HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price: our goalie of the future...

Old
09-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Carey Price: our goalie of the future...

It was the second time this pre-season I've had the chance to watch Price, and...
I was absolutely impressed with his poised and confident style, glove hand, etc... And physically he reminds me of Luongo (same height, Carey weighs more).
I'm soooooo glad Gainey chose Price over Brule. Gilbert might end up having a very good career (good for him), and at the same time I really think we have found our great #1 goalie of the future

He is (approx.) 2 years away from being our #1 goalie...

What do you think? And, Carey Price's goaltending style reminds you of who? (Luongo? Lehtonen?...).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I think Gilbert Brule is an incredible talent.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:10 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
I think Brulé is a great talent but he is on the small side and injured prone... On another side I agree with the original poster, Price is an elite young goaltender and Im very very happy with the pick.

At the moment, i can understand some like Brulé better but in the long run Im sure we took the good decision.. (once again)

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Like I wrote...maybe Gilbert will have a very good career (maybe he does really play larger than his injury prone 5'9-5'10 frame...). But, Brule is not what we need (especially not over Price)...we've needed a great, young #1 goalie for the longest time.

All I know is (from what I saw)...Carey Price is an outstanding talent...he could very well be the best goalie we've drafted since...

Patrick Roy!

Old
09-28-2006, 05:36 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Like I wrote...maybe Gilbert will have a very good career (maybe he does really play larger than his injury prone 5'9-5'10 frame...). But, Brule is not what we need (especially not over Price)...we've needed a great, young #1 goalie for the longest time.

All I know is (from what I saw)...Carey Price is an outstanding talent...he could very well be the best goalie we've drafted since...

Patrick Roy!
I agree with you. Price is our future and lets hope he will be with us soon... not that I don't like Huet or anything, but I think that price has more to offer

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Bryzga lol*

I wasn't happy with the pick until the past few weeks. I was a little let down by his numbers in Tri-City this year, but with the preformance he put on in the pre-season, I'm not worrying anymore. I just want to see him play great at the WJC.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Marksman

I hope you're right but Price becoming our number one goalie sounds awfully optimistic. Its a big jump from playing half preseason game to playing majority of regular season games for NHL team.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:33 AM
David_99

I was as confused as anyone with the pick originally, seeing as how he was slotted for #10. I absolutely love the pick now that I see what he's capable of. All due respect to Brule, he sounds like a great talent, though if he was picked, I could just see another Koivu incident happen. What if we hadn't drafted Koivu? Whatever team he'd be on, he wouldn't have played Chicago that night and wrecked his knees. He coulda been a Selanne and we'd be kicking ourselves for picking Eric Lecompte instead. I just mention this because we are a small team with a history of injured players. Just because Brule has a great career elsewhere doesn't 100% mean he'd have on here. With our luck he'd get nailed his first shift and be out 6 months lol

I'm sure both guys will have great careers, but at least now we don't have to worry if Yann Danis can take us to the inevitable in 2009

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:46 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I think Brulé is a great talent but he is on the small side and injured prone...
So are Koivu and Samsonov and many stars in the league.

Anyways, I was pretty impressed with Price..with Melanson as a coach and a few more years under his belt he could become something special for us!

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
mabus

I'll say this much, Price impressed the heck out of me and not because of the scores or any individual saves but because of the way he plays the physical game. When he stands ready to make a save, {or in fact even when his own Dmen have the puck} he completely covers the bottom of the net, from goalpost to goalpost. This is something most goalies are incapable of doing, Price's height works to his advantage here.

He has incredibly quick feet, he challenges shooters aggressively, but is fast enough to get back into position after the play. Also has a huge glove hand that is pure reflexes. His play seemed to have a mixture of confidence, but also nervousness, which is understandable given his lack of experiance and his young age. But these are things that will sort themselves out in time. Playing in the WJC will go a long way towards providing him with that experiance and boosting his self confidence.

There's no way to predict how he will develop over time, but he's definately on the right track. So far, and it is indeed early days yet, but so far, it looks like a great pick up for us. He could very well end up a future superstar for our team. With Price, Brule or any other kid of that age, all you can go for is a chance.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Nice to see the Price pick looking like a good one. However, I don't expect to see Price as the Number 1 in Montreal for another 3 yrs, maybe longer. He'll be bought along slowly, more Junior, then in the AHL, then as a backup. No need to rush him if Huet continues to play solidly. Of course, I'd love for him to be number one in 2 years and make me eat my words.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Long run we need more Price than Brule, short term Price is not with us, Brule would have a shot at Ribeiro's spot, he would be fun to watch right now....until he gets injured....

