HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Opinion....trying to organize shinny with strangers?

Old
09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
octopi

vCash: 500
Opinion....trying to organize shinny with strangers?

I was thinking of renting a rink and getting local hfboarders to join up.I'm sure there might be some interest However, the problems:

1. How do I handle the financial stuff? I guess I could collect money before if I got enough interest..

2. Whats the likelyhood I get sued if someone gets injured?

3. How do I know anyone I contact isn't a serial killer?

4. Would this really work?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
If the rink or any local rec leagues have message boards or traditional bulletin boards, post up the info on that with the time and location as well as rough price per skater. And make sure to tell all your hockey buddies that you have ice and tell them to tell others.

You can collect from everyone in the locker room before they take the ice. Traditionally, goalies don't pay, but that's up to you. And I wouldn't worry about getting sued, anybody who plays hockey does so at their own risk.

And you will of course get psychos, we're hockey players

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
mac-sniper

shoudln't be a prob. before i worked at my arena, id go to the rink with a 10 dollar bill and ask people if they needed an extar player. you're in a public place, not in a dark alley. you should pretty much know everyone who plays puck in your neck of the woods anyways.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 08:05 AM
RedK

On another hockey board, we do this several times a year. We know each other from the boards, and some of us know each other from the leagues, so there's a certain amount of trust already. We set the rules - no contact, no refs, don't be a moron, don't be a jerk - ahead of time, and everyone agrees to it. One guy gathers the names and rents the ice, and checks people in as they come into the rink and gets their money. The organizer divides people into teams, and much trashtalking follows. It helps if people give you an idea of their skill level so you can balance the sides.

This has ended up being a huge amount of fun. Most of us go out for beer afterwards, and we've been doing it for two or three years. good luck!

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 09:39 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
This has ended up being a huge amount of fun. Most of us go out for beer afterwards, and we've been doing it for two or three years. good luck!
Thanks, altho I doubt I'll actually end up doing it. Too skittish.Also, very bad skill set that probably has me at the level, of, oh , maybe an 8 year old(except stronger and olarger, of course)

Proabably end up back in the University's Beginner shinny for adults program....again.Stupid lack of eye hand coodination.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I was thinking of renting a rink and getting local hfboarders to join up.I'm sure there might be some interest However, the problems:

1. How do I handle the financial stuff? I guess I could collect money before if I got enough interest..

I've thought about doing the same, but never did. I kind of co-run one now. The two most important things I have learned. Get two or even three goalies to commit to playing every week, and try and get as many people as you know to play. Ask the people at your local hockey shop. See if you can post a flyer or know of people who are looking for some ice time. Set up one of those free email addresses and hand it out to people who might be interested.

Anyway, always collect prior to playing. You don't want to have to deal with someone saying they forgot their wallet after then have already skated. If you have extra cash put it in the pot and save it for a week where there is a small turn out. Be up front with everyone about how much it will cost. It will aviod senseless whinning about $$$$.

I would say the likelyhood is slim, but it did happen with a group I skated with. A guy took a puck to the face and turned around and went after the guy who ran it for his medical bills. He even encourged me to do the same when I needed facial surgery to repair my badly broken nose. I don't believe he got anything. However, if you are in Canada you may want to look into your responsability if something does happen.

There is no way of really knowing that. I have meet some really nice guys who turn into complete lunitics one they lace up the skates. The thing you need to do is control it. If someone is gooning it up or playing cheap, tell them to cut the crap. If they don't, tell them not to bother coming back. Thing is, you have to get on it before it gets out of hand. Let the boys play...or girls. Bumping, pushing and body postion are part of the game.

It will work, but it might take some time. You need to establish a solid core of people who will show up every week.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
My pickup group (who has been playing every Friday night for years before I just joined this spring) throws sticks to determine sides, and they also have a bag of practice pullovers to make IDing teammates easier. Definitely a nice touch.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2006, 01:25 AM
ModSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post

What rink? Sounds like you are from Detroit.

You essentially sign a contract with the rink for the ice. Just ask them.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote