HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

COL-BOS Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 02:13 PM
BruinFan42

vCash: 500
COL-BOS Proposal

Colorado Gets:

LW Rob Zamuner
RW Ivan Huml

Boston Gets:

D Martin Skoula

Here, Colorado gets an underrated, underapreciated 3rd line winger who has offensive talent and plays a great two way game and is not afraid to play phsyical, something Avs fans said they have been looking for. They also get Huml who has loads of offensive talent and is considered a future top 6 forward. Boston gets a mobile defensemen that they need to complement the slow defensmen they have now. *Edited and added* Skoula could turn his career around in Boston, a scenery change to get away from the spolight.

Thoughts? Any tweaking needed?

Old
11-18-2003, 02:19 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Colorado cannot trade Martin Skoula without getting back an NHL serviceable defenseman, and Rob Zamuner's outrageous $2.2 M salary would not be acceptable under Colorado's salary structure.

If you want Skoula, give us Hal Gill and a pick.

Old
11-18-2003, 02:21 PM
BruinFan42

I thought about putting in Gill instead of Zamuner, but Gill is such an underachiever given his mammoth size, and I know you guys inquired about a 3rd line winger, Zamuner, if his salary were not as large, would be ideal for you guys, as he's the odd man out in Boston, IMO. As for HIll, he's not nearly as physical and intimidating as he should be, although he's a very reliable, yet SLOW defensmen...

Old
11-18-2003, 02:25 PM
avfan#21

I don't know what use we'd have for Huml other than a callup but Zamuner would be fine if they weren't paying so much for him. As RIAL put it, his contract doesn't fit. I'm one of those fans who feels he's the type of guy we need but 2.2 mill won't cut it. Tucker's 1.6 is much more palatable. If we had the pieces to get it done.

RIAL - If they could get Hal Gill for Skoula straight up I'd be ecstatic.

Old
11-18-2003, 02:28 PM
BruinFan42

AvFan, is there something you guys see in Gill that Boston Fans don't? I personally love Hal Gill's game, but a lot of people like to call him their whipping boy because of his lack of speed and the fact that he isn't as intimidating or as physical given his size...

Old
11-18-2003, 02:31 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

from an unbiased point of view, i think skoula is worth less than zamuner and huml
i would add a mid round pick to the skoula side, maybe a 4th

Old
11-18-2003, 02:42 PM
avfan#21

Well what I noticed was that he was solid with Bourque. Considering he'd be playing with much more talent on the blueline, he doesn't have to be spectacular, only solid. That is what I think the guy is, a solid if not unspectacular defenseman. With Blake and Foote to kick him in the ass when/if he needs it, he could be the bruising third pair stay at home guy I'd like to see. He's not going to be a superstar for the Avs nor do they need him to be, that is what I think makes the difference between values to teams. He doesn't have to be better than he is capable of being, here. The Avs have legit number 1-3 dmen and Skrastins has been extremely solid. Considering also that Skoula may need a change of scenery to take the next step, it just seems like a good trade.

Old
11-18-2003, 02:44 PM
BruinFan42

If Gill could use his size to his advantage he could become a very dominant defensmen.

Just look at the job he's done on Jagr

Old
11-18-2003, 02:47 PM
bb_fan

I'd rather Moran than Gill for some reason from a Boston perspective....

Old
11-18-2003, 03:00 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

While he still isn't as good a fighter as you think a guy of his size and strength would be, Gill has been playing physical hockey of late; so far this season, it's the most physical I've seen him play.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Well what I noticed was that he was solid with Bourque. Considering he'd be playing with much more talent on the blueline, he doesn't have to be spectacular, only solid. That is what I think the guy is, a solid if not unspectacular defenseman. With Blake and Foote to kick him in the ass when/if he needs it, he could be the bruising third pair stay at home guy I'd like to see. He's not going to be a superstar for the Avs nor do they need him to be, that is what I think makes the difference between values to teams. He doesn't have to be better than he is capable of being, here. The Avs have legit number 1-3 dmen and Skrastins has been extremely solid. Considering also that Skoula may need a change of scenery to take the next step, it just seems like a good trade.
Everybody's solid with Bourque. Hell, I'd be solid with Bourque.

That said, Skoula is worth more than Gill...a lot more. In Gill, you get a physically imposing (he's HUGE) defenseman who doesn't impose. If you took Skoula and made him bigger, slower, and took away offensive ability you'd have Gill.

Why would the Avs trade Skoula straight up for Gill? If people REALLY want to get rid of Skoula so badly, I'd earlier suggested Boughner and a 4th or 5th from Carolina.

But seriously, why get rid of Skoula? I've watched every single Avs game, and I haven't seen him stand out yet in terms of defensive mistakes - that the rest of the team weren't making right along with him...

Interested in thoughts. Constructive ones, not "Skoula blows" pile-ons.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
Everybody's solid with Bourque. Hell, I'd be solid with Bourque.

That said, Skoula is worth more than Gill...a lot more. In Gill, you get a physically imposing (he's HUGE) defenseman who doesn't impose. If you took Skoula and made him bigger, slower, and took away offensive ability you'd have Gill.

Why would the Avs trade Skoula straight up for Gill? If people REALLY want to get rid of Skoula so badly, I'd earlier suggested Boughner and a 4th or 5th from Carolina.

But seriously, why get rid of Skoula? I've watched every single Avs game, and I haven't seen him stand out yet in terms of defensive mistakes - that the rest of the team weren't making right along with him...

Interested in thoughts. Constructive ones, not "Skoula blows" pile-ons.
He just doesn't use his head at all it seems like it. His transition game affects the team immensely, and in turn affects his finer points (which are his offensive abilities). Mainly, it seems like he forgot about the positioning required to be an NHL defenseman. It's like he's back in Barrie where he can just use his speed to make up for defensive lapses--such as chasing the man rather than playing positionally to take away any lanes. It's like he's using AHL tactics in the NHL, when ironically he skipped the AHL. His shot is still the best part of his game IMO, and is the only reason he's still on the powerplay over JM Liles. At least he's playing on the 3rd pairing where his mistakes are minimal, compared to years past when he's held a bigger role.

I think for the most part though, AVs fans are disappointed because had everything gone as planned (since 2000-2001), he'd be a surefire #3 on any team in the league. But because of the listed shortcomings and his inability to use his size to his advantage whatsoever, he's a 3rd pairing defenseman on nearly every team in the league. Until he can show some consistancy--something like 20-30 games of decent two-way hockey--then I'm all for getting something useful for him, while he still has SOME value.

Sure, gimme Boughner and a 4th. And then watch Pierre Lacroix turn that 4th into something better than Skoula at the deadline as well.

Closed Thread