HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur Comment

Old
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I agree with you all points here, I never liked the man but you can't blame him for being passionate about what he believe in.

And that's all I got to say about politics in this thread.
Same. Not the time or place for it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
It might just mean that nobody cares about the Nets. I sometimes forget they are even in NJ still...

It might be the case, but you know the NYC area well Jon and that historically when a team is winning there are no bigger bandwagon fans in the country than here.

Even after they got to the finals the 2nd year they still couldn't get decent crowds in there during the regular season.

09-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
It might be the case, but you know the NYC area well Jon and that historically when a team is winning there are no bigger bandwagon fans in the country than here.

Even after they got to the finals the 2nd year they still couldn't get decent crowds in there during the regular season.
See, you can say that about the NY teams easily. When the Knicks are good, everyone loves them. You can't say the same about the Nets. You can somewhat say that about the Rangers, as I'll see more people wearing their jersey around sometimes. But you can't really say that about the Devils, either.

It seems that the Nets and the Devils don't get that "bandwagon" factor since they are both outside the City limits. It's kind of bizarre since I figured you'd see tons of Devils bandwagoners around after all their Cup wins. But you really didn't.

Both the Nets and the Devils have their hardcore fans. It's the location and state that kill them, IMO. Also being the newest franchise in the area really, really hurts the Devils. It's hard enough being a new team, but being a new team in a state filled with diehard Rangers and Flyers fans is even worse.

And that's another reason why I think that even with the new arena that over time it will level out and you'll still see empty seats there. Not much you can do about that other than hope that Devils fans breed more so they can grow the population out!!!

Old
09-26-2006, 01:39 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
If there is a direct link to the "disgusting style of hockey" to the lack of fanbase, how do you explain the fact that the Devils co-tenants with the CAA are one of the most exciting teams in the NBA hands down with Kidd, Jefferson and Vinsanity but continuely get less fans than the boring Devils even after reaching the NBA finals two years in a row? Real curious to hear your explanation on this one JR.

BTW, good to see your true colors come out in this post, I didn't buy your response to my post in this thread at all.
Look Lou, you one of the Devil posters I like the most and I certainly respect your realiable level headed posting and I'm not trying to bash the Devils for lack of a following other than trying to link it to the style of play and how three cups in 10 yrs still didn't give them anything near the sort of fanbase boost it would under normal circumstances.

The Nets also struggled but they had Kidd have ONE monster year and while they were fun to watch it was hardly comparable to get out of a very medoicre east 2 yrs in a row in which they lost both times.By the time Vince Carter came aboard they were a very mediocre bunch that was destined to move to BKLYN so how many people from NJ would invest the time on a team that is bolting on their home state? Answer enough for you Lou?

And what are you talking about true colors?

I think pretty much each and every poster that's been here awhile knows how I feel and I think all would agree that I'm not one to hide my true feeling on any subject here.

Has anybody ever had any doubt or felt I made any bones about absolutely despising Marty first of all and the Devils and their style?

I think not.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
For those of you just tuning in, here's what you've missed:

NYR FAN: Marty's an arrogant jerk.

NJD FAN: He's not being a jerk.

NYR FAN: Yes he is. And he was mean to Messier.

NJD FAN: Was not.

NYR FAN: Was too.

NJD FAN: Oh yeah? Well we beat you in the playoffs.

NYR FAN: Well you never beat Richter.

NJD FAN: So, we won three cups since 94.

NYR FAN: Never beat Richter.

NJD FAN: So, Brodeur will have more wins than anybody when all's said and done. And that includes Richter. Oh, and Mike Emerick is God.

NYR FAN: Mike Emerick sucks.

NJD FAN: You suck.

NYR FAN: No, you suck. And so does Marty's book.

NJD FAN: What are you jealous?

NYR FAN: Of what? A team that nobody goes to see?

NJD FAN: Must be jealous if you start threads like this.

NYR FAN: No, you're jealous because our team is still more popluar than your team

NJD FAN: What about Bill Clin... [DELETED BY MODERATOR]

NYR FAN: [DELETED BY MODERATOR] Oh, and the Nets suck too.

Now that you're up-to-date, we know return you to your regularly scheuduled NYR-NJD thread.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-26-2006 at 05:24 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Hahahahahahahaha. The Bill Clinton part was pretty great.

Old
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 09-26-2006 at 02:25 PM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

NYR FAN: Was too. Oh yeah? Well we beat you in the playoffs.

NJD FAN: So, Brodeur will have more wins than anybody when all's said and done. And that includes Richter. Oh, and Mike Emerick is God.

NYR FAN: No, you're jealous because our team is still more popluar than your team

Now that you're up-to-date, we know return you to your regularly scheuduled NYR-NJD thread.

Didn't mean to start such a huge fuss about the whole root of the rivalry. All's I wanted to know was if Brodeur saying Jagr pouts was shot at him or not. All said and done though, I'm glad this thread brought one of the best posts I've ever read here, and no I'm not kissing up.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The reason the Devils/Nets teams will always do poorly in the attendence is because despite their pedigree of success they have major identity issues. Devil hardcore fans themselves don't have issues, but the franchise does.

They will NEVER be able to compete with the Rangers and Knicks for market share, popularity, respect etc whatever you want to call it.

They move as close to NEW YORK CITY as they possibly can to try to squeeze some extra fans out of the NY population, but they are not a NY team. They secretly want to be, or at least want to share in the benefits of being a NY team without actually being one and it doesn't really work. The team ends up, even when successful, as a second thought at best on sports fans radar.

New Jersey is a beautiful State. Most of it anyways. Why when they have this whole state to build a a new arena would they of all places pick Newark?

Without the Rangers and Flyer fans the Devils would have even worse attendence records and even less press. Those two rivalries likely play a huge part in the team finances. The Devils NEED the Rangers and Flyers to exist. The Rangers and Flyers DON'T need the Devils and right there is the BIG CHIP on the franchise shoulder.

I think in part this unstated dependency helps fuel the NJD battle cry and comments like Marty's. He could win 10 cups and still he will be haunted by Messier and Richters status in the NY hockey community because his team is a pretend NY team.

Now look..Messier and Richter retire and out of no where the Rangers have a ressurected Jaromir Jagr and Henrik Lundqvist.

Lundqvist is already a bigger star in NY hockey than Broduer.

But we know that doesn't bother Marty. Not a guy who writes books about himself before his career is even over.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Skroob*

Quote:

you forgot the part where Marty cheats on his wife with his sister-in-law.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Edge

Am I missing something?

I just don't really see the big deal about the comments.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Fletch

Jon...

there are Nets and Devils bandwagoners - unfortunately, not all of them find it convenient to trek out to the Meadowlands for a game. We here in the City are used to getting to places via taxi, train, bus, etc. Driving into work so we can leave to go to the Meadowlands after work, so sit in crosstown traffic, then tunnel traffic, then turnpike traffic? Doesn't sound like fun (I know there are those that do drive to Rangers/Knicks game, but I think the vast majority use mass transportation/walk).

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Nets' fan base when they come to Brooklyn. It will be somewhat dependent on how the Nets are doing, but in general, the crowds should be pretty good and it's a pretty easy place to get to from wherever you are.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Fletch

Great recap...

SBoB by the way - I think you hit most of the major points.

Old
09-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Fletch -- If there are, I certainly haven't seen them! I live in Monmouth County and I hardly ever see Devils jersies around. The only time I EVER see them is during the playoffs. Yet I certainly see Rangers jersies around quite often.

Old
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Fletch

Ten years ago...

I never saw a Devils hat or jersey in the City - I've seen a few recently and I've spoken with more Devils fans (of course it's tough to find anybody wearing a hockey jersey in NYC). Further, there are more Devils fans revently at Rangers game than there had been in previous seasons. Maybe it's the softness of the Garden crowd these days, but I think it's indicative of increased fans (along with increased people from Jersey in NYC, as well as the easy access from Hoboken, Jersey City, etc.). Tough thing to measure in numbers, but I think the base has grown.

Old
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad! Is there anything good that will come out of this thread?Honestly. You like the Devils for X reason ok well I like the Rangers for X reason and your wrong for your reasons. No you are, no you are, blah blah blah, do we need more of these threads? Sometimes I think there is more passion about the rivalry on these boards then there is on the ice, in fact I know there is. Dont mind me, I know this wont solve anything and it will probably be closed like the billion other pissing matches but I had to voice my opinion. Flame on

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

SBOB's post about sums up my feelings in a much more comical manor, darn you and you wit!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:

Pretty much exactly.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
You mean using more than one phrase to describe the actions of the players? HOW DARE HE!!

Gary Thorne can't pronounce most players names!!

Huselius (Hyoo-seh-lee-us) = "Useless"?
Tverdovsky (Teh-ver-dov-skee) = "TeverdoRsky"?
Poti (Poh-tee) = "Potty"?

That's a pretty large part of the job. During the 95 lockout ESPN had Thorne at a Baby Sens game. His roster sheet had a typo and he called Pavol Demitra "Edmirata" for 2 1/2 periods.

Thorne yells much more than Emrick and spends less time on the actual play of the game than conversing with Melrose or Pang or whoever else is with him in the box.

If you want to compare Sam with Emrick, that's fine. They're both great at what they do. Also, I'll take JD over Chico any day of the millenium. But to say that Gary Thorne is better than Doc is just sad and misinformed.
He screws up players names, yes, he does. Emrick doesn't?

Emrick doesn't go off into tangents and completely lose track of the play? Because watching Emrick, you don't know what the hell is going on most of the time.

I think I could stand someone screwing up a name compared to completely losing the play, and screaming his head off when it's unnecessary.

Give me a break.

Quote:
Man, the hatred some of you show towards anything associated with the Devils is quite amusing.

And by the way, Puddy is right, like him or not - and no idea why you wouldn't except because he is the Devils PBP man - Emerick is considered America's top play by play man.
Hatred?

Did I not proclaim in this thread and others that I like Brodeur?

Just because Emrick isn't America's top-play by play man means I hate anything associated with the Devils? Because his voice is intolerable to most normal human beings who haven't put themselves through listening to him for how many years, means that I hate everything associated to the Devils? Because he loses track of how many plays, and if you're only listening, you can't keep track of a game with him doing play-by-play, means I hate everything associated with the Devils?

No, wrong. I don't like them, I think everyone knows this, but me calling you two out for making such a TERRIBLY homerish statement is not due to my bias against the Devils. It's due to the fact that he just is NOT THAT GOOD at play-by-play. I've had center ice for the past few seasons, and there guys that are WORLDS better than him. Bob Miller, Jim Hughson, John Davidson, Sam Rosen, hell, I'd rather watch Phoenix and deal with Curt Keilback. Even though he sounds like he belongs over here at Belmont Racetrack or Yonkers Raceway, he sticks with the play a hell of a lot better than Emrick does.

Ok. From one ridiculous statement to another, things never seem to change. The hypocricy on these boards is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Isn't it? Any time you see someone singing the praises of Gary Thorne as a play-by-play man, you know there's either serious bias, hatred, or mind altering drugs involved. I feel 10x stupider having read all the way through this thread.
Then why did you read through it?

Wouldn't that be pointless?

I wonder what "serious bias," "hatred," or "mind-altering drugs" were involved with your decision to do so.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
He screws up players names, yes, he does. Emrick doesn't?
Emrick doesn't go off into tangents and completely lose track of the play? Because watching Emrick, you don't know what the hell is going on most of the time.

I think I could stand someone screwing up a name compared to completely losing the play, and screaming his head off when it's unnecessary.

Give me a break.

I wonder what "serious bias," "hatred," or "mind-altering drugs" were involved with your decision to do so.

No, wrong. I don't like them, I think everyone knows this, but me calling you two out for making such a TERRIBLY homerish statement is not due to my bias against the Devils. It's due to the fact that he just is NOT THAT GOOD at play-by-play. .

Emrick RARELY mispronounces a players name. So much so that the NHL has him write their official pronounciation guide.

Homerish statements usually don't commend the opposition (as I did with Sam and JD).

I've said it before that Sam and JD were THE BEST broadcast tandum. Bar none. I just disagree with Gary Thorne getting more credit than Emrick in any capacity.

As for Doc going off on tangents, I'm suprised nobody pointed out that he might just be trying to save himself from the "boredom of Devils hockey".

Last edited by Heat McManus: 09-27-2006 at 12:21 PM. Reason: condensing posts
Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
As for Doc going off on tangents, I'm suprised nobody pointed out that he might just be trying to save himself from the "boredom of Devils hockey".
Yes but an announcer supposedly must stay with the play constantly, for watching what's going on isn't enough.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote