HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers Renewed Interest in Jagr(Sportsnet)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2003, 08:33 PM
  #1
Jones23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vernon B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Rangers Renewed Interest in Jagr(Sportsnet)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...16_142713_6400

Capitals look like they'll do anything to get rid of there disgruntled player.

Looks like a perfect fit for the Rangers!...a high priced talent that nobody else wants or wants to pay.

Jones23 is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 08:46 PM
  #2
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,564
vCash: 500
Some thing's to consider:

1. Does Lindros have a contract for next season, or is it up this year. If it's up that clears some money for the Rangers (in case there is a "cap").

2. The Rangers want to trade some guys as much as Washington wants to be rid of Jagr. Carter would certainly factor into things.

3. If Washington does trade Jagr, it WILL be to the NYR.

4. No matter how much Jagr has struggled the last 3 years, Jagr and Kovalev together again would scare anybody.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 08:48 PM
  #3
MVP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
What about Carter, Poti and Lundmark for Jagr and Lang deal?

MVP is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 08:50 PM
  #4
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
New York's post-CBA situation isn't all that bad. The only big contracts on the books are I beleive Holik, de Vries, Leetch and Kasparaitis. Mind you, that's like $23 million right there

Anyways, it's the return of the rumour that just won't die. BTW - were Jagr and Kovalev ever "united" in the first place? They're both RW...though Kovalev can play center...

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 08:57 PM
  #5
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,024
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
kovalev and jagr would only ever play together on the PP when the pens had all those snipers

andora is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 09:01 PM
  #6
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
What about Carter, Poti and Lundmark for Jagr and Lang deal?
As a caps fan, i'd kill for that deal. Unless the Rangers GM is a complete moron, I don't see that happening. Lundmark is still a great prospect and considering the salaries involved, would be enough for both Blah-gr and Lang.

st_roland is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 09:17 PM
  #7
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
No matter how much Jagr has struggled the last 3 years, Jagr and Kovalev together again would scare anybody.
Why do I feel like I'm expereincing a reoccuring dream, over and over and over again?

Was "scared" when NYI acquired Bure....
Was scared when they acquired Lindros....
Was scared when they acquired Kovalev....
Was scared when they acquired Poti and later Carter....
Was scared when they signed Holik and Kasparaitus.

Sorry, I've learned, finally. Jagr and Kovalev do not "scare" me.

Trottier is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 09:33 PM
  #8
demitra382003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
i would have to think that to trade for jagr, the rangers may give up kovalev. He makes 6.5 while jagrs at 11 million. So they add 4.5 million, but by trading anyone else, they would add lots more. This way Washington gets a cheaper star who can still produce

demitra382003 is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 09:38 PM
  #9
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,496
vCash: 500
I doubt the return Jagr gets will be anything near the Carter/Poti/Lundmark package I saw someone reccomend. It's no secret Washington wants desperately to be rid of him, and they're in no position to make demands. However, I don't think it's out of the question at all that Anson Carter could be a guy that goes the other way. He'd be a nice fit on the Capitals, and would be a good start for a team looking to rebuild.

~Canucklehead~

__________________
Please visit my Official Facebook Page Mike Forward Writing for information on current and future releases.
Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 10:14 PM
  #10
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
If the Rangers trase for Jagr Slats really has lost his mind.

c-carp is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 12:00 AM
  #11
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
If the Rangers trase for Jagr Slats really has lost his mind.
Sad but true.

Bacchus is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 02:10 AM
  #12
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
New York's post-CBA situation isn't all that bad. The only big contracts on the books are I beleive Holik, de Vries, Leetch and Kasparaitis. Mind you, that's like $23 million right there
according to The Hockey News, the Rags are on the hook for $27.2 million divided amongst 7 players

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 04:06 AM
  #13
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Why do I feel like I'm expereincing a reoccuring dream, over and over and over again?

Was "scared" when NYI acquired Bure....
Was scared when they acquired Lindros....
Was scared when they acquired Kovalev....
Was scared when they acquired Poti and later Carter....
Was scared when they signed Holik and Kasparaitus.

Sorry, I've learned, finally. Jagr and Kovalev do not "scare" me.
Which is interesting, because, as a Ranger fan, Jagr and Kovalev scare me.