But again we have to be careful with that excuse 'cause the King Latendresse himself is concussion prone.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
wade

we have too many fowards as it stands right now anyways
i dont mind having someone that still needs a bit of development with the potential of being huge!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Pascal

I try not to get too excited about our prospects anymore. It's easy to fall in love with them when the fans drool on any young guy who shows some good stuff.

Then if he becomes great, that's good, but if he doesn't I won't cry about it.

I'm jaded.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

In the long run 5-10 years from now,Price will be alot more important to us then if we had picked Brule.The Habs made a great choice

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Brule could easily end up being a big star but personally I'm glad we took Price. I think the players character had a major impact on why one was picked over the other. I heard something about Brule demanding to play in the nhl right away and I think Gainey would never let an 18 year old kid tell him what he's going to do if the story is true. But either way it doesn't matter, we got Price and we'll see what he can do.

I hope to see better things from Price this year and can't wait for december to see him in nets for Team Canada, but I also feel that this season is a bit of a waste, we'll get a better feel for him next year when he plays pro, personally I can't wait to see him in Hamilton.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Brule could easily end up being a big star but personally I'm glad we took Price. I think the players character had a major impact on why one was picked over the other. I heard something about Brule demanding to play in the nhl right away and I think Gainey would never let an 18 year old kid tell him what he's going to do if the story is true. But either way it doesn't matter, we got Price and we'll see what he can do.

I hope to see better things from Price this year and can't wait for december to see him in nets for Team Canada, but I also feel that this season is a bit of a waste, we'll get a better feel for him next year when he plays pro, personally I can't wait to see him in Hamilton.

The only thing, though it's a big thing, that I'm looking forward to this year is his consistency. Understand Tri-City might not be the most competitve team again this year but he can't be pulled the number of times he was last year.

Wonder if Pickert's presence will give Tri-City the idea of moving Price??? Wonder if the rumor from Vancouver will happen as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:46 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I try not to get too excited about our prospects anymore. It's easy to fall in love with them when the fans drool on any young guy who shows some good stuff.

Then if he becomes great, that's good, but if he doesn't I won't cry about it.

I'm jaded.
You need Doctor Phil, or the Doc Mailloux.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The only thing, though it's a big thing, that I'm looking forward to this year is his consistency. Understand Tri-City might not be the most competitve team again this year but he can't be pulled the number of times he was last year.

Wonder if Pickert's presence will give Tri-City the idea of moving Price??? Wonder if the rumor from Vancouver will happen as well.
I would guess that Price won't be moved, at least not unless they fall apart and havw no shot at the playoffs. imo getting Yellowhorn was a statement that they want to try and compete for the playoffs and since their division is on the weak side, a good season from Price and others could get them there. I really don't care where he plays, cause playing on a good team can create undo hype, whereas playing on a bad team forces a player to learn several lessons.

I once talked to Christopher Heino's dad and we talked about how he was loaned to another team, Valentuna, who at the time were in the tier-2 but were dropped to tier-3 at the end of Heino's year there. The team won something like 2 games all season that Heino was in nets (off the top of my head) he was sometimes facing 50 shots a night and according to his dad it was really hard on him to keep losing all the time, playing night in and night out knowing that the team would likely lose and lose badly. We talked about how he felt it made him a better player to go through those struggles at a young age (18) and how it helped his game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
In the long run 5-10 years from now,Price will be alot more important to us then if we had picked Brule.The Habs made a great choice

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
BORAT

For Jacques Demers who is the most '' safe player '' of all Quebec Hockey personalities to say that Carey Price deserved to be the starting Goalie this year says alot about what kind of performance he is capable of

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
For Jacques Demers who is the most '' safe player '' of all Quebec Hockey personalities to say that Carey Price deserved to be the starting Goalie this year says alot about what kind of performance he is capable of
Wow!! I didn't know that Demers said this (above). That (again!) says a lot about our Carey Price!

Old
09-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Habbadasher

I was also surprised that we pciekd a goalie that year, but his play in the preseason the last 2 years convinced me he is a special player, so poised, yet let in a bad angle goal both years. Seems to anticipate too much. But he is 19, and I am impressed.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote