HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
09-21-2006, 10:13 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Ben Maxwell

Does it look more and more like he is a keeper?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Bryzga lol*

I'd say yes if we didn't have enough depth, but I think there's still lots for him to learn in the Q. He'll be in a habs uniform in a few years.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:18 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
I'd say yes if we didn't have enough depth, but I think there's still lots for him to learn in the Q. He'll be in a habs uniform in a few years.
yeah, in the Q'

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd say yes, except... I would have said yes about Duncan Milroy when he was a junior-aged player too, soooo...

Maxwell is basically confirming my impression of him from the WU-18 tourney, dispelling some of what had seemed to me to be overly critical myths in some of the draft previews. That's certainly all to the good. He's fast, a little bit undersized but with the ability to fill out into an adequate package even if he doesn't grow taller, and he seems to be showing the potential to play a well-rounded game. All good attributes. Give and take a bit on the "fast" side, they're also attributes that guys like Milroy and Matt Higgins might have been said to possess as well, so it's not like we should be looking at Maxwell as a slam dunk yet or anything. I do like him though. (Picked him in the 1st round in my FHL, fwiw).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
yeah, in the Q'
I'm sure he meant the "O".

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Darz

As I've probablely stated more than once, I think the selections of Maxwell and White in the '06 draft could potentially make the '06 draft one of the habs best in the past 5-10 years. Both players are a bit of a gamble but have real good upside. I was very surprised and pleased that we were able to land both of them in the 2nd and 3rd round. A year from now both could be considered top prospects.

09-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I do like him though. (Picked him in the 1st round in my FHL, fwiw).
You did? That must be one hell of a deep fantasy league!!

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Though it's only 1 pre-season game with professionals, Maxwell showed some good things in the Dev. Camp but much more in the rookie camp and some more at his first professional camp.

I don't believe Milroy was ever succesful as far as being noticed in any camp he played after his Junior years, if I'm not mistaken.

Seems that as an 18th year old he's having a great camp so far. But he do need to bulk up but it does seem like he's much more mature hockeywise than his pal White.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I'm sure he meant the "O".
He is from the "W"...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 11:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
He is from the "W"...
I guessed you missed the joke/sarcasm.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
You did? That must be one hell of a deep fantasy league!!
Yeah, I was picking #1,942nd in the first round. At least it's a snake draft, though, so I still have a chance at Todd Simpson or Paul DiPietro with my next pick.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ok ok sorry

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Though it's only 1 pre-season game with professionals, Maxwell showed some good things in the Dev. Camp but much more in the rookie camp and some more at his first professional camp.

I don't believe Milroy was ever succesful as far as being noticed in any camp he played after his Junior years, if I'm not mistaken.

Seems that as an 18th year old he's having a great camp so far. But he do need to bulk up but it does seem like he's much more mature hockeywise than his pal White.....
As I mentioned immediately after the draft, I was pleasantly surprised that he was available when the Habs took him. I saw him play last year and, although I usually focus on Giants players or Habs draft picks, he made quite an impression. He was the best player out there, imo. If the pre-season is any indication, he's due for a solid season. I'm looking forward to seeing him play when the Ice come to Vancouver or Kelowna. Got it marked on my calendar.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 12:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
As I mentioned immediately after the draft, I was pleasantly surprised that he was available when the Habs took him. I saw him play last year and, although I usually focus on Giants players or Habs draft picks, he made quite an impression. He was the best player out there, imo. If the pre-season is any indication, he's due for a solid season. I'm looking forward to seeing him play when the Ice come to Vancouver or Kelowna. Got it marked on my calendar.
I was a bit surprised he was still on board and glad we got him but in the little I've seen of him I've noticed he is a bit on the soft side and stays to the outside. His speed and offensive skills are impressive and personally I'll be paying closer attention to him over the year.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Yeah, I was picking #1,942nd in the first round. At least it's a snake draft, though, so I still have a chance at Todd Simpson or Paul DiPietro with my next pick.
lol
I prefer my 8 teams fantasy league thanks. at least, I know everyone.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

What former or actual NHL player could he compare to ?

Brendan Morrison ? Corey Millen ? ... ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
What former or actual NHL player could he compare to ?

Brendan Morrison ? Corey Millen ? ... ?
Who the hell is Corey Millen

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
lilooet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Who the hell is Corey Millen
I think he means Greg Millen, in which case Maxwell has the potential to be the biggest dick on saturday night TV.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
TheHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
I think he means Greg Millen, in which case Maxwell has the potential to be the biggest dick on saturday night TV.
Greg Millen is a goalie...