I would guess that any potential deal would have to include Kasparaitis going to Washington and another useful player coming to the Rangers.

My guess (and I'm not advocating this deal by any means):

To NYR: Jagr and Grier or Witt or Berry and a 2nd (only the second if Berry)

To WAS: Kasparaitis, Carter, and Malakhov

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:15 AM
  #14
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I doubt the return Jagr gets will be anything near the Carter/Poti/Lundmark package I saw someone reccomend. It's no secret Washington wants desperately to be rid of him, and they're in no position to make demands. However, I don't think it's out of the question at all that Anson Carter could be a guy that goes the other way. He'd be a nice fit on the Capitals, and would be a good start for a team looking to rebuild.

~Canucklehead~
While its true that the Capitals are desperate to move Jagr, they are not so desperate as to be willing to hurt the team further to do so.
The Caps preference is to remove as much of his salary as possible.
So...the least they get in return the better. The Rangers will want to move contracts in the process as well. Contracts that are not working out for them. Carter 9pts in 27 games as a Rangers. Kovalev has 23 pts in 40 games as a Ranger and just 2 goals this year. That's nearly $10m in contracts between those two. While most Ranger fans want Carter to go and have no interest in Kovalev leaving, Kovalev's lack of production has lasted thru 40 games and to keep him is asking for a disaster to become a complete disaster.

txpd is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:44 AM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,435
vCash: 5700
Sounds like Kovalev is living up to the pressure/expectations/play he did the last time he was in New York.

GKJ is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:52 AM
  #16
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

Anyways, it's the return of the rumour that just won't die. BTW - were Jagr and Kovalev ever "united" in the first place? They're both RW...though Kovalev can play center...
Kovy and Jagr never played together. Kovalev was on teh 2nd line with lang and Straka the past few years. Also, Kovalev rarely played center. he is muhc more comfortable on the wing

The Tang is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:45 AM
  #17
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 500
didn't Kovalev play the point for the Pens with Jagr also on the same PP unit?

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:53 AM
  #18
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
What about Carter, Poti and Lundmark for Jagr and Lang deal?
Don't kid yourself.

Lundmark, Poti and Carter alone each have more value then Jagr and his insane contract.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:55 AM
  #19
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Sounds like Kovalev is living up to the pressure/expectations/play he did the last time he was in New York.
Kovalev has been our best player. The entire freaking team has not been scoring, don't just single him out.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:02 AM
  #20
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,206
vCash: 500
Good, have him. A match made in heaven.

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:13 AM
  #21
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Kovalev has been our best player. The entire freaking team has not been scoring, don't just single him out.
Disagree. Both Messier and Dunham have been better than Kovalev. Holik as well, IMO.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:19 AM
  #22
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Which is interesting, because, as a Ranger fan, Jagr and Kovalev scare me.

I would guess that any potential deal would have to include Kasparaitis going to Washington and another useful player coming to the Rangers.

My guess (and I'm not advocating this deal by any means):

To NYR: Jagr and Grier or Witt or Berry and a 2nd (only the second if Berry)

To WAS: Kasparaitis, Carter, and Malakhov
This is probably the best type of deal for either team. Washington's going to be taking back salary in any Jagr deal, so getting Kasparitus is one of their best bets. If the Caps are going to be overpaying, it's better for them to do it on their blueline.

The Rangers get a top-end left winger back, which helps balance them out.

I'm not certain how motivated the Rangers are to get rid of Carter, nor how eager Washington is to take him on.

Overall though, I think the elements for a deal are in place.

discostu is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:24 AM
  #23
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 50
To Washington: Nedved, Poti ,Lundmark, Dunham, 1st pick '04,
2nd pick '05
To NY: Jagr, Kolzig and Lang

Peter is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:46 AM
  #24
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
didn't Kovalev play the point for the Pens with Jagr also on the same PP unit?
yeah, but that was pretty much their extent of working together.

The Tang is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 08:21 AM
  #25
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
To Washington: Nedved, Poti ,Lundmark, Dunham, 1st pick '04,
2nd pick '05
To NY: Jagr, Kolzig and Lang
Aren't there rules against trolling?

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.