saved (not much, I agree but still...) we can then pry a depth D from New Jersey or other cap worried team to patch this year's hole.
Then the chasm left by Larry Robinson in our D corps way back when could finally be filled...?!?
The goal is a cup for 2009, isn't it?

yvresgyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
MM425

I'd love to see Johnson don the bleu, blanc, et rouge one day... It would be nice to build the franchise around a guy who has a legitimate love for the organization.

Unfortunately, the Habs probably have a better chance nabbing him as a UFA 7 years down the road... the asking price is probably throught the roof.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Ridiculous Trade Ideas

THANK GOD most of you have no offical capacity within the habs orginization!!

Trade Markov, Komi, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This kid is a PROSPECT, albeight a 1A prospect.

You don't trade ESTABLISHED YOUNG NHL DEFENSEMAN for a PROSPECT unless you have a way of replacing them.

Komi has HUGE upside, and after 3 years of bringing him along, you want to trade him!!!

Without Markov, our record was HORRIBLE last year and you want to trade him!

Who says that Markov, Rivet and Souray will not sign with the Habs. This off-season this board was FILLED with rumors that Souray wants to be traded and that he is going to LA for his daughter. Yet, from the horse's mouth he said that the fans and the media made a lot more out of it then he did and he would LOVE to playfor the Habs.

I like our top 4 dman, it's the bottom 2 that we need to improve on. We do not have a All star dman or 2 like Anahiem, but you don't go out and get a stud by ripping a hole in a defense with no depth.

Johnson for Fisher + 2nd in 2007 and 2nd in 2008. NO more.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I'd love to see Johnson don the bleu, blanc, et rouge one day... It would be nice to build the franchise around a guy who has a legitimate love for the organization.

Unfortunately, the Habs probably have a better chance nabbing him as a UFA 7 years down the road... the asking price is probably throught the roof.
nah, the real reason why we won't get him is not the asking price. It's because our organisation fears to make bold moves (scratch Theodore, it was only a good ridance, Kovalev was an pending UFA and Samsonov was the last good UFA on the market). The habs are too shy to make a deal with an impact like that.

Old
09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
THANK GOD most of you have no offical capacity within the habs orginization!!

Trade Markov, Komi, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This kid is a PROSPECT, albeight a 1A prospect.

You don't trade ESTABLISHED YOUNG NHL DEFENSEMAN for a PROSPECT unless you have a way of replacing them.

Komi has HUGE upside, and after 3 years of bringing him along, you want to trade him!!!

Without Markov, our record was HORRIBLE last year and you want to trade him!

Who says that Markov, Rivet and Souray will not sign with the Habs. This off-season this board was FILLED with rumors that Souray wants to be traded and that he is going to LA for his daughter. Yet, from the horse's mouth he said that the fans and the media made a lot more out of it then he did and he would LOVE to playfor the Habs.

I like our top 4 dman, it's the bottom 2 that we need to improve on. We do not have a All star dman or 2 like Anahiem, but you don't go out and get a stud by ripping a hole in a defense with no depth.

Johnson for Fisher + 2nd in 2007 and 2nd in 2008. NO more.
The same applies for you... You would trade Fischer? But do you know that they want an established player? Jack Johnson is one of the best dmen prospect in the last 15 years. If you can get him, you should not back off because it's risky to trade an established player for him. It's like if two years ago, before Phaneuf graduated in the nhl, you said that you wouldn't trade Markov for Phaneuf.

Johnson is ridiculously good. And it wouldn't be stupid to (for the first time in a long time) trade for a marquee player that we can build arround. Especially if he can bring Crosby here in 6 years lol.