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 06:24 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
Not to appear argumentative, but as long as we have Glen Healey with a microphone stuck in his face, I see no hope for Greg Millen being the biggest dick on TV, although I will concede 2nd place to him.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 06:31 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Good to see him producing. He has excellent offensive skills and nice speed from what I've seen. He should have seen drafted in the 1st round but his inconsistency maybe scared some teams. Some whl fans think he plays a similar game to Alex Tanguay.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
I'd say yes, except... I would have said yes about Duncan Milroy when he was a junior-aged player too, soooo...

Maxwell is basically confirming my impression of him from the WU-18 tourney, dispelling some of what had seemed to me to be overly critical myths in some of the draft previews. That's certainly all to the good. He's fast, a little bit undersized but with the ability to fill out into an adequate package even if he doesn't grow taller, and he seems to be showing the potential to play a well-rounded game. All good attributes. Give and take a bit on the "fast" side, they're also attributes that guys like Milroy and Matt Higgins might have been said to possess as well, so it's not like we should be looking at Maxwell as a slam dunk yet or anything. I do like him though. (Picked him in the 1st round in my FHL, fwiw).
Milroy didn't have a great progression after his draft, except in playoffs. Maxwell has been always very good. He won the puck control skill last year, finished 1st scorer of his team and at U18, he was draft 2nd overall in the WHL after Toews and he's actually the best player in the WHL (behind Price ).

I'm a great Maxwell's fan and some on this board had a couple of doubts about him... I hope Maxwell convinced them.

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 08:11 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Maxwell is so much faster than those dudes that they arent comparable.
He has good acceleration and top end speed.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:18 AM
sbtatter

Maxwell against the Wheaties (also posted in CHL prospects thread)

Well, this was a defensive, well played game by Brandon. Maxwell's high scoring partner Russell was listed as playing but we didn't ever see him out there. Maxwell was held pointless.
An overall view says that Maxwell was Kootenay's best player, but only the 4th best player on the ice tonight. (Burki, Simek and Derlago were all better). Specifically, he looks a little faster than average, better hands than average, better hockey sense than average, needs to bulk up a little though. He's not as fast as Simek, and he doesn't boss the play like Burki. I think he's wasted on the point on powerplays, I mean, he does the QB job well, but I think they should be using his hands and skill around the net like Brandon use Burki.
Maxwell lost about 70% of his faceoffs against both Moore and Burki. He made one nice 5 on 5 play when he won the puck in the corner, came out front and got a good shot away which Plante saved. He made 1 nice rush on the PP to gain the zone. But overall he seemed like he was playing on the outside of the game, I didn't ever see him throw a body check. Maybe the most telling observation came from my buddy, who knew I was watching Maxwell tonight, in the 3rd period he said "That Maxwell hasn't been noticeable at all tonight has he".
So, I think they have been playing quite a few on the road in a short space of time and maybe Kootenay were tired, maybe that's why Maxwell didn't stand out? Hard to argue against his seasons point production, he must have better nights than he showed last night, because last night you wouldn't have picked him as the leading WHL scorer.
If I had any advice (based on this one game) it would be for him to bulk up, and show a little more intensity and get into the game and hit/check rather than float around the periphery, maybe play a little more like Burki did. Sorry it's not a glowing report, they come back to Brandon in Feb and I'll let you know how he looks then.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Well, this was a defensive, well played game by Brandon. Maxwell's high scoring partner Russell was listed as playing but we didn't ever see him out there. Maxwell was held pointless.
An overall view says that Maxwell was Kootenay's best player, but only the 4th best player on the ice tonight. (Burki, Simek and Derlago were all better). Specifically, he looks a little faster than average, better hands than average, better hockey sense than average, needs to bulk up a little though. He's not as fast as Simek, and he doesn't boss the play like Burki. I think he's wasted on the point on powerplays, I mean, he does the QB job well, but I think they should be using his hands and skill around the net like Brandon use Burki.
Maxwell lost about 70% of his faceoffs against both Moore and Burki. He made one nice 5 on 5 play when he won the puck in the corner, came out front and got a good shot away which Plante saved. He made 1 nice rush on the PP to gain the zone. But overall he seemed like he was playing on the outside of the game, I didn't ever see him throw a body check. Maybe the most telling observation came from my buddy, who knew I was watching Maxwell tonight, in the 3rd period he said "That Maxwell hasn't been noticeable at all tonight has he".
So, I think they have been playing quite a few on the road in a short space of time and maybe Kootenay were tired, maybe that's why Maxwell didn't stand out? Hard to argue against his seasons point production, he must have better nights than he showed last night, because last night you wouldn't have picked him as the leading WHL scorer.
If I had any advice (based on this one game) it would be for him to bulk up, and show a little more intensity and get into the game and hit/check rather than float around the periphery, maybe play a little more like Burki did. Sorry it's not a glowing report, they come back to Brandon in Feb and I'll let you know how he looks then.

Thanks for this report my friend.

Of couse, Benjamin had a bad game.
I still belive he will bounce back and show everybody he deserved to be in top20.

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote