HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Colorado - San Jose

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 12:08 PM
RoyIsALegend*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Colorado - San Jose

To Colorado: D Mike Rathje
To San Jose: D Martin Skoula, COL 2nd round pick, WSH 3rd round pick

San Jose is struggling and Rathje is their oldest defenseman at 29, who's also making $2.03 million this season. Skoula is 23 years old, making $1.1 million for another three years.

I'm not even sure if the Sharks would look into moving Rathje, but would this type of offer work if they were? Picking up an NHL capable, young defenseman who's signed cheap and long-term with two good draft picks.

The Avs would still have their own first round pick, Florida's second round pick and their own third round pick in terms of draft choices in the top three rounds.

Avs pairings after:

Rathje - Blake
Skrastins - Foote
Liles - Morris

Sharks pairings after:

Stuart - Hannan
McLaren - Preissing
Skoula - Ehrhoff
Davison

Thoughts? Be kind. <3

Old
11-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

San Jose is struggling and Rathje is their oldest defenseman at 29, who's also making $2.03 million this season. Skoula is 23 years old, making $1.1 million for another three years.

I'm not even sure if the Sharks would look into moving Rathje, but would this type of offer work if they were? Picking up an NHL capable, young defenseman who's signed cheap and long-term with two good draft picks.

The Avs would still have their own first round pick, Florida's second round pick and their own third round pick in terms of draft choices in the top three rounds.

Avs pairings after:

Rathje - Blake
Skrastins - Foote
Liles - Morris

Sharks pairings after:

Stuart - Hannan
McLaren - Preissing
Skoula - Ehrhoff
Davison

Thoughts? Be kind. <3
I don't see adding another 3rd pair defender to SJ's roster. Skoula has regressed in each of his last two years so why should SJ be interested. The picks offerred are of value but not to the extent that they would deal Rathje.

Bottom line if SJ decides to deal Rathje, they can do better (a lot better.)

Chomp, Chomp

Old
11-21-2003, 12:21 PM
hoserthehorrible

I think Colorado would be overpaying a bit from their perspective. Perhaps Rathje for Skoula and a pick but not Rathje for Skoula and 2 high picks. However, I don't see San Jose wanting to move Rathje for Skoula either so I doubt it'll happen.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible
I think Colorado would be overpaying a bit. Perhaps Rathje for Skoula and a pick but not Rathje for Skoula and 2 high picks.
You are either underrating Rathje or overrating Skoula, come on a #2 and #3 plus a 3rd pair defender for a #1 pair defender, its not gonna happen. Rathje is typically matched up against the other teams best line....

Lets ask the Toronto fans what they would give for a solid D-man.

Chomp, CHomp

Old
11-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack
You are either underrating Rathje or overrating Skoula, come on a #2 and #3 plus a 3rd pair defender for a #1 pair defender, its not gonna happen. Rathje is typically matched up against the other teams best line....

Chomp, CHomp
There is no doubt in my mind that Rathje is a better overall player than Skoula, but I have a tough time characterizing Rathje as a legitimate No. 1 or No. 2 defensemen in the NHL.

Perhaps he is on a team like San Jose or on the defensively challenged Leafs.

But on the upper echelon teams in the league, Rathje is no better than solid No. 3 or No. 4 defensemen. On the Avs, he is no better than a No. 4.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:28 PM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack

Chomp, CHomp
Colorado doesn't need Rathje that bad that they'll give up Skoula AND 2 high picks. There's no need for them to make that deal. Like I said, San Jose probably doesn't want to move Rathje for Skoula either which is why I said no deal for either.

What Toronto would give up for Rathje has absolutely no bearing on what Colorado would give up for him. None at all.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:31 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
On the Avs, he is no better than a No. 4.
well said. and dealing our #5 d-man, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder for a guy who would be our #4 defenseman isn't exactly a steal on the Avs part.

if that package doesn't work, how about Skoula, Florida's 2nd rounder, and Washington's 3rd rounder for Mike Rathje and Wayne Primeau???

Old
11-21-2003, 12:36 PM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
I like it. Can't stand Mike Slothje.

Old
11-21-2003, 12:37 PM
wazee

Nothing against Rathje, but the price is high and I think this trade would be a bit of an overkill for the Avs. Rathje is probably a solid #3...but Morris already occupies that spot. Skrastins is working out very well in the 4th spot. Even Skoula has been playing better of late...

I think the Avs need to add an experienced defenseman who can fill in if someone is hurt or Skoula or Liles falter in the playoffs. I think there will be a number of those available at the deadline for nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

Old
11-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
well said. and dealing our #5 d-man, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder for a guy who would be our #4 defenseman isn't exactly a steal on the Avs part.

if that package doesn't work, how about Skoula, Florida's 2nd rounder, and Washington's 3rd rounder for Mike Rathje and Wayne Primeau???
I cannot see SJ having any interest in Skoula except as a potential waiver wire claim.

Just because Rathje would be a #4 defender on Colorado (and actually I think he might be the #3) does not diminish the value he has with SJ. As a consequence the proposed offer of Rathje and Primeau (who has done well in SJ) for the package of Skoula and picks would not be of interest to SJ.

Chomp, Chomp

Old
11-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Avs pairings after:

Rathje - Blake
Skrastins - Foote
Liles - Morris

Sharks pairings after:

Stuart - Hannan
McLaren - Preissing
Skoula - Ehrhoff
Davison

Thoughts? Be kind. <3
How does Rathje earn this high a ranking?? MAYEE Skoula for Rathje....maybe

Old
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
How does Rathje earn this high a ranking?? MAYEE Skoula for Rathje....maybe
um, well, any idiot would trade Skoula for Rathje straight up if they could. but add the picks, that makes it fair. :p

Old
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
I think the Avs need to add an experienced defenseman who can fill in if someone is hurt or Skoula or Liles falter in the playoffs. I think there will be a number of those available at the deadline for nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick...
You mean Jon Klemm? :p

Old
11-21-2003, 02:00 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
nah, if anything, the sharks need someone who can make them win, not tie, a clutch player, not a defensman.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
nah, if anything, the sharks need someone who can make them win, not tie, a clutch player, not a defensman.
Exactly... and the sharks pipeline is still rather filled with defensemen as well. If Rat is moved, it would be nice to get a youngish scoring forward back, and there's probably more chance of that at the deadline as teams may be fighting for a solid defensive depth guy for the playoffs and willing to overpay.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
Nothing against Rathje, but the price is high and I think this trade would be a bit of an overkill for the Avs. Rathje is probably a solid #3...but Morris already occupies that spot. Skrastins is working out very well in the 4th spot. Even Skoula has been playing better of late...

Exactly, there's no need for the Avs to give up 2 high draft picks, and Skoula, for the type of talent that will be available for a lot less come March.

The Avs are at the top of the league now and have no need to make a deal to make the playoffs. They can use patience and pick up the talent they need when teams like San Jose realize they're out of the playoffs and start dumping players.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:43 PM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
If San Jose were to move Rathje to CO, the pairings would put Foote with Rathje, rather than with Blake.

Rathje's speed and size are what makes him a good defenseman, but he needs to be paired with another D-minded guy.

I could see SJ move Rathje, but the return would be a forward, not a d-man, as the main-prize.

SJ has been scoring lately, but a bonafied 2nd line winger would help us out, (considering the injuries).

Anyway, not likely to happen the way it was originally packaged.

Old
11-21-2003, 04:27 PM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
You mean Jon Klemm? :p
Yep! Except the Stars beat the Avs to the punch. Klemm is exactly the kind of defenseman the Avs will be looking for at the deadline...an UFA-to-be with most of his salary for this year already paid.

Klemm is a fine defenseman...as is deVries, for the matter. But neither are worth the money they got when they left Denver.

Closed Thread