HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Salo Eat Conkers Dust

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Just for the record I think Zim's posts are being blown a bit out of proportion. He's not mentioning anything that hasn't been said b4 he's just talking about a game plan from a standpoint of assuming the worst happens in the future re: Salo.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:36 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
saving ~$500,000 is bad management?
Getting rid of salo to save $500, 000 is bad management. Listen, getting rid of salo is not going to happen this year. We'll give him one last chance, and if he fails, we won't pick up his option, but if he plays as well as we all know he can, then we should keep him. To me, it's obvious that that is the best course of action. For the reasons already stated, there is nothing else that we can really do.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
I was asked to explain what I would do and so I responded. You will note that in my plan Salo doesn't go anywhere until step 3 and only after he has been given a shot at being #1 again. If Salo can beat out Conklin (step 2) I am happy and am willing to pay him his $3.9M, he stays and Conklin is the backup.

I have seen nothing that says when Salo would be back. Are we going to play Conklin every game until when? Valiquette should be given a shot against selected opposition, just like our opponents do when they play their 2nd stringer against us. Management has willing to play so far without a bonafide centre, I'm suggesting we find out just how desparate our goaltending situation is. We should be thankful that we have the opportunity this early in the season as opposed to later on, like after the trade deadline.
Yes that's true. None of us know when he'll be back.

It's very likely you will get your look at Vali if Conks gets fatigued, should Salo's return be pro-longed. But I would tend to call it giving the "current" starter a rest. And as a bonus we all will get a look at Vali. But unless Conks is coming off a "suck fest", Vali should only spell Ty off for one game. Like you said.....against a suitable opponent.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:47 PM
jadeddog

i know that conklin has only played 9 games so far and that does not constitute a proper sample for how well he could do over the long haul.... but even though the sample is small the numbers are very encouraging..... he is 6th in GAA (1.90) and ties for 2nd in save% (.938), he has also gone 5-2.... those arent good numbers, those are GREAT numbers.....

now im not saying that he should be number #1 over salo, but if this play continues for the next 5 games, 3 of which are against very good offensive teams (toronto, detroit and colorado), i think the oilers will then need to take a long look at conks at the #1 guy.... but thats a lot of 'ifs', only time will tell (though im corssing my fingers and hoping as having conks as #1 over salo would save the oil a TON of money next year)

Old
11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Oiler_Fan

Conklin has been the biggest plus for the Oilers over the last couple weeks. Is he a legitimate number one? I don't know, like many others have offered, it's probably to early to say.

The positives his play has brought to the club, though, are hard to argue against. The Oilers goaltending situation went from an impending disaster requiring a 911 repair, to something the club can take the "wait and see" approach to.

For Salo, it's may be both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, the pressure is lowered for him to perform and play hurt, on the other hand, he has a guy 5 years younger pressuring him for his job.

It will be interesting to see what happens

Old
11-20-2003, 01:39 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I see NOBODY in this conversation has mentioned Jeff Deslauriers. (sp).

When will he be ready for the NHL?
Can anybody see a Conklin-Deslaurier (maybe not in that order) goaltending duo for the Oil?

Old
11-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Allan

Not for a couple of years, at least. He's only 19.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:31 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
what do you think of doing something similair to the Dopita incident where we sign him to another team in Europe i.e.finnish or swedish elite league where they pay $1.1-1.3million to have him for a year as their keeper so were only on the hook for $2.8 to $2.6million. Tommy still has celebrity status over there and did win a gold medal is it that far fetched?
Since here even the absolute top players are paid less than a fifth of what you're suggesting, that is beyond far fetched, that's impossible. Some teams in the Russian and Swiss leagues are able to pay salaries around $500.000, I guess, but none here in the Nordic countries. About half of the teams in SM-liiga pay less than $1.3M for all their players combined!

Salo has also never had a celebrity status in Finland. (In fact, I remember a lot of Finnish hockey fans wondering how the hell did Salo ever make it (in the NHL), he was so much worse than our goalies who didn't.)

I don't really know about the Dopita incident, but I'm sure no-one in Europe paid that kind of money for him.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Allan

They didn't assign Dopita to someone who paid part of his salary. He was bought out and released outright. He signed as a free agent with HC Olomouc later that season.

*edit*
I found a link:
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam021228/nhl_edm-cp.html

Old
11-20-2003, 05:12 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
Since here even the absolute top players are paid less than a fifth of what you're suggesting, that is beyond far fetched, that's impossible. Some teams in the Russian and Swiss leagues are able to pay salaries around $500.000, I guess, but none here in the Nordic countries. About half of the teams in SM-liiga pay less than $1.3M for all their players combined!

Salo has also never had a celebrity status in Finland. (In fact, I remember a lot of Finnish hockey fans wondering how the hell did Salo ever make it (in the NHL), he was so much worse than our goalies who didn't.)

I don't really know about the Dopita incident, but I'm sure no-one in Europe paid that kind of money for him.
Could that just be a tad of finnish jealousy towards their biggest rivals?

I mean, Salo and Forsberg were the only reasons Sweden won the gold in 1994, and Salo stood on his head the whole tournament.

Old
11-20-2003, 09:56 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Could that just be a tad of finnish jealousy towards their biggest rivals?

I mean, Salo and Forsberg were the only reasons Sweden won the gold in 1994, and Salo stood on his head the whole tournament.
Weell... maybe just a "tad" (whatever that means ;) Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered him to be a world class goalie. Then again, I don't catch too many NHL games...

He's not a celebrity here, anyway. They always (well, every time the Oilers are out of the Stanley Cup after the first round... ok, I'll stick with "always") interview him in the World Championships because of his Finnish roots, but he's not a celebrity.

Closed Thread