HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staios extension?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 08:17 PM
mbam99

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Did Staios sign an extension?

I was watching the game tonight on a Chicago feed, and they started talking about how the players like to play in Edmonton and how even though they have lost some big name players, some key players have signed extensions. They noted that Moreau had signed long term and that Staios has as well. They talked for a good 30 seconds about his extension that he signed....Anyone else heard this? Or watched the Chicago Fox feed and heard the same thing?

Old
11-19-2003, 02:32 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
I was watching the game tonight on a Chicago feed, and they started talking about how the players like to play in Edmonton and how even though they have lost some big name players, some key players have signed extensions. They noted that Moreau had signed long term and that Staios has as well. They talked for a good 30 seconds about his extension that he signed....Anyone else heard this? Or watched the Chicago Fox feed and heard the same thing?
I'm pretty sure they were smokin' something at the time; I believe Staios remains unsigned for next year.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Bohologo

maybe not

Looks like Staios has an extension-three more years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/main.asp

Old
11-19-2003, 08:01 AM
windowlicker

3 years at 7.05 million..

Oh boy.... KLowe again i must

Old
11-19-2003, 08:07 AM
speeds

that's a decent chunk of change, but I'm impressed that they could get him signed, I really didn't think they'd get it done without Staois wanting to stay here, and obviously he does.

I like Staois a ton more now tht I did 10 minutes ago.

Great job Lowe, it's a lot for EDM but if he continues to play as a top 4 guy that's not bad at all.

That eats up a lot of Salo's money though, don't see him coming back next year with his options now, though Lowe is continuing to surprise me this year so who knows?

D is starting to get a bit pricey though, next year, with Smith/Staois/Brewer all set to make 2.3 mil or more.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:10 AM
oildrop

This is just great news. Lowe is on fire I don't see why he should stop now. It would make my year if Lowe announced a trade involving Comrie during that Press Conference that is supposed to take place today.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Digger12

Excellent.

IMO this is just as much a statement as the Oates signing...one of our key guys giving up a year or two of UFA status to sign long term with the Oilers.

I can't help but think though that this begats the beginning of the end for Smith. I've always thought that the Oil could only afford to keep one of these guys, not both. Obviously the commitment's been shown to Staios. Where does Smith fit in?

Is Staios going to be our next captain? I wouldn't be surprised.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Excellent.

IMO this is just as much a statement as the Oates signing...one of our key guys giving up a year or two of UFA status to sign long term with the Oilers.

I can't help but think though that this begats the beginning of the end for Smith. I've always thought that the Oil could only afford to keep one of these guys, not both. Obviously the commitment's been shown to Staios. Where does Smith fit in?

Is Staios going to be our next captain? I wouldn't be surprised.
I think Smith might be given the same kind of offer - to sign a 'reasonable' deal for 2 or 3 more years. If he accepts, fine - he stays an Oiler (and captain) for a while yet. If he refuses, then Lowe will deal him.

(just my opinion, of course)

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I think Smith might be given the same kind of offer - to sign a 'reasonable' deal for 2 or 3 more years. If he accepts, fine - he stays an Oiler (and captain) for a while yet. If he refuses, then Lowe will deal him.

Bart
Bart,

Couldn't have said it any better. I think KLowe will make a similar if not identical offer to Smith. If Smith accepts (And I think he will, being the Captain and plus I think he has reached his ceiling in salary; He can go up what a few 100K more and that's it?)

If he does not accept, he's gonzo. Traded by the deadline.

I think he will sign. It's not an opportunity in salary increase like the Marchants (Whos probably really happy in lst place) or the Weights of the world.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:

Bart
Yeah that sounds alright and may work out OK. Amazing what a 20% rise in the Canadian peso and knowing that Salo's $4 million will be off the books next year can do. Good to see Staios in the fold and this is another message to Comrie. Guys who are REALLY COMMITTED to the program get rewarded - while guys who want to mess with the team to serve their own interests watch soaps all day on their own nickle.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:51 AM
theoil

Quote:

Bart
I agree completely. This is what Lowe has been trying to do since he got here. He did it with Smyth, then Moreau, and now Staios. If you want to be here this is what we can afford. If you don't let me know and we continue to build without you. Of course the prospect of the new CBA looms as a deterrent to mid-range UFA's but I think Lowe has identified his core of veterans that he wants to keep if they want to be here and the money is there to do it.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I agree completely. This is what Lowe has been trying to do since he got here. He did it with Smyth, then Moreau, and now Staios. If you want to be here this is what we can afford. If you don't let me know and we continue to build without you. Of course the prospect of the new CBA looms as a deterrent to mid-range UFA's but I think Lowe has identified his core of veterans that he wants to keep if they want to be here and the money is there to do it.
The way Moreau has started the season, does Lowe look like an even bigger genius re-structuring signing him long-term? Moreover, doesn't it make you love Ethan even more now for taking a paycut?

Kevin... you are learning. I just hope we can afford to keep you in a few years

Closed Thread