HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Doesn't Roy Play in the Classic

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

vCash: 500
Why Doesn't Roy Play in the Classic

The natural and most obvious choice would be Patrick Roy to play in the Heritage Classic this weekend? Just to even the score for Messier playing. It will only take one weekend - 3 days at most out of Roy's retired life..... or are things not patched up yet between him and the Habs? If not, then come on big boy - get over it.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Darz

Would of been nice to see #33 in there, but whatcha gonna do. I assume it was his decision not to particapate.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:55 AM
belko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Would of been nice to see #33 in there, but whatcha gonna do. I assume it was his decision not to particapate.
Yeah, it would indeed have been nice. I saw a little blurb with Jacques Demers yesterday where he said he'd phoned Patrick and asked, but was politely turned down. At least they tried! What's Racicot up to these days?

Old
11-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkosky
What's Racicot up to these days?
He's played just about everywhere:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4433

Old
11-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Why Roy turned it down ? I mean even 50 years old guys will play , this game gonna be one of the memorable moment of the season and i wonder why Roy don't want to be a part of it .

Old
11-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Why Roy turned it down ? I mean even 50 years old guys will play , this game gonna be one of the memorable moment of the season and i wonder why Roy don't want to be a part of it .
Roy dances to the beat of a different drummer sometimes. Remember he was the one who called Gretz and told him he didn't wanna be on the olympic team.
Maybe he's still a little bitter towards the habs org.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

why ? The management has changed twice... he has put himself in that situation anyways ....

Old
11-18-2003, 11:08 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
wow, old red light
i didn't know he was still playing
i remember he had 1 good game against the flyers when roy threw up a stinker on tsn, and garry green & jim hughston said the nickname must die.

a moment from the good ol days just like that old opening theme for tsn hockey. it really got me pumped to watch the first period before i fell asleep or had to go to bed.

just reminising

Old
11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Habs4Life

After what Montreal did to him i wouldn't play either....

Ever since Montreal did that to him, the canadien's haven't been the same team

Old
11-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
wow, old red light
i didn't know he was still playing
i remember he had 1 good game against the flyers when roy threw up a stinker on tsn, and garry green & jim hughston said the nickname must die.

a moment from the good ol days just like that old opening theme for tsn hockey. it really got me pumped to watch the first period before i fell asleep or had to go to bed.

just reminising
Along the same lines:

I remember Red Light getting a shutout against the Oilers, I beleive the score was 3-0. It was the luckiest shutout I've ever seen. He stopped more shots that he never saw......

Old
11-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Guy!

I believe Roy's motivation for turning this down is about the same motivation that Gretz had for not even lacing up skates for two years after he retired:

They just needed time away from the game.

He stated when he retired that he wanted to walk away from the game, much as Gretz did when he retired, and lacing them up, even for a trivial outdoor alumni game, would probably have the effect of washing up some memories and feelings that haven't quite ebbed into the darkness of age yet. He doesn't want to come back and play more, but I'm sure if he laced them up he'd enjoy himself greatly and then the talk about him coming back would intensify and the offers would pour in.

And I just don't think that's what he wants at all.

It's unfortunate for us (and him as well, to an extent) that this game is taking place the year after retirement for him, because I believe, had it happened two or three years in the future, Roy would have been there with that famous old Hab mask ready to be worn once again.

That is not the case, however, so I think I'll wish him well with his team and enjoy the game in its own right.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
They just needed time away from the game.

He stated when he retired that he wanted to walk away from the game, much as Gretz did when he retired, and lacing them up, even for a trivial outdoor alumni game, would probably have the effect of washing up some memories and feelings that haven't quite ebbed into the darkness of age yet. He doesn't want to come back and play more, but I'm sure if he laced them up he'd enjoy himself greatly and then the talk about him coming back would intensify and the offers would pour in.
Roy is on the ice almost everyday and he help his junior franchise , The Quebec Remparts . He still love the game and he take his role on the Rempart really seriously .

Old
11-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Habsfunk

It doesn't help that Rejean Houle is the man organizing the Habs old-timer team. I'm sure Roy still holds a great deal of bitterness towards him. He's also on record saying he wants to avoid the spotlight for a while and just wants to take it easy with his family in Quebec City for a bit before he gets back into the NHL.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Medicine Twin

Where's Hayward and Dryden?

Old
11-18-2003, 01:02 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
Where's Hayward and Dryden?
Yes! Hayward was my favorite goalie for a lot of years! You rule, you like tool and Hayward! hell yeah!

Old
11-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Wildcat

Apparently Dryden only plays on defense now, so scratch him as a goalie.

Demers did call Roy, like someone else mentioned, but he jokingly said he wants 4 Million US, so in other words he said no. He’s too involved in his junior team right now and wants to stay away from playing hockey.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:54 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk
It doesn't help that Rejean Houle is the man organizing the Habs old-timer team. I'm sure Roy still holds a great deal of bitterness towards him. He's also on record saying he wants to avoid the spotlight for a while and just wants to take it easy with his family in Quebec City for a bit before he gets back into the NHL.
Roy is not bitter towards Houle, but rather Tremblay. "I love Rejean Houle," Roy said sharply. "When he made the trade, it was very difficult for him. He had tears in his eyes in his office the day he explained to me I could not return. I still believe in him. It was a coach's decision, and he had to show support in his coach."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Roy dances to the beat of a different drummer sometimes. Remember he was the one who called Gretz and told him he didn't wanna be on the olympic team.
Maybe he's still a little bitter towards the habs org.
True, but I think the reason Roy called Gretz to back out was because his ego was hurt when he was not chosen as one of the "elite 8" who would automatically be chosen for the team even before the remaining players would be considered. So Roy, although at the top of the list, still had to compete against humans like Joseph, Belfour and Burke to earn his spot. Anyway, it's a shame he is not playing in the classic.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:46 PM
skidboot

How about Chris Chelios?

Could he not play in the game?

Old
11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
The natural and most obvious choice would be Patrick Roy to play in the Heritage Classic this weekend? Just to even the score for Messier playing. It will only take one weekend - 3 days at most out of Roy's retired life..... or are things not patched up yet between him and the Habs? If not, then come on big boy - get over it.
The guy has been a major league dick since 1993. You would expect him to change now?

Old
11-18-2003, 06:15 PM
deandebean

major dick or not, he would have made the game much closer than what it's going to be. It's going to be terrible for Habs fans.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
major dick or not, he would have made the game much closer than what it's going to be. It's going to be terrible for Habs fans.
I agree. He should be there. The reason he's not going is because he's a dick. He can throw out all the lame excuses he wants, what it comes down to is he's a dick and has been one of the biggest in hockey since 1993.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:34 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I agree. He should be there. The reason he's not going is because he's a dick. He can throw out all the lame excuses he wants, what it comes down to is he's a dick and has been one of the biggest in hockey since 1993.
Sad, but true. Patrick Roy cares only about one thing: Patrick Roy. This exhibition game is being trumped up because it's Gretzky's spotlight - his only return to the ice so that his kids can see him play in an Edmonton Oilers jersey. It is not Patrick Roy's show, which IMO is the paramount reason why Roy will not go.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Sad, but true. Patrick Roy cares only about one thing: Patrick Roy. This exhibition game is being trumped up because it's Gretzky's spotlight - his only return to the ice so that his kids can see him play in an Edmonton Oilers jersey. It is not Patrick Roy's show, which IMO is the paramount reason why Roy will not go.
Didn't think about that, but it's a really good explanation to his no-show.

Especially after his #1 fan (Demers) came begging for him to play. I'm really sad about the whole thing.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:46 PM
CHareth

I'm just curious - hopefully someone here knows. Was Scotty Bowman asked to coach the Habs for this game? I respect Demers, but I was just wondering whether Bowman was asked or not.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:06 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Yup, that is so true. Kind of reminds me of Roy not playing for Team Canada at the Olympics 2 years ago, because they had not named a #1 goalie...at least in my mind. He has one of the biggest egos in hockey period.

Closed Thread