HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has the best top 6 D in the league?

Old
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Hollywood

vCash: 500
Who has the best top 6 D in the league?

With new additions on D for us this year it certainly moves us up the list in best defence. Are we at the top now? If not, who has a better top 6?

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
With new additions on D for us this year it certainly moves us up the list in best defence. Are we at the top now? If not, who has a better top 6?
I think we are in the top 10 for sure as long as we stay healthy.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:36 PM
IlyaAlexanderMalkin

Calgary and Nashville for sure....

IlyaAlexanderMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaAlexanderMalkin View Post
Calgary and Nashville for sure....
Phoenix Yotes with Boynton, Jovo, Morris and Co.

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:59 PM
VADEN

calgary

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Capn Brown

WoW! I hate the Dux as much as anybody else, but that doesn't make me biased enough to not consider Pronger & Neidermeyer when assessing the NHL's best D.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:10 PM
riseandfall9

Calgary and Anaheim for sure lol...

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
FuTMaR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Calgary and Anaheim for sure lol...
ducks have best 1-2 in league for sure but there 3-6 sucks

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
JimBeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
I think we are in the top 10 for sure as long as we stay healthy.
Thats a big IF! LOL

JimBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
The Kings probably have better 1-6 depth.

However, the Ducks and their two # 1's are still probably ahead of the Kings' one #1 and two #2's.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
ILuvLA

Isn't this about more than a 1-2 punch - i.e., 1-6 on defense?
I agree that the Ducks have the biggest 1-2, but look what happened with their D in their pre-season without Nieds or Pronger. If one or both go down with injury... A team of all stars does not necessarily mean the Cup. After all, who picked Edmonton & Carolina last preseaon to go as far as they did? No one.

For 1-6 depth overall, I'd go with Calgary and Carolina.

Last edited by ILuvLA: 09-22-2006 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added to post
ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Fat Elvis

So the addition of Blake and subtraction of Corvo make LA a defensive powerhouse? I remember all the complaining about how absolutely sucky the D was last year. You can't forget about the age of Miller, Matty and Blake. Who knows what we'll get with Sopel. On paper LA has a good defense, in January it's another thing.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
So the addition of Blake and subtraction of Corvo make LA a defensive powerhouse? I remember all the complaining about how absolutely sucky the D was last year. You can't forget about the age of Miller, Matty and Blake. Who knows what we'll get with Sopel. On paper LA has a good defense, in January it's another thing.
I think that it has more to do with the belief that the D played well below their ability last season. For one, Miller and Sopel were injured the whole time. Also, as for Sopel, he came in late, so he's an addition of sorts. Then, there were other players like Norstrom and Gleason who didn't play as well as they're capable. I think that most people are confident that Norstrom will bounce back, and Miller and Sopel are healthy and have been impressive so far in camp.

Of course, Blake is a huge addition and the "loss" of Corvo is rather forgettable. Oh, and, finally, part of the reason why the D struggled last year could've been that the team needed a defenseman all season and, because they didn't get it, relied on Weaver and Dempsey, who were disappointing, themselves.

Nothing went right with regards to defensive play from the D corps, so does it not make sense to have optimism that it can only be better?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 05:57 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that it has more to do with the belief that the D played well below their ability last season. For one, Miller and Sopel were injured the whole time. Also, as for Sopel, he came in late, so he's an addition of sorts. Then, there were other players like Norstrom and Gleason who didn't play as well as they're capable. I think that most people are confident that Norstrom will bounce back, and Miller and Sopel are healthy and have been impressive so far in camp.

Of course, Blake is a huge addition and the "loss" of Corvo is rather forgettable. Oh, and, finally, part of the reason why the D struggled last year could've been that the team needed a defenseman all season and, because they didn't get it, relied on Weaver and Dempsey, who were disappointing, themselves.

The only bright spots on D were Visnovsky and Corvo, but that had to do with offense. Nothing went right with regards to defensive play, so it can only be better this season, no?
I agree. Plus the fact that a lot of players were playing out of their comfort zone(Norstrom on the PP). Blake allows players like Norstrom and Miller to go back to what they are good at.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Fat Elvis

They may be relying on Weaver again this season. I agree the defense this season Should be a lot better than last season. There are still many IF's that some with it though imo. Blake is a big addition, corvo is a good -, a healthy Sopel should help, Matty playing a more Matty like role. But what if Gleason is only this good? I'm a big Gleason fan, mostly because I want to see the kids do well. Health is another concern for me. But you all are probably right about the King D being good, not sure about top 10.

Old
09-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I agree. Plus the fact that a lot of players were playing out of their comfort zone(Norstrom on the PP). Blake allows players like Norstrom and Miller to go back to what they are good at.

What was Miller good at, it's been so long I can't remember?

Old
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Defense. When healthy he is a rock defensively.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Osprey

Quote:
...battling attackers in the corners and behind the net, and preventing them from going straight to the net. He's awesome at it when his back allows him to be.

Old
09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

Nothing went right with regards to defensive play from the D corps, so does it not make sense to have optimism that it can only be better?

I agree. Sopel is still somewhat of an unknown as far as this team, so it is like he's a new guy this season. Hopefully, Miller's surgery worked and his back will hold up, if it does, we will see a Miller that we haven't seen in a few years. Blake? Personally, I'm looking forward to his big *** checks.

Old
09-22-2006, 06:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Beauchemin does not "suck."

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I agree. They're solid 1-4, at least.

Old
09-22-2006, 06:35 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Agree that he doesn't suck - but I'd like to see what Beauchemin does without Nieds or Pronger as his pairing to see how his game evolves. You have to admit that Nieds & Pronger would make ANYONE look good.

Old
09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Nashville has a good one. Calgary is nice.

But, you could take Pronger, Niedermayer and 4 strategically placed trash cans, and they would still be the best defense in the league. The combination of Pronger and Niedermayer is that devasting.

09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
He hasn't played especially well in their preseason games, has he?

Regardless, he's had one good year in his career playing with Scott Niedermayer, I don't think you can give him all too much credit. I think he's a "wait and see" kind of situation.

Pronger and Niedermayer are obviously elite but O'Donnell is not made for the new NHL, Vishnevski was shipped out, and Beauchemin is a good defenseman who still has to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

Back to the topic at hand, if you make the assumption that every player in the league is completely healthy for 82 games, only a few teams with better 1-6 (or 7) depth come to mind: Calgary, Buffalo, and Phoenix, maybe Vancouver as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
Nashville has a good one. Calgary is nice.

But, you could take Pronger, Niedermayer and 4 strategically placed trash cans, and they would still be the best defense in the league. The combination of Pronger and Niedermayer is that devasting.
The same comment I always make when someone brings this up is to remember how many cups St. Louis won with Pronger and MacInnis.

Josh Deitell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 06:50 PM
bland

I'll say it, Blake is NOT an improvement over Corvo in the defensive zone. Both are poor defenders, but the difference in the transitional game should be enormous. Blake's a far better passer, where as Corvo's strength's were all of the selfish variety - strictly shooting and stickhandling. Blake has the capability of making his teammates more effective.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote