HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What chances would the Leafs had against the Red Wings in the 02 Finals?

Old
05-23-2013, 12:28 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

vCash: 500
What chances would the Leafs had against the Red Wings in the 02 Finals?

If the 2002 Stanley Cup Final was Toronto vs Detroit and not Carolina vs Detroit, what chances do you think the Leafs would have had? I'm sure most people would pick Detroit based on their roster that season. However if anyone forgot that season in the two games the Leafs and Red Wings played against each other in the regular season was tied 1-1, plus that season Toronto finished 4th in the Eastern Conference with 100 points and were only 1 point behind Boston for 1st in the Eastern Conference. So it's not like Toronto would have been a 7th or 8th place team that just made the playoffs that season and etc.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 AM
ozzie

Detroit tears them apart, I don't think the Leafs would have matched up well against them. Just to much depth and star power.

However in 93 I think the Leafs would have beaten the Canadiens, but thats another story.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:09 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Detroit tears them apart, I don't think the Leafs would have matched up well against them. Just to much depth and star power.

However in 93 I think the Leafs would have beaten the Canadiens, but thats another story.
2002 Leafs would have been torn apart by the 2002 Wings. And it would have been an EPIC series. The only thing that makes Toronto blowing their game 7 lead to Boston this year acceptable (in the Detroit vs Toronto Finals sense) is that Boston is my Cup pick. and it doesn't work if they are eliminated in the first round.

Mentioning 93... what happens if Yzerman's wrist isn't injured? Detroit surely wins that series, but how far do they go?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:25 AM
yave1964
22 and counting

Wings would have shredded them like swiss cheese. It would have been a sweep of biblical proportions. Toronto would have had as much of a chance as Custer at the little big horn. There were maybe five guys on the entire leaf roster who would have been able to have played on the Wings that year.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
tony d
Whatareyousmiling at

That Toronto team played with a lot of heart that playoff season. That said noone was getting past Detroit that year.

05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Big Phil

It definitely isn't a sweep. The Hurricanes lost to them in 5 games. Game 3 also went to triple overtime before Detroit took a 2-1 series lead. So while the Wings eventually came around, they didn't shoot out of the gate against Carolina. Now, I know Carolina beat Toronto that year, but those games were in overtime in that series and a bounce the other way and the Leafs are in full control. For whatever reason the Leafs looked past this Carolina series and didn't play up to their potential.

I get the feeling had they played to their potential they'd have beaten Carolina and taken the Wings to 6 games. But this is all mere speculation.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Stephen

If the Leafs had gotten that far it would have been interesting to have seen what lengths Roberts and Tucker would have gone to try and even the playing field...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Kyle McMahon

This is one of those rare moments where I feel the Leafs aren't getting enough credit. Detroit beat Carolina in a pretty close 5-game series. They probably would have done the same thing to the Leafs. There wasn't much separating the Hurricanes and Leafs in the EC Final.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Cyborg Yzerberg
Bring on McAvoy

vCash: 50
What if it ended up being Colorado vs. Toronto? I think Colorado would have probably won their second in a row in this scenario.

Cyborg Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If the Leafs had gotten that far it would have been interesting to have seen what lengths Roberts and Tucker would have gone to try and even the playing field...
Hmm. Detroit had Shanahan, McCarty, Chelios, and Fischer. They certainly weren't free of heavy hitters.

I'd have loved to see Fischer pound the stuffing out of Tucker.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
silkyjohnson50

The two best teams that season played in the Western Conference Finals. I think many people knew that heading into the Conference Finals.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
What if it ended up being Colorado vs. Toronto? I think Colorado would have probably won their second in a row in this scenario.
No doubt. The WC Final was the true Stanley Cup final that year. The whole Roy statue of liberty play and Game 7 implosion may as well have been with the Cup in the building.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Leafs would have lost.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Hmm. Detroit had Shanahan, McCarty, Chelios, and Fischer. They certainly weren't free of heavy hitters.

I'd have loved to see Fischer pound the stuffing out of Tucker.
Fischer pounding the stuffing out of Tucker, not likely. Leafs also had Domi, Corson, Belak, McCabe. Definitely would have taken a bite out of Detroit.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
cujoflutie

Send a message via ICQ to cujoflutie Send a message via Yahoo to cujoflutie
Let's not forget that Sundin and Tucker were playing hurt in the Carolina series and would have been healthier. They also didnt have coach Quinn for 2 games. That being said compare rosters and it's tough to make an argument for a Toronto victory. It likely would have been wings in 5 or 6.

cujoflutie is offline   Reply With Quote