HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baranka Hanging Around?

Old
09-29-2006, 08:46 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Baranka Hanging Around?

With all of the Dawes-Dubinsky-Immonen talk, he seems to be flying under the radar. Having a pretty good pre-season and has clearly elevated his stature in the big picture. If Stall, as anticipated, goes back to junior, I'm wondering if we don't keep 8 defensemen and he is one of them.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Fletch

I think...

we covered Baranka in the game day thread. In the three preseason games I've seen televised, Baranka's been no worse than this team's sixth best defenseman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I'd say the five that are definate are: DK, Malik, Tyutin, Roszival, and Ward. First, would be to send down Rachunek. Then it gets tough. If you keep Staal up for the 10 games my inclination would be to send Baranka down and have Staal as the 6th, Pock as the 7th. If Baranka shows us games equally as good in the last two preseason games, I say just send Staal down and start IB on the last pairing. If Baranka falters when given this chance, we have other youth such as Pock to give a run at that spot, and the chips to make a deal at worst case scenario.

Old
09-29-2006, 09:32 AM
dkich96

Baranka should defiantly stick with the big boys. He receives my vote......

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I'd say the five that are definate are: DK, Malik, Tyutin, Roszival, and Ward. First, would be to send down Rachunek. Then it gets tough. If you keep Staal up for the 10 games my inclination would be to send Baranka down and have Staal as the 6th, Pock as the 7th. If Baranka shows us games equally as good in the last two preseason games, I say just send Staal down and start IB on the last pairing. If Baranka falters when given this chance, we have other youth such as Pock to give a run at that spot, and the chips to make a deal at worst case scenario.
I doubt they send down Rachunek. The guy still needs to adjust back to the big rink and they know that. Hes been ok as far as his play goes, he hasnt been terrible enough for them to send him down, if he was that bad they would have sent him down already.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ivan Baranka needs to play 20 minutes a game in the AHL.He didn't play a complete season in Hartford last year.He broke his hand in a fight which ended his season.I think he had another injury which caused him to miss more time.What purpose does it serve having Baranka sitting in the press box eating popcorn

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:42 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ivan Baranka needs to play 20 minutes a game in the AHL.He didn't play a complete season in Hartford last year.He broke his hand in a fight which ended his season.I think he had another injury which caused him to miss more time.What purpose does it serve having Baranka sitting in the press box eating popcorn
He is young and talented and deserves a place among the top 6 defensemen. I agree send him down if no quality minutes are available. Nevertheless, he was the best dman in Hartford last year and more than a half a season in the AHL will be counterproductive IMO. We need to bite the bullet and trade one or two of our defensemen to open spots for Baranka and possibly Pock and Staal

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:51 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
I agreed.

While Baranka has been impressive but a season in the HFD playing 20 minutes is only going ot make him better, like you said he was injured for much of the season last year. He needs big game minutes to improve even more, and playing 1 game a month on the Rangers and only getting 12 minutes of ice time isn't going to make him much better.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Fletch

Why sit in the press box?

maybe it's just me, but if preseason is any indication of his play, he's been at least the sixth best defenseman on this team. I agree he shouldn't be a 7th defenseman, but heck, this kid's been better than Rachunek thus far.

Old
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
He is young and talented and deserves a place among the top 6 defensemen. I agree send him down if no quality minutes are available. Nevertheless, he was the best dman in Hartford last year and more than a half a season in the AHL will be counterproductive IMO. We need to bite the bullet and trade one or two of our defensemen to open spots for Baranka and possibly Pock and Staal
Trade them where?Most teams have already spent their cap money and are waiting until the trading deadline for their next moves.At the trading deadline when most of the money has already been paid by the other team.If the Rangers wanted to move a defenseman or two,the trading deadline is their best bet.Or next summer.All of their defensemen except Karel Rachunek(group II) are signed for 2007-08.A team may want to acquire a defenseman from the Rangers for the rest of the remaining season at the deadline and for 07-08 instead of signing a FA defenseman to a 3-4 year contract

Old
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
maybe it's just me, but if preseason is any indication of his play, he's been at least the sixth best defenseman on this team. I agree he shouldn't be a 7th defenseman, but heck, this kid's been better than Rachunek thus far.
Rachenek is making $1.8 million

Old
09-29-2006, 11:08 AM
True Blue

This is going to be a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
of something that we have been descussing back and forth over the last year or so. Will the rookies be truly given a chance to make the team and is there "true" competition or just lip service? I agree with you that Baranka has been better than Rachunek (actually, so too has Pock). Rozsival has not even stepped a toe onto the ice. You can even take it a step further (not that I am trying to hijack the thread into a new direction). Immonen & Dubinsky certainly have had a better camps to date that Betts or Hossa. However, much like in the case of Baranka, the prospects for the rookies being in the starting lineup are looking bleak.

It really comes down to the fact that despite having superior camps, those who can go to Hartford seem destined to go there.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Fletch

That is the reality, Rangerboy..

but I only care about putting the best product on ice. Renney had no problem sitting Ozo last season, so I'd hope he'd do the right thing if he believes one's better than the other.

Old
09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Edge

Baranka is one of those who guys who potentially could keep flying in under the radar throughout his career.

We talked about Staal, Sauer, Tyutin, Sanguinetti, even Pock, but the quiet stay at home guy is Baranka. Not as flashy as his fellow defensive prospects, but solid and he is progressing very nicely.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Fletch

The kid seems to have skill...

with some experience, it may come out more. He did a good job getting a shorthanded goal - jumped into the play and finished.

Old
09-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
of something that we have been descussing back and forth over the last year or so. Will the rookies be truly given a chance to make the team and is there "true" competition or just lip service? I agree with you that Baranka has been better than Rachunek (actually, so too has Pock). Rozsival has not even stepped a toe onto the ice. You can even take it a step further (not that I am trying to hijack the thread into a new direction). Immonen & Dubinsky certainly have had a better camps to date that Betts or Hossa. However, much like in the case of Baranka, the prospects for the rookies being in the starting lineup are looking bleak.

It really comes down to the fact that despite having superior camps, those who can go to Hartford seem destined to go there.
I find it hard to believe that the organization did not know that one of Baranka, Pock, Staal would be ready to step into the top 6 this year. And if they did know that, then they should have moved one of the vets to make room.

If we're in the middle of the "youth-movement" and the kids are ready to play, shouldn't they play?

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Rachenek is making $1.8 million
Who cares? the front office should not care either. Disgrace the Ranger jersey one time, going to HFD or being the 7th Dman should not be a huge deal. I still can't for the life of me understand what makes the Rangers think he's worthy of putting on the sweater. He does not have the Ranger character. Are they just trying to show him off to other teams as having some value?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Nick00

It's not like our defense is that great to begin with, and Baranka has been one of the better ones in the preseason games he's played.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Fish

Quote:
Trade them where?Most teams have already spent their cap money and are waiting until the trading deadline for their next moves.At the trading deadline when most of the money has already been paid by the other team.If the Rangers wanted to move a defenseman or two,the trading deadline is their best bet.Or next summer.All of their defensemen except Karel Rachunek(group II) are signed for 2007-08.A team may want to acquire a defenseman from the Rangers for the rest of the remaining season at the deadline and for 07-08 instead of signing a FA defenseman to a 3-4 year contract
Pretty sure Rachunek becomes a Group III UFA next summer

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 04:56 PM
BwayBshirt

i'm pretty sure that the rangers want to see what rachunek can do in "real" games before they make a judgement on him.

unlike a martin richter or an anders eriksson type, i think they believe he has real talent, so they won't be in a rush to to decide with him.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 05:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

doesn't baranka have a pretty heavy slapshot?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Rachunek wasn't that impressive his first time with the Rangers. Yes, that was a much different team but it's a bad sign.

I'm all for giving the guy a chance but Baranka has played well. If it was me I'd think about finding away to get Staal in the lineup or at least on the team. Who knows with the play of Baranka and the indications from management that Staal playing in junior is a waste of time maybe a trade is coming.

The story of the weekend for this team is going to be do you trade one of Pock, Orr, Hossa, or Rachunek to make room for Staal on the TEAM.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:48 PM
NYR469

there is no way that baranka stays unless there is a trade or injury to allow him into the top 6. he has to play. they aren't going to keep him to sit in the press box each night...as long as the top 6 remains malik, rozsival, kaspar, tyutin, ward and rachunek baranka will be in hartford getting top minutes and waiting for a chance to be called up

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote