HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Go Northwest, Mark

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 03:27 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Go Northwest, Mark

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/42816.htm

Old
11-18-2003, 03:33 AM
KING

Messier Likely to Play in Old-Timers' Game

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/18/sp...E-messier.html

Old
11-18-2003, 06:47 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING
I realy think that Mess should attend. He deserves to be there and we will survive a few days with out him. I would realy like to see him in the game with the team he became a legion with.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:23 AM
True Blue

I think that both Mess and Jackass have a few more things to worry about besides going to Edmonton. I know that the sentiment in all of us wants Mess to go, however I think that as a Captain, putting the team first is important. And as president, GM & coach, Sather should be more worriying about getting his team ready to play. Sorry, but both Messier and Sather going there when the Rangers are going nowhere AGAIN, is a mistake. To me, it is a lack of commitment to the current team. We are not one of the top teams in the league. We are fighting desperately just to be in the 8th spot. I'm sure that Leetch would like to go to Alumnni weekend at his college and play some hockey there, but you do not see it.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
I agree Blue. The last thing Messier needs is MORE travel and MORE ice time. I don't care if it is just for show. He and the COACH should be with the team, worrying about finding a way to fix this mess.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:07 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
He and the COACH should be with the team, worrying about finding a way to fix this mess.
Exactly. Seems to me that it is somewhat more important to attend practice and make is show what it is to be committed. And it should be more imporant for Sather to come up with a gameplan for Sunday's game as opposed to coming up with a gameplan for the Edmonton alumni.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Fletch

I think it's good for Mess..

Sather, the Rangers and hockey. Mess gets some needed rest, and gets to relax and have some fun. Sather gets to smoke many cigars and the team will be away from the Rangers and the press will be away from the Rangers for a couple days. Further, I'm sure Mess has 100% genuine support of all his teammates for this and all will be watching.

Comparing this event to Leetch's homecoming weekend at college just doesn't do the event justice. Perhaps comparing it to an All Star game would be more appropriate.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:25 AM
True Blue

Just how is it good for Messier? We have a game on Sunday at 5. So more travel the night before an afternoon game is good? You know that Jackass will have him in for at least 16-18 minutes the next night. And skipping practice is good? Messier is the Captain of this team. He should be setting an example. And skipping practice when it is clear that the team needs more of it does not set a good example. What kind of example does it set?
And while it may be good for Sather (and Sather only) that he gets away from the media, is it good that he is away from the team the night before he needs to have a game plan formulated for the Sens?
I'm sorry, but I think that the needs of the Ragners outweigh the needs of feel-good event. If Messier wants to go and play at an Old-timers game, I have no problem with it. Retire and feel free to do what you want. It is an unnecessary risk. Like it or not, there IS an injury risk here, not to mention more wear and tear on a 43 year old. And if making a gameplan for the Oilers alumni is the most important thing for Sather, then he should likewise, finally retire and then do what they want.
Both Messier and Sather are putting the need of the Rangers aside to do what they want to do. This has nothing to do with the event itself. I think that the event is a gread idea. However, to me, ignoring the needs of NYR, just for yourselves is not a team-oriented thing. Sather wants to make the practice early on Saturday and make his gameplan early, and THEN fly, it's fine with me. Just be back in time for Sunday's game. However, a 43 year old Messier skipping practice ONCE AGAIN, to fly to the far side of the world, and then come back and play the next day is selfish.
I may be wrong, but I think that by attending the game, both Mess and Sather are doing a diservice to the Rangers.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:26 AM
JR#9*

I knew a big deal would be made about this.

Too me it's nothing.The team will be in the west already and Slats and Mess are flying on Lil' Jimmy jet so the travel stuff is nonsense as the inside of that jet is nicer than most of the homes we live in.

And is it really that big a deal that that Mess play in this historic game on a team that is argueably the best of alltime and one that wouldn't be complete w/o Mess in the lineup?

It's not like it's going to be a physical contest that leaves the guy drained or anything.

And as far as missing practice, Mess doesn't always skate anyway and not having Slats there is no big deal as Renney is the strategy guy anyway.

A big deal about nothing IMO

Old
11-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
Blue said it best. Let him retire if he wants to play.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Jackson Ranger

All I can say is I hope there is a blizzard and the Old Man and the Slats get snowed in and Renney runs the team with hopefully the youngins getting some quality minutes.

Either that or we leave Mess and Slats in Edmonton and we get back York!!!

Old
11-18-2003, 10:40 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
Blue said it best. Let him retire if he wants to play.
Stop already.

The guy is going to play in a allstar type of game that is as rare as it gets.He was a member of maybe the greatest team of all time and he has a chance to play in this NON-PHYSICAL game and will likely get a charge out of playing in it.

He isn't flying out from NY saturady morning for Chrsits sake, he's flying Thursday night from Colorado, a few HOURS away, not the far end of the world TB, and he is flying there on a jet that offers more comforts then our own homes.

Luxury couches, beds, whatever, it's like being in your own F'in living room.

And then he's flying home Saturady night, the day before a game.

Do you guys even realize that a good number of players stay out all sorts of hours clubbing, getting boozed up and whatever else, all on nights before the game.

That's stuff you can cry about---Mess playing in this game is not a diservice to the NYR's and the complaints are ridiculous.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Sorry TB, you're making a mountain out of mole hill. I absolutely agree with JR on this one.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Larry Melnyk

Honestly, I think Messier should go to Edmonton also..it's the coming back part I don't like..

But seriously, this is a special event for Hockey in Canada and I think Messier should be there..Also, the way hockey players are, my bet is Messier's teamates on the Rangers also want him at the game and that's a big reason to me..So, really, he should go...But, again, take your time coming back!..And, honestly, Sunday wouldn't be a bad game to give the old man a day off..

Now, The Clueless Sather is another story.....During Saturday night when that smug basterd is out there, the Rangers may very well be in the middle of a 4 game winless streak (and 6 out of the last 7) with Ottawa and Tampa Bay on deck while the Buffoon from Banf is out chomping on Cigars and telling stories...Doesn't sound kosher unless you Just let Renney coach the team on Sunday rather then having an unfocused Sather....Not that it matters with Sather..And I guess Renney is doing the caoching anyway..

Old
11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I've got a bigger problem with Sather going than I do Messier. I don't care if Renney's calling the shots, Sather has chosen to wear the crown as coach and he has to bear responsibility for that title. This team BETTER be prepared for Ottawa on Sunday afternoon.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I don't care if Renney's calling the shots, Sather has chosen to wear the crown as coach and he has to bear responsibility for that title. This team BETTER be prepared for Ottawa on Sunday afternoon.
Exactly. As far as Jackass is concerned, if the team is not prepared to play AGAIN on Sunday afternoon, it is ALL on Sather. He IS the coach of this team and not the 80's Oilers anymore.
As for Messier going,

"Sorry TB, you're making a mountain out of mole hill. I absolutely agree with JR on this one"

It's just my opinion, here guys. Not saying I'm right or wrong, just what I think is the right course.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Your criticism of Sather is fair--especially given the fact that this group is rarely fully ready to play a game. However, a real team should be able to motivate itself, without exclusively relying on its' coach for one game.

And honestly, it's one game we're talking about here. For most teams, it would be a non-issue. Only where there is a group of mis-matched talent does it become a mountain.

Whether or not Sather is here for one practice really doesn't matter. The problems with this organization started long before this game on Saturday was even conceived. They'll be here when Sather gets back too. Regardless of whether the Rangers are ready or not for Ottawa.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

to me its an embarrassment if messier plays. if he wants to go that fine with me but to put on another teams jersey while he is still a ranger is bs. i could care less if sather goes but messier should not be playing in this game

Old
11-18-2003, 11:47 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
to me its an embarrassment if messier plays. if he wants to go that fine with me but to put on another teams jersey while he is still a ranger is bs. i could care less if sather goes but messier should not be playing in this game
Yeah, b/c the Oilers had nothing to do with his history and Mark's place in hockey history has nothing to do with the city of Edmonton right???

Give me a break already.Is he going to lace 'em up for the real Hab-Olier game that night?If that were the case you could complain but this is a unique situation and him wearing an Oiler jersey for a game like this getting you upset is just ridiculous.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Jackson Ranger

I'm with TB on this one. How many other active players are playing in the game? I guess since Mess is so old AND STILL playing puts him in a boat all by himself but I just don't think he should be playing.

I guess my question would be if Lou Lamoriello was invited and his team had a game at 5pm on Sunday, would he go? I don't think he would. And I think that is probably what separates Slats from Lou.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Give me a break already.Is he going to lace 'em up for the real Hab-Olier game that night?If that were the case you could complain but this is a unique situation and him wearing an Oiler jersey for a game like this getting you upset is just ridiculous.
Yeah, wearing another jersey was NOT the core of my argument.

"And I think that is probably what separates Slats from Lou."

You are right, but A LOT more than that seperate the 2.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Yeah, b/c the Oilers had nothing to do with his history and Mark's place in hockey history has nothing to do with the city of Edmonton right???

look show up shake a few hands sit on the bench but an active player playing in a old timers game is wrong. i understand how significant it is for hockey to have this game and i respect messier maybe more than anybody on these boards but i disagree with you on this. if he wants to go thats fine but not wear the jersey and not play in this game.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:50 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sorry but I hope they go, find true fulfillment in the lord's work when they get there and retire.

Closed Thread