Notices

Pre-Season GDT: Rangers @ Bruins l 09/30 l 4 ET l NESN

Old
09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
You would do well to watch things like his positioning, skating, passing etc rather than basing your judgement on a couple innocuous penalties in a preseason game.
Thanks for the tip. I mentioned his passing and vision in an earlier post.

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I was at the game and sitting close to the ice and went in looking for nothing more than to be entertained- if the Bruins win great but really just looking to see some good hockey in a meaningless game. The refs bleeped me over. They ruined it. If the games are called like this, I will no longer be a hockey fan. Pure bleep. Honestly, I have never seen such ridiculous calls. The two other people I was watching with would be watching the same play and we weren't sure what the penalty was on the player. I been going to games since the late 60's and I can't remember wondering what was going on. If I was playing I would be afraid to have ANY, and I mean ANY contact.
I agree. Early in this thread, I was saying I thought the refs had an agenda this afternoon. They totally killed the game, and it was both ways- not just the Bruins, but even a couple of questionable calls against the Rangers as well. They totally killed the game.

Only one call of Mara's was legit, the other two were monsters.

This is the only game that I've seen him in, so I am reserving judgement for a bit. I thought he played ok- not bad, but not great.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Shinny

It was fun watching the B's again, especially some of the new guys that didn't play in the first preseason game I went to.

The Good:

I thought Muzz had a solid game on both ends of the ice. Got hit straight in the face with a skate and took a hard shot off the hand or arm and still kept performing well. Pretty PP goal and looks like he'll have nice chemistry with Savard.

Nice to see Boyes score and Bergy looked better than the first game.

Savard was incredibly impressive. Super passes, creative, feisty.

Liked Hoggan's energy and think he'd be a great 4th liner. Noticed him much more in the little time they played than Stastny.

The Bad:

I know some calls on Mara were questionable, but he needs to be more responsible and smarter with his stick. Hopefully just nerves being his first game on home ice.

Horrific turnover on Kessel, but he'll likely have more of those moments as a rook.

I don't mind hearing the occasional "down the river" and "make yourself available," but it would be nice if Brick and Edwards would do a better job telling us who got assists and who is in the box and why. And did they ever mention Kalus and why he wasn't playing or talk about his skill and chance of making the team?

The Ugly:

The refereeing. Ugh.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:38 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I agree. Early in this thread, I was saying I thought the refs had an agenda this afternoon. They totally killed the game, and it was both ways- not just the Bruins, but even a couple of questionable calls against the Rangers as well. They totally killed the game.

This is the only game that I've seen him in, so I am reserving judgement for a bit. I thought he played ok- not bad, but not great.
Be careful, you might be considered part of the Boynton fan club. I'm reserving judgement until the season actually starts. I know Mara will be offensive and be awesome at the breakout passes. It's the defensive part that I'll be interested in seeing.

And Mara accepts responsbility for the two tripping calls.

Quote:
Paul Mara, called for kneeing in the first period, disagreed with the call, saying he's not that type of player. But the defenseman, who took two tripping penalties later, didn't shy away from accepting the blame. "I take full responsibility for it," said Mara, who was in the box for Brendan Shanahan's first-period goal and Jaromir Jagr's second-period strike.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...angers_53.html

Old
09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4419 View Post
Be careful, you might be considered part of the Boynton fan club. I'm reserving judgement until the season actually starts. I know Mara will be offensive and be awesome at the breakout passes. It's the defensive part that I'll be interested in seeing.

And Mara accepts responsbility for the two tripping calls.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...angers_53.html
You aren't going to judge Mara based on Boynton are you? Boynton was going to get traded this summer one way or another. The pending judgment has to be on Chiarelli and Gorton.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
I don't mind hearing the occasional "down the river" and "make yourself available," but it would be nice if Brick and Edwards would do a better job telling us who got assists and who is in the box and why.
I actually wrote to NESN about this very thing this afternoon. It gets old after awhile when they talk about something that has nothing to do with the game, meanwhile, we have no idea who's in the box, never mind what team is on the PK. I miss Fred Cusick- you didn't need to watch the game on TV to know what was going on- every second he gave a detailed play by play, you knew what team was getting the penalty and who was going in the box.

