HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Holy OVER-REACTION batman

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
i think oates is a great short-term solution but i'd put dollars to dimes he doesn't lace them up for the oilers in the playoffs unless he feels that they are a legitimate contender at the deadline.
I don't know, you raise some great points but I don't think Oates considered the Ducks a contender, just like everyone else. I'm not saying that the Oilers are contenders but he just might help us out in the playoff if he likes it here.

Old
11-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Hairball

G2K- can you really blame the fans here? We just won the Grey Cup, we have a HUGE event coming up at the end of the week, we just signed a big name free agent.

Signing him is like that time in high school when you had a crush on that girl and she kept saying no, and you kept asking her and getting rejected, and then one day, she agreed to play baseball with you.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
Signing him is like that time in high school when you had a crush on that girl and she kept saying no, and you kept asking her and getting rejected, and then one day, she agreed to play baseball with you.
Brilliant analogy. Especially the double entendre of "baseball" ... very clever.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:27 PM
gretzky2kurri

I guess I could have chosen my words a bit better.

And I'm certainly NOT painting everyone here with the same brush.

I'm very happy about this. He will fill some important voids on this team. I just hope it isn't a disruption for the team/line-up. And they DON'T spend mega games trying to make him a first line threat. Like I said earlier, this team has some HORSE POWER, and Oates fixes alot of other problems with the line up.

If Reasoner was healthy.....I wouldn't be near as happy with this though. Martys injury made this a "must" for Lowe. Kudos.

I guess when I read that other thread, it got me worried that 2 months from now there would be "Oates stealing prospects ice-time and doing nothing" and "why isn't he leading the team in assists?" type threads splattered everywhere.

You heard it here.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:38 PM
windowlicker

Lets just say with Oates in the lineup right now, the Oilers have as much a chance to be in the Stanley Cup Finals this year as the Ducks had last year before the first round matchup with Detroit.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:17 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I guess I could have chosen my words a bit better.

And I'm certainly NOT painting everyone here with the same brush.

I'm very happy about this. He will fill some important voids on this team. I just hope it isn't a disruption for the team/line-up. And they DON'T spend mega games trying to make him a first line threat. Like I said earlier, this team has some HORSE POWER, and Oates fixes alot of other problems with the line up.

If Reasoner was healthy.....I wouldn't be near as happy with this though. Martys injury made this a "must" for Lowe. Kudos.

I guess when I read that other thread, it got me worried that 2 months from now there would be "Oates stealing prospects ice-time and doing nothing" and "why isn't he leading the team in assists?" type threads splattered everywhere.

You heard it here.
True enough. Obviously I'm a big fan of the move, and I plan to dwell on the acquisition at least until he gets in to the lineup. My excitement is pretty much along the lines of what's been mentioned here... just a total departure from what we have come to expect as Oilfans.

However, my enthusiam aside, Oates should only bring certain expectations given his style of play and the stage in his career. This could be a match made in heaven, or a complete disaster - but the result will likely be in between.

I'm thinking that Oates might help the Oilers get better positioning in the standings (maybe 5th or 6th) that may lead to a first round upset. I think we can expect Oates to help improve the powerplay (which will have dramatic effects on our point totals IMO), and obviously on the faceoff dot. I also think that this can be achieved through playing 8-11 minutes a night.

Closed Thread