HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rachunek Available?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Rachunek Available?

Supposedly Rachunek is available in Ottawa since the Sens have been playing poorly this year (todays Spectors). If this is true maybe we could put together a package that does not include Comrie that gets him in an Oiler jersey. Maybe Smith if they want more grit, or one of our extra forwards. I like Isbister a lot but a straight Izzy for Rachunek swap may make some sense for both teams (aside from salary). We get more depth on d and they get some size on the wing for their top lines. That would also make the Niinimaa trade net us Torres and Rakunek nice!

If we managed to get a dman like Rachunek for a forward then we can be free to deal Comrie at the right time for strictly high-end prospects and that is the scenario that probably gets us top value for the little bugger.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:14 AM
H-Bear

I would love getting Rachunek for Isbister ... but then again, I don't really like him all that much, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count here.

As for trading Smith for him; I don't think we can. We need someone on our line with a mean streak ... Brewer doesn't have it ... Semenov doesn't have it ... Cross doesn't have it ... Bergeron has it (sometimes) ... Staios has it (sometimes) ... Smith is the only one who is mean consistently enough. I hate to say it (since I like him so much), but I think a Staios for Rachunek deal would be better for us.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Supposedly Rachunek is available in Ottawa since the Sens have been playing poorly this year (todays Spectors). If this is true maybe we could put together a package that does not include Comrie that gets him in an Oiler jersey. Maybe Smith if they want more grit, or one of our extra forwards. I like Isbister a lot but a straight Izzy for Rachunek swap may make some sense for both teams (aside from salary). We get more depth on d and they get some size on the wing for their top lines. That would also make the Niinimaa trade net us Torres and Rakunek nice!

If we managed to get a dman like Rachunek for a forward then we can be free to deal Comrie at the right time for strictly high-end prospects and that is the scenario that probably gets us top value for the little bugger.
I like it, but I think Izzy is really gonna get a good shot at meeting his potential first. I can't see Lowe giving him up so soon. I wouldn't mind seeing a Laraque for Rachunek deal (add maybe a pick or fringe player from EDM to get the deal done)

Old
11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I like it, but I think Izzy is really gonna get a good shot at meeting his potential first. I can't see Lowe giving him up so soon. I wouldn't mind seeing a Laraque for Rachunek deal (add maybe a pick or fringe player from EDM to get the deal done)
I thought Rachunek has a lot higher trade value than Laraque or Izzy am I wrong in assuming this?

Old
11-19-2003, 09:29 AM
LawnDemon

ottawa wants some speed and size at LW... how about chimera + 3rd for rachunek?

- gives us some punch from the point.
- with smyth going back to LW it is even tighter for icetime. if rita is ever going to develop then the oilers need to make room for him.

question is, would chimera and a 3rd be enough to land rachunek?

Old
11-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon

- gives us some punch from the point.
- with smyth going back to LW it is even tighter for icetime. if rita is ever going to develop then the oilers need to make room for him.

Throw in Horcoff, and maybe we can Pry a young prospect as well

Old
11-19-2003, 09:36 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
i think WE'd have to offer THEM a young prospect just to take clearcoff off our hands...

Old
11-19-2003, 10:03 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
Ignoring Horc's mediocreness (is that a word??), and look at the OTT line-up:
- Bonk
- Spezza
- Fisher
- White
- Smolinski

Five centres already; all better than Horcoff. What would they do with him?

Old
11-19-2003, 10:06 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
I was thinking of the same thing. If Chimera + 3rd round pick isn't enough, then I'm sure Chimera + 2nd would.
I think we're a defenseman away from being a pretty darn good club.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
I don't see the point of trading Izzy so soon after acquiring him. Sure, he had a tough start to this season but he was starting to play much better before his injury in Ottawa. I think you have to give him time to regain some confidence after the treatment he received from Milbury and the Islanders. He has all the physical tools so it's not a case of lack of talent, what he needs is a dose of confidence and consistency. If you look at the statistical progression of Bertuzzi compared to Izzy, they are pretty close and it took Bertuzzi a couple of seasons in Vancouver to regain his confidence. Give it some time.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
I don't see the point of trading Izzy so soon after acquiring him. Sure, he had a tough start to this season but he was starting to play much better before his injury in Ottawa. I think you have to give him time to regain some confidence after the treatment he received from Milbury and the Islanders. He has all the physical tools so it's not a case of lack of talent, what he needs is a dose of confidence and consistency. If you look at the statistical progression of Bertuzzi compared to Izzy, they are pretty close and it took Bertuzzi a couple of seasons in Vancouver to regain his confidence. Give it some time.
As I said - I like Izzy but there seems to be a growing numbers problem on LW with the rapid development of Torres. I would actually very much like to see Izzy on 3rd line RW with Reasoner and Moreau - that line would be big, tough, skilled and would make life very very difficult for opposition top lines. The only probelm is Izzy's salary - but I think its probably going down next year not up (I would not be surprised if he signed a deal similar to Moreau's - more years - less dollars).

But if a solid dman like Rachunek is available for any of Laraque/Chimera/Izzy/picks then you have to think about it.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:59 AM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
But if a solid dman like Rachunek is available for any of Laraque/Chimera/Izzy/picks then you have to think about it.
I don't see Lowe trading for a defenceman like Rachunek...his trend is to trade away the types who aren't strong defensively, not to acquire them. Rachunek is also a little over-rated currently.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:05 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I don't see Lowe trading for a defenceman like Rachunek...his trend is to trade away the types who aren't strong defensively, not to acquire them. Rachunek is also a little over-rated currently.
I think you can put Bergeron into that category, though, as not being strong defensively. He's adequate, but his strengths are playing WITH the puck - making that first pass out of the zone, jumping up into the play, etc.

If they feel a d-man with offensive skills is 'moldable' (teachable), then they can try to teach the defense side like they tried to do with Poti.

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 06:33 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I think you can put Bergeron into that category, though, as not being strong defensively. He's adequate, but his strengths are playing WITH the puck - making that first pass out of the zone, jumping up into the play, etc.

If they feel a d-man with offensive skills is 'moldable' (teachable), then they can try to teach the defense side like they tried to do with Poti.

Bart
I agree for the most part, Bergeron is here more for his puck moving ability than his defence. If we can rely on Bergeron for offence with small contributions from Smith, Staios, Brewer and Cross, do we actually need Rachunek?

Old
11-19-2003, 06:51 PM
hunter orange

Why not move Izzy for Rachunek if Ottawa is willing. Our LW is solid, Izzy has been underachieving since he's gotten here (no surprise there), we need one more top four d-man with the offensive tools to see time on the PP AND we'd still have Comrie to fill in the other holes that may appear later in the season.

The argument that we HAVE TO give Izzy a longer shot does not hold water with me. How long does he need: 2 months? 3? 6 months? Two seasons? We lost Niinimaa and we gain Torres and Rachunek...sounds like real decent return to me.

Closed Thread