I don't mind the mindless banter, but dammit, stay focused on the game FIRST, then chat afterwards during a stoppage in play.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:44 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention Savard; I thought he was terrific today... best pure playmaker the Bruins have had since Oates or Janney.
I'm a pretty big Savard fan and have been since his days in Calgary. I think he'll rack up nice points in Boston. I just didn't think the line of Axe-Savard-Murray had much flow to it. They got some nice plays together around the net, but I didn't see them skating up the ice as a unit dishing off to each other very much. Not a big deal, I just didn't think it was a stellar game for that line. I was happy to see Murray doing everything except stand at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer pass. How bad did he get cut when he took a stick up high?

What do people think of York? I thought he looked pretty poor. While he may be more experienced than our phalanx of kids, I would not be happy to sit any of Alberts, Jurcina or M Stuart in favor of York. I also wasn't impressed with Dempsey, he kept missing passes to his defense partner, constantly sending it well wide of the tape, which hurts their transition game.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
BostonPC
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:

I do think they are calling things a little too tight....just like last year when they were trying to set a precedence early on. They eventually gave the players a little more room to play but it took a while. Mara also played in the Western Conference which allowed more contact last year, so he just needs to make the adjustment.

I hope the NHL can find a happy medium in regard to penalties or it is going to be a long season.

BostonPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
DOGSTARMAN

I thought Mara looked pretty good. He threw the best check of the game for the Bruins. He was getting involved with the puck and seemed interested. I have always thought the claims about him being too soft were overstated. He may not be a bruiser, but I think he's got a little bit of aggression in him. He's more complete than he's been getting credit for, it seems to me.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
You aren't going to judge Mara based on Boynton are you? Boynton was going to get traded this summer one way or another. The pending judgment has to be on Chiarelli and Gorton.
I'm no fan of Boynton myself (I don't hate him, but I'm not upset that he's gone, let's just say), BUT- Mara does have some work cut out for him.

Even the fans in Phoenix have said "good riddance" to him because of what we're seeing from him in our zone. I agree with bruins4419- I hesitate being content with his play until further in the season, but so far, I am not overly impressed. And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:51 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
I actually wrote to NESN about this very thing this afternoon. It gets old after awhile when they talk about something that has nothing to do with the game, meanwhile, we have no idea who's in the box, never mind what team is on the PK. I miss Fred Cusick- you didn't need to watch the game on TV to know what was going on- every second he gave a detailed play by play, you knew what team was getting the penalty and who was going in the box.

I don't mind the mindless banter, but dammit, stay focused on the game FIRST, then chat afterwards during a stoppage in play.
I love both Brick and Edwards but you are right. This isn't baseball with it's endless downtime for banter and digression. They have to take care of business first. Of course, this game was like their training camp, so they have some rust of their own no doubt and can be excused for today.
We were spoiled with Cusick. He was better at keeping up with the pace at age 75 than most guys are at 40--and there were no long TV timeouts to regroup until his last 3 or 4 years either.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post
I do think they are calling things a little too tight....just like last year when they were trying to set a precedence early on. They eventually gave the players a little more room to play but it took a while. Mara also played in the Western Conference which allowed more contact last year, so he just needs to make the adjustment.

I hope the NHL can find a happy medium in regard to penalties or it is going to be a long season.
Yes, they did this last year in the preseason as well as the beginning of the season- it was brutal for the Bruins. It seemed we spent more time in the box than out for the first two months. So, yes, the refs went way overboard today with the penalties called on both teams and killed the momentum.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:52 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Oh my gosh, no. Two different types of players needed to fill much needed voids on two different teams. I'm no rookie.

I have not mentioned the "other" defenseman's name once today.

Quote:
And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.
Thank you! And ya think? Maybe I should change my name to MaraFan and get rid of the 44.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I'm a pretty big Savard fan and have been since his days in Calgary. I think he'll rack up nice points in Boston. I just didn't think the line of Axe-Savard-Murray had much flow to it. They got some nice plays together around the net, but I didn't see them skating up the ice as a unit dishing off to each other very much. Not a big deal, I just didn't think it was a stellar game for that line. I was happy to see Murray doing everything except stand at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer pass. How bad did he get cut when he took a stick up high?

What do people think of York? I thought he looked pretty poor. While he may be more experienced than our phalanx of kids, I would not be happy to sit any of Alberts, Jurcina or M Stuart in favor of York. I also wasn't impressed with Dempsey, he kept missing passes to his defense partner, constantly sending it well wide of the tape, which hurts their transition game.
I've only seen York in two pre-season games, but haven't been impressed. I know he brings a needed veteran presence and all that, but what do people that have regularly gone to training camp think of his skill level?

Old
09-30-2006, 07:54 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
I'm no fan of Boynton myself (I don't hate him, but I'm not upset that he's gone, let's just say), BUT- Mara does have some work cut out for him.

Even the fans in Phoenix have said "good riddance" to him because of what we're seeing from him in our zone. I agree with bruins4419- I hesitate being content with his play until further in the season, but so far, I am not overly impressed. And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.
It's a legitimate question, not grief. To me, it's on Chiarelli and Gorton if Mara isn't as good as Boynton.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
I love both Brick and Edwards but you are right. This isn't baseball with it's endless downtime for banter and digression, they have to take care of business first. Of course, this game was like their training camp, so they have some rust of their own no doubt and can be excused for today.
We were spoiled with Cusick. He was better at keeping up with the pace at age 75 than most guys are at 40--and there were no long TV timeouts to regroup until his last 3 or 4 years either.
Honestly, they do this in the regular season as well. Dale also has the tendency to do this, and today it was just too much. Brickley likes to talk TOO much, hence why I don't care for him. Call the game, and inbetween whistles, fine, chat away. Otherwise, let Jack and Dale do their jobs and let the fans know what is going on.

Sometimes, we don't always have the advantage of seeing what's happening behind the play because of camera shots, and we don't always see the penalty. It is THEIR job to let fans know what is going on. Save the other stuff for talk shows, inbetween periods and whistles and let Dale and Jack call the game as it is happening.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post

I think they call any penalty they can to enforce what the players see on the instructional video (or whatever it is). I think they're wrong a lot of the time, but it's pre-season. They want players to know what "should" be a penalty.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Shinny

From Fluto's most-excellent blog:

Quote:
All Bruins who played less than 12 minutes (Hoggan, Petr Tenkrat, Mark Mowers, Wayne Primeau, Shean Donovan, Wade Brookbank, and Yan Stastny) had to ride the stationary bikes after the game.
Anyone know if this was standard operating procedure for Sully too?

Old
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
It's a legitimate question, not grief. To me, it's on Chiarelli and Gorton if Mara isn't as good as Boynton.

Sorry, Trenton, I know you probably didn't mean it the way it sounded, but Jaci's been called out a few times today for expressing her opinion on Mara, and she isn't the only one to feel this way.

Even when Thornton was traded, never once did she say anything ill about Sturm, Primeau or Stuart, but I've noticed some folks have come down on her over Mara, and just feel it is wrong. She's said several times, she will reserve judgement til later- that isn't a critism of him because of Boynton, just her opinion like the rest of us. Some of us like him, some don't care for him, and others like Jaci and I are on the fence about him.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Mike B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Horrific turnover on Kessel, but he'll likely have more of those moments as a rook.
What does his being a rookie have to do with it? He fanned on a puck. It happens to everyone.

Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:03 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Not exactly from you, just others. It seemed whenever I mentioned Mara's name during the game, somebody was always quick to point out the trade and why I might not like him.

Good point about Chiarelli and Gorton. I hope Mara does play up to everybody's expectations.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Blowfish

Bobby Allen

What surprises me is that Bobby Allen isn't getting more recognition.

From what I witnessed in Monction, he deserves more credit. He was was by far one of the best D-men out there. He played smart, great skating, and controlled the play very well. Why York, Dempsey, and Brookbank are still present and Allen was sent to the AHL surprises me...Hope they made the right decision, more importantly I hope Allen gets a call-up soon!

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
For those of you complaining about the commentary of today's game, Edwards said before the game started that they weren't going to do a typical play-by-play/color analyst approach for the game. Rather, they were going to discuss the roster moves, front office and coaching moves, and what people can expect from them.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Kalus can't go to the AHL. It's either NHL or junior for him.
I thought it was determined he could go to Providence?

Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
What does his being a rookie have to do with it? He fanned on a puck. It happens to everyone.

Yes, it happens to most everyone. And when it happens it's a mistake. And rookies tend to make more mistakes than experienced guys.