HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cloutier Signs 2 Year Extension

Old
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
nikolai19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Horrible.
OMG!

Garon has to be gone. I don't see how we are going to have over $4 million on our payroll in goaltenders.

Bad deal for LA.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Osprey

This wouldn't bother me if it weren't for Garon. This almost assures Garon of never becoming the Kings' starting goaltender again, since $3.1M (Cloutier's salary) is not what you pay a backup.

Consider this...

Without the extension:
Cloutier tries hard this season to earn an extension.
Garon tries hard this season to unseat Cloutier for #1.

With the extension:
Cloutier has less incentive to earn anything, since he's not up for 3 years now.
Garon has no hope in L.A., so competing with Cloutier is useless.

Which of these two situations makes more sense? Which is likely to get the best out of both goalies? I'm most concerned that this is a slap in the face to Garon and something which will affect his drive. Lombardi told me months ago that he thinks that Garon will learn how to compete from Cloutier. What's to compete for when Cloutier has secured the #1 spot, and how would learning something from Cloutier help the Kings if he just bolts next Summer for a team that appreciates him more?

I agree with Guz that it seems a little absurd to second-guess professionals who get paid to do this, but have you noticed that, when a majority of us plebes think that something is a bad idea, we're often right? Take the deadline deal last Spring or DT's talk of extending AM and VB's contracts, for example, or any of Wang's deals (DiPietro/Yashin). Guys in charge make mistakes all of the time. When an overwhelming majority of us plebes perceive something seriously wrong, it's often because it is.

Anyways, to wrap up, if it were Cloutier and only LaBarbera, I'd better-understand the necessity of locking up the former... but the Kings have the luxury of a very capable goalie in Garon and they appear to be just throwing that potential away. I sure hope that this isn't a precursor to trading Mathieu... but, then again, it might be best for him and his career to go somewhere where the #1 spot wouldn't be denied him if he earns it.

Last edited by Osprey: 09-27-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 04:56 PM
kingsfan25

You know, I was just thinking to myself, "The Kings have way too much cap room."

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
You know, I was just thinking to myself, "The Kings have way too much cap room."
Overall though adding the 2.5 to the 6.2 and take it over 3 years it goes to about 2.8 on the Cap Hit compared to 2.5. Overall not horrible. Even if it doesn't work that way the cap hit from 2.5 to 3.1 isn't awful it's only 600K more.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Overall though adding the 2.5 to the 6.2 and take it over 3 years it goes to about 2.8 on the Cap Hit compared to 2.5. Overall not horrible. Even if it doesn't work that way the cap hit from 2.5 to 3.1 isn't awful it's only 600K more.
You don't average the extension into this year - it's treated as a separate contract.

'06-07 cap hit: $2.5 million
'07-08 cap hit: $3.1 million
'08-09 cap hit: $3.1 million

09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
OMG!

Garon has to be gone. I don't see how we are going to have over $4 million on our payroll in goaltenders.

Bad deal for LA.
Hopefully not...I can see being willing to tie that much up in goaltending when your forward corps is so inexperienced. And if DL really doesn't see another top-sixer on the horizon, it's possible that he's decided to allocate most of the funds to the defensive end of the rink.

And, as Belanger25's figures indicated (btw, I wasn't that pissed off at the cap figure, B25...just looking to outlet more anger on the overall situation), the cap addition isn't all that significant and can be taken down to satisfactory limits through the trade of Labarbera.

However, it is entirely possible that DL plans to move Garon as well.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

lol, you gota be kidding me....

this is Cloutier we're talking about. I mean I know he's a character guy but... gime a break. This is just a freaking joke. I cant believe we have this clown for 3 years. Why don't we go pick up Cechmanek while we're out getting soft goalies.

Cloutier is one of the goalies where the UFA would hurt him more then help him. I'm willing to bet he would h ave been resigned on the open market for no mroe then $2 mil a year. Not to mention he's coming off an injury, this is so ridiclous. I can think of so many reasons not to do this, I can't even get over how stpuid this is.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Osprey

Looking at the list of users currently reading this forum and thread, we have a lot of visitors coming here to see if we think that this extension is as outrageous as they do.

BTW, Cloutier has got to be the only player in the league who played fewer than 15 games last season and got a raise for it.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Without the extension:
Cloutier tries hard this season to earn an extension.
Garon tries hard this season to unseat Cloutier for #1.

With the extension:
Cloutier has less incentive to earn anything, since he's not up for 3 years now.
Garon has no hope in L.A., so competing with Cloutier is useless.

Which of these two situations makes more sense? Which is likely to get the best out of both goalies? I'm most concerned that this is a slap in the face to Garon and something which will affect his drive. Lombardi told me months ago that he thinks that Garon will learn how to compete from Cloutier. What's to compete for when Cloutier has secured the #1 spot, and how would learning something from Cloutier help the Kings if he just bolts next Summer for a team that appreciates him more?
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. This extension makes absolutely not sense whatsoever from any standpoint possible. I honestly want to know what Dean was thinking when he offered this contract.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
I blame Face Wash for this
It is my fault... I'm the guy who supplied Cloutier with all those compromising pictures of Marc Crawford with those farm animals he has.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Venom_17

WHAT a ****ING JOKE!

This guy has done NOTHING in L.A.

The only reason I could stomach the Cloutier trade in the first place was because I kept telling myself that he would have a horrible year and then we would let him walk at the end of the season.

UNreal. I guess they are trying to give the guy a confidence vote.

The only potential possibility of optimism here is IF, somehow, Cloutier becomes a top goalie and then he will be underpaid for 2 years. NOT likely.

Brutal move, Lombardi.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
not tellin*

Finally some stability in this organ-eye-zation. I love it. Great job Lombardo

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
johnjm22

Considering Manny Legace got a 1 year $1M contract, I wonder what Cloutier would have got on the open market...

Even if Cloutier plays good for us the next 3 years (which I think he will) it's still a rotten deal because we could have extended his contract for cheaper.

Cloutier will have the 3rd highest cap hit of anyone on the team. That's just stupid.

And we just lost another draft pick.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
RightKinger

Someone has to be the stopgap until Bernier is ready so I'm not too mad about this. The only thing that makes me mad is the timing of this move. This could have waited until after this season or at least midseason when we would know if Cloutier deserves the extension or not. I agree with Osprey. I really thought Garon had a chance to steal the starting job from Cloutier but not anymore. Bad Move by Lombardi.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Matt13

The only way this makes sense is if there is a deal to move MG or JL to another team.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
The only way this makes sense is if there is a deal to move MG or JL to another team.
I think he is going to move Garon now.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:26 PM
riseandfall9

Honestly...Its not as bad as everyone thinks. I think 50 Percent give Cloutier a bad name because of the stupid helmet he wears..."It doesnt look cool." and another 20 percent give him a bad name because "The Lidstrom Shot." The other 30 percent are NHL GM`s Coaches and they think hes alright....Lets see what the guy can do with us before we get all upset about it...If he has 3, 30 WIN seasons then it would be worth it? Plus he`ll due until Bernier is ready.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
I somehow have trouble telling professionals at the highest levels of their business how stupid they are for making moves they are hired for. If Dean Lombardi started telling me how to run my studios I'd just laugh at him. There is going to be a bunch of crow eaten around here if things start to go well for the Kings.
By that logic, we could never criticize any move any GM ever made (see DiPietro, Rick).

I have no problem with Lombardi wanting to re-sign Cloutier, but it makes absolutely no sense to tie him up for an additional 2 years when he has played a grand total of 1 preseason game for you guys, and only played 8 games the prior season. And, what's even worse, is that he gave him a *raise*.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Mindcircus

The organization is obviously much higher on Danny boy than any fan in this world. Sounds like a stupid move, but hey maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Honestly...Its not as bad as everyone thinks. I think 50 Percent give Cloutier a bad name because of the stupid helmet he wears..."It doesnt look cool." and another 20 percent give him a bad name because "The Lidstrom Shot." The other 30 percent are NHL GM`s Coaches and they think hes alright....Lets see what the guy can do with us before we get all upset about it...If he has 3, 30 WIN seasons then it would be worth it? Plus he`ll due until Bernier is ready.
I just wanted to say I fully agree with this. Maybe not perfect percentiles but close. If he fails then lets complain, for now I think management has a little more knowledge then us.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt View Post
for now I think management has a little more knowledge then us.

I reject this fully.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:36 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
My first thought when I saw the thread was ha ha, very funny...

Second thought, Lombardi better have a deal in hand for Garon...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
I reject this fully.
I am not too happy about the raise either....But sometimes when you expect nothen from someone they give you everything mang D:.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I am not too happy about the raise either....But sometimes when you expect nothen from someone they give you everything mang D:.
This is Dan Cloutier.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Otto-Maddox

GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGALEY... anyone remember when we carried Hrudy and Fuhr. we lost zhitnik and Fhur took a walk at the end of the season to finish in St Louis.(well) Well this is just sightly less painful

Otto-Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote