HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur Comment

Old
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
KFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
He's got no credentials whatsoever. NONE!

On this particular quote, I don't see it at all being a shot at Jagr. If the last part of the quote ("Most of the best players play with an illegal stick.") had not been there than it does look like he's poking fun at Jagr though.

He in no way "crapped all over" him. He stated that Messier's guarantee in the 1994 ECF was blown out of proportion because it's a 50/50 bet. (I don't agree with Marty on this assessment due to the fact that Messier notched a hat-trick and beat the Devils practically by himself). That's all he said.

However, apparently Broduer's comments are extremely brazen compared to fans claiming that one of the most accomplished goaltenders in the history of the league has absolutely no idea what he is talking about when it comes to the NHL.

people on this board need to stop trashing Broduer

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
That wasnt a shot at Jagr, but making him an example in in itself shows you what team is on his mind the most.
True.

Likewise, this latest in a line of Brodeur threads suggests the obsession is mutual.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
True.

Likewise, this latest in a line of Brodeur threads suggests the obsession is mutual.
Oh yes, very much so... thats why theres such a great rival between the two teams -theres always the fodder to chew on.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Oh yes, very much so... thats why theres such a great rival between the two teams -theres always the fodder to chew on.
True.

Old
09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

It is actually a lot harder to play with a stick that has a big curve. The bigger curve makes it harder to stick handle. So actually, it demonstrates more skill if you can be an expert stickhanlder and have a big curve. Horrible rule

Gottokeeponrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
mjdlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post

Agree, there's no real need to trash him, his ocassional swipes at the Rangers and their players are entirely human and understandable.

Marty knows that even after the Devils throughly dominated the Rangers for a decade and won three Cups, they were unable to unseat the Rangers as the No. 1 team in the area as far as popularity and visibility goes. He's frustrated. Can you blame him?

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:52 PM
giddy up

Jagr got busted w/ illegal sticks many time he is a CHEATER

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Fletch

With a stick...

with more curves, the velocity and movement of the puck is greater, and thus there's always been a fear of more injuries. An extreme example would be using aluminum bats in the major leagues.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Jagr got busted w/ illegal sticks many time he is a CHEATER
You mean he got caught with an illegal blade more than once?

What a shocker because it's noy like a ton of NHLer's didn't use illegal curves on their stick.

Have you ever been to a game down low and seen some of the skilled guys blades?

Just take a look at Yash....Oh, I forgot I said the skilled guys.

Stick to worrying about what Dipi will look like at 40 yrs old making almost 5 million in a cap world.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlight View Post
Marty knows that even after the Devils throughly dominated the Rangers for a decade and won three Cups, they were unable to unseat the Rangers as the No. 1 team in the area as far as popularity and visibility goes. He's frustrated. Can you blame him?
As any of the long-timers here can attest, I come here to partake in friendly discussion, not inflame, as a few other fans of rival teams do. For example, I do not concur with my fellow NYI fan's assessment that Jagr is a "cheater"; I find the characterization petty.

That stated, one must ask this question:

Do you really think a professional athlete is so shallow to place "popularity and visibility" above winning championships?

For that matter, do you (or any other fan)?

Just one person's opinion, but even in the shallow, celebrity-obsessed culture of today, the priorities in sports remain constant, despite what ESPN brainwashes some to believe.

That is, it's niiiiiice to be popular and liiiiiiked. And, to be sure, it equates to revenue for the Dolans and friends of the world.

But to a fan, is that really even a consideration? If so, why?

My team is subpar and unpopular, relative to NYR. Frankly, I could care less if they draw one fan in the stands (and they may get there!)....As long as they win on the ice.

Put it another way: my team may have the most "popular" goalie in the Tri-State area, by virtue of his ridiculous contract, pithy (juvenile) quotes and teenage hearthrob looks. He also happens to be the third best starting goalie among three local teams...and I'd exchange his dubious achievement (popularity) for RESULTS eight days a week.

Just seems to me that the popularity card is (in many cases) the long-time predictable last refuge of fans on teams that do not win Cups.

Old
09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Agree, there's no real need to trash him, his ocassional swipes at the Rangers and their players are entirely human and understandable.

Great point but still Screw him and his ugly helmut

Richter 3 Devils 0

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
mjdlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Just seems to me that the popularity card is (in many cases) the long-time predictable last refuge of fans on teams that do not win Cups.
As a fan, I personally could care less about popularity: if I were the only Rangers fan in the whole world, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs in an empty MSG as they lifted the Cup aloft.

Broduer has made many mean-spirited and petty remarks about the Rangers and their players over the years. The question is: to what can we ascribe this pettiness to?

Surely, as I point out, its not about achievement, as the Devils have achieved much more in the same time period than the Rangers have.

Then what is the motivation for this pattern of Brodeur's? I have shared my speculation, and of course, others are free to speculate as they wish.

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post

Richter 3 Devils 0
So we finally win a playoff series against the Rangers (in embarrassing fashion) and you change the title to from Rangers to Richter??? That's pretty good.

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Fletch

One thing it can do...

(Marty stirring the pot that is) would be for attention to the Rangers/Devils among the local fans - help make it one of the best rivalries in hockey. We've spent numerous hours and countless threads on Brodeur. That's a good thing for local hockey. He's faced the Rangers probably more than any other team in the NHL, be it in regular season, preseason or postseason. If he were going to take a pot shot, or use an example, I think it's natural to cite a Ranger, or the Rangers.

Old
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Fletch

You do have to admit...

that is pretty clever - and it wil always be true.

I care more about the Devils having three Cups to the Rangers one in the period of time it took to achieve those four. I'd gladly trade in those three playoff wins against the Devils for two more Cups.

Old
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
As a fan, I personally could care less about popularity: if I were the only Rangers fan in the whole world, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs in an empty MSG as they lifted the Cup aloft.

Broduer has made many mean-spirited and petty remarks about the Rangers and their players over the years. The question is: to what can we ascribe this pettiness to?

Surely, as I point out, its not about achievement, as the Devils have achieved much more in the same time period than the Rangers have.

Then what is the motivation for this pattern of Brodeur's? I have shared my speculation, and of course, others are free to speculate as they wish.
Fair enough.

I admittedly have a sensitivity when it comes to those who place celebrity over accomplishment; clearly neither you nor I fit into that dubious group of fans.

Winning is everything and the only thing as far as I'm concerned. Always.

And in that regard, your team has a very fair shot at overtaking Brodeur and his team this season, IMO.

Old
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatmat View Post
I agree. Brodeur is too classy to pinpoint a player personnally
he did to messier.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
You mean he got caught with an illegal blade more than once?

What a shocker because it's noy like a ton of NHLer's didn't use illegal curves on their stick.

Have you ever been to a game down low and seen some of the skilled guys blades?

Just take a look at Yash....Oh, I forgot I said the skilled guys.

Stick to worrying about what Dipi will look like at 40 yrs old making almost 5 million in a cap world.
HAHA, bravo.

15 years later he'll come back with a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post

Richter 3 Devils 0
I'll drink to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
heh, Marty will pinpoint a player, then go home and pin-down that players wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Don't you guys know that Broduer plays for the NJ Devils? He can say and do whatever he wants. He is above any and all criticism.
Yeah, it's the same way with a lot of the Devils fans on the boards, they can take all of the shots in the world, but when someone takes a shot at them, OMGZ!#^%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
He's got no credentials whatsoever. NONE!

On this particular quote, I don't see it at all being a shot at Jagr. If the last part of the quote ("Most of the best players play with an illegal stick.") had not been there than it does look like he's poking fun at Jagr though.

He in no way "crapped all over" him. He stated that Messier's guarantee in the 1994 ECF was blown out of proportion because it's a 50/50 bet. (I don't agree with Marty on this assessment due to the fact that Messier notched a hat-trick and beat the Devils practically by himself). That's all he said.

However, apparently Broduer's comments are extremely brazen compared to fans claiming that one of the most accomplished goaltenders in the history of the league has absolutely no idea what he is talking about when it comes to the NHL.
Brodeur indirectly called him an overrated captain. 6 Stanley Cups, a Hart Trophy, a Conn Smythe, and there's about another 1,887 reasons that will tell you that Brodeur doesn't know what he's talking about with the subject in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post

And the people on the Devil boards should stop trashing the Rangers then.

It takes two to tango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottokeeponrisin View Post
It is actually a lot harder to play with a stick that has a big curve. The bigger curve makes it harder to stick handle. So actually, it demonstrates more skill if you can be an expert stickhanlder and have a big curve. Horrible rule
Great point, that's why I use a flat curve, more like a Reebok Modano/Easton Forsberg/Bauer Hossa. I stick handle much better with those curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
with more curves, the velocity and movement of the puck is greater, and thus there's always been a fear of more injuries. An extreme example would be using aluminum bats in the major leagues.
That's a good point and all, but it's so hard to shoot with what is deemed as an illegal NHL curve. I've tried it before, using pro-stock sticks, and it's nearly impossible for me to shoot with. I get a good wrist shot, but my slapshot looks like something out a Russ Tyler Knuckle Puck, it's terrible. The skilled players who can shoot with those curves should be allowed to use them. It's not like big curve = steroids, that's a completely different issue that we won't get into.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Marty is a smart ***, toungue firmly planted in cheek, saying truly funny, outrageous stuff -- which is why the press love him. He is a great quote. He could care less what anyone thinks, which I think is one of things that sets him apart from the herd. None of the "we take it one game at a time, one shift at a time" rote responses... No introverted goalie weirdness. Just confidence and a huge sense of humor.

And he LOVES the Ranger/Devils rivalry. He gets up for every game at MSG more than anywhere else. And any time he can get the Rangers goat, he goes for it. Always with a smile. Always as a joke. If folks can't take a joke, and think that is "classless", get a life. The NHL, and specifically the Devils-Rangers rivalry, would much more boring and un-fun without the likes of Marty Brodeur.

That said... The "Brodeur Comment" in question was sticking up for Jags, albeit Marty-style sarcastic, as he recognises JJ's role as one of the elite players the fans pay to see in things like a shootout. No way he should be forced to sit. And because of powerful voices, like Marty, the NHL listened and changed the rule.

Ask ANY goalie, at any level, who sets the standards in the NHL. Who is the most respected, revered, looked up to, etc., it is Brodeur. Ask the Ranger's own Kevin Weekes, for example, who was quoted regarding the preponderance of goalies being run in the new NHL rules -- and he differed to Brodeur to correct the problem within the league (as in Weekes own opinion Marty is who all the goalies look toward within the system for their biggest voice.) I believe he now heads that portion of the players association for that reason. Anyone who plays the position loves and respects Marty Brodeur, regardless of team rivalry.

He will likely break Roy's win record. And will have the most Stanley Cup playoff success in history upon retirement. By the time he is done it will be hard to see him as anything but the best ever, despite "Marty is overrated" threads popping up on HF all the time. Obviously, the players don't feel that. Especially the other goalies. (Just idiots on HF...)

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 08:39 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Hall of famer or not, he will always be Marty Brodouche to me.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatmat View Post
I agree. Brodeur is too classy to pinpoint a player personnally
haha

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Heat McManus

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/60284.htm

Quote:
And Messier would have been just another aging import who failed to bring the Rangers the Cup.

"A big part of being remembered is winning the Stanley Cup," Brodeur said.

"Other that that, he has a .500 record of getting his team into the playoffs."

Brodeur seemed to still be less-than-impressed about Messier's called shot.

"How many times does it happen, that a player guarantees something? So often that it's never remembered if it doesn't happen," Brodeur said.

Still, Brodeur applauded the honor and ceremony for Messier.

"I'm happy for him," Brodeur said. "It's a good moment for the Rangers, too, after all the tough years they've been through.

"He's the one that really made it happen for them."

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 09:55 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogu View Post
If I understood the comment correctly (after reading the whole article), Brodeur just states that the rule about the illegal stick curve was ridiculous and thus seeing Jagr sitting on the bench not allowed to shoot in the shootout (because of the illegal stick) was ridiculous.
That's my feeling as well.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Messier quotes are priceless, what a tool.

He can't actually believe that Messier is anything less than a legend of the game...6 cups says it all

How great is it that 1994 STILL stings Broduer.

His accomplished career will likely end just as it started. Bitter defeat at the hands of the NY Rangers.

and Trotts...you make, as usual, excellent points but there could be something to the sting the Devil fans feel at a percieved lack of attention/respect from the NY media sports world...

They have had one of the truely GREAT teams in any sport in the last decade and are largely ignored by all but their small dedicated fanbase which happens to be in the NYR backyard.

Hockey will always get pushed down the page by the other sports, but it has to suck when you win three cups and play to half empty arenas a few miles from a horrible team that almost sells out everynight...ala the Rangers the previous 8 years.

Broduer is one of the greatest tenders all time, but in half a season Lundqvist and Prucha are way Bigger stars than anyone on the Devils. Based partly on great rookie seasons but equally just because the play for The New York Rangers.

09-25-2006, 11:11 PM
KFC

Quote:
And the people on the Devil boards should stop trashing the Rangers then.

It takes two to tango.
first off... just because other people do it, that means you have too also? ... thats dumb... and secondly i realize that the rangers and devils are rivals and its only normal and right to rag on the players of the opposing teams... but it just seems to me, going to far when people start bashing him because of personal issues like him cheating on his wife... i mean he didn't kill anyone... they guy just made a mistake... or maybe he doesnt even view it as that, i have no idea. The point is that it just seems awfully pretentious to call him out for something like that because lord knows everyone has done things they aren't proud of...

i dont have a problem with because its only right that ranger fans voice their dislike for brodeur, being how he has been the cause of so much of our misery...

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote