HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season GDT: Rangers @ Bruins l 09/30 l 4 ET l NESN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
  #476
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
You would do well to watch things like his positioning, skating, passing etc rather than basing your judgement on a couple innocuous penalties in a preseason game.
Thanks for the tip. I mentioned his passing and vision in an earlier post.

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
  #477
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I was at the game and sitting close to the ice and went in looking for nothing more than to be entertained- if the Bruins win great but really just looking to see some good hockey in a meaningless game. The refs bleeped me over. They ruined it. If the games are called like this, I will no longer be a hockey fan. Pure bleep. Honestly, I have never seen such ridiculous calls. The two other people I was watching with would be watching the same play and we weren't sure what the penalty was on the player. I been going to games since the late 60's and I can't remember wondering what was going on. If I was playing I would be afraid to have ANY, and I mean ANY contact.
I agree. Early in this thread, I was saying I thought the refs had an agenda this afternoon. They totally killed the game, and it was both ways- not just the Bruins, but even a couple of questionable calls against the Rangers as well. They totally killed the game.

Only one call of Mara's was legit, the other two were monsters.

This is the only game that I've seen him in, so I am reserving judgement for a bit. I thought he played ok- not bad, but not great.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
  #478
Shinny
Registered User
 
Shinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
It was fun watching the B's again, especially some of the new guys that didn't play in the first preseason game I went to.

The Good:

I thought Muzz had a solid game on both ends of the ice. Got hit straight in the face with a skate and took a hard shot off the hand or arm and still kept performing well. Pretty PP goal and looks like he'll have nice chemistry with Savard.

Nice to see Boyes score and Bergy looked better than the first game.

Savard was incredibly impressive. Super passes, creative, feisty.

Liked Hoggan's energy and think he'd be a great 4th liner. Noticed him much more in the little time they played than Stastny.

The Bad:

I know some calls on Mara were questionable, but he needs to be more responsible and smarter with his stick. Hopefully just nerves being his first game on home ice.

Horrific turnover on Kessel, but he'll likely have more of those moments as a rook.

I don't mind hearing the occasional "down the river" and "make yourself available," but it would be nice if Brick and Edwards would do a better job telling us who got assists and who is in the box and why. And did they ever mention Kalus and why he wasn't playing or talk about his skill and chance of making the team?

The Ugly:

The refereeing. Ugh.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:38 PM
  #479
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I agree. Early in this thread, I was saying I thought the refs had an agenda this afternoon. They totally killed the game, and it was both ways- not just the Bruins, but even a couple of questionable calls against the Rangers as well. They totally killed the game.

Only one call of Mara's was legit, the other two were monsters.

This is the only game that I've seen him in, so I am reserving judgement for a bit. I thought he played ok- not bad, but not great.
Be careful, you might be considered part of the Boynton fan club. I'm reserving judgement until the season actually starts. I know Mara will be offensive and be awesome at the breakout passes. It's the defensive part that I'll be interested in seeing.

And Mara accepts responsbility for the two tripping calls.

Quote:
Paul Mara, called for kneeing in the first period, disagreed with the call, saying he's not that type of player. But the defenseman, who took two tripping penalties later, didn't shy away from accepting the blame. "I take full responsibility for it," said Mara, who was in the box for Brendan Shanahan's first-period goal and Jaromir Jagr's second-period strike.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...angers_53.html

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
  #480
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4419 View Post
Be careful, you might be considered part of the Boynton fan club. I'm reserving judgement until the season actually starts. I know Mara will be offensive and be awesome at the breakout passes. It's the defensive part that I'll be interested in seeing.

And Mara accepts responsbility for the two tripping calls.



http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...angers_53.html
You aren't going to judge Mara based on Boynton are you? Boynton was going to get traded this summer one way or another. The pending judgment has to be on Chiarelli and Gorton.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:43 PM
  #481
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
I don't mind hearing the occasional "down the river" and "make yourself available," but it would be nice if Brick and Edwards would do a better job telling us who got assists and who is in the box and why.
I actually wrote to NESN about this very thing this afternoon. It gets old after awhile when they talk about something that has nothing to do with the game, meanwhile, we have no idea who's in the box, never mind what team is on the PK. I miss Fred Cusick- you didn't need to watch the game on TV to know what was going on- every second he gave a detailed play by play, you knew what team was getting the penalty and who was going in the box.

I don't mind the mindless banter, but dammit, stay focused on the game FIRST, then chat afterwards during a stoppage in play.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:44 PM
  #482
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention Savard; I thought he was terrific today... best pure playmaker the Bruins have had since Oates or Janney.
I'm a pretty big Savard fan and have been since his days in Calgary. I think he'll rack up nice points in Boston. I just didn't think the line of Axe-Savard-Murray had much flow to it. They got some nice plays together around the net, but I didn't see them skating up the ice as a unit dishing off to each other very much. Not a big deal, I just didn't think it was a stellar game for that line. I was happy to see Murray doing everything except stand at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer pass. How bad did he get cut when he took a stick up high?

