HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Anaheim rumour still around

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Comrie to Anaheim rumour still around

Very little to go on here, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Basically just says there's a deal with Anaheim that Edmonton just has to pull the trigger on:

(Under Slap Shots)

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...tesnb1117.html

BTW, this is from the same writer who was on John Short's show mentioning the whole Phoenix thing. In short, just treat it as any other rumour.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Very little to go on here, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Basically just says there's a deal with Anaheim that Edmonton just has to pull the trigger on:

(Under Slap Shots)

Maybe Lowe's in traction from Saturday's practice.

Wouldn't that be a killer week. Signing Oates and getting Vishnovsky.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd

(Under Slap Shots)

BTW, this is from the same writer who was on John Short's show mentioning the whole Phoenix thing. In short, just treat it as any other rumour.
The same thing is being reported on Thefourthperiod.com:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/ana10.html

Looks like this Arizona article is the source.

I still have a hard time believing that Lowe would trade Comrie to somebody we'd be actively competing for a playoff spot with, but then 48 hours ago if someone told me Adam Oates would be an Oiler I would've asked them if they were at the business end of their bong again.

This is Bizarro World!

Old
11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The same thing is being reported on Thefourthperiod.com:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/ana10.html

Looks like this Arizona article is the source.

I still have a hard time believing that Lowe would trade Comrie to somebody we'd be actively competing for a playoff spot with, but then 48 hours ago if someone told me Adam Oates would be an Oiler I would've asked them if they were at the business end of their bong again.

This is Bizarro World!
these rumors are picking up speed ans substance of late, so i would think within the next 7-10 days Comrie is dealt.

If the players listed in the rumors are an indication lowe should make out fine.

I would be happy with any of the names listed

Comrie and something( rita, chimera, horcoff) for Lupal and Vishnevski

Comrie and Something for Legwand and Kloucek.

These are good deals for the oil, and i think the other teams would look at do them as well.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Shizuka

Not sure who on Anaheim makes sense for us, outside of Vishnevski (and I don't believe we could get him)? I'm assuming most GMs aren't complete idiots, and Chistov / Lupul look like players although Chistov was struggling earlier. Interesting that all the rumours are heating up now, just as we sign Oates to relieve some pressure. I'm expecting it will die down within a week or two, after Lowe gets to see how our revised lineup is doing. It's also a decent time to gauge the trade winds after a couple of additional weeks, watching how prospective trade partners are faring. I'm inclined to think Lowe will wait until Reasoner gets back, but then again you never know with him since he keeps his cards close.

Personally, I'd rather not see another potential Comrie debacle in the making (Lupul is a local kid) and have him wilt under pressure in his hometown. I've also read that he is not a great skater, which bugs me a bit. That's not even taking into account the chances of Murray being willing to part with him, or Chistov. The Ducks D line is pretty weak after Ozolinsh I think, and Vishnevski is a young, solid player. Thanks for posting this though.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:50 AM
mrhockey123

a) unless we're totaly cleaning up in a trade, I do NOT move Horcoff!!!

i) we are already low on centres which is why we got oates.
ii)Horc has been getting better and better, trading him now would be foolish

b)Trading for Oates as given lowe a lot of leverage here, and he's smart enough to use it. Had we not signed oates, we would have been under the gun to find a centre, thus we may have had to prematurely pull the trigger on a Comrie trade.

I think Lowe has bought himself some more time to decide what to do with comrie. Im now 99 percent certain Comrie is gone, and if he does come back, he should be booed and heckled off the ice!

Old
11-18-2003, 11:19 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey123
a) unless we're totaly cleaning up in a trade, I do NOT move Horcoff!!!

ii)Horc has been getting better and better, trading him now would be foolish
what oilers games have you been watching?

the only way horcoff is good is if you're a fan of the other team. this guy has been terrible all season (and i mean TERRIBLE). futhermore, other than a handful of good (not exceptional) games last season he has been terrible for his whole career.

he is 24 years old - no longer a prospect - and has shown me nothing to suggest he is anything other than another dan cleary.

as far as "depth at center" is concerned - when was the last time clearcoff won more than 50% of his faceoffs in a single game? or had a positive +/- at the end of a week? he's garbage and it's time for the oilers to take out the trash.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
If we give up Horcoff with Comrie to get Legwand I wouldn't worry about our depth at centre.

After all we have Ninimaki and Pouliot in the horizon. I think we are okay.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Walsher

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Lupul is the key player in a deal for Comrie I will be incredibly dissapointed. He is overrated and an extremely gross overpay.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Lupul is the key player in a deal for Comrie I will be incredibly dissapointed. He is overrated and an extremely gross overpay.
agreed. I don't really like the Anaheim trade option. This new Nashville one that is popping up is my favorite so far. The other one I like is the Marleau trade idea. I like the idea of trading a donkey for a horse.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
agreed. I don't really like the Anaheim trade option. This new Nashville one that is popping up is my favorite so far. The other one I like is the Marleau trade idea. I like the idea of trading a donkey for a horse.
Marleau would be amazing - but I'm not going to hold my breath. He, and, and maybe Gagne have been the only trades rumored thus far to bring equal value back to the Oilers. All of the other deals have been suspect at best. Even though Oates fills a void - don't be in a rush to move Comrie. Get full value!!

Old
11-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
If we give up Horcoff with Comrie to get Legwand I wouldn't worry about our depth at centre.

After all we have Ninimaki and Pouliot in the horizon. I think we are okay.
Plus Stoll, Reasoner, and York doesn't look too bad there, no comment on Smyth :p :

Oates
Legwand
Reasoner
Stoll

That looks pretty damn good to me.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:16 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
Not sure who on Anaheim makes sense for us, outside of Vishnevski (and I don't believe we could get him)? I'm assuming most GMs aren't complete idiots, and Chistov / Lupul look like players although Chistov was struggling earlier. Interesting that all the rumours are heating up now, just as we sign Oates to relieve some pressure. I'm expecting it will die down within a week or two, after Lowe gets to see how our revised lineup is doing. It's also a decent time to gauge the trade winds after a couple of additional weeks, watching how prospective trade partners are faring. I'm inclined to think Lowe will wait until Reasoner gets back, but then again you never know with him since he keeps his cards close.

Personally, I'd rather not see another potential Comrie debacle in the making (Lupul is a local kid) and have him wilt under pressure in his hometown. I've also read that he is not a great skater, which bugs me a bit. That's not even taking into account the chances of Murray being willing to part with him, or Chistov. The Ducks D line is pretty weak after Ozolinsh I think, and Vishnevski is a young, solid player. Thanks for posting this though.
One local guy is rumoured to not like the local pressure (Comrie has never said this) and suddenly we should be careful of local kids.

We have a few players on this team from the local area and it has not been a problem.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:17 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
what oilers games have you been watching?

the only way horcoff is good is if you're a fan of the other team. this guy has been terrible all season (and i mean TERRIBLE). futhermore, other than a handful of good (not exceptional) games last season he has been terrible for his whole career.

he is 24 years old - no longer a prospect - and has shown me nothing to suggest he is anything other than another dan cleary.

as far as "depth at center" is concerned - when was the last time clearcoff won more than 50% of his faceoffs in a single game? or had a positive +/- at the end of a week? he's garbage and it's time for the oilers to take out the trash.
Just a thought about Horcoff and it came up on one of the talk shows, could his hip still be bothering him? He injured it early in the year.

No doubt of course that he has been awful, I'm just throwing out there as a possible reason.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:54 PM
bucksoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
Interesting that all the rumours are heating up now, just as we sign Oates to relieve some pressure. I'm expecting it will die down within a week or two, after Lowe gets to see how our revised lineup is doing. It's also a decent time to gauge the trade winds after a couple of additional weeks, watching how prospective trade partners are faring. I'm inclined to think Lowe will wait until Reasoner gets back, but then again you never know with him since he keeps his cards close.
Good take on the situation...

However, I'd paint a different picture with respect to the best timing for a Comrie deal. IMO, Lowe is in a very strong bargaining position RIGHT NOW. My reasoning is as follows:

1) NOBODY expected us to get a high profile UFA. Forget the fact he's old, until he proves otherwise, Oates is still at worst, the 60 pt (prorated) centre he was last year... or better still, the 80 point guy he was in EVERY other season prior. Let's not forget that he peaked at age 30, so there is something about his game that defies father time.

Point being... right now Lowe has surprised other GM's... it has to help his image at the negotiating table, which can be VERY significant. Call it the "awe factor", but I think several quick deals by a GM (eg Milbury acquiring Yashin and Peca) has a way of disarming people.... perhaps the first deal increases the chance of a better return on deal number 2.

2) Lowe has underscored today that he isn't in a desparate situation. Again, increases bargaining position (IBP)

3) Oates doesn't play for two weeks... once he does, there is risk that his rusty play negatively affects Lowe's IBP.

4) Many of the teams looking for help on Offence, that were targetting Comrie, likely had Oates as their "fall-back" position. Lowe stole their plan B.... big-time IBP for Lowe, as these GM's now know that the market for offensive players is getting pretty dry. Other than Ronning, Comrie and possibly Straka, there are few publicized options out there.

5) If Lowe waits longer, the shock value wears off, but more importantly, perhaps the GMs in the running for Comrie talk to each other. Potentially the realize taht assets that were earmarked for Comrie have a better fit with each other than they do in EDM.

6) EDM and Lowe will be a centre of attention over the weekend. A well run event increases the org's overall credibility, and for a moment, makes it look less like a "small market weak sister". IE... perceptually it is tougher to take advantage (via trade) of an organization that appears to be managed well.

Strike while the Iron is hot Lowe... you have about 10 days.

Old
11-18-2003, 01:03 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Just a thought about Horcoff and it came up on one of the talk shows, could his hip still be bothering him? He injured it early in the year.

No doubt of course that he has been awful, I'm just throwing out there as a possible reason.
In an article just after the Calgary game it was mentioned his hip was still bothering him.

found it-"Shawn Horcoff, who was propelled head first into the boards by Rhett Warrener, came out of the Oilers treatment room, after he had finished out the game, with ice around his stiff neck and an ice bag on his sore hip."

Old
11-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Hairball

I just thought about something. I think the guys are excited to take part in such a big event. Mr. won't sign doesn't get to. His loss for sure. I wonder if he regrets it? He should.

Closed Thread