Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sergei Kostitsyn returned to London

Old
09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
thomasincanada

vCash: 500
Sergei Kostitsyn returned to London

Just read this in the paper - looks like he will play tonight as well. This was assumed but certainly not a guarantee for them so it's nice to see.

Sergei wasn't ready for the next step just yet anyway.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
hockeyprincess

Thank goodness

With the departure of David Bolland, Dylan Hunter, Frank Rediker, Trevor Kell, Adam Dennis, Matthew Pelech, Jamie VanderVeeken and -- most importantly -- Robbie Schremp, the services of Sergei Kostitsyn were needed badly by the London Knights. Despite Kostitsyn saying that he wanted to play in Hamilton, due to the possibility of playing with his brother Andrei, this is something that the Knights need: his arrival. He is too high a quality of a player to let go so early. Thank goodness.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Right move

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Just read this in the paper - looks like he will play tonight as well. This was assumed but certainly not a guarantee for them so it's nice to see.

Sergei wasn't ready for the next step just yet anyway.
I agree

I honestly hate to see a player come back that should not be in the Jr League anymore. The whole point for these kids is to develop and move on to the next step.

As much as it will be helpful to the Knights, it will also be helpful for Sergei to play another season of Jr. He was just starting to reach the upper Jr level player calibre in the playoffs last year. This is the year for him to develop into the "go to guy" position.

This should definitely be the last season for Kostitsyn in London

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
hockeyprincess

Did any of you know that Sergei was actually supposed to play in Hamilton this year but he was sen tback to London for the purpose of the necessity of his talents?

Old
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyprincess View Post
Did any of you know that Sergei was actually supposed to play in Hamilton this year but he was sen tback to London for the purpose of the necessity of his talents?
Huh? The purpose of the necessity of his talents?

He wasn't supposed to play in Hamilton - he tried out, along with many others, and didn't make it. I think most of us knew he'd be back. He's just not strong enough yet.

Old
09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
1. That sentence makes no sense.

2. If you're trying to say what I think you're trying to say, you're wrong.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
hockeyprincess

Sergei Kostitsyn's talents were necessary due to losing the nearly 400 points accumulated between Robbie Schremp, David Bolland and Dylan Hunter last year.

Let me explain the other part to you.
Let's compare Sergei's situation to that of Vaclav Meidl (Oshawa Generals).

When Sergei was drafted to the Montreal Canadiens in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, he was drafted out of HK Gomel in Belarus. When Vaclav was drafted to the Nashville Predators in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, he was drafted out of the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

Since Sergei was drafted out of a European junior programme, he is able to play in the AHL -- in his case, the Hamilton Bulldogs -- after one year of Canadian junior, since he is the "property" of the team that drafted him; he can do this even though he is not the required age. (This can also explain why 18-year-old Jiri Tlusty is with the Toronto Marlies and not the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds right now.)

Since Vaclav was drafted out of a Canadian junior programme, he is able to return to the CHL team that he played for (either Plymouth, or the Saginaw Spirit where he was traded to in 2006, or now in Oshawa) instead of going to the AHL -- in his case, the Milwaukee Admirals. Vaclav, at 20, is an overage import player in the CHL, and he could be playing in the AHL, but since he was traded to the Gens, he is remaining in the CHL. In the eyes of the NHL, Vaclav is considered a "Canadian" draft pick.

That is why I am saying that Sergei was supposed to play in Hamilton but they needed him in London... does that make sense now?

Old
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
That is why I am saying that Sergei was supposed to play in Hamilton but they needed him in London... does that make sense now?
I sort of understand what you are trying to say, but you're saying it wrong. Sergei isn't back because London needed him - he's back because he's not ready for the AHL. He got cut from the team. If he were good enough he'd still be playing there.

Supposed wasn't the right term, He was eligible to play in the AHL because he was foreign born or whatever, but he certainly wasn't supposed to.

Old
09-27-2006, 03:20 PM
bigdoubled

Montreal would send Sergei Kostitsyn to where ever they felt was best for his development. Yes he is elgible for the ahl but in no way would montreal send him to london because he is needed there. No nhl teams cares how a junior team does in the standings. Jiri Tlusty can still end up in the ohl this year if he gets cut from the marlies camp.

bigdoubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
superjonathan

Quote:
ya it makes sense now but there is a big difference in being allowed to play somewhere and "supposed to play" somewhere. sergei is allowed to play in hamilton but no one expected him to play there yet.

EDIT: i've been late on posts before but i've never been beat by 2 posts...geez.

superjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 08:07 AM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoubled View Post
Montreal would send Sergei Kostitsyn to where ever they felt was best for his development. Yes he is elgible for the ahl but in no way would montreal send him to london because he is needed there. No nhl teams cares how a junior team does in the standings. Jiri Tlusty can still end up in the ohl this year if he gets cut from the marlies camp.
He was needed in London, there is no doubt about it. He would have made Hamilton anyway. I think that there seems to be a Kostitsyn quota in Hamilton: one at a time. It seems doubtful that Andrei will be going there this year, after that great performance against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:13 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
He was needed in London, there is no doubt about it. He would have made Hamilton anyway.
You don't seem to understand the fact that he *didn't* make Hamilton. He got cut. Had nothing to do with London. Case closed.

Old
09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
You don't seem to understand the fact that he *didn't* make Hamilton. He got cut. Had nothing to do with London. Case closed.
Thomas, show me something that confirms that he did not make the Bulldogs this year.

Old
09-28-2006, 09:56 AM
RUSqueelin

Well, If Sergei was "supposed" to play in Hamilton and Mark Hunter convinced Montreal that they should send him back to London even though Montreal was going to put him in Hamilton, then Mark Hunter is the GM of all GM's - a pure hockey god, the best there ever is and was yada yada yada...what the heck are you talking about hockeyprincess?

And you missed one other important fact. Montreal said before their camp even started that Sergei was going back to London to develop cause that's where they thought was the best place for him. Nothing more, nothing less. End of Story.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Thomas, show me something that confirms that he did not make the Bulldogs this year.

the fact that he's in london now is proof enough since he didn't get invited to hamilton's camp. imo the reason is more to do with ice time, the habs already have grabovski, chipchura, d'agostini, and aubin joining the team as rookies and there's only so many spots, so much ice time. plus there's the thought he's not ready physically but I never heard the exact quotes from coach carbo as to the exact reason why he was not even given a look at hamilton's camp, but my guess is that he's not ready physically. this should be good for him and for london, he can join hamilton as soon as his season in london is over.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
Well, If Sergei was "supposed" to play in Hamilton and Mark Hunter convinced Montreal that they should send him back to London even though Montreal was going to put him in Hamilton, then Mark Hunter is the GM of all GM's - a pure hockey god, the best there ever is and was yada yada yada...what the heck are you talking about hockeyprincess?

And you missed one other important fact. Montreal said before their camp even started that Sergei was going back to London to develop cause that's where they thought was the best place for him. Nothing more, nothing less. End of Story.
Mark Hunter did not convince the Montreal Canadiens to send Sergei back; I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Sergei's interests were trumped by that of the London Knights and of the Montreal Canadiens. Montreal could have assigned him to Hamilton for all we know, and then we know what kind of jam that the London Knights would have been in. Sergei wanted to play in Hamilton. He knew that there could have been the chance for him to play with Andrei if he did. But Sergei needed to go back to London... I believe for the sole purpose of giving the Hunter brothers what they want. They adore Sergei and they did not want to let him go. If the Montreal Canadiens were the only ones with say in this discussion, then there would be no Belarusian with the Knights this year.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Mark Hunter did not convince the Montreal Canadiens to send Sergei back; I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Sergei's interests were trumped by that of the London Knights and of the Montreal Canadiens.
This is your opinion. The opinion of Montreal is that his development is better served London.

Quote:
Montreal could have assigned him to Hamilton for all we know, and then we know what kind of jam that the London Knights would have been in. Sergei wanted to play in Hamilton. He knew that there could have been the chance for him to play with Andrei if he did.
Yes, Sergei said he wanted to play in Hamilton. Of course he did, I'd expect him to say that. But it isn't the prospects choice - since when does the prospect decide where he wants to play? If that was the case he'd say I want to play in Montreal, and alone with Montreal's other 200 prospects, they'd all play for the Canadiens and they'd have 200 people on their roster.

Quote:

But Sergei needed to go back to London... I believe for the sole purpose of giving the Hunter brothers what they want. They adore Sergei and they did not want to let him go.
And this is the main disagreement in the thread. What everyone is trying to tell you. Mark Hunter and the Knights have no say as to where Montreal wants to put its prospects. If Montreal wanted Sergei in Hamilton then you can bet your left nut that he'd be there.

Quote:

If the Montreal Canadiens were the only ones with say in this discussion, then there would be no Belarusian with the Knights this year.
I will repeat this again. Montreal said before training camp started that they wanted Sergei to play another year of junior. They said it would benefit him. This has been there policy with many other of there prospects. They believe in playing against ones peers. And they are the only ones with the say in the discussion. I will repreat YOUR first line "Mark Hunter did not convince the Montreal Canadiens to send Sergei back; I'm not saying that at all." - so I guess Montreal were the only ones with say in this discussion.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
hockeyprincess

Then why send him back to London? European junior hockey is so regimented that Sergei would be playing an identical game in the AHL as he would if he had remained in Belarus.

I think that Sergei needs to remain in London for two purposes: his skills and his leadership. He's not going to *****-foot around and he is not going to put up with bullcrap either.

Old
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Mark Hunter did not convince the Montreal Canadiens to send Sergei back; I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Sergei's interests were trumped by that of the London Knights and of the Montreal Canadiens. Montreal could have assigned him to Hamilton for all we know, and then we know what kind of jam that the London Knights would have been in. Sergei wanted to play in Hamilton. He knew that there could have been the chance for him to play with Andrei if he did. But Sergei needed to go back to London... I believe for the sole purpose of giving the Hunter brothers what they want. They adore Sergei and they did not want to let him go. If the Montreal Canadiens were the only ones with say in this discussion, then there would be no Belarusian with the Knights this year.
There's no way Gainey sends him to london to give the hunter's what they want. I'm sure the Hunter's wanted him back badly, but Gainey will do what's best for the player in his opinion.

Quote:
Then why send him back to London? European junior hockey is so regimented that Sergei would be playing an identical game in the AHL as he would if he had remained in Belarus.
I don't understand this comment, he played in the mens league in Belarus during his last season in the eehl. I've never seen any junior euro league games, but i would guess that they aren't as physical as the ahl plus the smaller ice surface effects the game as well. imo Siarhei is in London because it's what Gainey thinks is best for him, to get stronger physically, getting a ton of ice time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:

It's not, though, the only thing that prepares you for playing North American Hockey is playing in a North American League. Very few leagues in Europe are at the calibre of the AHL, either.

Old
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
toomanymen

Kind of hard to promote Sergei ahead of his brother too...

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
Sergei Kostitsyn's talents were necessary due to losing the nearly 400 points accumulated between Robbie Schremp, David Bolland and Dylan Hunter last year.

Let me explain the other part to you.
Let's compare Sergei's situation to that of Vaclav Meidl (Oshawa Generals).

When Sergei was drafted to the Montreal Canadiens in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, he was drafted out of HK Gomel in Belarus. When Vaclav was drafted to the Nashville Predators in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, he was drafted out of the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

Since Sergei was drafted out of a European junior programme, he is able to play in the AHL -- in his case, the Hamilton Bulldogs -- after one year of Canadian junior, since he is the "property" of the team that drafted him; he can do this even though he is not the required age. (This can also explain why 18-year-old Jiri Tlusty is with the Toronto Marlies and not the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds right now.)

Since Vaclav was drafted out of a Canadian junior programme, he is able to return to the CHL team that he played for (either Plymouth, or the Saginaw Spirit where he was traded to in 2006, or now in Oshawa) instead of going to the AHL -- in his case, the Milwaukee Admirals. Vaclav, at 20, is an overage import player in the CHL, and he could be playing in the AHL, but since he was traded to the Gens, he is remaining in the CHL. In the eyes of the NHL, Vaclav is considered a "Canadian" draft pick.

Quite a long time ago the Habs director of player development made it clear to the Knights that the club planned to send him back to Jr to take the next step in his development. The Habs did this for the purpose of developing Sergei further, not out of necessity for the Knights to recoup scoring. They let the Knights know about this decision out of courtesy for the club to allow them to make necessary player moves.

Of course Sergei was eligible to go to the AHL. He also expressed interest in going to the AHL. But he has not quite reached that stage yet. The Habs want a better player to come out of this, and I believe that is the best route to achieve that.

There is a pretty good chance that his brother will stick with the Habs this year. But even that has nothing to do with this decision either.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
There is a pretty good chance that his brother will stick with the Habs this year.
Unfortunately, it's looking that Andrei is going to be in Hamilton. Latendresse just beat him for the last roster spot.

Old
09-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Ironic

Im going to the game tonight @ the JLC lets hope Sergei Kostitsyn can bring us a W.

Ironic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 10:00 AM
SimonTemplar

Kostitsyn has got even quicker and maybe 10 lbs heavier than when I last saw him in the spring. He plays/played last night with that edge he has and takes no guff from any errant sticks.

Placing him with Gagner and Kane makes for one very hard line to defend and should be a serious point producer after they have a few games together.

Last night wasn't bad either they gathered something like 10 or 12 points.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote