HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we resign Ryder next year?

Old
09-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Can we resign Ryder next year?

after taking lower end of the salary this year, I'm sure Ryder has very good chance of getting $3 Milion contract if he goes to arbitration next year, and at the same time we'll be looking to replace or resign our top three defencemenm.

Right now we have around $6.5 million dedicated to our top three defencemen, but as harsh as it sound it will require anything around $5 Million each to acquire or resign top two defencemen, and maybe around $3 million for third defencemen, so that will almost double our payroll dedicated to blueliners...

and considering we'r way close to the salary cap and most of big contracts aren't due up until two more years, we might end up with horrendous defence or even worse lose some players because we can't match arbitration offer....

So should BG make next years move this year, Ryder is very good player but with so many youngsters comingup and obvious lack of future depth on defence leads to only one logical solution and that is to ship anyone of Souray, Rivet along with Ryder to get more young defencemen into the system, that will command lower end salary and be more manageble...

As some people will mentioan we have some prospects already in AHL but most of them require atleast two years of development and even after that its not easy to takeup top four blueliner duties, not to mention none of them are expected to be top four material...

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Evil Ted

This all depends on his performence this season, who knows by the end of the season Ryder could be traded, management would have locked him up longterm already if they think he can be a perenial 30 goal scorer, obviously there is a reason Gainey and co havent made a long term deal with this guy.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:33 AM
David_99

I know Sammy can't be traded this year as it would give us a bad rep when it comes to UFA, but let's say next year we have Lats and Kosty up with the team and perform better them Sergei, which pushes him down to the 3rd/4th line, would we then be given the grace to trade him? I'm just thinking, his 3.5 mil salary is pretty substantial. If he performs well this year, great! If not, can we be off the hook next year if a deal comes along?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
McTusk

The salary cap is a funny thing. At this point, as a fan, I just try not to worry about it, the chips will fall where they may and we'll have to live with it, it's out of our control, and every team will have to start making harder and harder decisions.
Who knows, it could go up next year too, we'll have to see how certain players develop, forcing those decisions as well, there's a lot of variables that we can't worry about until the actual moment that said decisions will have to be made.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Habs4ever

its always bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I know Sammy can't be traded this year as it would give us a bad rep when it comes to UFA, but let's say next year we have Lats and Kosty up with the team and perform better them Sergei, which pushes him down to the 3rd/4th line, would we then be given the grace to trade him? I'm just thinking, his 3.5 mil salary is pretty substantial. If he performs well this year, great! If not, can we be off the hook next year if a deal comes along?
thing if you plan to trade your liabilities, why would anybody take sammy contract if he fails here.

Habs will also be desperate for blueline help from free agency market if they lose any of markov, rivet, souray.

Sammy even signed for less to come here, so the whole question of loyalty comes into the eqauation, and we might not get very good offer next year if we put sammy into trash...

Old
09-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Habs4ever

Salary cap is funny thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
The salary cap is a funny thing. At this point, as a fan, I just try not to worry about it, the chips will fall where they may and we'll have to live with it, it's out of our control, and every team will have to start making harder and harder decisions.
Who knows, it could go up next year too, we'll have to see how certain players develop, forcing those decisions as well, there's a lot of variables that we can't worry about until the actual moment that said decisions will have to be made.

but we need to be top of the rules, its always good if our rivals get screwed by the new rules, but it will hurt dearly if we don't make any moves to prepare for next year...

Many people are expecting this team to get better, but I can't see that happenning if we lose top two defencemen next year...

Old
09-30-2006, 09:55 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
thing if you plan to trade your liabilities, why would anybody take sammy contract if he fails here.

Habs will also be desperate for blueline help from free agency market if they lose any of markov, rivet, souray.

Sammy even signed for less to come here, so the whole question of loyalty comes into the eqauation, and we might not get very good offer next year if we put sammy into trash...
Well let's say, though probably unlikely, Kosty is head and sholders above Sammy, even though Sammy does pretty well. Though still good, he may become obsolete here and another team might think he's a perfect fit for them (I know, a lot of ifs). I just think it would be a shame if we have a 3.5 mil player on the 4th line. It's hard to think Kosty can break out when Higgins, Lats and Sammy eat up a lot of ice time.

Oh well, I guess it could be a good problem as much as a bad one.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Habs4ever

but reality is

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Well let's say, though probably unlikely, Kosty is head and sholders above Sammy, even though Sammy does pretty well. Though still good, he may become obsolete here and another team might think he's a perfect fit for them (I know, a lot of ifs). I just think it would be a shame if we have a 3.5 mil player on the 4th line. It's hard to think Kosty can break out when Higgins, Lats and Sammy eat up a lot of ice time.

Oh well, I guess it could be a good problem as much as a bad one.
we just acquired travesty highlighting major problems on defence we've already got major problems even before losing any of markov, rivet, souray...

And Ryder might have the best value right now as his contract looks reasonable and he's young, so I see him getting us the best value in defence this year, next year whole game might change depending on individuals performance but this year Ryder looks like best potential asset that could get us very good defencemen...

Old
09-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Marksman

A lot can happen before next summer, but I think we can keep Ryder.

If Habs sign him, it will be after his 3rd year and this time likely on long term contract, with moderate raise after his salary was brought close to par last summer.

Main moves should be re-signing Markov (4.5M?) and propably Rivet (3.0M?) then looking for someone more affordable and durable to fill in Souray. Then re-signing our RFAs, as Higgins Komisarek and Plekanec with most notable raises.

Habs will more than likely substitute Bonk Downey, Aebischer and possibly Johnson too, with their own young players, like Kostitsyn Lapierre Ferland Chipchura and Danis. This would save some money for our defence budget.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 11:23 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
A lot can happen before next summer, but I think we can keep Ryder.

If Habs sign him, it will be after his 3rd year and this time likely on long term contract, with moderate raise after his salary was brought close to par last summer.

Main moves should be re-signing Markov (4.5M?) and propably Rivet (3.0M?) then looking for someone more affordable and durable to fill in Souray. Then re-signing our RFAs, as Higgins Komisarek and Plekanec with most notable raises.

Habs will more than likely substitute Bonk Downey, Aebischer and possibly Johnson too, with their own young players, like Kostitsyn Lapierre Ferland Chipchura and Danis. This would save some money for our defence budget.

That is an excellent point Danis Chipchura and Lapierre should save the Canadiens at least a few million next season.

Markov if he continues to improve will require at least 4.5 mill. If Rivet would like to remain a Hab I would be suprised if he was give a contract larger than 2.5 million, I am aware of his leadership qualities but unless he puts up a solid +/- number this year and 35+ points he just can not have that kind of cap hit!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Pascal

3M for rivet? no way. He's a decent 4-5th dman, nothing more. Any tough guy with a decent amount of skill could replace him.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
after taking lower end of the salary this year, I'm sure Ryder has very good chance of getting $3 Milion contract if he goes to arbitration next year, and at the same time we'll be looking to replace or resign our top three defencemenm.

Right now we have around $6.5 million dedicated to our top three defencemen, but as harsh as it sound it will require anything around $5 Million each to acquire or resign top two defencemen, and maybe around $3 million for third defencemen, so that will almost double our payroll dedicated to blueliners...

and considering we'r way close to the salary cap and most of big contracts aren't due up until two more years, we might end up with horrendous defence or even worse lose some players because we can't match arbitration offer....

So should BG make next years move this year, Ryder is very good player but with so many youngsters comingup and obvious lack of future depth on defence leads to only one logical solution and that is to ship anyone of Souray, Rivet along with Ryder to get more young defencemen into the system, that will command lower end salary and be more manageble...

As some people will mentioan we have some prospects already in AHL but most of them require atleast two years of development and even after that its not easy to takeup top four blueliner duties, not to mention none of them are expected to be top four material...

You know, the thing is that higgins scored the same amount of points that bergeron got in his rookie season.

If higgins comes anywhere close the bergeron's output of 70+ points this season..... lets say higgins gets about 60 playing with koivu. You can only imagine how much money he is going to command. not as much as bergeron but not that far from that figure either.

Lets say ryder has a similar output, he will also ask for the same kind of money.

Its going to be tough chewing all this salary with forwards when we have 3 UFA d-men to deal with. I'm already thinking this is souray's last season in Montreal. That leaves an important position to fill on the back end as well.

Anyways, this end of season talk. Lets enjoy this season first

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
3M for rivet? no way. He's a decent 4-5th dman, nothing more. Any tough guy with a decent amount of skill could replace him.
Could you give us some examples, what is available?

30+ point defencemen, rugged enough to play full season 22-23 minutes per night?

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 03:37 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Could you give us some examples, what is available?
Mark Streit.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote