HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

KTRS signal strength

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
KTRS signal strength

This is directed to anyone who listens to the Blues on the radio.

I thought when the Blues signed their deal with KTRS, part of the agreement was that the station would boost its signal at night to provide a bigger audience of listeners, with the Blues network there to help fill in where the boosted signal strength still didn't cover. So, here we are 4 years later and I still don't notice any change in the signal strength at night - if anything it seems like KTRS is cutting its signal back earlier than dusk (which is when they normally cut back).

This wouldn't really piss me off if I didn't want to listen to the pre-game and post-game comments, plus catch the observations from the other sports guys at KTRS....but sometimes between them and the callers you get new insights to what is going on....especially on Friday night when Chase and Kerber hook up with Melrose and Darren N. (can't spell his last name) and you can find out what's going on elsewhere around the league.

So, my questions three....
1. What station(s) do you generally listen to when you catch the Blues on radio?
2. Do you ever get to listen to KTRS? If so, when?
3. If KTRS did boost its signal strength so you could it up at night, would you listen more, less, or about the same?

11-19-2003, 06:28 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
How about listening on the Internet feed?

Old
11-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
How about listening on the Internet feed?
Did I ever mention that where I live, it's not the end of the earth but you can see it off in the distance?

(rant about horrible ISP's and the crappy phone company in my area omitted because of time restraints)

Old
11-19-2003, 08:14 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues

I thought when the Blues signed their deal with KTRS, part of the agreement was that the station would boost its signal at night to provide a bigger audience of listeners, with the Blues network there to help fill in where the boosted signal strength still didn't cover. So, here we are 4 years later and I still don't notice any change in the signal strength at night - if anything it seems like KTRS is cutting its signal back earlier than dusk (which is when they normally cut back).

This wouldn't really piss me off if I didn't want to listen to the pre-game and post-game comments, plus catch the observations from the other sports guys at KTRS....but sometimes between them and the callers you get new insights to what is going on....especially on Friday night when Chase and Kerber hook up with Melrose and Darren N. (can't spell his last name) and you can find out what's going on elsewhere around the league.

1. What station(s) do you generally listen to when you catch the Blues on radio?
3. If KTRS did boost its signal strength so you could it up at night, would you listen more, less, or about the same?
1. I always try to listen to it on ktrs. But being in IL, the radio signal gets really full of static as soon as dark hits. During the day its crystal clear. Most of the time i have to switch to 88.7 fm. ITs a SIUE radio station that broadcasts the game. The only downfall is it wont play the advertisements on ktrs(not only the commercials, but kerber and chase's announcements). So everytime they switch to their own commercials, only to come back late in the middle of play. So everytime their is a stoppage in play, you miss a little of the game. And their is no post game show.

2. KTRS is one of the stations i listen to game or not. When? It depends whats on and whats on the other stations(FM or AM). I listen to Frank O'pinion most afternoons when traveling to work and back.

3. I would definately listen more.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Zeta16

I live in Ohio and wish it was on KMOX still because I could listen to all of the games at night here on my own radio. The Internet feed from the station hardly ever works for me, so I listen to the games on NHL.com.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Plager05

There Blues are covered by about 6 or 7 stations since KTRS is kind of weak, they are probably listed somewhere on the Blues website.

Old
11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05
There Blues are covered by about 6 or 7 stations since KTRS is kind of weak, they are probably listed somewhere on the Blues website.
You're right:

St. Louis Blues Radio Network

Missouri

Cape Girardeau KGIR-AM 1220
Columbia KTGR-AM 1580
Montgomery City KMCR-FM 103.9
Osage Beach KRMS-AM 1150
Park Hills KDBB-FM 104.3
Perryville KBDZ-FM 93.1
Poplar Bluff KWOC-AM 930
Salem KSMO-AM 1340
Sikeston KRHW-AM 1520
St. Louis KTRS-AM 550
Sullivan KTUI-FM 100.9
Washington KSLQ-FM 104.5
Waynesville KFBD-FM 97.9

Illinois

Carlyle WCXO-FM 96.7
Edwardsville WSIE-FM 88.7
Mount Vernon WMIX-AM 940
Pittsfield WBBA-FM 97.5
Quincy WGEM-FM 105.1
Sparta WHCO-AM 1230

Old
11-19-2003, 08:35 PM
dirt

I usually listen on KSLQ out of Washington for that great FM sound. Blues hockey and Frank O. Pinion are really the only reasons to listen to KTRS.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:29 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Did I ever mention that where I live, it's not the end of the earth but you can see it off in the distance?

(rant about horrible ISP's and the crappy phone company in my area omitted because of time restraints)
Do you work for ktrs Ib. Because its uncanny how the signal was strong all through the game for the first time. After you asked those wuestions.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Do you work for ktrs Ib. Because its uncanny how the signal was strong all through the game for the first time. After you asked those wuestions.
No, I don't work for KTRS.....although I'm starting a campaign to be a guest on Frank's show.

My beef with listening to the other stations (namely, Mt. Vernon and Carlyle) is that it's no guarantee those stations will actually carry the Blues game. Last season Mt. Vernon didn't carry at least 10 games, Carlyle missed almost as many and there were more than a few nights where neither station carried the Blues game...so I had to wait until the next day to find out what happened the night before.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Jamie-L

Quote:

Why do radio stations cut back their signal after Dusk anyways?

Old
11-21-2003, 06:54 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-L
Why do radio stations cut back their signal after Dusk anyways?
FCC Regulations.

Closed Thread