HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 9/20/06 Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators 7:30pm

Old
09-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
My fault.

One of my guy friends surprised me with tickets and I got to go to the game.

It's my bad luck.

I should be banned from the SBP.

I'LL HAVE MY VENGENCE AT THE SABRES GAME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingonskates View Post
bahhha and i know your secreeeeeeeets,mrs hossa
NOT MY SECRETS!!

How did your surgery go?

I MISSED YOU!

WE ARE TOTALLY ANKLE TWINS!!

'cept I have the sens post-op therapist. Hah.

Last edited by Hell on Heels: 09-21-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Then why are you being so hard on him?
Yeah thats like the guys on the team saying we should go easy on the kid in the post game after absolutely tearing into him/lambasting him in between periods.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Ended up at the game after all and with both teams essentially having two NHL lines and two AHL lines and the difference was very obvious in the speed and calibre of play, depending on what line was on. The crispness of watching the regulars versus 'those other guys' was pretty clear. More than any other year, our team is pretty set. The team looks relatively deep at this point and pre-season will do nothing more than jockey a few lines around, not the least of which will be figuring out where Kaigorodov belongs.

Kaigorodov was really struggling the first two periods, but in the third showed a bit of a pulse with a few subtle moves and decent passes. But I think the first thing that strikes you is he is a player who has more subtle talent than breathtaking skill (although I must say, I didn't see much of the subtle talent at times). He is one of the smaller guys out there and is not fast. He isn't particularly strong and will be below average on the boards (a concern if he is going to play with Schaefer if you ask me). But it's very early and it was his first game, so I'm reserving my judgement for a while. He did come back quite well, so at least that allows Murray to give him a longer look in that he doesn't seem to be major defensive liability.

He did make one flip pass in the third period that was subtle but very impressive. When two Leafs charged him as he approached the blueline on the right side, he deftly flipped the puck 20 feet in the air (think a delicate lob wedge) and it dropped 10 feet inside the blueline on the left side where a Sens forward was moving in. It didn't create a scoring chance, but the Sens gained the zone with possesion under circumstances that it seemed Kaig simply had no choice but to dump it in and chase (a choice he undoubtedly will opt out of on many future occasions). It was the only time I straightened up and gave an impressive "hmmmm".

The player that stood out the most for me though was Hennessy. He showed good speed and was very savvy. But most of all, he had two to three set-ups that were really elite playmaking moves with great patience and vision. He just looks like a really solid forward with scoring line playmaking abiliy and it wouldn't shock me to see him get a call-up this season. With a bit more development, he looks like he could definitely fit in as 2nd line center down the road. As one of the youngest players on the ice for either team (and a few years younger than Kaigorodov), Hennessy looks like our best forward prospect after Eaves IMO.

Glass showed some nice saves and none of the goals were really his fault. A decent performance. He is bigger than I remembered from the WJC (6'3 and athletic).

Other than that, a few players looked like they should get some time in Bingo, Pecker seems to have NHL speed (he should have had a few goals thanks to Hennessy). Malec made some pretty glaring mistakes and is behind Barinka and Allison on the depth chart I would think. Unlikely we'll see him up with the Sens this year based on this performance, but it is only one game.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 09:55 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Then why are you being so hard on him?
Are you serious? Shall I sugarcoat his performance? It was bad. Deal. And this coming from the guy saying Mez and Volchenkov were bad. They weren't "unimpressive" as you say, rather steady relative to their peers.

gbl1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
EJsens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roddick View Post
Preissing on the other hand, he did have some nice shots on the power play, but a lot of times I found he was out of position and it gave the Leafs a good chance to create a shorthanded opportunity.
I thought Preissing had a really good game. His quickness was very noticeable and when he did pinch, was able to get back and cover. He has a real knack for sneaking in on the opposite side from the blueline like Redden does sometimes on the PP, although it was the right side versus Redden's pinches on the left (which could bode well or be a complete disaster with Spezza, who plays the left side boards on the PP). Can't say I can remember any instance where Ottawa was shorthanded and gave up an odd man rush because he pinched. Not saying it didn't happen, but the Leafs didn't have many great chances throughout the game. Either way, I really liked Preissing's game last night. He will be a nice addition to the team this year.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
I don't even know what's so funny about the name Corey Pecker.

He's had to say names like: Radek BONK for years.....

Oh come on. The name Bonk doesn't make me snicker nearly as much as the name Pecker does.

The name Boink on the other hand would be pretty darn funny.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
senility

Sorry. Not sure what happened there. I swear, I wasn't just looking for an opportunity to say "boink" ten times.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
phillips has been a waste of skin today
There's been lots of days were I've thought that.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
How did Hennessy do in this game?
I thought Hennessy did great, he was always in the action and he wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He even had a fight. I would be happy to see him with the big club but if it hurts his development, then I would rather see him in Bingo because he could be a key player one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I thought Preissing had a really good game. His quickness was very noticeable and when he did pinch, was able to get back and cover. He has a real knack for sneaking in on the opposite side from the blueline like Redden does sometimes on the PP, although it was the right side versus Redden's pinches on the left (which could bode well or be a complete disaster with Spezza, who plays the left side boards on the PP). Can't say I can remember any instance where Ottawa was shorthanded and gave up an odd man rush because he pinched. Not saying it didn't happen, but the Leafs didn't have many great chances throughout the game. Either way, I really liked Preissing's game last night. He will be a nice addition to the team this year.
I admit, I was being a bit too hard on Preissing and he did play a pretty good game, but I don't think he was playing as good as he can, like he was in San Jose, I guess the only real thing I didnt like from his game was the way that he tried to avoid any sort of contact.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:29 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Wait, so you guys win in the playoffs, we win in the regular season...

Who wins in the PRE-SEASON?

It's VITALLY IMPORTANT!
we win... the cup is ours

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:30 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
we win... the cup is ours
I've already got my lawn chair out on Yonge Street for the upcoming parade.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:39 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
How did Hennessy do in this game?
He was good he has some nice one on one skills made some quick moves.

re:roddick

Preissing's breakout passes were absolutely outstanding he also contains forwards with his gap control as good as anyone i have seen in Ottawa. He has a quick stick and makes forwards make bad decisions. A very intelligent player.

Volchenkov got knocked around a few times down low thats why I was unimpressed. His strengths are his defensive zone battling if he isnt dominating down low what is he here for is more or less my point. His skating did look better I do have to say. His decision making was still a little delayed when moving the puck.

Meszaros and Phillips didnt play very well together. After the playoffs and that performance last night im worried about a softmore slump for mesz.

On the leafs side Bell and White were far and away there best D men out there. Bell was flying and White was very composed.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I've already got my lawn chair out on Yonge Street for the upcoming parade.
You'll be waiting a LONG time

Schenn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajan14 View Post
You'll be waiting a LONG time
I've got a few beers to keep me company.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Bileur

I think they messed up in the replays on tsn of whatever the fights were Maloney-Ondrus and Potulny-Newbury

Old
09-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Sens are like Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
I think they messed up in the replays on tsn of whatever the fights were Maloney-Ondrus and Potulny-Newbury
Who won?

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post
Who won?
From what I can gather Newbury got the edge on the second and the first wasnt much of a fight.