HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Bob Gainey

Old
09-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

vCash: 500
Article on Bob Gainey

its quite interresting

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Toro

whats it say? can't read french

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Bob is single

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
PacketFlo

He also lost his wife to Brain cancer and his daughter became a heroin addict at the age of 13. She's doing fine today!

The guy has been to hell and back again!

PacketFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Burnside_1

Really interesting article, he seems really brilliant and cultivated. Even a little bit of a philosopher too. It feels even greater that this guy has integrated so well in the city and the culture. Great article.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I've been lucky enough to meet Mr Gainey quite a few times and he truly is what this article says he is. Polite, kind, patient to a fault. I didn't know about his daughter once being a heroin addict though!

I remember having a friend who couldn't speak much english asking him for a job at the Bell center and Bob spent over half an hour with us trying to find the right person throughout the arena, even though he couldn't understand a thing of what he was saying. And he didn't even know who we were, we were just fans and it was enough for him to care.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Really shocking , interesting and informative all at the same time , thank you for the link.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 12:32 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Like it, thanks for the link

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Great read. Thanks.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Google enligsh translation. Yea, it's pretty long, but very interesting:

Bob Gainey: montréalais quiet

Réjean Tremblay

The Press

The world is funny. It was necessary that Bob Gainey turns an advertisement for the St-Hubert grill rooms so that it is discovered that it could smile. And the reactions of people show well that Bob Gainey is a much larger high-speed motorboat than Martin Matte. In all the cases, it is a high-speed motorboat which surprises more.

It should be said that one knows little about Bob Gainey well. And it should be said, especially, that the director general of the Canadian is not the kind of man to spread out his joys and his torments over the public place. Gainey is incarnated discretion.

Robert Gainey is a Montréalais truth. He remains Rene-Lévesque boulevard, in full downtown area, and can go to foot to his favorite places when the heart him of known as. Like the other evening, when it went to see singing Ziggy Marley in Spectrum: “It was more by curiosity, it is nevertheless the son of Bob Marley, you know the reggae”, tells Bob Gainey.

It is what he likes. Small rooms where it can be based with the customers and communier in peace with the music. It does not have same the feeling in the large shows of street of the Festival of jazz: “But on October 13, I would like to be able to release me to go to hear Michel Rivard with the Symphony orchestra. To hear how will sound this music of quality with a full orchestra”, adds Gainey.

It did not say “to sound” but it is what it wanted to say. All the two hours interview proceeded in French. Sometimes, for the facility of the reading, I have literary French récrit what had been harder. I think of having been always respectful of the thought of Gainey.

The history is known. And those which were not that kids know the legends. Bob Gainey, the large one and large kid 19 year old which started from Peterborough to come to settle all alone in Montreal. And which cut a place with the Canadian: “It is because Réjean Houle had chosen to leave for the Scandinavian ones that I had a chance”, says it with modesty.

Do not prevent, the next year, it is the number 23 which one will withdraw, not the 15.

The history, it is a large left winger strapping man and coriace which Victor Tikhonov described as better attacking in the world, it is a quiet strapping man on the aircraft and the buses which jasait with low voice with Doug Jarvis or who always had the nose plunged in a book. The history, become legend, it is a courageous and hard player who already gained a Stanley Cut after having had the two shoulders luxated during the series. Those of 1979 when the players of the Canadian had carried it on their shoulders after the final victory. Because they, they knew.

The history, it is the captain of 1986 who took the control of the team to lead it to the Stanley Cut. And which after the defeat finally against Flames of Calgary, “you remember, it is the goal of Lanny McDonald”, left with his/her four children and his Cathy wife for Épinal…

It is after 1989 that the history became the legend…

I chose Épinal to articulate the interview because it is the episode of the life of Gainey which depicts it best. He was a captain of the Canadian of Montreal, finalist of the Stanley Cut and here it is which unloads with weapons and luggage in a small city of the Vosges crossed by a beautiful river which fed a workshop where one manufactured the famous images… of Épinal.

“I think that Épinal illustrates well an aspect of my personality. The sport made me discover that I was not afraid to open a door. I am not afraid to open it and go to see what there is behind. I do not remain in the anteroom if I can open the door”, says it.

Do not prevent it was a whole experiment: “It is one year when I learned much. The first months, I did not include/understand a traitor word. I lived in a village of farmers close to Épinal. It was even necessary to relearn to eat. I then better included/understood the difficulties encountered by players, like Mats Naslund, which came from Europe to settle in Montreal. And I felt even more respect for the efforts of adaptation than they were to deploy”, tells it

Today, the players are prepared better with these exiles. The Samsonov young person is married with American and adapted easily to the North-American life. Like Alexei Kovalev, who is now a true American. On the other hand, Andrei Markov, according to Gainey, is very Russian. “It is very important to turn over to Russia to each summer. Players of today, if they believe that they are likely to play in the national League, prepare better. They learn a little English and can with what expect. I believe that it is less difficult for these young people to adapt to their new life. You know, the world is quite different in 2006 that it was not it in 1986.”

Remain that it is not always obvious. It there with the family…

“But I as discovered in Épinal as one does not have to worry for the children. They adapt very quickly. They included/understood French after a few months and had been already made friends.”

“Besides, I kept bonds with Épinal. During the lockout, my Steven son went to play all the season for the team of Épinal. And after our return to Minnesota, my children are turned over to spend one month each summer during four or five years. We, we received French children at the house in a kind of exchange. And then, Anne, a girl of Épinal, is remained at the house during two years in Dallas where it came to study. I even think that it still lives in Dallas”, to tell Gainey.

And then, Mr Bob as called it people of Épinal, learned another very important thing during his stay in France: “Here, in America, one expects that all is done immediately.

One asks something, one wants that it is immediately. One wants to make repair the window, it is immediately. But in France, y' has anything immediate. One calls and one is made answer: Yes, Mr Gainey, we occupy ourselves some. You think that it is regulated. Three or four days later, one recalls: Yes, Mr Gainey, one does not forget you. Finally, nine or ten days later, the carpenter arrives, of beautiful mood and repairs the window. I quickly discovered that in the life, there were several ways of regulating problems”, to tell Gainey while smiling.

To regulate the problems. Bob Gainey faced very serious problems in his life. He seldom showed at which point these difficulties could upset it. His Cathy wife was reached of a cancer of the brain when it was in Minnesota. Its North Stars disputed the final of the Stanley Cut and after the matches, gains or loses, Gainey was going to find Cathy who made amazing efforts to support it in his work.

And a little later, it was found confronted with a horrible problem. One of his/her daughters became accro with heroin. One can imagine the hell for a father alone trying to save his daughter: “It was a child, it was only 13 years old. Fortunately, today, that is rather well”, says it.

When it speaks about it, it tells especially how it discovered that these dramas that one thinks single can be numerous. In groups, it met other parents with the catches with similar problems. Asking of the assistance, hoping, the broken heart, that the worst was behind and that their child would leave himself there.

Moreover, when I ask Gainey if there are other passions that hockey in its life, it answers: “I did not have of another passion as strong as my children. Now, youngest A 22 years and they live their life. Since, I like many things, but I do not have passion”, says it.

Moreover, for the interested parties, Gainey, 52 years, physical condition of marathonian, amateur of music and reading, is unmarried. End of the message.

I write amateur of music, but still there, it is necessary to balance. Gainey is not dependent on music or TV. In fact, he says it itself, he is very well in loneliness: “I am also very well only. In silence. I am not the kind of man who opens the radio while entering to the house to furnish loneliness. When I roll during five hours to go to Hamilton, I can spend the five hours in silence. I give some telephone calls, but I remain in calms. I reflect. I can extremely well spend a week in a hotel room without very opening the television set.”

And it reads much. These times, it is plunged in a traditional old man of Fenimore Cooper, the author of the Last of Mohicans.

I said that it is a Montréalais truth. Who likes and defends Montreal: “I find that the city is well. It is really a chance to live in Montreal. A positive energy is felt. And then, though one says some, it is a clean city. Cleaner. It should not be forgotten that hundreds of thousands of people use this city at the every day. There is the subway where I would make additional efforts. There are times where I travel by the subway and which I wonder whether I would let my daughter walk there.”

“This city, I feel with which point the Canadian holds an important place to with it. Moreover, if one asks me when I feel the pressure of my work, I would say that it is in September when I hear what the partisans hope for. The remainder of the year, I do my work, day after day, while making my better. But with the autumn and perhaps before the series, when I stop a little and that I am really conscious of waitings of people, then there, I feel the pressure”, to explain Gainey.

It reflects a few seconds when I ask him who am his true owner at the Canadian: “Mr Boivin. It is Pierre Boivin my owner. It is with him which I return of the accounts even if in the facts, truths owners are always the fans and the players”, adds it.

I have known Bob Gainey for more than 30 years. I remember his large buckled head of 20 year old young man already too quiet. On the buses or the aircraft, it was always in its place. Posed and already riper than of the players aguerris such as Jim Roberts or Pete Mahovlich. In the content, it is there that I knew it. During these interminable voyages to Vancouver or Los Angeles or while waiting on the tarmac of an airport in a bus after a victory. -

Why, Bob, to have banished the few journalists of the writing of the planes and buses of the team? It is there that the journalists can know and include/understand the players best? In the long run, you draw in the foot… -

- It is right a question of competition. Elsewhere in the national League, the players only travel on their aircraft, one offers the same environment to them. It is like the carpark. In time, one stationed Place Alexis-Nihon and one crossed the street to go to the Forum and it was quite correct. But today, the players have interior parkings in all the buildings. One must offer the same conveniences to them. It is like the complete meals offered after the matches. Elsewhere in the League, they have these meals, one also gives some to them in Montreal. It is logical besides, they are involved extremely, it is normal that they eat well”, answers it. -

- And you find normal that there are only four Québécois with the Canadian? Did not know you that in your time? -

- It is obvious that it is important. But it is not a business which will be regulated in a few weeks. That will take time. If hockey is even more popular, if it is taught better, then, one will be able to find more players Québécois. But I do not have a clear and complete response on this subject. One finds players now everywhere, even in California or in Dallas. And then, there are other teams which are well-informed that there are good players on our premises. There are many leaders who come from Quebec.”

One quickly finds the names of Pierre Lacroix, Jacques Lemaire, Michel Therrien, Alain Vigneault, Claude Julien and some others. That starts to make world with the mass.

“They is curious to which point the large imaginative players come especially from Quebec and Vancouver. It would be said that more liberal companies allow even their players hockey to be more expressed. The people of Ontario me say that it there have be Wayne Gretzky, but that contradict not it that I say”, say it.

It reflects a few seconds and adds: “I recognize that it is however necessary to do our work with competence. It is necessary that the fans know that we make our duties”, says it.

Bob Gainey thinks that its team has what it is necessary to know a good season. It is him which requires what I think of Carbo. I answer him by a remark of Patrick Roy who wondered last spring if Carbo could be enough “malicious” to make go a whole cloakroom. “So that I know, one can be a good person and finish his day with a work well done. I am not anxious, Carbo has what it is necessary”, he says.

- But are you a director general patient with a coach?

- Me, I think that I am patient. (It hesitates and smiles) But probably that Claude Julien thinks that I am not it enough, answers it.

Does it have was patient with Jose Theodore?

“I loved much Jose. It is a good boy, but I think that it had too much pressure on the shoulders with his stories of family. I do not remember exactly any more of the date, but Pierre Lacroix called me. Approximately six weeks before the transaction. Its offer did not satisfy me. And then, it was necessary that I would be certain that Cristobal Huet was fine loan. But finally, Pierre and me we are heard. It is a transaction where everyone gains”, it explains.

Marcel Aubut, who had met Bob Gainey in Paris to offer to him the post of director general of Scandinavian in 1990, defines the team work as follows: “Many people which does what I say them to make. “Gainey has another definition in its way of working: “I seek to know how I can add my talent to that of the others.”

It is Robert Gainey, the so discrete director general of the Canadian, it is him.

Bob Gainey entrusts “I did not have a dautre passion as strong as my children. Now, youngest A 22 years and they live their life. Since, I like many things but I do not have passion.”

“The sport made me découvirir that I was not afraid to open a door. I am not afraid to open it and go to see what there is behind. I do not remain in the anteroom if I can open the door.”

“I am very quite alone. In silence. When I roll five hours to go to Hamilton, I can spend the five hours in silence. I reflect.”

“Here, in America, one expects that all is made continuation very. One asks something, one wants that it is immediately. One wants to make repair the window, it is immediately. But in France, there is nothing immediate.”

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
i remember 3 years ago. during training camp at the Pierrefonds arena(before the horde of fans started showing up) i had gone up to gainey with my sister and we had asked him for a picture. he calmly said "well if i take a pic with you, i'd have to take a pic with everyone as well"

lol its funny how he didnt even say "no" he just made us understand why he wasn't going to take one with us.

thats my story lol

Ace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Great read. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post