HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Johnson

Old
09-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Mike Johnson

He has impressed the hell out of me so far, although it is only pre-season.

My question is do you guys think he has a future in Montreal? I believe he is a UFA after the season. Do you think if he has a decent year (40-55 points) he'll get re-signed? Or is he just a rental player? imo he is a perfect 3rd liner, even 2nd liner at times.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Habsurd

Looks like a keeper to me: fast, mature, involved. I definately agree w you that he looks like he can easily be put on the 2nd line... and belong there. In fact, i'm relieved he's on the team for that very reason bec its looking like our 2nd line may be a big prob again this year.

Question: Does Kovalav know what the ****** PASSING the puck means ???
If the Habs weren't so short on top end forwards he'd be spending every 3rd-4th game in the press box !! What a disappointment he's becoming to me.....and I was one of those trying to be patient w him.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Toro

Mike is exactly what we needed to replace Bullis. A guy with speed, skills, ability to play on 2nd or 3rd line, and most of all. He wants that job!!!!

as far as Kovalev goes, its way early in PRE-season.... wait at least till the last preseason game if u must make a decision after so long before the season even starts.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 01:52 AM
SuperUnknown

I'd be all for keeping Johnson. While he has been penned in as a "3rd liner" (which I though was ridiculous, having seen him play a lot in the past years), imo he's the perfect 2nd liner. He's big and uses his size in front of the net, he has a good shot and he's a very very good passer.

Tonite I thought our PP was something else when he was out there. He likes to move his big body in front of the goaltender (which created a few scoring opportunities), he knows how to make himself available for a pass, but best of all, he can pass well without telegraphing his movements, which keeps the defense on alert and prevents them from cutting all the passing lines.

Imo, he's a good 2nd liner because he can start up anyone that plays with him. He has been paired up with Kovalev and Latendresse, with Chipchura and Kotsitsyn and with Plekanec and Perezhogin, and each time his line would be dangerous. He's good enough offensively that he can be a 60 points guy every year.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Habitant#1

I think he's the type of player that really helps in the playoffs, especially if you get hit with injuries. He's just so versatile!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hard to say. I guess it'll depend on what kind of season he has and what kind of money that will equate to in next year's market. We're going to have problems keeping our defense and continuing to give raises to our good young players under the cap, so Johnson might indeed be a cap casualty. In some ways, maybe we should hope that's the case: because it would mean that a lot of our young players had fabulous seasons and earned raises, etc.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Habbadasher

I was living in Toronto when he was signed out of university and was really hyped by the media. Yes, he is a little soft, but he does have good enough skills, and speed to be a second liner, and is a very good third liner at worst.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2006, 09:59 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd View Post
Looks like a keeper to me: fast, mature, involved. I definately agree w you that he looks like he can easily be put on the 2nd line... and belong there. In fact, i'm relieved he's on the team for that very reason bec its looking like our 2nd line may be a big prob again this year.

Question: Does Kovalav know what the ****** PASSING the puck means ???
If the Habs weren't so short on top end forwards he'd be spending every 3rd-4th game in the press box !! What a disappointment he's becoming to me.....and I was one of those trying to be patient w him.
Kovy was second only to Saku in assists last year...easy guys, it's pre-season...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote