HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Will Oates Dress?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2003, 08:37 AM
  #1
Copper&Blue4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SURREY
Country: Canada
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
When Will Oates Dress?

Hey i was wondering if any of you knew when Adam is going to lace them up for the first time as an Oiler. I am coming from BC for the Heritage game this weekend and i was just wondering if there is a slight possibility that he may dress. If you guys have heard anything let me know.

Copper&Blue4Life is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 08:40 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper&Blue4Life
Hey i was wondering if any of you knew when Adam is going to lace them up for the first time as an Oiler. I am coming from BC for the Heritage game this weekend and i was just wondering if there is a slight possibility that he may dress. If you guys have heard anything let me know.
I doubt it... he is in physical shape, but not game shape. It is probably 1-2 weeks of practice and icetime before he is ready to go.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 08:48 AM
  #3
McMatty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I doubt it... he is in physical shape, but not game shape. It is probably 1-2 weeks of practice and icetime before he is ready to go.
Man oh man. The Oiler faithful are getting ancy already; I can't wait for this time next week when we are falling off our seats with frustration/anticipation of his debut.


McMatty is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 08:56 AM
  #4
Bohologo
Registered User
 
Bohologo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tokyo
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Call me a contrarian on this one

I think we should keep expectations to a reasonable level on the impact Oates is going to have. Over 60 games, I suspect he's capable of scoring 10 goals and adding 35 assists. The guy is 41, hasn't been to training camp, is up to speed (so to speak) on the Oilers' system, and didn't exactly light it up last year playing with luminaries like Kariya and Sykora.

Oates is a short-term stop gap measure, not the final element to a Cup-running team.

Not to rain on the parade, but he's not here for long, and Oates' arrival won't completely transform the fortunes of this team.

Bohologo is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 09:05 AM
  #5
McMatty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
I think we should keep expectations to a reasonable level on the impact Oates is going to have. Over 60 games, I suspect he's capable of scoring 10 goals and adding 35 assists. The guy is 41, hasn't been to training camp, is up to speed (so to speak) on the Oilers' system, and didn't exactly light it up last year playing with luminaries like Kariya and Sykora.

Oates is a short-term stop gap measure, not the final element to a Cup-running team.

Not to rain on the parade, but he's not here for long, and Oates' arrival won't completely transform the fortunes of this team.
I don't think anyone expects the cup with the signing Oates, but for a team whose biggest UFA acquisitions include Cross (retained) and Staois, the Oates signing is overwhelmingly exciting.

You site his lack of production last year; well, what about the crap system he played last year (I'm not a fan of super defensive systems, even if they let you win games). Let him lose in EDM, a much more offensively minded club, and I foresee an increase in production.

McMatty is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 09:07 AM
  #6
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Not to rain on the parade, but he's not here for long, and Oates' arrival won't completely transform the fortunes of this team.
We weren't completely hopeless before he arrived, but with Oates you can be sure that he will at least improve our faceoffs, powerplay, and leadership. If he plays about 60 games, I'd expect somewhere in the 30-35 points range..

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 09:16 AM
  #7
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
I think we should keep expectations to a reasonable level on the impact Oates is going to have. Over 60 games, I suspect he's capable of scoring 10 goals and adding 35 assists. The guy is 41, hasn't been to training camp, is up to speed (so to speak) on the Oilers' system, and didn't exactly light it up last year playing with luminaries like Kariya and Sykora.

Oates is a short-term stop gap measure, not the final element to a Cup-running team.

Not to rain on the parade, but he's not here for long, and Oates' arrival won't completely transform the fortunes of this team.
Realism, now that's the kinda' thing that can really kill a good party! Hey when the vault has been so tightly closed for so long, this little wedge of green chee$e is like manna from the Edmonton Investors Group. So allow us our illusions knowing well that we Copper fanatics who frequent this sometimes overly Blue symposium are many things but deluded we are not.

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 09:32 AM
  #8
goldenchild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Howard 100
Country: India
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Call me crazy but I say he plays sat night even as the 12th forward and only used on the PP. I mean Srno only played a few shifts same with Salmo in their first game, I think Oates could play 4 or 5 mins of PP time.

goldenchild is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 09:36 AM
  #9
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
I think we should keep expectations to a reasonable level on the impact Oates is going to have. Over 60 games, I suspect he's capable of scoring 10 goals and adding 35 assists. The guy is 41, hasn't been to training camp, is up to speed (so to speak) on the Oilers' system, and didn't exactly light it up last year playing with luminaries like Kariya and Sykora.

Oates is a short-term stop gap measure, not the final element to a Cup-running team.

Not to rain on the parade, but he's not here for long, and Oates' arrival won't completely transform the fortunes of this team.
Don't forget, he had a broken hand last year so that didn't help. When you look at his playoff performance, he tied for the team lead in scoring with Sykora, and was playing over 19 minutes a night.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-18-2003, 10:51 AM
  #10
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
Call me crazy but I say he plays sat night even as the 12th forward and only used on the PP. I mean Srno only played a few shifts same with Salmo in their first game, I think Oates could play 4 or 5 mins of PP time.
I'd say that's a distinct possibility - bring him along slowly, use him to his strengths (faceoffs, PP) where his conditioning won't be as much of a factor (compared to, say, PK or 4-on-4).

I'd give odds of him playing Saturday as 30%. Take THAT to the bank...!

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 11:04 AM
  #11
PigeonCamera
Registered User
 
PigeonCamera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Petr Klima's Trunk
Country: Canada
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Realism, now that's the kinda' thing that can really kill a good party! Hey when the vault has been so tightly closed for so long, this little wedge of green chee$e is like manna from the Edmonton Investors Group. So allow us our illusions knowing well that we Copper fanatics who frequent this sometimes overly Blue symposium are many things but deluded we are not.
Good heavens man, you really love to read your own posts don't you!

I'm just kidding...its just amazing how much thought you put into all of your posts. Keep it up, 'cause they are most certainly a fun read.

PigeonCamera is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 12:03 PM
  #12
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
Keep it up, 'cause they are most certainly a fun read.
And confusing! It feels like I'm lost in Alice's Wonderland and the Chesire Cat is about to pop up out of nowhere..

Cerebral is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.