What do people think of York? I thought he looked pretty poor. While he may be more experienced than our phalanx of kids, I would not be happy to sit any of Alberts, Jurcina or M Stuart in favor of York. I also wasn't impressed with Dempsey, he kept missing passes to his defense partner, constantly sending it well wide of the tape, which hurts their transition game.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
  #483
BostonPC
Bleed Black & Gold
 
BostonPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lexington, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I agree. Early in this thread, I was saying I thought the refs had an agenda this afternoon. They totally killed the game, and it was both ways- not just the Bruins, but even a couple of questionable calls against the Rangers as well. They totally killed the game.

Only one call of Mara's was legit, the other two were monsters.

This is the only game that I've seen him in, so I am reserving judgement for a bit. I thought he played ok- not bad, but not great.
I do think they are calling things a little too tight....just like last year when they were trying to set a precedence early on. They eventually gave the players a little more room to play but it took a while. Mara also played in the Western Conference which allowed more contact last year, so he just needs to make the adjustment.

I hope the NHL can find a happy medium in regard to penalties or it is going to be a long season.

BostonPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
  #484
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
I thought Mara looked pretty good. He threw the best check of the game for the Bruins. He was getting involved with the puck and seemed interested. I have always thought the claims about him being too soft were overstated. He may not be a bruiser, but I think he's got a little bit of aggression in him. He's more complete than he's been getting credit for, it seems to me.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
  #485
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
You aren't going to judge Mara based on Boynton are you? Boynton was going to get traded this summer one way or another. The pending judgment has to be on Chiarelli and Gorton.
I'm no fan of Boynton myself (I don't hate him, but I'm not upset that he's gone, let's just say), BUT- Mara does have some work cut out for him.

Even the fans in Phoenix have said "good riddance" to him because of what we're seeing from him in our zone. I agree with bruins4419- I hesitate being content with his play until further in the season, but so far, I am not overly impressed. And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:51 PM
  #486
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I actually wrote to NESN about this very thing this afternoon. It gets old after awhile when they talk about something that has nothing to do with the game, meanwhile, we have no idea who's in the box, never mind what team is on the PK. I miss Fred Cusick- you didn't need to watch the game on TV to know what was going on- every second he gave a detailed play by play, you knew what team was getting the penalty and who was going in the box.

I don't mind the mindless banter, but dammit, stay focused on the game FIRST, then chat afterwards during a stoppage in play.
I love both Brick and Edwards but you are right. This isn't baseball with it's endless downtime for banter and digression. They have to take care of business first. Of course, this game was like their training camp, so they have some rust of their own no doubt and can be excused for today.
We were spoiled with Cusick. He was better at keeping up with the pace at age 75 than most guys are at 40--and there were no long TV timeouts to regroup until his last 3 or 4 years either.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:51 PM
  #487
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post
I do think they are calling things a little too tight....just like last year when they were trying to set a precedence early on. They eventually gave the players a little more room to play but it took a while. Mara also played in the Western Conference which allowed more contact last year, so he just needs to make the adjustment.

I hope the NHL can find a happy medium in regard to penalties or it is going to be a long season.
Yes, they did this last year in the preseason as well as the beginning of the season- it was brutal for the Bruins. It seemed we spent more time in the box than out for the first two months. So, yes, the refs went way overboard today with the penalties called on both teams and killed the momentum.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:52 PM
  #488
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
You aren't going to judge Mara based on Boynton are you? Boynton was going to get traded this summer one way or another. The pending judgment has to be on Chiarelli and Gorton.
Oh my gosh, no. Two different types of players needed to fill much needed voids on two different teams. I'm no rookie.

I have not mentioned the "other" defenseman's name once today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.
Thank you! And ya think? Maybe I should change my name to MaraFan and get rid of the 44.

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:53 PM
  #489
Shinny
Registered User
 
Shinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I'm a pretty big Savard fan and have been since his days in Calgary. I think he'll rack up nice points in Boston. I just didn't think the line of Axe-Savard-Murray had much flow to it. They got some nice plays together around the net, but I didn't see them skating up the ice as a unit dishing off to each other very much. Not a big deal, I just didn't think it was a stellar game for that line. I was happy to see Murray doing everything except stand at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer pass. How bad did he get cut when he took a stick up high?

What do people think of York? I thought he looked pretty poor. While he may be more experienced than our phalanx of kids, I would not be happy to sit any of Alberts, Jurcina or M Stuart in favor of York. I also wasn't impressed with Dempsey, he kept missing passes to his defense partner, constantly sending it well wide of the tape, which hurts their transition game.
I've only seen York in two pre-season games, but haven't been impressed. I know he brings a needed veteran presence and all that, but what do people that have regularly gone to training camp think of his skill level?

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:54 PM
  #490
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
I'm no fan of Boynton myself (I don't hate him, but I'm not upset that he's gone, let's just say), BUT- Mara does have some work cut out for him.

Even the fans in Phoenix have said "good riddance" to him because of what we're seeing from him in our zone. I agree with bruins4419- I hesitate being content with his play until further in the season, but so far, I am not overly impressed. And as I said, I am not a fan of Boynton's, but kind of feel Jaci's getting a bit too much grief over this a little too much today for expressing her feelings towards Mara.
It's a legitimate question, not grief. To me, it's on Chiarelli and Gorton if Mara isn't as good as Boynton.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
  #491
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
I love both Brick and Edwards but you are right. This isn't baseball with it's endless downtime for banter and digression, they have to take care of business first. Of course, this game was like their training camp, so they have some rust of their own no doubt and can be excused for today.
We were spoiled with Cusick. He was better at keeping up with the pace at age 75 than most guys are at 40--and there were no long TV timeouts to regroup until his last 3 or 4 years either.
Honestly, they do this in the regular season as well. Dale also has the tendency to do this, and today it was just too much. Brickley likes to talk TOO much, hence why I don't care for him. Call the game, and inbetween whistles, fine, chat away. Otherwise, let Jack and Dale do their jobs and let the fans know what is going on.

Sometimes, we don't always have the advantage of seeing what's happening behind the play because of camera shots, and we don't always see the penalty. It is THEIR job to let fans know what is going on. Save the other stuff for talk shows, inbetween periods and whistles and let Dale and Jack call the game as it is happening.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
  #492
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post
I do think they are calling things a little too tight....just like last year when they were trying to set a precedence early on. They eventually gave the players a little more room to play but it took a while. Mara also played in the Western Conference which allowed more contact last year, so he just needs to make the adjustment.

I hope the NHL can find a happy medium in regard to penalties or it is going to be a long season.
I think they call any penalty they can to enforce what the players see on the instructional video (or whatever it is). I think they're wrong a lot of the time, but it's pre-season. They want players to know what "should" be a penalty.

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
  #493
Shinny
Registered User
 
Shinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
From Fluto's most-excellent blog:

Quote:
All Bruins who played less than 12 minutes (Hoggan, Petr Tenkrat, Mark Mowers, Wayne Primeau, Shean Donovan, Wade Brookbank, and Yan Stastny) had to ride the stationary bikes after the game.
Anyone know if this was standard operating procedure for Sully too?

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
  #494
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,688
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
It's a legitimate question, not grief. To me, it's on Chiarelli and Gorton if Mara isn't as good as Boynton.

Sorry, Trenton, I know you probably didn't mean it the way it sounded, but Jaci's been called out a few times today for expressing her opinion on Mara, and she isn't the only one to feel this way.

Even when Thornton was traded, never once did she say anything ill about Sturm, Primeau or Stuart, but I've noticed some folks have come down on her over Mara, and just feel it is wrong. She's said several times, she will reserve judgement til later- that isn't a critism of him because of Boynton, just her opinion like the rest of us. Some of us like him, some don't care for him, and others like Jaci and I are on the fence about him.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:03 PM
  #495
Mike B.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Horrific turnover on Kessel, but he'll likely have more of those moments as a rook.
What does his being a rookie have to do with it? He fanned on a puck. It happens to everyone.

Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:03 PM
  #496
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
It's a legitimate question, not grief. To me, it's on Chiarelli and Gorton if Mara isn't as good as Boynton.
Not exactly from you, just others. It seemed whenever I mentioned Mara's name during the game, somebody was always quick to point out the trade and why I might not like him.

Good point about Chiarelli and Gorton. I hope Mara does play up to everybody's expectations.

WickedBruinsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
  #497
Blowfish
Registered User
 
Blowfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Kitts, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,278
vCash: 500
Bobby Allen

What surprises me is that Bobby Allen isn't getting more recognition.

From what I witnessed in Monction, he deserves more credit. He was was by far one of the best D-men out there. He played smart, great skating, and controlled the play very well. Why York, Dempsey, and Brookbank are still present and Allen was sent to the AHL surprises me...Hope they made the right decision, more importantly I hope Allen gets a call-up soon!

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
  #498
Nightslyr
Registered User
 
Nightslyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
For those of you complaining about the commentary of today's game, Edwards said before the game started that they weren't going to do a typical play-by-play/color analyst approach for the game. Rather, they were going to discuss the roster moves, front office and coaching moves, and what people can expect from them.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:12 PM
  #499
Westfield Eagle*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heights
Country: United States
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Kalus can't go to the AHL. It's either NHL or junior for him.
I thought it was determined he could go to Providence?

Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:13 PM
  #500
Shinny
Registered User
 
Shinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
What does his being a rookie have to do with it? He fanned on a puck. It happens to everyone.


Yes, it happens to most everyone. And when it happens it's a mistake. And rookies tend to make more mistakes than experienced guys.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.