HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Devils to purchase Trenton Titans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
  #1
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Devils to purchase Trenton Titans

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php...dnFlZU VFeXk2

Technically this should probably go on the ECHL board, but I will speculate (and, yes, I'm ready to be flamed for this one) that the Titans will be the Devils AHL affiliate after the Lowell experiment fails and Trenton Titans will be renamed the Trenton Devils.


Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-21-2006 at 10:00 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2006, 06:56 PM
  #2
crashlanding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
I think that's going to be the plan. Trenton has a very nice arena and Vanderbeek, the Devils' owner, has been saying that he wants to bring the AHL team to NJ. Lowell was for sale so he bought it, most likely, to make the move to NJ smoother in the future.

As for this season I believe Trenton will be the ECHL affiliate for NJ, Philly, and maybe NYI.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
  #3
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I think that's going to be the plan. Trenton has a very nice arena and Vanderbeek, the Devils' owner, has been saying that he wants to bring the AHL team to NJ. Lowell was for sale so he bought it, most likely, to make the move to NJ smoother in the future.

As for this season I believe Trenton will be the ECHL affiliate for NJ, Philly, and maybe NYI.
The Devils will give Lowell one season, two at most. I wouldn't be shocked if there is an annoucement by the all-star break stating that the Devils will move their affiliate to Trenton.

The Sovereign Bank Arena does need to undergo some changes to the facility to be compliant with the AHL. Off the top of my head, the penalty boxes currently do not comply as there is no glass in front of the boxes so players can just jump over the boards when a penalty expires. That said, it's a very good venue for hockey.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
  #4
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
pelts, you're really opening yourself up to a full-frontal attack on your speculation in here.

1) "the Titans will be the Devils AHL affiliate after the Lowell experiment fails"
- But what about the Lowell fans? We FANS of the AHL will not stand for this, who are you to say that NJ will move Lowell even though Baltimore failed and moved to portland and the Robinson's in Cincinnati had to close up shop because ANA decided Portland was a better fit for thier prospect

2)"Trenton Titans will be renamed the Trenton Devils"
- what about the tradition of the Titans going back to 1999 hmmm pelts!!! you cant keep changing team names all the time and who says the fans of the former Locke Monsters will allow Lowell to move THEIR team into NJ where Comcast has their AHL team and fans across the river?

3)"The Devils will give Lowell one season, two at most"
- well, the devils have 2 MORE YEARS!! in lowell according to their lease and the FANS will not stand for their team to move before the lease is up and who are you to say the AHL will allow this to happen to their fans

*please note all sarcasm*

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 02:42 PM
  #5
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
pelts, you're really opening yourself up to a full-frontal attack on your speculation in here.

1) "the Titans will be the Devils AHL affiliate after the Lowell experiment fails"
- But what about the Lowell fans? We FANS of the AHL will not stand for this, who are you to say that NJ will move Lowell even though Baltimore failed and moved to portland and the Robinson's in Cincinnati had to close up shop because ANA decided Portland was a better fit for thier prospect

2)"Trenton Titans will be renamed the Trenton Devils"
- what about the tradition of the Titans going back to 1999 hmmm pelts!!! you cant keep changing team names all the time and who says the fans of the former Locke Monsters will allow Lowell to move THEIR team into NJ where Comcast has their AHL team and fans across the river?

3)"The Devils will give Lowell one season, two at most"
- well, the devils have 2 MORE YEARS!! in lowell according to their lease and the FANS will not stand for their team to move before the lease is up and who are you to say the AHL will allow this to happen to their fans

*please note all sarcasm*
Good try, but your grammar is too good to be confused with someone else! LMAO Definitely an A for effort though.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
  #6
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The Devils will give Lowell one season, two at most. I wouldn't be shocked if there is an annoucement by the all-star break stating that the Devils will move their affiliate to Trenton.
I'll be shocked if it's that early...if it happens (and I think there's a very good chance it will) it will probably be closer to the end of the regular season.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 08:29 PM
  #7
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Do we really want to see Trenton in the AHL BECAUSE there were more Devils fans than Flyers fans at an exhibition game and isn't the Flyers training facility aka "Skate Zone" which is under the umbrella corporation as the Flyers and Phantoms based in Voorhees, NEW JERSEY where the Phantoms and Lowell Devils just played last night.

Do we really want another Worcester to Peoria "disaster" as we all saw happen 2 years ago by St. Louis.

Peoria isn't exactly winning their fanbase over with that Fan Advisory Code of Conduct, from what I'm understanding on another fan board, what exactly will that cost Peoria, it may end up costing them hockey, the beloved Rivermen aka the Ice Cats, because more fans apparently have caught on to the either the ownership or they preferred the Rivermen be where they were in the ECHL. It's a hockey game, not a church social is what the Code of Conduct.

That's why the Devils bought Trenton in much the same way they bought Lowell first and then if the Devils go to Newark which team moves into East Rutherford, to replace the Devils there.

Remember the Devils never owned and operated their own affiliates since before hooking up in Albany since leaving Utica which they brought there from Portland when Boston signed the illfated deal which ended up costing Portland their franchise before skipping to Providence.

I'm surprised the Devils are allowing the Flyers and Islanders to finish their development contracts in Trenton for 2006-07.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 09:13 PM
  #8
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
That's why the Devils bought Trenton in much the same way they bought Lowell first and then if the Devils go to Newark which team moves into East Rutherford, to replace the Devils there.
No team owned by the Devils is moving into the CAA. The Devils would like to see that place closed as soon as possible as it would compete with the Newark arena for other events (which the Devils would get revenue from). NJSEA who owns CAA has tried to block the Devils move to newark every which way the two sides aren't really on good terms. The Nets just reupped their lease to stay in CAA until 2013 or whenever their Brooklyn Arena is built. If for some reason the Nets would like to move to the Newark in that time there is a heavy fee that they must pay (they pay none for moving to Brooklyn). There is no way the Devils are going to put a team in that arena. It's not like Philly where the same comapny owns both arenas.

Trenton is about the Halfway point from Newark to Philly, The Devils have strong support in central New Jersey. I doubt there will be problems with the Devils ownership in Trenton.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 09:50 PM
  #9
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
No team owned by the Devils is moving into the CAA. The Devils would like to see that place closed as soon as possible as it would compete with the Newark arena for other events (which the Devils would get revenue from). NJSEA who owns CAA has tried to block the Devils move to newark every which way the two sides aren't really on good terms. The Nets just reupped their lease to stay in CAA until 2013 or whenever their Brooklyn Arena is built. If for some reason the Nets would like to move to the Newark in that time there is a heavy fee that they must pay (they pay none for moving to Brooklyn). There is no way the Devils are going to put a team in that arena. It's not like Philly where the same comapny owns both arenas.

Trenton is about the Halfway point from Newark to Philly, The Devils have strong support in central New Jersey. I doubt there will be problems with the Devils ownership in Trenton.
DO u not get it----The ECHL & AHL went through this w/ St. Louis, Worcester & Peoria's ascension back to the AHL, WHY would they allow Trenton to be upgraded if it's common ownership---you don't move a franchise into a market that another league operates in unless it was vacated.

The Titans aren't being promoted to the AHL, ok, just because the Devils now own it.

Peoria's ownership had to pay an exit fee to leave the ECHL to allow the AHL Franchise Bruce Saurs bought from Worcester w/ the help of St. Louis, mind you.

As for Lowell, why did the Devils buy them first if they hadn't had the existing contract w/ Tsongas Arena, it certainly won't be Trenton because the original point was when Lowell was bought was and no one knew that McCallum was selling until late last year as is the same scenario but the point was the AHL was going into CAA when/if the Devils left for Newark, then why is NJSEA fighting so hard to block the move to Newark but then u leave 40 odd dates at the current site.

just because the Devils don't own CAA, it'd accomplish their purpose to place their AHL team in NJ if they desired to do so, or they'd stay in Lowell is what ppl are suggesting here several months ago.

It's wait and see and everyone here will be watching Lowell to see what the end result will be but those fans know they have at least 2 years of hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 10:11 PM
  #10
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
DO u not get it----The ECHL & AHL went through this w/ St. Louis, Worcester & Peoria's ascension back to the AHL, WHY would they allow Trenton to be upgraded if it's common ownership---you don't move a franchise into a market that another league operates in unless it was vacated.

The Titans aren't being promoted to the AHL, ok, just because the Devils now own it.

Peoria's ownership had to pay an exit fee to leave the ECHL to allow the AHL Franchise Bruce Saurs bought from Worcester w/ the help of St. Louis, mind you.

As for Lowell, why did the Devils buy them first if they hadn't had the existing contract w/ Tsongas Arena, it certainly won't be Trenton because the original point was when Lowell was bought was and no one knew that McCallum was selling until late last year as is the same scenario but the point was the AHL was going into CAA when/if the Devils left for Newark, then why is NJSEA fighting so hard to block the move to Newark but then u leave 40 odd dates at the current site.

just because the Devils don't own CAA, it'd accomplish their purpose to place their AHL team in NJ if they desired to do so, or they'd stay in Lowell is what ppl are suggesting here several months ago.

It's wait and see and everyone here will be watching Lowell to see what the end result will be but those fans know they have at least 2 years of hockey.
You missed my point on Continental Airlines Arena. The Devils want the place closed period. If it remains open it would compete with the Devils arena for non-hockey events such as concerts. Since the Devils will get revenue from all the events that happen in Newark an open CAAwould cut into their profits. As is they will have to wait until a little bit because the Nets still play there but the Devils will be lobbying hard for the state to close CAA and knock it down. They are not going to put a team there that may potentialy help keep the place open.

As for Lowell and the contract with Tsongas around the time the Devils bought Lowell they were trying to get an arena built in Lakewood, NJ by the shore. Since it would have the be built the plan was to stay in Lowell for 2 years an move in when that arena was ready.

I'm not familar with the Peoria situation so I don't know what the leagues will do.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 11:08 PM
  #11
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
You missed my point on Continental Airlines Arena. The Devils want the place closed period. If it remains open it would compete with the Devils arena for non-hockey events such as concerts. Since the Devils will get revenue from all the events that happen in Newark an open CAAwould cut into their profits. As is they will have to wait until a little bit because the Nets still play there but the Devils will be lobbying hard for the state to close CAA and knock it down. They are not going to put a team there that may potentialy help keep the place open.

As for Lowell and the contract with Tsongas around the time the Devils bought Lowell they were trying to get an arena built in Lakewood, NJ by the shore. Since it would have the be built the plan was to stay in Lowell for 2 years an move in when that arena was ready.

I'm not familar with the Peoria situation so I don't know what the leagues will do.
Peoria paid an exit fee to in effect "upgrade" the Rivermen from the ECHL to the AHL, BUT as I stated before the reason why NJSEA is fighting the Devils from bolting to Newark IS to keep CAA open(which is happening anyway) but why put the AHL Team in Trenton, if the idea as they state is to put their affiliate in NJ, IN effect NJSEA wants to keep hockey in East Rutherford, is what the posters are saying here...

the Newark arena also will impact Trenton's fanbase, because it is a new arena, would anyone then go to Trenton games now that they are a Devils owned affiliate.

Not everyone there I suspect is a Devils fan to begin with because the late Dr. McMullen moved the team from Denver in 1982.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 08:33 AM
  #12
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Peoria paid an exit fee to in effect "upgrade" the Rivermen from the ECHL to the AHL, BUT as I stated before the reason why NJSEA is fighting the Devils from bolting to Newark IS to keep CAA open(which is happening anyway) but why put the AHL Team in Trenton, if the idea as they state is to put their affiliate in NJ, IN effect NJSEA wants to keep hockey in East Rutherford, is what the posters are saying here...

the Newark arena also will impact Trenton's fanbase, because it is a new arena, would anyone then go to Trenton games now that they are a Devils owned affiliate.

Not everyone there I suspect is a Devils fan to begin with because the late Dr. McMullen moved the team from Denver in 1982.


1) No one is fighting the move any longer, Chris. It's a done deal. Ground has already been broken on the new arena in Newark, and when it's ready, the Devils will play there.

2) I had heard during the negotiations for the new "Xanadu" project slated for the Meadowlands area that they were going to try to turn the arena into a smaller venue (don't ask; I have no knowledge as to if that could even be done). With an arena fitting around 8,000 or so, it would be a great place for an AHL team, and would indeed create the "Devils state" mentioned in the initial article.

3) The devils have been in the area for over 20 years. There is no lingering resentment over the move. Onlly leftover Ranger fans are impacted by any of this.

Rumblick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 05:24 PM
  #13
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The Devils will give Lowell one season, two at most. I wouldn't be shocked if there is an annoucement by the all-star break stating that the Devils will move their affiliate to Trenton.

The Sovereign Bank Arena does need to undergo some changes to the facility to be compliant with the AHL. Off the top of my head, the penalty boxes currently do not comply as there is no glass in front of the boxes so players can just jump over the boards when a penalty expires. That said, it's a very good venue for hockey.


That said, what will happen with Lowell if the Devils leave?

Will some other team (Edmonton?) try to start their own team there or something? Or will the city go professional hockey-less?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 04:40 AM
  #14
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,951
vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post

the Newark arena also will impact Trenton's fanbase, because it is a new arena, would anyone then go to Trenton games now that they are a Devils owned affiliate.
I would think more Devils fans would attend

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 10:20 AM
  #15
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
That said, what will happen with Lowell if the Devils leave?

Will some other team (Edmonton?) try to start their own team there or something? Or will the city go professional hockey-less?
I would think that would depend on the mindset of a potential affiliate. Some people want their affiliates closer (something new Ducks GM Dean Lombardi made mention of when discussing Portland), while others want their farm team close to other teams (the reason the Ducks went from Cincy to Portland in the first place). If te city were not go "professionally dark"', I'm not sure that'd be a bad thing, as the UMass-Lowell Riverhawks are fairly popular. I'd feel bad for the Lowell fans, a number of whom I'm pretty friendly with. Of course, I felt bad for the Cornwall fans, the Lexington and Louisville fans, the Baltimore fans and of course, the Adirondack fans, among many others. It's simply a way of life in the minor leagues.

I would personally love to see an Eastern edition of the UHL return, with teams from Adirondack, Elmira, and a few others in there. I think it could fill a void and provide callups for AHL teams. Lowell would be a nice fit.

Rumblick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 01:59 AM
  #16
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Peoria only had to pay the early termination fee because they did not sell the ECHL franchise so it could play elsewhere. Had they found any buyers for the ECHL franchise, there would have been NO fee assessed. The Devils would also not have to pay any fee to move the AHL team from Lowell to Trenton -- they would just move the ECHL team elsewhere.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
  #17
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Peoria only had to pay the early termination fee because they did not sell the ECHL franchise so it could play elsewhere. Had they found any buyers for the ECHL franchise, there would have been NO fee assessed. The Devils would also not have to pay any fee to move the AHL team from Lowell to Trenton -- they would just move the ECHL team elsewhere.
Then why go through the idea of buying the Titans after the fact to move the other franchise in then, don't u think if New Jersey wanted their top affiliate in Trenton by now they would've bought them before buying the AHL team in Lowell.

Lowell wasn't up for sale until mid June anyway.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 10:32 AM
  #18
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Then why go through the idea of buying the Titans after the fact to move the other franchise in then, don't u think if New Jersey wanted their top affiliate in Trenton by now they would've bought them before buying the AHL team in Lowell.

Lowell wasn't up for sale until mid June anyway.
Buying the Trenton franchise didn't make any sense until they had an AHL franchise to move there. Now that they own an AHL franchise outright, they have the option of moving there (though it's no foregone conclusion that they'll do that).

Rumblick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
  #19
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Follow me here, Chris, though I know it's not your strong suit.

The Devils now own the AHL Lowell franchise. They ALSO own the ECHL Trenton franchise. BEFORE they owned the ECHL franchise, they had no control over whether the Trenton facility was open -- they couldn't move the AHL team there until the ECHL team moved, and there was no guarantee that another owner would move the ECHL team out.

NOW, they control both teams -- and can move the Trenton ECHL team somewhere (Bradenton, for example, if that arena ever gets put up, or Burlington), and have an empty building in Trenton. Lo and behold, they could then move the AHL team from Lowell to Trenton.

You can't force an ECHL team out unless their lease is up AND the facility managers side your way. If you OWN the team, however, you can move it.

The difference between this and Peoria is that the ECHL Rivermen team was not moved -- no one would buy it, and the owners did not want to operate it in a different market (something that won't be a problem for the Devils, likely). Thus, the fee -- something that will in all likelihood not apply in this case -- the Devils will just move the ECHL team somewhere, and continue their membership in the ECHL, or perhaps sell it off (maybe to Kemp, to create the Ontario ECHL team in 2008-09, when that California city finally gets their arena done).

Clear now?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:06 AM
  #20
crashlanding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Why isn't this move obvious to you CHRDANHUTCH? The NJD and the NJSEA practically hate each other. The NJD have had possibly the worst arena deal in the NHL, they don't see a dime from parking or concessions. The NJSEA hates the Devils for building a rival arena ten miles away. CAA is a good arena to watch a game in, great sight lines but it is old and doesn't have enough luxury boxes or any of the amenities that any arena built in the last ten years has.

I don't understand whether you think the NJSEA wants the Devils to stay at CAA or if the Devils want their AHL affiliate at CAA. The Newark arena is well under construction, and NJD don't want to help out the NJSEA by filling dates in CAA, it won't happen. They probably don't want to move Lowell into Newark either because they don't draw well enough to have a rival team with tickets at a fraction of the cost in town.

Trenton makes the most sense, like you said South Jersey is mostly Flyers fans and Voorhees is a good ways south of Trenton. It's a potential market that has gone untapped since NJ broke into the area. Now I'm not saying the entire state will become united behind the Devils but plenty of headway has been made in north and central New Jersey in converting Ranger fans/bringing along young Devils fans, moving the affiliate will only help them carve out a fanbase.

Once Lowell was purchased there were plenty of rumors that NJ was going to move them to Lakewood possibly which is down the shore, however if they were to do that they would have to build a second arena. Why do that if there's a perfectly good one an hour and a half from Newark? Another factor is player movement, when the team was in Albany they could drive players in for the next day very easily. Now in Lowell it's either a loooong drive or a short flight, with the team in Trenton it would be very easy to make callups.

I really don't see what Peoria has to do with this, it sounds like a whole bunch of AHL politics that only you seemed to be concerned about. You may be up-to-date on that situation but you seem to know nothing of our needs. The simple fact is having an AHL affiliate in the heart of Bruins country does very little to support the big club, moving the team to NJ would help raise the profile of Devils hockey. Not to mention, after growing up halfway between Trenton and Newark I was always wishing that I could go to see an Albany game and when Trenton got the Titans my family was considering getting season tickets despite living 45 minutes away (a 45 minute radius covers A LOT of people in NJ, the most densely populated state).

Franchises move all the time, affiliations change, it's the nature of minor league hockey, as long as Lowell has a building that teams want to play in they will have a team, simple as that.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:01 PM
  #21
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
Why isn't this move obvious to you CHRDANHUTCH? The NJD and the NJSEA practically hate each other. The NJD have had possibly the worst arena deal in the NHL, they don't see a dime from parking or concessions. The NJSEA hates the Devils for building a rival arena ten miles away. CAA is a good arena to watch a game in, great sight lines but it is old and doesn't have enough luxury boxes or any of the amenities that any arena built in the last ten years has.

I don't understand whether you think the NJSEA wants the Devils to stay at CAA or if the Devils want their AHL affiliate at CAA. The Newark arena is well under construction, and NJD don't want to help out the NJSEA by filling dates in CAA, it won't happen. They probably don't want to move Lowell into Newark either because they don't draw well enough to have a rival team with tickets at a fraction of the cost in town.

Trenton makes the most sense, like you said South Jersey is mostly Flyers fans and Voorhees is a good ways south of Trenton. It's a potential market that has gone untapped since NJ broke into the area. Now I'm not saying the entire state will become united behind the Devils but plenty of headway has been made in north and central New Jersey in converting Ranger fans/bringing along young Devils fans, moving the affiliate will only help them carve out a fanbase.

Once Lowell was purchased there were plenty of rumors that NJ was going to move them to Lakewood possibly which is down the shore, however if they were to do that they would have to build a second arena. Why do that if there's a perfectly good one an hour and a half from Newark? Another factor is player movement, when the team was in Albany they could drive players in for the next day very easily. Now in Lowell it's either a loooong drive or a short flight, with the team in Trenton it would be very easy to make callups.

I really don't see what Peoria has to do with this, it sounds like a whole bunch of AHL politics that only you seemed to be concerned about. You may be up-to-date on that situation but you seem to know nothing of our needs. The simple fact is having an AHL affiliate in the heart of Bruins country does very little to support the big club, moving the team to NJ would help raise the profile of Devils hockey. Not to mention, after growing up halfway between Trenton and Newark I was always wishing that I could go to see an Albany game and when Trenton got the Titans my family was considering getting season tickets despite living 45 minutes away (a 45 minute radius covers A LOT of people in NJ, the most densely populated state).

Franchises move all the time, affiliations change, it's the nature of minor league hockey, as long as Lowell has a building that teams want to play in they will have a team, simple as that.
Have you ever seen Lowell play or been to a game there like some of these other posters, here, crashlanding? I suspect the ECHL won't allow the Titans to disappear that soon or set up a fait accompli a la Peoria's ascension by buying Worcester's old franchise, I don't buy your argument about the NJSEA AND the Devils hating each other either, imho it's lame to move a successful and one of the stronger franchises in the ECHL in Trenton out for an AHL Team currently playing in Lowell. Again, why buy Trenton now if the intent is to move the Titans out of Soverign Bank Arena, which the Devils aren't at the present time saying what the intent is for either the Lowell Devils or the Trenton Titans in the future.

Peoria hasn't exactly wowed the AHL in its first foray fwiu, although I usually give at a least a year grace period for adjustment since their announcement. A lot of fans there were perfectly happy with the ECHL Version of the Rivermen and with their Fan Advisory Code of Conduct that the franchise instituted earlier this year has not exactly impressed either the casual or hardcore fan from what I heard on a separate fan site of a member team here in the AHL.

I'm still very upset w/ the Blues decision to move to Peoria to begin with which reminds me of the way Portland's fanbase was either dismissed or ignored because of what happened to Worcester in 2004-05 happened here in 1991-92, so don't lecture me about franchise affiliations etc if u haven't had that feeling of abandonment of a franchise you supported as the Worcester fanbase experienced in 2005-06. I am quite familiar with that as stated above w/ the abrupt transfer of our franchise to Providence in 1992. No hockey poster here wishes to see 1 of 2 issues happen: Franchise relocation or Franchise Failure as many of my fellow AHL Fans know It saddens me to see either scenario but as fans what can we do to prevent it from happening: Not much. It's about the worst feeling in the world to see a franchise either relocate or fail and that's about the only thing I hate about hockey as a business---we as fans forget that it is a business first and foremost and we should be blessed to those organizations that still have franchises active and operating because I think we all know deep down we all would like to see successful franchises. To those who have had franchises in the past, or have seen them relocate or fail, we feel your pain, and it's not right, but you should know that you will not be forgotten.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 04:41 PM
  #22
crashlanding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Have you ever seen Lowell play or been to a game there like some of these other posters, here, crashlanding? I suspect the ECHL won't allow the Titans to disappear that soon or set up a fait accompli a la Peoria's ascension by buying Worcester's old franchise, I don't buy your argument about the NJSEA AND the Devils hating each other either, imho it's lame to move a successful and one of the stronger franchises in the ECHL in Trenton out for an AHL Team currently playing in Lowell. Again, why buy Trenton now if the intent is to move the Titans out of Soverign Bank Arena, which the Devils aren't at the present time saying what the intent is for either the Lowell Devils or the Trenton Titans in the future.
I have never seen Lowell play a game but from what I've heard they don't draw the best crowds. Like I said, if the area can support minor league hockey and the arena is nice another team will move in there. But you seem to be missing the whole point. NJ would like a successful AHL franchise and cental and south NJ would be more excited to go to an AHL game than an ECHL game, that's a fact. When you throw in the fact that Trenton is rather successful for an ECHL team it looks like a no-brainer for NJ to move the team there.

As for the NJSEA and NJD, their relations have no impact on this move. I don't think you understand but NJSEA runs the Meadowlands sports complex (CAA, Giants Stadium, and a horse racing track). The only way they'd come into play is if NJ wanted to move Lowell to East Rutherford which we were pointing out was never going to happen in a million years. NJ has a terrible lease with the NJSEA and has since they opened up shop in NJ and they finally want to gain control of the organization from top to bottom.

I don't see why you are going on this Peoria rant. Peoria and Trenton have about the same population within their city limits but the areas outside of Trenton are much more populated and they'd have no problems filling the arena. It's simple business, how many Lowell fans will buy tickets to NJD games? Not many. If they move to Trenton there will be plenty of Trenton fans that could buy tickets for the NJD. Expanding the market for the NHL club is the driving force behind any such move.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:02 PM
  #23
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
What happens if Lowell fans show up more often now it's a Devils affiliate rather than in the past and if the Devils can prove it's working in Lowell in the next 2 years then your point is moot rather than dealing w/ Albany. Attendance is one factor but I don't underestimate the Devils marketing reach either since this has nothing to do w/ Trenton as an AHL entry yet.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
  #24
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Crash,

You are wasting your time and energy trying to have a rational conversation with the Hutcher.

The fact is that the Trenton Titans have a better fanbase than Lowell does and it will probably get even better with a Devils affiliation.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
  #25
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
What happens if Lowell fans show up more often now it's a Devils affiliate rather than in the past and if the Devils can prove it's working in Lowell in the next 2 years then your point is moot rather than dealing w/ Albany. Attendance is one factor but I don't underestimate the Devils marketing reach either since this has nothing to do w/ Trenton as an AHL entry yet.....
10/7 - 4,257
10/14 - 1,930
10/15 - 1,805

Total for 3 games - 7,992
Avg for 3 games - 2,664 per game
DIfference from 3 games last year -- loss of 731 fans per game, or more than 21%.

Yup, those Lowell fans are sure showing up more now that the team is owned by the Devils.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.