HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen

Old
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Nick_Papagiorgio

vCash: 500
One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. Jannik Hansen is a +4 for the 3 pre-season games he's played in. Pretty respectable +/- considering the way the Canucks have been playing. Take it for what it's worth.

Nick_Papagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
-Jannik Hansen (Will probably be assigned to the Manitoba Moose)
Hansen won't be sent to the Moose.

A right handed RW who has offensive skills while being defensively competent?

Hell I think he's got more skill than Kesler.

I want Hansen to lineup with the twins or Naslund, give him 5 games and I bet you anything he will impress.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Canucksrock

Quote:
Hansen won't be sent to the Moose.
and how can you be so sure? IMO he will be sent down before the season starts, I think its better for his development to start in the A, but thats IMO, not the fact you stated.

Canucksrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Towelie*

Its tough to cut Hansen with the statistics he has now, however, the odds of him getting sent down to the AHL are far higher then not.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
DreamCatcher*

It's almost a gaurantee that Hansen will be sent down to the Moose to develop and hone his game which is better for him personally. He will come out better and more experienced for next year and would basically be a lock-in if he continues his progress. Next year is where Canucks will be out of their cap trouble as soon as Grabner and Hansen fill in the roster spots and get rid of overpaid waste such as Cooke, Chouinard, Linden.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:11 PM
onphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksrock View Post
and how can you be so sure? IMO he will be sent down before the season starts, I think its better for his development to start in the A, but thats IMO, not the fact you stated.

I don't see how it will be better for his development to be in the ahl. It's not like they have to commit him to the team. Clearly if he stays up, he'll be on one of the top three lines which will give him plenty of icetime. If not, they can just send him down at any time and he won't miss a beat. It's not like grabner or bourdon where they have 9 games and are forced to make a decision on them for the rest of the year. there really is no reason, other than cap reasons, that if hanson made the cut he shouldn't be on the team.

onphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
VanCity Millionaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
and get rid of overpaid waste such as Cooke, Chouinard, Linden.

I would wager to say you are treading on thin ice speaking like that in this forum. Remember there are other qualities that are needed on NHL teams besides youth and a good shot. Leadership, toughness, and hardwork are all valuable qualities too.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksrock View Post
For everybody saying "better for his development" or "needs seasoning", back it up.

Explain WHY he would be better of in the A and highlight the deficiencies of his game RIGHT NOW in the NHL.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:18 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
For everybody saying "better for his development" or "needs seasoning", back it up.

Explain WHY he would be better of in the A and highlight the deficiencies of his game RIGHT NOW in the NHL.
There was a reason why Spezza was sent down and not brought up so quickly, it was better for him to dominate in the AHL and drive his confidence up against more skilled players than in juniors. Spezza also said it himself that the lock-out year where he played in the AHL helped his development big-time.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:24 PM
sticknrink

I said highlight the deficiencies of Hansen's game. Not try to pass off another player's development to Hansen.

And for the record, Spezza was more than ready for NHL duty the season before he started. Martin was just being an idiot.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
coastal_nuck

Quote:

Instead of telling others to backup your "claim" that Hansen is NHL ready, why don't you back up your post? This is reminiscent of CDC posters who make outrageous posts and shoot down everyone else who posts otherwise.

Hansen is a great player and may well be on one of our top 2 lines in the future. However, pre-season does not mean much. Sure he's played well and to his credit, better than most of our veterans, still, sending him down the AHL to develop his game is probably a better option. He's not going to be an impact player right away in the NHL. He's not as NHL ready as you might think. Being in the AHL will help him as he will most likely play on the top 2 lines there and hopefully dominate against weaker opposition. There's a reason for minor and junior leagues.

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_nuck View Post
Instead of telling others to backup your "claim" that Hansen is NHL ready, why don't you back up your post? This is reminiscent of CDC posters who make outrageous posts and shoot down everyone else who posts otherwise.

Hansen is a great player and may well be on one of our top 2 lines in the future. However, pre-season does not mean much. Sure he's played well and to his credit, better than most of our veterans, still, sending him down the AHL to develop his game is probably a better option. He's not going to be an impact player right away in the NHL. He's not as NHL ready as you might think. Being in the AHL will help him as he will most likely play on the top 2 lines there and hopefully dominate against weaker opposition. There's a reason for minor and junior leagues.
What outrageous posts? You do know it is against the rules on the site to insult other posters and using 'cdc' is on the no-no list?

His stats speak for themselves. He was one of the most NHL ready WHL players last season. He hasn't made any major blunders during preseason and has continued to impress everybody.

I've already backed up my claim that Hansen is NHL ready. A year in the A won't change him being an impact player now or next year. Do you understand?

A player like Hansen gets assigned to the minors if he's NOT READY for NHL duty (or if the team has incredible depth already).

He doesn't need the A to acclimate to the NHL game.

He doesn't need the A to get used to the physicality, in fact he dishes out his own.

He doesn't need the A to better learn backchecking as he's shown no problems with defensive awareness.

Offense is arleady good, and he'll learn much better against NHL level opposition than AHL level ones.

I don't buy this "needs time in the AHL" stuff. Unless you can come up with a good reason as to why and what he needs to learn on the Moose, don't say it.

Old
09-28-2006, 05:28 PM
B-rock

Quote:
What outrageous posts? You do know it is against the rules on the site to insult other posters and using 'cdc' is on the no-no list?

His stats speak for themselves. He was one of the most NHL ready WHL players last season. He hasn't made any major blunders during preseason and has continued to impress everybody.

I've already backed up my claim that Hansen is NHL ready. A year in the A won't change him being an impact player now or next year. Do you understand?

A player like Hansen gets assigned to the minors if he's NOT READY for NHL duty (or if the team has incredible depth already).

He doesn't need the A to get used to the physicality, in fact he dishes out his own.

He doesn't need the A to better learn backchecking as he's shown no problems with defensive awareness.

Offense is arleady good, and he'll learn much better against NHL level opposition than AHL level ones.

I don't buy this "needs time in the AHL" stuff. Unless you can come up with a good reason as to why and what he needs to learn on the Moose, don't say it.
I agree that Hansen seems to be playing well this preseason, and that he's making AV take a good look at whether he can make the team but ultimately I think Hansen would do well with a year in the AHL. Looking at his numbers in the WHL, they were good, but they weren't 1st team allstar numbers. He scored about a point per game. There are guys who come out of Junior with much bigger numbers than that and still can't crack the NHL.

"But his defensive game is already developed, and he doesn't need to work on that aspect," you might say, but then for me it comes down to would you rather Hansen play as a 4th liner with minimal minutes without the ability to develop his scoring skills; or would you rather send him down for a year and give him the opportunity to get better offensively and then bring him up? I'd rather have a chance at a scorer than another 3rd/4th liner.

I think kids who get rushed into the NHL too early aren't able to develop as well as those who get 1st/2nd line minutes in the minors. I think a good example is all of the 18/19 yr. old players that played down in the minors during the lockout and then took off offensively last year. Guys like Stall, Spezza, Vanek, Nash, Lupul, Boyes, etc.

B-rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
coastal_nuck

Quote:

You seem as if you're pretty stuck on your own belief and won't listen to others, hence the CDC similarity.

You're basing his play on what? A few games in the preseason? Aside from that, has his play in the juniors indicated that he's ready for the NHL? Most would say no. It's amazing what a year in the AHL can do simply because he is still has much to learn. Throwing a player out into the NHL immediately doesn't work for every player. The bottom line is that the NHL is completely different from the junior leagues but the margin is lessened when comparing to the AHL.

Sure, he'd learn a lot in the NHL, but the reason why most are saying that he should be sent down is because he would improve his skillset in the AHL where he can play on par with most players. In that environment, he will most probably do well and gain some additional confidence in his game. (Unless you think confidence will have nothing to do with a player's ability to play the game)

Maybe we should just leave this since you're obviously going to disagree. You can then complain about Nonis and AV's decision when he does get sent down.

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
you might say, but then for me it comes down to would you rather Hansen play as a 4th liner with minimal minutes without the ability to develop his scoring skills
He won't be put in a grinding position. There's really no natural RW'ers that are above him on the depth chart.

Quote:
I think kids who get rushed into the NHL too early aren't able to develop as well as those who get 1st/2nd line minutes in the minors. I think a good example is all of the 18/19 yr. old players that played down in the minors during the lockout and then took off offensively last year. Guys like Stall, Spezza, Vanek, Nash, Lupul, Boyes, etc.
You do know he's 20yo right now and will be turning 21 this upcoming March?

Old
09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Spetznaz75

Tb0ne and others <-- A little about DK

Don't know if this is the best thread, but i'll post it anyway, maybe it can be moved?

Sorry I forgot Morten Madsen on the my list...

In next years draft there might be one or two DK-players that might catch the interest of a few NHL teams.

Mikkel Bødker (1989): Very skilled forward, has a good approach to the game.

Lars Eller (1989): Very skilled forward. Is very young, but has impressed in his Swedish club (Frölunda) in this years preseason. hard working player.

Philip Larsen (1989): Defenseman, Last year he got games alongside Kenny Jönsson at Rögle in the Allsvenskan (second best league in Sweden).

Don't know a whole lot about these players as they all play in sweden.

Regarding Peter Regin, as written above, he is another type of player than Jannik Hansen. He is a playmaking forward who is really good with the puck. His technique is excellent but he lacks size. Rule changes should be in his favour. Has good hands and reads the play excellent. This year he has made 3 points (2g 1a) in the first three games in the swedish elite league. In time he should be NHL capable. Think he could try next season in North America. Probably waiting to se how it's gonna work out for Danish players in north american hockey, I recon. He is a typical "euro-player", not in any way gritty or physical.

Hard to say if Regin is a better player than Hansen. He is very different and the players will have different roles on a team. Hansen will probably adjust (he has?) a lot faster to the smaller rinks in North America, these rinks favours Hansens style of play, I recon. Regin fits better with the wide rinks in Europe I guess.

Regarding Kim Stall, he is at the camp with Predators farm team in the AHL.

Don't know if the best is to come, DK have never had this many "talents" in North America and Sweden. At the moment, this is probably the best a small country can produce of hockey players with a some "quality".

Another player who has played most of his junior time in DK is Slava Truhno (drafted by Edmonton). He is though a native of Russia.

Hope this can clear up some things about DK-players.

Kind of nice that anybody is interested in DK-hockey, so feel free to ask

Best regards

Spetznaz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Canucksrock

I think playing in the AHL and being a top forward for a strong A team like the Moose is better for his development then being used sparingly on the fourth line. IF and this is a huge IF he an crack the top 3 lines and i just dont see it with how many one way contracts we have. Also with AV already saying he wants rypien here probably sooner rather than later. He could play in the NHL with Kesler and Burrows and play a good 10-15 mins a game then yes that would be better for his development. However alot has to fall into place for that to happen, I see Hansen as a top line A player and next year when a couple spots open up hell get a very good look. However its just my opinon.

Canucksrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Whingman

Can someone explain why we have to pick between Hansen playing in the NHL or the AHL. From what I understand, he is elgible to play in the AHL, has a two way contract, and is a right winger. Can we not let him play a few games in the NHL and see what he can do. From there if he impresses, keep him up. If he falters send him down to the AHl and let him show schultz how to play hockey. Its not as though 13 forwards or even 12 forwards or 11 etc... have outplayed Hansen in the pre-season, so I don't see why we can't extend his try out to the regular season. If Hansen prooves to be good enough to play in the NHL rightnow and get 13-15 minutes a night then I can't see it hurting his development.

Hansen would be better next year, but thats one of those things, as a generaly rule people get better with time, but then generaly he will have a better year next season if he plays in the NHL as well. So its just a matter of wether or not he can play in the NHL at the present, and right now its a tough call. And it may take Hansen playing in the NHL to find out.

Whingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
B-rock

Quote:
He won't be put in a grinding position. There's really no natural RW'ers that are above him on the depth chart.

You do know he's 20yo right now and will be turning 21 this upcoming March?
In my opinion, I think there are a few RWs that are above him. I would pencil in Naslund with the Sedins as 1 RW and 1 of Cooke, or Bulis, or anyone more experienced as the 2nd RW. I know, that they aren't all "natural" RWs but I think they'd do better than Hansen in that position. Having said that, I don't think it's a horrible idea to let him play in the NHL season and see what he can do...but I'd be more willing to send him down after a handful of games than halfway through the season a la Jason King. I think it's better for a guy's confidence to get sent down in the beginning, rather than 1/2 way through the season, because he's not good enough.

As for being 20, or 21, I don't think that has much to do with anything. If a guy is 21 and isn't good enough, then he's not good enough. Bieksa came out of college at 23 and still needed time in the AHL. A lot of college guys do. Age is meaningless in my opinion. It's where you're at skill wise. If anything, I could use the argument that because Hansen is 20, he should have put up more points in the WHL against players 2-3 years younger than him....

B-rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetznaz75 View Post
Don't know if the best is to come, DK have never had this many "talents" in North America and Sweden. At the moment, this is probably the best a small country can produce of hockey players with a some "quality".
I don't agree - it's more a matter of developing good hockey culture here. Look at Örnskölsvik in northern Sweden. A small town that has fostered a lot of NHL players.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:08 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_nuck View Post

Sure, he'd learn a lot in the NHL, but the reason why most are saying that he should be sent down is because he would improve his skillset in the AHL where he can play on par with most players. In that environment, he will most probably do well and gain some additional confidence in his game. (Unless you think confidence will have nothing to do with a player's ability to play the game)
Then how about giving his confidence a shot in the arm by keeping him in the NHL? IF his play starts to falter, then send him back to the AHL. From what I have heard, he has done nothing to suggest that he shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Russian_fanatic

Hansen is just

I believed his upside was a 2nd liner before this year, but now he has shown me, and the rest of us, he does indeed have first line upside. He is looking like our best offensive prospect(not a knock down on Grabner). He has a solid two way game, and has a very good offensive game. Has become my favourite prospect.

Thing with Hansen is if he flops his offensive game doesn't develope he can still become a defensive responsible forward. Has shown me everything to show that hsi offensive game will improve though.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
Hansen is just

I believed his upside was a 2nd liner before this year, but now he has shown me, and the rest of us, he does indeed have first line upside. He is looking like our best offensive prospect(not a knock down on Grabner). He has a solid two way game, and has a very good offensive game. Has become my favourite prospect.

Thing with Hansen is if he flops his offensive game doesn't develope he can still become a defensive responsible forward. Has shown me everything to show that hsi offensive game will improve though.
I would be tempted to keep him up this season. He's been one of our best forwards in the preseason, and it isn't like we're overflowing with offensive potential here. Give him a couple regular season game, and see how that goes.

He has a point in each of his 3 preseason games, plus he leads the Canucks in +/- over the preseason. At +4.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Victory Ali*

It looks as if The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen might just see a few regular season games as he's survived another round of cuts. So if he does stay up, where does he get penciled in? On the third line with Kesler?

Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCanucksFan View Post
It looks as if The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen might just see a few regular season games as he's survived another round of cuts. So if he does stay up, where does he get penciled in? On the third line with Kesler?
That is where I have him

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote