HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Prospect Tracker 2006-2007

Old
10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Clash*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Stewart also looked good in the NHL and AHL before his injury and whatever other problems with desire or else that he had. Kreps's success never really transferred from the OHL. He's a decent AHLer when he's playing but he wasn't really all that great in juniors either. Lapoint is playing unbelievably it seems in the USHL, I'm really surprised he's dominating it like this, you have to be really good to dominate the USHL so that says a lot.
short stretches of a preseason stint, or two or three games in the regular season, doesn't make a career or mean anything about consistency. Being that Stewart hasn't had a full season as a pro and his first chance to really show any consistency is presently in Rochester, I'd say if he is showing he is a healthy scratch, he isn't showing much.

Clash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Is there something I am missing or unaware of? Care to explain?
Its just another example of why this team is a joke due to ownership.

Last edited by Happy Girl: 10-30-2006 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Flame
Old
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
We tried to draft in the 2003 draft in the 7th round, on the arguement that it was a leap year or something, and considering Oveckhin was very close to the cut off point, he was eligible. The NHL wouldn't let us draft him.
It had something to do with the international date line...

10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Ahh, that's right. I knew about that, but just didn't know that Glass was the guy we drafted instead.

If that had worked, everyone would have called Cohen a genius. I respect him for having the balls to at least try that.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Ahh, that's right. I knew about that, but just didn't know that Glass was the guy we drafted instead.

If that had worked, everyone would have called Cohen a genius. I respect him for having the balls to at least try that.
He didn't try it once. He tried it from the 4th round on with every freakin pick the Panthers had until the 9th round. That was like 7 times total IIRC. First time, commemorable. Twice maybe still. But even if it was only once for every round after the first attempt, you look like a fool. But they tried it twice a round in a couple rounds.

Old
10-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Optimist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
He didn't try it once. He tried it from the 4th round on with every freakin pick the Panthers had until the 9th round. That was like 7 times total IIRC. First time, commemorable. Twice maybe still. But even if it was only once for every round after the first attempt, you look like a fool. But they tried it twice a round in a couple rounds.

They picked him once with a 9th round pick.

Last edited by Happy Girl: 10-31-2006 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Flame
Optimist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
I want a Malkin ... I think Weiss could turn out to be ok after all and the move that Olesz made on the Islanders in the SO Saturday makes me wonder why he isn't used on the PP more.

Thewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewbacca View Post
I want a Malkin ... I think Weiss could turn out to be ok after all and the move that Olesz made on the Islanders in the SO Saturday makes me wonder why he isn't used on the PP more.
Because he's so good defensively that people start to think that's the only thing he's really good at. I've seen him carry the puck and fly through the zone, he's really fast with the puck and strong too, plus he has great hands and vision with his passing, I have NO idea why Martin doesn't have him out there on the PP and I think because he's not out there, his offensive development is being stagnated.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
pelts35.com

Articles about the Rochester/Syracuse game from Sunday night...

http://www.amerks.com/FeatureStories.aspx?news_id=932

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...TS02/610300335

All I can say is

Sorry to toot my own horn, but I am extremely impressed with Pelletier's outing on Sunday night. His last game action was in the first week of October and his practice is limited to before and after scheduled practice as he does not take any reps during the actual practice session. The fact that he allowed only 1 goal (on a 5 on 3) is pretty darn impressive IMO.

I'm guessing that the majority of the Rochester fans chalked that game up as a loss when they saw that Pelletier was getting the start.

Now if the Panthers could find an AHL team to loan him to or just trade him outright so that he can play on a regular basis. This situation is very unfortunate for him. He had a great training camp and deserves more than being on the outside looking in waiting for an injury to play.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 10-31-2006 at 12:01 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
LaPoint is going to be one of the best picks in the 2006 draft when it's all said and done.... that's why I had him ranked in the top 35 on my rankings.

He's dominating the USHL right now and will do the same in the NCAA shortly...he's a top four defenseman, similar in style to Jay-Bo.

His hockey sense is 10 out of 10.

I think he's surpassed Jeff Petry as the top prospect in the USHL right now because he's more proactive with the puck.

Astute selection.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
They picked him once with a 9th round pick.
If you were to pay for access to the Sun Sentinel archives, you could do some research and learn they tried every round. Dudley AND Cohen were both quoted back then as saying they started in the fourth round and tried every round there after.

Old
10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
If you were to pay for access to the Sun Sentinel archives, you could do some research and learn they tried every round. Dudley AND Cohen were both quoted back then as saying they started in the fourth round and tried every round there after.
From what I recall, Dudley attempted to draft him 4 separate times in that draft, but only got league approval in the 9th round.

Here's an excerpt of the only article I could find...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_112861887

Quote:
The 6-2, 200-pound winger is so good, Panthers general manager Rick Dudley tried to change the definition of time to get him.

Here's what happened: The NHL's draft rules state a player must turn 18 by September 15 in the year of the draft to be eligible. Ovechkin was born on September 17, 1985. Dudley's contention at the draft last June was that since there had been four leap years since Ovechkin's birth, Ovechkin was actually 18 years and two days old on September 15. On Dudley's fourth attempt to convince the NHL of this, the league allowed the Panthers to pick Ovechkin in the ninth round. The pick was later ruled ineligible...

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Clash*

And if you accessed the Sentinel's archives, you'd see that Dudley drafted him at the behest of Cohen. But enough time wasted on making Cohen look like a fool, as he does it well enough on his own.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Chuck Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
LaPoint is going to be one of the best picks in the 2006 draft when it's all said and done.... that's why I had him ranked in the top 35 on my rankings.

He's dominating the USHL right now and will do the same in the NCAA shortly...he's a top four defenseman, similar in style to Jay-Bo.

His hockey sense is 10 out of 10.

I think he's surpassed Jeff Petry as the top prospect in the USHL right now because he's more proactive with the puck.

Astute selection.

In all of the USHL? Are we forgetting Petrecki?

Chuck Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
has LaPoint come closed to filling his 6'3" frame? Does he have a nice slap shot? He seems to be creative with the puck.

Thewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Chuck Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewbacca View Post
has LaPoint come closed to filling his 6'3" frame? Does he have a nice slap shot? He seems to be creative with the puck.
He's put on almost 20 pounds in the last year. But realisticly he's got a while before he will end up in the show any ways.

Old
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
FlaPanthers7

I may have missed something, but what happened to Globke? He looked like a good prospect and now he's all the way down our rankings list.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Chuck Schwartz

LaPoint named USHL defensive POTW for the second time in 4 weeks.

Old
11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Acadmus

Scoring for our Rochester prospects:
Sprukts: 7gp, 2g 5a +2
Larman: 7gp, 4g 2a +2
Booth: 8gp, 1g 4a +4
Jacina: 7gp, 3g 1a +3
Vallin: 6gp, 0g 3a +4
Stewart: 7gp, 1g 1a +1
Lojek: 7gp, 0g 2a +5
Globke: 5gp, 0g 1a -1
MacDonald: 6gp, 0g 1a -2
Meyer: 4gp, 0g 0a -2
Semenov: 4gp, 0g 0a +6 (AWOL, suspended)
Kreps: 5gp, 0g 0a even

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:03 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
frolik with 2 goals last night, 9-9, good for 18 pts and is catching 2nd place fast... with about oh 9 less games played

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:42 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
frolik with 2 goals last night, 9-9, good for 18 pts and is catching 2nd place fast... with about oh 9 less games played
1st star as well.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Acadmus

Lojek is now a team-high +8, and Sprukts has 9 points in 9 games.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Chuck Schwartz

I left LaPoint a message yesterday and jokingly asked him why he didn't have any points on friday. (For those of you following, LaPoint had registered at least a point in his first 7 games, 11 points total) He replied that if you look at the box score no one had any assists that night and the ref's told him that they dont take care of it anymore that the people in the scorebooth do. So in all actuality he had 2 assists and said it should be on pointstreak soon.

With that in mind he now has 14 points in his first 9 games and has registered a point in every game he's played in the USHL.

Old
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Slitty

Without a discussion as to why and who is to blame... what's happening to Semenov?

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Without a discussion as to why and who is to blame... what's happening to Semenov?
He was probably our #1 defensive call up, but apparently didn't like getting sent to the A (two-way contract which made him the most expendable choice among our glut of 5th/6th defensemen) and is now playing in Russia. Florida still retains his rights.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote