HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur Comment

Old
09-26-2006, 01:19 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Like I said, he indirectly called him a bad captain.

".500 record of getting his teams into the playoffs?" So what he's saying is that all of those years that the Oilers made the playoffs, with and without Gretzky, plus the first tenure in NY gave him a .500 playoff appearance precentage? That's just non-sense. Brodeur is speaking out of his *** with that statement. He made the playoffs 17 seasons out of the 25 he played. The Canucks were TERRIBLE during Messier's time. They had a mediocre defense, and crappy goaltending. The Rangers during Messier's 2nd stint were the most dysfunctional group of people I've ever seen put together in an attempt to be called a team. The only thing they did was towards the end of Messier's career was beat the Islanders up. Not even Messier could pull a team with no desire to play for each other together. There was a buring fire to win in Edmonton, the same in NY the first time around. Vancouver spent all of their money on Messier, and forgot what defense and goaltending were.

Even if it was the case, it's pretty damn amazing that for a ".500 playoff appearance percentage" Messier scored 109 goals and 295 points in 239 games en route to winning 6 Stanley Cups. Just imagine if that ".500 playoff appearance percentage" was around .600 or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
first off... just because other people do it, that means you have too also? ... thats dumb... and secondly i realize that the rangers and devils are rivals and its only normal and right to rag on the players of the opposing teams... but it just seems to me, going to far when people start bashing him because of personal issues like him cheating on his wife... i mean he didn't kill anyone... they guy just made a mistake... or maybe he doesnt even view it as that, i have no idea. The point is that it just seems awfully pretentious to call him out for something like that because lord knows everyone has done things they aren't proud of...

i dont have a problem with because its only right that ranger fans voice their dislike for brodeur, being how he has been the cause of so much of our misery...
But it's right them to do it, and not me? Well that's just as dumb, if not more dumb.

I don't hate Brodeur, I just think the comments he made about Messier were uncalled for. It shows just how much of a nerve Messier struck with his called shot hat trick in game 6, something Brodeur still to this day is obviously not over. It's one thing to be a professional of that stature, it's another to act like a whining baby to the media about something that happened in your rookie year. Any other normal person or hockey player would have been happy they made it that far as a rookie, Brodeur whines about it.

I like Brodeur's swagger and his quotes normally, but that one was completely uncalled for.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:42 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
His accomplished career will likely end just as it started. Bitter defeat at the hands of the NY Rangers.
Brodeur's end with him being the all-time wins leader. He will likely have two times the wins that Richter had in his career.

The Devils have pretty good media coverage. Four newspapers - The Star-Ledger, Bergen Record, New York Post and the Asbury Park Press - have writers closely covering the Devils. All 82 of the Devils games are broadcast live, most with America's top play-by-play man (Doc Emrick) calling the games. The Devils will have a brand new arena in one year as well. The Devils also get their highlights aired on Fox 5 NY, WABC, WNBC and WCBS.

The New York Rangers play in Midtown Manhattan, so they are going to have a huge fanbase of course. Even if the Rangers were as woeful as the New York Knicks, they would still do really well in attendance. The fact that the Devils don't have the popularity of the Rangers isn't a concern of mine.

Since hell froze over, the Devils have won three Stanley Cup Championships, four Eastern Conference Championships and six Atlantic Divion Championships. I wouldn't trade all or any of that for more fans at the game or wathing on TV. Would any of you Rangers fans trade some of that popularity for some of the Devils success since hockey resumed in January of 1995?

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 07:59 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

We all would trade some of the popularity for the success. In a NY second.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the Devils and their fans would NOT trade any of the success for more popularity either.

It will always be the Chip on the Devils shoulder. It will always be part of what drives the best rivalry in all professional sports.

As for media coverage of the teams. The Rangers losses get more attention than the Devils wins. Just the way it is

09-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Sonny Lamateena

I don't have any issues with the way Brodeur handles himself with the media, ask him a question and he will tell you how he feels, he doesn't just give the automatic response, you have to respect his honesty. I think some of his more controversial comments come from his ultra-competitive personality. He mentioned a while back how much it would of meant to win that playoff series against Patrick Roy and how much it meant to him to finally beat the Rangers in last years playoffs. It's not just about wins, records, and trophys for Brodeur, who he beats and when can be just as important. For Marty being on the losing end of one of the most remembered playoff series bothers him to this day, I'm sure he is beyond sick of seeing and hearing about "The Guarantee", and "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau". It was mentioned a while back about him doubling Richter in regular season wins, for a guy like Brodeur you can bet he remembers going 0-3 in playoff series vs. Richter more. Brodeur's competitiveness is what makes him a great goalie and a great quote, I find him highly entertaining on and off the ice.

Sonny Lamateena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 09:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Does this guy ever stop?Come on........................

He has a new book coming out Brodeur: Beyond the Crease written with Damien Cox of the Toronto Star

For some reason,Brodeur rips Scott Niedermayer

Quote:
He does not come right out and call Niedermayer greedy for signing with the Ducks or selfish for choosing knee surgery over going to the Olympics in February. But that is what he is saying. And, if you ask me, it's unfair. While Brodeur writes as if he is allowed to make decisions with his family in mind first, it appears he doesn't believe Niedermayer can, too. When Niedermayer said a big reason he went to the Ducks was to play with his brother, Rob, Brodeur brushes that aside and says he went for the bigger paycheck.

When it comes to Niedermayer's decision to have surgery and rehab his knee during the Olympic break to be available to the Ducks for the late season and playoffs (in which Niedermayer was a key factor taking Anaheim to the conference finals), Brodeur brought up Steve Yzerman and said he was willing to play in pain and that Niedermayer's decision was somehow connected to his Ducks paycheck
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=131564

Shows no appreciation of Sergei Brylin and no compassion for Larry Robinson

Can you imagine Mark Messier taking swipes at other teammates who he won three Cups with such as Niedermayer and Brylin?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Everyone knows Nieds left because he saw the writing on the wall. Smart guy that Nieds.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I guess Marty has given Lou the OK to trade Brylin if he needs to.

Old
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Does this guy ever stop?Come on........................

He has a new book coming out Brodeur: Beyond the Crease written with Damien Cox of the Toronto Star

For some reason,Brodeur rips Scott Niedermayer

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=131564

Shows no appreciation of Sergei Brylin and no compassion for Larry Robinson

Can you imagine Mark Messier taking swipes at other teammates who he won three Cups with such as Niedermayer and Brylin?
I don't care what anybody says about Marty but the guy has little to no class, period end of story.

He can throw stones, show up teamates, whine to no end all while showing himself to be a loudmouth a%^$&le.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Brodeur's end with him being the all-time wins leader. He will likely have two times the wins that Richter had in his career.

The Devils have pretty good media coverage. Four newspapers - The Star-Ledger, Bergen Record, New York Post and the Asbury Park Press - have writers closely covering the Devils. All 82 of the Devils games are broadcast live, most with America's top play-by-play man (Doc Emrick) calling the games. The Devils will have a brand new arena in one year as well. The Devils also get their highlights aired on Fox 5 NY, WABC, WNBC and WCBS.

The New York Rangers play in Midtown Manhattan, so they are going to have a huge fanbase of course. Even if the Rangers were as woeful as the New York Knicks, they would still do really well in attendance. The fact that the Devils don't have the popularity of the Rangers isn't a concern of mine.

Since hell froze over, the Devils have won three Stanley Cup Championships, four Eastern Conference Championships and six Atlantic Divion Championships. I wouldn't trade all or any of that for more fans at the game or wathing on TV. Would any of you Rangers fans trade some of that popularity for some of the Devils success since hockey resumed in January of 1995?
LOL... "...America's top play by play man...?

Such a homerish statement, Gary Thorne is 10 times better than Emrick could ever be. Emrick's voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and is too busy screaming sometimes instead of calling the play. Jim Hughson in Vancouver is also far better than Emrick, as well as Bob Miller in LA.

As for the success, sure, I would. So I wouldn't have to deal with fairweather fans, and the suits driving up our ticket prices.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:04 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

Such a homerish statement, Gary Thorne is 10 times better than Emrick could ever be. Emrick's voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and is too busy screaming sometimes instead of calling the play. Jim Hughson in Vancouver is also far better than Emrick, as well as Bob Miller in LA.

Emrick is the worst PBP play guy I have ever heard.

Hockey is plenty exciting enough without him raising his whiney little voice over every little play and describing them with words that have zero correlation to the game of hockey.

Maybe Devil fans like hearing "he spikes it" as if were watching F'in volleyball or "he shovels a pass" or my personal favorite of what a tool he is "he pitchforks it out of the zone"....what a joke

Old
09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Man, the hatred some of you show towards anything associated with the Devils is quite amusing.

And by the way, Puddy is right, like him or not - and no idea why you wouldn't except because he is the Devils PBP man - Emerick is considered America's top play by play man.

09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Emrick is the worst PBP play guy I have ever heard.

Hockey is plenty exciting enough without him raising his whiney little voice over every little play and describing them with words that have zero correlation to the game of hockey.

Maybe Devil fans like hearing "he spikes it" as if were watching F'in volleyball or "he shovels a pass" or my personal favorite of what a tool he is "he pitchforks it out of the zone"....what a joke
You mean using more than one phrase to describe the actions of the players? HOW DARE HE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

As for the success, sure, I would. So I wouldn't have to deal with fairweather fans, and the suits driving up our ticket prices.
Gary Thorne can't pronounce most players names!!

Huselius (Hyoo-seh-lee-us) = "Useless"?
Tverdovsky (Teh-ver-dov-skee) = "TeverdoRsky"?
Poti (Poh-tee) = "Potty"?

That's a pretty large part of the job. During the 95 lockout ESPN had Thorne at a Baby Sens game. His roster sheet had a typo and he called Pavol Demitra "Edmirata" for 2 1/2 periods.

Thorne yells much more than Emrick and spends less time on the actual play of the game than conversing with Melrose or Pang or whoever else is with him in the box.

If you want to compare Sam with Emrick, that's fine. They're both great at what they do. Also, I'll take JD over Chico any day of the millenium. But to say that Gary Thorne is better than Doc is just sad and misinformed.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Man, the hatred some of you show towards anything associated with the Devils is quite amusing.

And by the way, Puddy is right, like him or not - and no idea why you wouldn't except because he is the Devils PBP man - Emerick is considered America's top play by play man.
Hatred?That's amusing.You guys love the Rangers

Rags..very nice

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Hatred is too strong a word for me. It's impossible not to appreciate what the Devils have accomplished. It's a great rivalry and Broduers comments surely fuels the rivalry as much as anything else....

Broduer publicly lashing out on Neidermeyer is kind of surprising. Sour Grapes? But Why?

Old
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
You mean using more than one phrase to describe the actions of the players? HOW DARE HE!!

That would be all fine and dandy if the phrases he was using HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH F'in HOCKEY!!!

Old
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:

Isn't it? Any time you see someone singing the praises of Gary Thorne as a play-by-play man, you know there's either serious bias, hatred, or mind altering drugs involved. I feel 10x stupider having read all the way through this thread.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
JR#9*

Quote:

I outright admit I hate anything to do with the Devils except for a few of the players over the years who you have no choice but to respect if you have any sort of levelhead.

Guys like Stevens and Elias come to mind, Nieds Johnie Mac.Great players, class acts.

The hatred I have of them isn't just the rivalry but I outright couldn't stand how hockey was played throughout the 90's and while the style was undeniably successful what is also undeniable was that it was the darkest, least entertaining period of hockey since it's inception and the Devils were right at the forefront of that style, the poster children if you will.

I think Marty's stats were grossly padded as a result and I can't stand the way he carries himself, firing shots off at everybody else INCLUDING teamates all while have some really ugly skeletons in his own closet.

So that's where my hatred of the Devils comes from, I feel like for 10 yrs the NHL robbed us of entertaining hockey in favor of no skating, very few scoring chances, boring as watching paint dry hockey which was so effective, especially with the watered down talent pool because of too much expansion that teams had no choice but to follow suit.

Old
09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

And Ranger fans call Devil fans obsessed.

This whole thread should be used as a case study in obsession.

However, it is good for a few laughs! :

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
And Ranger fans call Devil fans obsessed.

This whole thread should be used as a case study in obsession.

However, it is good for a few laughs! :
Who's obsessed?

There is nobody obsessed with the Devils incuding the people in their own F'in state who for the most part can give 2 s%$^ about a team that won 3 Cups in 10 yrs and that is a direct link to the disgusting style of hockey they helped cement as the norm throughout the '90's.

Marty is a loudmouth, classless Dbag who is the last person who should be constantly spouting off about other players in the league.

Old
09-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
There is nobody obsessed with the Devils incuding the people in their own F'in state who for the most part can give 2 s%$^ about a team that won 3 Cups in 10 yrs and that is a direct link to the disgusting style of hockey they helped cement as the norm throughout the '90's.
If there is a direct link to the "disgusting style of hockey" to the lack of fanbase, how do you explain the fact that the Devils co-tenants with the CAA are one of the most exciting teams in the NBA hands down with Kidd, Jefferson and Vinsanity but continuely get less fans than the boring Devils even after reaching the NBA finals two years in a row? Real curious to hear your explanation on this one JR.

BTW, good to see your true colors come out in this post, I didn't buy your response to my post in this thread at all.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I think Marty's stats were grossly padded as a result and I can't stand the way he carries himself, firing shots off at everybody else INCLUDING teamates all while have some really ugly skeletons in his own closet.
While I respect Marty for what he's done in the NHL, I feel his stats were SLIGHTLY padded. Not grossly as you put it, JR. Just slightly. He definately benefited from the help of his team, no doubt.

But while he's a complete jackass, he's still one of the best goalies of all-time. I can't stand him, but I give him that respect and I'm sure you do as well. I think you're going a bit over the top, though, when saying his stats were grossly padded.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
If there is a direct link to the "disgusting style of hockey" to the lack of fanbase, how do you explain the fact that the Devils co-tenants with the CAA are one of the most exciting teams in the NBA hands down with Kidd, Jefferson and Vinsanity but continuely get less fans than the boring Devils even after reaching the NBA finals two years in a row? Real curious to hear your explanation on this one JR.

BTW, good to see your true colors come out in this post, I didn't buy your response to my post in this thread at all.
I seem to remember reading an article in the Orlando Sentinal (I don't even know if that's the name of the damn paper) which was bashing hockey all the way through, but offered up a chart that shows the ticket sales. It seemed that hockey arena sales were better than basketball sales TICKET WISE in a few areas. I'd assume that that would be a trend across the US.

Old
09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I seem to remember reading an article in the Orlando Sentinal (I don't even know if that's the name of the damn paper) which was bashing hockey all the way through, but offered up a chart that shows the ticket sales. It seemed that hockey arena sales were better than basketball sales TICKET WISE in a few areas. I'd assume that that would be a trend across the US.
I'm sure hockey does do better in some areas than basketball does, but it doesn't make sense to suggest that the Devils lack of attendance is because of the type of game they play when the Nets are argueably the most exciting NBA team in the league and they do worse than the Devils, perhaps there is more to the problem with the whole arena scene than what meets the eye.

Old
09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm sure hockey does do better in some areas than basketball does, but it doesn't make sense to suggest that the Devils lack of attendance is because of the type of game they play when the Nets are argueably the most exciting NBA team in the league and they do worse than the Devils, perhaps there is more to the problem with the whole arena scene than what meets the eye.
It might just mean that nobody cares about the Nets. I sometimes forget they are even in NJ still...

Old
09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
What's wrong with what Clinton said? I dislike the man and think he was a very mediocre president, but I don't have any problems with what he said or how he handled himself.
I agree with you all points here, I never liked the man but you can't blame him for being passionate about what he believe in.

And that's all I got to say about politics in this thread.