HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken ankle

Old
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
koh19

vCash: 500
Broken ankle

I was just wondering if one of you guys had already had a broken ankle because of hockey? I broke mine yesterday, it was the first game of the season. I need an operation and they have to put screws in( ). Does anyone have tips or exercices I can do to keep in shape? Cardio? I know there's not much I can do but maybe you can help...thanks a lot!

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
The doctors are going to give you a very detailed recovery plan. Follow it to the T if you want to make the best possible recovery that you can. Nothing prevents you from keeping the rest of your body in shape such as upper body and core where you can isolate the bad ankle out but stay off the other until cleared.

Many machines such as a rowing can be used as long as you do not engage the bad leg. Renting a wheel chair can provide you with huge cardio work. Crutches will also be putting you through your paces for strength. The risk with those and trying to get any cardio is falling...not good. If you can, a pool and pull bouy will give you lots of cardio. The bouys that are held in the legs to isolate to arm usage. One way to keep balance receptors in your remaining good ankle are single leg stands. You would want some sort of alternate support method so you are not touching down with the recovering ankle. A tall chair back, railing etc etc will work well.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote