HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

thrashers at preds, game 2, 9-30

Old
10-01-2006, 09:44 AM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
4) I made up my mind on Alexander Radulov before the game was over. Everytime he made the trek across the rink from the bench to the penalty box to serve a teammates penalty I thought to myself...what a waste. Radulov got minimal power play time and was playing on the third line even-strength. I believe he is ready to play in the NHL and could be a contributor if he sticks in the Music City to start the season, but why would we not allow him to play a more significant role as the premier forward in Milwaukee? I don't want him sitting in the press box here in Nashville and I don't want to see him playing less than 9:00 minutes either. I think we would all be best served having Radulov sent to Miwaukee to start the season and playing 20:00 minutes a night with significant power play time and first-line even strength time. The future is bright for Alex...I'm willing to let our best prospect refine his craft under the tuteledge of Claude Noel in the AHL to start the season because I believe that his first callup will be his last.
I agree. No Radulov is better than a misused Radulov and I fear that Trotz could cause more harm to his development than playing inferior competition will. And that's not necessarily a criticism of Trotz. He has pressure to win now and if his typical impatience with younger players mixes with having to win and earn a new contract mix, Radulov could be seeing a lot of healthy scratches and 4th line time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ribs View Post
lurked here and at the other board. posted a few times on the other board-first time here

Thanks for the welcome
i loves me some les savy fav.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
braindead

Yet another fun preseason night at the GEC.

My report:
I watched the D more than usual last night.

Last night made it clear to me that we were in fact watching our opening night D corp. This morning's paper confirmed it as Klein was sent down-- I'm pretty sure Zanon will stay up until Henry heals and Henry will be the 7th D-man, probably rotating with Lehtonen and spelling others.

I watched Lehtonen alot last night and, while I understand the comments above, think he is much better than is being suggested. I would call him a Zids-lite. He has sweet, sweet passes and displayed some true Zids-like break out passes. He didn't fire the puck last night but we know from that early Columbus game that he will shoot at will. My guess is Trotz and staff have asked him to focus more on puck distribution to our forwards and he has complied. His positioning and physical play were on par with and probably better than Zids.

Suter still shows his age at times but also is showing more flashes. His confidence is clearly improved and he has a nasty streak that clearly is blossoming.

Weber. He is clearly better than Suter IMO. His foot speed is much, much better than I remembered it. He is very agile and quick laterally for a guy his size. He is very poised. If he doesn't wear down over the course of a long season, he could be our best-- may already be our second best and definitely is 3rd best-- d-man.

Kimmo looked very good last night. He played excellent positional hockey as did Hamhuis, although both got spun around a couple of times. Zids also did his thing-- he wanted the puck on the last power play so badly it was killing him.

The forwards: Our passing game is unreal. PK and Sully may get an extra 10 goals from guys actually finding thm and an extra 20 assists from giving the puck to guys that can actually score. Arnott will score 10 goals if he learns to put his stick on the ice when he is parked near the goal on a PP and Sully has the puck. He missed 3 in a row on one PP last night.

Last night it seemed clear that Radu was and should go to the Ads. He wasn't a factor and.....we dont need him yet. He clearly is very good but the need isn't there so, as said above, let him go down.

Fun game. Regular season, here we come.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:52 AM
handtrick

Some thoughts regarding the game:

-40 freaking penalties.....15 of those being roughing......these ain't your Greg Johnson's Preds this year....this group will answer the bell, and nobody is gonna push them around. A refreshing scene, for Smashville. The big difference, of course, is that we have the talent to go along with the grit.

-Speaking of grit, I have always heard Suter has a mean streak, but don't remember seeing it in full bloom last year....well he has it, and is it very refreshing.
He made a terrible giveaway at the blueline last night.....but he is leading the rush, pinching down low and playing with an edge....I am liking what I am seeing.

-Lehtonen was obviously asked to play a defensive game last night. Early in the preseason, he was looking to impress by showing his offensive side. The coaches have made it clear that his resume is clear on the offensive side, but he needs to change his defensive reads to get his roster spot. He only had one shot last night, but played a solid d-game, and has apparently won the 6/7 spot......at least until Henry is off the IR....which will give the coaches a longer time to evaluate his game's evolution to the North American style. The value of his elite level of international experience, certainly is compelling for this green blueline.

-Legwand looked to be bouncing back quite well from his ACL reconstruction. He cut well....went to the corners strong....and showed his speed. He had a couple nice passes, and actually was looking for the shot on occasion. Overall, as very positive return to the ice, IMO.

-Arnott looked rusty and his timing was off....but boy, does he change the complexion of things......I am almost glad that Marleau and Thornton exposed us so bad in the playoffs to get Poile to finally address how poorly we were endowed down the middle.

-Rads did not make it impossible to send him down with his performance last night....but to be honest...Trotz never put him in the position to have that kind of game. With only 8:37 TOI [less than Hordy]......what do you expect?
It is totally weird that he has not been sent down with Klein to Milwaukee....something is a-brewin' on the trade front, IMO.....most likely just leaving options open as we make a few casts with Hartnell on the hook.....but I don't expect anything to materialize, and Rads will be sent packing on Tuesday or Wednesday, most likely.

-Vokoun, was well Vokoun. Stellar. But was was great was to see some of the saves that he made in the fake shootout. Very athletic, but also not biting on the first deke, and keeping the five-hole, pretty much closed.....has to help his shootout confidence.

-Tootoo.....just CRUNCHED Kovulchuk after the puck got caught in Vokey's pads...the whistle blew as he shook it out, the Kovy swiped it into the net.
0.5 seconds later...Kovulchuk was making a face diving into the ice, courtesy of the Kudluk......and like the consumate girlyman, Kovulchuk starts kicking at Tootoo....priceless. The march to the penalty box was all about this incident, but message to the league was clear...don't f* with Vokoun.

-Weber.....anybody see the Boulton incident? Weber was definitely insensed about it...but I didn't see how it transpired. The fight was essentially over before it started....both getting in a couple shots, before Weber lost his balance and both went to the ice with Boulton on top of Weber.
Overall Webs played a solid game.

-Sullivan....no ill-effects from the sports hernia surgery. Stick-handling clinic after clinic and an absolute beautiful pass to Dumont, who has a real nose for open ice. His speed is there.....his extra gear in evidence at times.

-Upshall.....I love his game....his speed....his tenacity....his smarts..and his hands. He can play in every situation with the skill to make things happen. I can see why Poile/Trotz expect big things from him this year. I see no way that he is on the trade block for this team. With his age and upside....to move him would be stupid, unless the return was one of which there is no way to pass up. His game is the antithesis of the passivity that we displayed last year. He gets my preseason vote for Crispy's "lunch bucket award" by the end of the season, IF he stays healthy and demostrates his body can withstand his game.

-Vasicek.....I like him more and more with each passing game. He is no Kris Beech. He has surprising speed for a big man....soft hands....sees the ice well. Granted, he doesn't use his body size as some would hope....but that isn't his game. He is defensibly responsible and I think we are going to grow to like him.

-Hordy.....rewarded for a solid game with2:52 in PP time...but humorous when he did get out there....it looked like he couldn't decide whether he was playing wing or center...spacing all off...nearly knowcking over Vasicewk at our center blueline, lol.....had a sweet near miss at the side of the net from a sweet cross ice pass. What was priceless was his laughing after the shootout....knowing that he almost had his [probably one and only ever] shootout attempt.....it would have been priceless.

Overall, a game that was a little painful to watch due to the lack of flow....but it was nice to see that we can play a gritty game and win, if called upon to do so.....

Last edited by handtrick: 10-01-2006 at 11:06 AM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:15 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Let me start by saying how much I love Sully. The guy put on a clinic last night with stickhandling and his move to pass the puck behind the net to himself and then slip a backhand pass across the slot to dumont was a thing of beauty!

Overall, one thing I noticed is how much better we are at puck control and overall moving the puck. Sure, we were rusty at times but once everyone gels this is going to be a damn good team.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Radio stated that Boulton immeadiately started into Weber after an open-ice hit, not giving him a chance at a fair fight, even though Weber did try and oblige. This is why Boulton was given the instigator.

10-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The Radio stated that Boulton immeadiately started into Weber after an open-ice hit, not giving him a chance at a fair fight, even though Weber did try and oblige. This is why Boulton was given the instigator.
Yeah, Weber threw a hipcheck on Boulton right at the door to our penalty box and then started skating back into the play only to turn back to Boulton and see him drop his gloves and throw a couple punches before Weber could react.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
What is it about the Thrashers that just exudes classlessness. It's one thing to hate a team because they are physical or they are good. But it seems that the teams that hate the Thrashers (all of the SE, TO, and a few others) all hate the Thrashers because when they go up 3-0, they have to bench all their starters for fear that Hartley will send in the goons.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What is it about the Thrashers that just exudes classlessness. It's one thing to hate a team because they are physical or they are good. But it seems that the teams that hate the Thrashers (all of the SE, TO, and a few others) all hate the Thrashers because when they go up 3-0, they have to bench all their starters for fear that Hartley will send in the goons.
Its primarily Hartley's coaching philosphy. This is how he runs teams. He did it in Colorado, even with Joe Sakic as the captain. He is doing it now with a group that has much more volatile personalities.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 03:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
He is doing it now with a group that has much more volatile personalities.
And much less overall talent, which means many more opportunities for his true colors to shine through.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
No Matchups

Quote:
And much less overall talent, which means many more opportunities for his true colors to shine through.
at least it isnt our problem this season, although I really wanted to see AO again.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
What is it about the Thrashers that just exudes classlessness.
It is too bad they don't just whine to the refs when they are getting cheapshotted.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
The best part of the game was when Atlanta had 6 players in the box. From a Nashville standpoint, it was funny.

Yeah, Weber took a sucker punch after checking Boulton in the boards. But I love how mean Weber gets out there. He looks like he's relaxed out there, knowing he's more than likely not going to be sent down at all this year. He looks even better than last year. And Suter looks better than last year, but still making an occassional mistake.

In the Tennessean today Hartley said he didn't see Kovy kick Tootoo. Why lie? Then he said it was the 2nd nite that Tootoo was running the ATL players. Pot, Kettle.

One reason Radulov didn't have much ice time is that he stayed in the penalty box all night serving the misconducts for players. He wasn't a huge factor, but he did have some good shifts out there. Nice passes and almost got a goal. He was on the radio after the game and he said that whatever the coaches want him to do, he'll do it because he knows we have so many good vets here and that he will develop in Mil. and be back here.

Legwand looked good. His skating looked almost back to normal. Nice goal, too. Just walked in around ATL and put it right in.

Vokoun looked great. After he let in the first shootout goal, he stopped going for the deke and stayed with the shooter.

Sully just made some ATL player look silly. He held that puck around the top of the circle making moves for about 10 seconds before getting a great pass off.

Game def. got dirty near the end. It seemed like every time someone checked someone, they got mad and started punching.

I liked the way we battled back after getting down a little in the first. Smithson's goal was just hardwork and luck. One hand on the stick and he just jabbed at the puck and it bounced over Hedberg's shoulder. That got us going, then Hartnell not quitting and getting that goal with 1.9 seconds left in the period.

Just get Paul Kariya back out there and we'll have even more offense. Boy we really do have 3 real scoring lines. Even our 4th can score. It's kind of scary to really see how good we can be. Scary in a good way, like exciting scary.

I love our team. We look ready.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote