HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OFFICIAL: Staios Signs 3 year/7.05 Mil Extension

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 08:11 AM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Staios Signs 3 year/7.05 Mil Extension

Since no official thread yet, thought id post this. (Info per tsn.ca)
Press conference later on today.

This has been ONE good week to be an Edmonton sports fan.
What a great, sleek move by Lowe. I guess now all that speculation about Staios going to the Leafs can die off.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:16 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
thats quite a pay rise just over 2m per year.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:16 AM
barto

COOL! Thanks for that - I hadn't seen or heard anything about that. The Oilers mailing list has been pretty good at sending out timely news like this, but not this time.

Excellent move - a very good week for Lowe & Oilers fans!

Does this mean Smith could be trade bait? I wonder if he would sign a similar deal to stay with the team (a la Smyth/Moreau/Staios) or if he'd rather go to the highest bidder (a la ....well, Smith vis a vis arbitration a while back). I guess we'll find out - either Lowe can sign him to a deal to stay with the team for a few more years or he trades him...

Anyway, good news about Staios! Maybe if they convert him to forward he could play with Oates...then we could call that pairing....

ADAM & STEVE!

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 08:19 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
thats quite a pay rise just over 2m per year.
True - NHLPA.com says he's making $1.1M this year. It could be something like $1.8 next year, then $2.3 & $2.7M over the 3 years, which isn't so bad.

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
windowlicker

Its a nice raise, but for the minutes hes been putting up, the age hes at and the unexpected offense I never thought he had, you know a bigger market team would give him comparable and better numbers in his UFA deal (lockout concidered)

Steve probably did this for the loyalty factor (theres that weird word, I just never see it used in sports often), and it gives him security and a piece of mind for the troubled waters of the impending War of 2004.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker

What a great, sleek move by Lowe. I guess now all that speculation about Staios going to the Leafs can die off.
Here is the TSN source:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=61102

Old
11-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Oilers Hockey

Since when have the Oilers started coming up with cash to keep their good players?

I've been an Oiler fan for years in my young life, and this is the best week I can remember...Wow. This week is full of great surprises!

Old
11-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Yanner39

Good move. Staios has been great since coming to Edmonton.

Good to hear.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:26 AM
goldenchild

I'll let KL and ownership worry about if the dollars make sense or notas a fan I am just thrilled to see the guy who has easily been our best D-man here for another 3 years. great news, 2 siginings in 3 days is this what it feels like to be a rangers fan? it's kind of fun

Old
11-19-2003, 08:32 AM
igor*

Quote:

Wow! Great news. I never would have expected the Oilers would have been able to hold onto him. I guess I've stopped hoping that the Oilers would be able to keep good players as they got older.

And that's a pretty decent salary too. Sets the bar about where it should be for Smith as well. Props to the Oilers and to Staios too

Old
11-19-2003, 08:45 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
I'll let KL and ownership worry about if the dollars make sense or notas a fan I am just thrilled to see the guy who has easily been our best D-man here for another 3 years. great news, 2 siginings in 3 days is this what it feels like to be a rangers fan? it's kind of fun
Gah! Perish the thought! That would mean we'd miss the playoffs for the umpteenth time in a row...

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Its a nice raise, but for the minutes hes been putting up, the age hes at and the unexpected offense I never thought he had, you know a bigger market team would give him comparable and better numbers in his UFA deal (lockout concidered)

Steve probably did this for the loyalty factor (theres that weird word, I just never see it used in sports often), and it gives him security and a piece of mind for the troubled waters of the impending War of 2004.
I agree. I think Staois appreciates that the Oilers gave hima real shot to prove what he can do. A lot of us have second guessed a lot of Lowe's moves, but it seems he has donw a good job of bringing players to Edmonton that want to be here. First Smyth, then Moreau, now Staois. CAll me crazy, but I think Dvorak will be happy to stay here when his time comes as well.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:48 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
[QUOTE=windowlicker]This has been ONE good week to be an Edmonton sports fan.QUOTE]

a comrie trade would top everything off as well as a shutout at the heritage classic where Oates makes a suprise entrance?

Old
11-19-2003, 08:57 AM
elphy101

Great news.

This however makes me think that Salo is gone. If the Oilers pass on the team option next year at 4 million. Then Staios' raise will only eat up about 1.2 million of that. Lowe will still have some more money to sign some of the teams other RFA's.

Unfortunately, Dvorak, York, Brewer, Smith and Isbister are all RFA's this offseason.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Great news.

This however makes me think that Salo is gone. If the Oilers pass on the team option next year at 4 million. Then Staios' raise will only eat up about 1.2 million of that. Lowe will still have some more money to sign some of the teams other RFA's.

Unfortunately, Dvorak, York, Brewer, Smith and Isbister are all RFA's this offseason.
York is signed until 05 - and the other guys should not be much of a problem as their salaries have pretty much topped out given their numbers.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Great news.

Well we can hope that they are learning a thing or two about the hard stance of our GM. I dont see Dvo, York or Izzy bieng difficult to sign. Its Brewer and Smith that worry me. Is Rich Winter an agent for any of these players?

Great work locking up Staios. He's been a diamond in the rough. Atlanta should be sorry they let their captain go for nothing.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Digger12

He's sure come a long way from when he first got here in '01:

Steve Staios

--------ES Minutes/GP---PP Minutes/GP----SH Minutes/GP--Overall
01/02-----14.63-------------0.97--------------2.45-------------18.07
02/03-----17.11-------------2.11--------------3.04-------------22.25
03/04-----17.11-------------4.39--------------3.78-------------25.33

Minutes/GP

Staios------25.33
Brewer-----23.11
Cross-------20.13
Smith------19.89
MAB--------17.93
Semenov---17.83
Ferguson---13.61

IMO it's fair to say that Staios is our #1 Dman as of right now, not Brewer.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Things are looking good guys. The fact that the Oilers are willing to lock guys up long term is a sign that the ownership and management of the team expect to have a CBA in place that will allow the Oilers to remain a part of the NHL long term.

At the same time though they are sending messages to players across the league: people want to play here and are willing to take less to do it. Smyth did it. Moreau did it. Now Staios has done it.

With Adam Oates signing with our team it further legitimizes the great foundation the Edmonton Oilers have. I think as time marches on we will see more free agents knocking on our door to offer their services just to be a part of a team that is so special.

What a great week.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:28 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
York is signed until 05 - and the other guys should not be much of a problem as their salaries have pretty much topped out given their numbers.
Good to hear, York's deal was my main concern.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
The way Moreau has started the season, does Lowe look like an even bigger genius re-structuring signing him long-term? Moreover, doesn't it make you love Ethan even more now for taking a paycut?

Kevin... you are learning. I just hope we can afford to keep you in a few years

Moreau, York, Staois, Smyth, Oates....Good job kevin

Old
11-19-2003, 09:38 AM
barto

Good point about Moreau...most people were concerned about his salary for what he contributes on the 3rd line, but when the multi-year deal was announced for LESS money, a lot of people (incl. me) were happy to see him in the fold for reasonable numbers.

And like last year, he's off to a strong start...arguably our most consistent forward so far this year. You gotta like what he brings to the table, and to agree to less money in order to stay here longer is a huge plus.

Some have mentioned Staios as a future captain, but it could easily be Moreau. Or Smyth, for that matter. With Stoll down the road...?

Looking good, definitely. I'm sure Lowe has some more pieces to the (post-CBA) puzzle he's working on, but the future does look bright!

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 10:10 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Moreau and Staios, these are the two people that Lowe obviously wants as part of their veteran core in offense and defense. Great signing by Lowe. We need these leadership types if we're gonna field a young lineup each year.
This has definitely been a defining week in Lowe's GM career.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:23 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Staios------25.33
Brewer-----23.11
Cross-------20.13
Smith------19.89
MAB--------17.93
Semenov---17.83
Ferguson---13.61

IMO it's fair to say that Staios is our #1 Dman as of right now, not Brewer.
Just to add to your great summary it is worth noting the Steve is 10th overall in the league in the 2003-2004 - Regular Season - Time On Ice - TOTAL TIME ON ICE with 456:56 in 18 games played. Six of the players ahead of him have played 19 and 20 games already. We are really getting our money's worth. As well Staios shares spot 23 - 35 in the defensmens' points total with 8 points on 2 goals with 6 assists while posting a plus 3.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:34 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

wow what a week to be an oilers fan. lowe man oh man you shrewd devil, talk about pulling rabbits out of hats. very happy about this signing i had the feeling staios wanted to remain in edmonton, he seems very happy here and his play reflects on that. right now staios is our most reliable defenseman. good job lowe and thank god rich winter wasn't staio's agent.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:54 AM
serum114

A quick note on the money issues:

If the 3 year extension is worth ~7 mil, I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of that (500K - 700K) would be allocated to this season.

If so, then the deal would work out to a shade over 2 mil over the next 3 years...

Or at least I kind of hope that's how it was worked out...

:-)

Closed Thread