HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Esche sucks we need to trade up!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2006, 09:46 AM
  #51
Nacho
Special
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Greenland
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Martin Houle is the answer
Kinda looking for trouble, when you have a goalie wich has "hole" in his name...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
  #52
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,129
vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is why everyone needs to calm the hell down. All of these teams aren't going to carry 3 goalies...someone will be available, its just a matter of whether or not it will handcuff the team later on.

The fans need to have faith in Esche

he will pull his wieght enough till Nitti comes back

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
  #53
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
The fans need to have faith in Esche

he will pull his wieght enough till Nitti comes back
It's tough to have faith in a guy that has looked horrendous in training camp.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
  #54
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
It's tough to have faith in a guy that has looked horrendous in training camp.
training camp means absolute squat to me.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
  #55
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
training camp means absolute squat to me.
Somehow I figured we would have differing opinions per usual. It wouldn't mean that much to me if Esche didn't have such a horrible camp last year followed by a horrible start to the season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
  #56
sansan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Not really as worried about goaltending as I am about everything else. Esche will do fine as long as the players in front of him pull their weight. Goaltending is seriously overemphasized here.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
  #57
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Somehow I figured we would have differing opinions per usual. It wouldn't mean that much to me if Esche didn't have such a horrible camp last year followed by a horrible start to the season.
lotta goalies start out slow... much like pitchers. as nice as our usual hot starts to the season are, i've stopped caring all that much how we do in the first 20 or so games as, in the end, it doesn't really matter.

if whoever is in goal the majority of the games gets us to the .910 area, i'll be a happy camper.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
  #58
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
lotta goalies start out slow... much like pitchers. as nice as our usual hot starts to the season are, i've stopped caring all that much how we do in the first 20 or so games as, in the end, it doesn't really matter.

if whoever is in goal the majority of the games gets us to the .910 area, i'll be a happy camper.
In the end it does matter, just look at the Phils. If they had even a decent start they'd have the wild card locked up. A one point differential can cost you a higher seed, home ice advantage, etc.

I guess you are prepared to not be a happy camper since Esche has only once been over .910 in his entire NHL career.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
  #59
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
In the end it does matter, just look at the Phils. If they had even a decent start they'd have the wild card locked up. A one point differential can cost you a higher seed, home ice advantage, etc.

I guess you are prepared to not be a happy camper since Esche has only once been over .910 in his entire NHL career.
can't really look at it that way... plus, less of an issue in hockey where it's much easier to get into the playoffs and then do damage as you can (edmonton). part of the reason the Wild Card has done so well in baseball is that it's usually a team that is hot coming in... not someone that beat the crap out of everyone from the outset (yankees tend to do that). you win your alotted number of games and hope for the bet... everything else is wishful thinking.

Esche needs to play better this year and our PK needs to improve in order to get him to the .910 range. I wanted Nitty to have a real shot at the job this year, that's certainly been complicated.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
  #60
penguinonapole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg View Post
It's the quality of goals Esche lets in that drives people nuts. The same thing with Beezer and Checkmanek in the playoffs. Goo dnumbers on paper, but crap in real life
I disagree. Nitty after the olympic break has let in some easy goals. Nitty has a weakness, it is challenging the shooters and topshelf. Nitty when he challenges is very good, but i havent seen him be able to fix his top shelf issues. Esche as we all know is poor with rebounds. He has played decent toward the end of last season, great in the first game of the play-offs and average in the rest of play-offs.

I say Esche and Nitty are about even. Lets stop pretending Nitty has outplayed esche, they are both average goaltenders right now. That's why we have a goalie controversy. I dont think Nitty getting injured really changes much. Besides the fact we will probally get a below average experienced backup until Nittymakki gets healthy. Unless Esche is playing outstanding, the goalie controversy returns, when Nitty returns.


Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Seriously, everyone who starts to say "I dont know, I think Houle can do well" need to remember the fact that every time we get a new goalie rub we say this and he winds up being a Hackett, Burke, Esche, Nitty, Chechmanek, Boucher...

Houle sucks. He's not Harding, Price, Howard, Schneider, Pogge, Rask, or ANYONE we should be comfortable with. He's junk that probably would never have a spot on this team less we traded both Nitty and Esche for a REAL starter and brought him up as a back-up that might play like 15-20 games, if that.

Yeah yeah, in 2-3 years you'll see...right. I want this city to bring in a RIGHT NOW goalie. Just because we're coping with the fact that Nitty got hurt doesnt mean we have to kid ourselves and say that playing Houle is "ok". It's not, sorry.

Phew, had to rant.

Truth is we dont know if Houle is good or bad. He has played pretty well in the AHL. I would like to see him develop more there. To say he sucks, i think is way too harsh... We are not going to get a "Stud" goalie, or even a starting one. We will probally get another average goalie, who is probally no better than esche.

Everyone calm down. The fact we have average goaltending shouldnt surprise anyone. neither should the fact Esche is starting, he very well could have won the starting job anyway. Just relax, Lets wait till the season starts and see how Esche plays. If he plays poorly, we have every right to criticize him.


Last edited by penguinonapole: 09-28-2006 at 04:25 PM.
penguinonapole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
  #61
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Seriously, everyone who starts to say "I dont know, I think Houle can do well" need to remember the fact that every time we get a new goalie rub we say this and he winds up being a Hackett, Burke, Esche, Nitty, Chechmanek, Boucher...

Houle sucks. He's not Harding, Price, Howard, Schneider, Pogge, Rask, or ANYONE we should be comfortable with. He's junk that probably would never have a spot on this team less we traded both Nitty and Esche for a REAL starter and brought him up as a back-up that might play like 15-20 games, if that.

Yeah yeah, in 2-3 years you'll see...right. I want this city to bring in a RIGHT NOW goalie. Just because we're coping with the fact that Nitty got hurt doesnt mean we have to kid ourselves and say that playing Houle is "ok". It's not, sorry.

Phew, had to rant.
yeah because top goaltender prospects usually work out, and good goalies never come from the depths.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:41 PM
  #62
LePalle
Registered User
 
LePalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg View Post
Yes, Beezer's numbers looked good on paper, but he let in soft goals at critical points in the game on shots that he should be saving in the pre season, let alone in the playoffs
See, thats the difference between him and Esche. Esche makes critical saves at critical times. Its the team that lets him down, not the other way around.

LePalle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
  #63
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,375
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
yeah because top goaltender prospects usually work out, and good goalies never come from the depths.
I had to rant. Saying Houle sucks was a bit over the edge but if you didn't get the point i was trying to relay, well...

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:00 AM
  #64
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Clarke has stated that they need to acquire a bakcup goalie. Well we already have a backup in Esche A starter is needed. If anyone thinks Clarke is going to pull a big deal and get a front lien goalie your misguided. We all know Clarke doesn't think you need a stud goalie to win, if he did he would have addressed this issue in the past. I dont have a problem with Esche but he looks lost right now. I would love to get a front line starter then trade both nitty and esche.
Not going to happen. Expect the usual suspects for a backup.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.