HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malhotra on Waivers???

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 11:15 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

vCash: 500
Yeah..just saw this on www.dallasstars.com

I'm sure a lot of teams will put in a waiver claim for him.
Worst team in standings that puts in a claim gets Malhotra.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
It's all bull.. just some fan of his who wants to see him play elsewhere..
Actually, it doesn't appear that you are correct on that one.

Globe and Mail Story

Not sure why you assumed there was no merit to the story.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

It's the only option Stars management had.. It isn't about not having the room for him but it's that he's in their planns, just not now and scratching him 82 games a season could interefere with his potential. They would love him to play in Utah and they hope he will make it that far as they expect Manny will not be picked up with his million + salary.

Also, with Downey having played extremely well, with Tjarnqvist impressing and with Kapanen, Miettinen and Ott emerging, there's not a whole lot of room for him to prove himself.

I hope he won't be picked up, but whoever does has a real sleeper.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Actually, it doesn't appear that you are correct on that one.

Globe and Mail Story

Not sure why you assumed there was no merit to the story.
Since there was no link and no real source at the time. I also didn't hear anyone talking about it for expect the threadstarter.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:31 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
It's the only option Stars management had.. It isn't about not having the room for him but it's that he's in their planns, just not now and scratching him 82 games a season could interefere with his potential. They would love him to play in Utah and they hope he will make it that far as they expect Manny will not be picked up with his million + salary.

Also, with Downey having played extremely well, with Tjarnqvist impressing and with Kapanen, Miettinen and Ott emerging, there's not a whole lot of room for him to prove himself.

I hope he won't be picked up, but whoever does has a real sleeper.
come on... a second ago this story was "bull" as quoted by you... now just a few posts later "it's the only option Stars management had..."

this is the same reversal that you did with the Sydor/Numminen deal - where you had "lost all faith" in Stars management if they made that deal, only for it to be a deal that made sense after the fact...

Manny IMO is very unlikely to clear waivers... like I said before his salary is almost half of Weimer's (who makes $1.6mill a year, but the difference isnt' that much more than half when you consider how much of Manny's salary has already been paid out) - plus he's a good 6 years or so younger than Weimer as well...

a gritty center in his early 20s making $1mill a year isn't that much - most rookies get more than that now with their ridiculous bonus clauses.. all it takes is 1 GM to see potential there - and I doubt that he falls through 29 other teams without interest.

also with the above mentioned rookies - if these rookies are impressing, then the vets on the team must be having the worst years of their careers!! Dallas is below 500 aren't they?? and Mittenen was also just recently sent down, wasn't he?? for a struggling team, the management must be out to lunch if they're sending down rookies who are impressing, while the team is struggling.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
come on... a second ago this story was "bull" as quoted by you... now just a few posts later "it's the only option Stars management had..."
Yawn..

Bull because I hadn't seen a link, real source and since I hadn't hearded anyone talking about it, the "bull" is not directed towards the sense..

*handkiss*

Old
11-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Bruwinz37

4 years younger, not 6.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:36 AM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
You took the words right out of my mouth. Lacroix tried very hard to entice NYR to squirm out of that pick. I'd love to see Malhotra in Colorado.
We agree again. I can't go with you on Darcy Tucker, though. Where he goes, locker room problems follow...and with all the new guys in the Avs room, that is not what they need.

I doubt Malhotra will last long enough for the Avs to get him...but I will keep my fingers crossed...

Old
11-19-2003, 11:53 AM
IslesRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
We agree again. I can't go with you on Darcy Tucker, though. Where he goes, locker room problems follow...and with all the new guys in the Avs room, that is not what they need.

I doubt Malhotra will last long enough for the Avs to get him...but I will keep my fingers crossed...
Really surprised that everyone is so high on Malhotra. Look at his stats, he is a "defensive" center who has never in his career be a plus player, he makes over $1 million and has a total of 52 points in 290 career games, and is not a tough guy.

Compared to Wiemer, who is 4 years older, also never been a plus player, makes over $1 million, has 180 points in 616 career games and has 1,211 PIMs.

I don't know of many teams who would claim him, just to much money for a 4th liner.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Peter Griffin

I would like to see the Canucks take a chance on Malhotra. With Lindgren out indefinitely, the Canucks may need to replace him on the roster eventually, and Malhotra would bring some size, grit, and defensive awareness to the table. He's still relatively young at 23 and still has a chance to develop into a good 3rd line two-way forward. I know that Brian Burke was very interested in Malhotra when Pavel Bure was rumoured to be going to the Rangers, I wonder if he'd still have some interest 5 years later...

Old
11-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Starsdude

Interesting thoughts on Manny who never could fill a role here. I personally am disappointed that Army could not trade him in the summer when he had some value. certainly a pick could have been had then our perhaps included in the sydor deal for a higher pick from Columbus or to phoenix for the right to resign Teppo without the pick. Again , can manny be traded. How do waivers work

Old
11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Again , can manny be traded. How do waivers work
If he passes through waivers then the Stars still hold his rights and can either trade him, send him to the minors or buy him out at 75% of his remaining contract. That said, I can't see him passing through...

Old
11-19-2003, 12:19 PM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRule
Really surprised that everyone is so high on Malhotra. Look at his stats, he is a "defensive" center who has never in his career be a plus player, he makes over $1 million and has a total of 52 points in 290 career games, and is not a tough guy.

Compared to Wiemer, who is 4 years older, also never been a plus player, makes over $1 million, has 180 points in 616 career games and has 1,211 PIMs.

I don't know of many teams who would claim him, just to much money for a 4th liner.
I guess it would be the combination of size, speed, and potential...and the feeling that thus far in his career, he has been mishandled. I can't shake the notion that he could bloom into a very reliable 3/4th liner under the right circumstances.

It will be interesting to see who takes the chance on him. I doubt he will fall far enough for it to be the Avs...

Old
11-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Manny has never been a scorer, and never will. 15g, 25a might be his max output, but he's huge, lightning fast, hits HARD, great on the PK, and can really shut a guy down. He's been screwed by NYR management (tried to make him a winger?!? He was the best defensive Center in his draft class!) but hopefully in Dallas they got his head a little more straight. He CAN be a great shutdown center, I remember him playing against Joe Thornton in junior, I have the tape, and he just plastes the high holy snot out of Joe all game, fights him, and beats the snot out of him there. He was Guelph's youngest Captain ever I believe, and with reason. You wouldn't want a bigger, faster, more offensively skilled (he has a GREAT shot, just not great puck skills, though even puck skills can be corrected with enough training) Guy Carbonneau on your team? He can definitely be that. Whoever gets him and lets him sit on the 3rd line and cut his teeth against the top Centers is going to be pleasently surprised.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:37 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
I'm campaigning for him in Ottawa. If we put in a claim for Wiemer, i think Malhotra is a similar player with more tangible skills.
Not many seem interested, though.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Grady41

I would like La to pick him up when need players who can check and hit. Plus we are getting up there in man games missed to injuries again.

Does anybody know what non-playing waivers are?

Old
11-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Reign Nateo

If Malhotra was drafted 666th overall no one would care, but because he was drafted 6th overall his value is overrated. Just like when some fans tried to claim that he indeed had some trade value, which obviously he didn't.

He's on waivers for a reason, he has but up poor numbers since entering the league and makes too much money for a guy who does his role. In Vancouver we have Chubarov who does a better job for 3-400 000$ less. Most teams have a guy like that.

Having said that, a team may take a chance. I could see him getting picked, but I can also see him slipping through.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Volchenkov

I personally would like to see him in Ottawa. I'd take him over Shastlivy at this point. Besides, for the playoffs we can sit Neil and roll a 4th line of Vermette-Malhotra-Fisher which would be one hell of a line.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Patty Roy

I'd take him in Montreal. Size, speed and good on the PK is definitely something Montreal could use. Sending Audette to the minors would be an easy way to clear roster space.

I'd prefer Malhotra in the lineup to Langdon if the Habs are facing a "goonless" hockey club.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Takeo

I'd love to see him on the Sabres. He's exactly the type of player they need. A 4th line of PETERS--MALHOTRA--MAIR would be one of the better 4th lines in the league IMHO. With an average size of about 6-2, 220 and average age of 23!

Old
11-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckMan
Um, isn't that basically what the Wild's roster has been comprised of since their inception?

Checking line players + Gaborik.
Checking line players? *knock, knock* Sergei Zholtok a checker? Dupuis? P.M. Bouchard? How about Alex Daigle? I don't think so. What you are failing to see is that we are taking cast offs and retreads and turning them into defensively responsible and oppourtunistic hockey players. If we had the Olson Twins on our second line would this would this crap stop? I'd love to see Malhotra slip to the Wild, we'll turn him into a 20 goal scorer and use him against the Cannucks in the playoffs...

Old
11-20-2003, 06:34 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
In Vancouver we have Chubarov who does a better job for 3-400 000$ less. Most teams have a guy like that.

it's actually $200K more... Chubs makes $847K, Manny makes $1.05M

I would take a chance on him... depending on the extent of Lindgren's injuries.... I would rather have him on our 4th line than Smith at this point... and acquiring him also allows us to move Linden to the right side - and then use Chubs and Manny on the 3rd and 4th pivot spots.

I agree that a lot of his hype is because he was drafted so high... but the guy is still young, and it's unlikely that he's plateaued in his development already... at worst he's a tough gritty defensive depth center - which I agree is too much to pay $1mill a year for... but I think paying $600K or so for a depth player like that is very reasonable...

then when you add in his age - and at 23 I still think he has more game to show us - that's the risk I'd pay that extra $400K for.

but again I don't think there is any chance of it happening... he won't drop to us, and if he does, I agree that Burke isn't going to add $1mill to an already high payroll to add to our depth positions.

Old
11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Why not just sign Ronning, who at least has some NHL level skills.
I feel Malhotra is a much better option in Montreal. He's a young guy who is worth taking a chance on. Ronning is just another old "smallie" who would maybe be a band-aid for this year and keep the team unidimensional.

Old
11-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

For those wondering what non-playing waivers is, I believe it's that he's on waivers and isn't allowed to play during that time. When Fleury got waived he was in the Blackhawks lineup the next day, but now Manny has to wait and see if he'll play in the NHL again. If no one claims him, he'll be off to Utah.

I, like many others, agree he'll get picked up. The Blackhawks apparentley wanted Weimer, but the Wild beat them to it. They may go atfer him. Or PL might, as he tried to draft him.

Old
11-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I feel Malhotra is a much better option in Montreal. He's a young guy who is worth taking a chance on. Ronning is just another old "smallie" who would maybe be a band-aid for this year and keep the team unidimensional.
Actually I was referring to the Thrashers, not the Habs. Ronning makes no sense for the Habs right now.

Closed Thread