HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TRADE: Ribs Gone, Habs Get Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohabsfan View Post
How many years are left on Janne's deal?
It ends at the end of this season

Old
Tricolore#20

I am absolutely floored by this. Even though we all questioned Ribeiro over various aspects of his game, both he and Plekanec gave us some good depth in the centre spot, behind Koivu. Now without Ribeiro, our centre ice looks very thin. I think some of the Ribeiro bashers won this battle, and will realize what Ribeiro actually brought to this team.

Old
HomaridII

Analysis of the trade by Spector. Pretty accurate.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Spector

Old
09-30-2006, 07:20 PM
habgab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
YES

I have been waiting for this day since that famous episode against Boston in the playoffs. That was an embarrasing day as a Habs fan and I wanted to get rid of this loser ever since. He was SLOW, SOFT, and had no heart.
Good Riddance Mikey!

IN BOB WE TRUST!!
Yes, and the negative attitude - he took a strip off Ryder last year. That may work for someone who has something to contribute himself, but Ribeiro was a floater - showed up when he wanted. Lots of skill, but seemed to think it was his right to play for the Habs.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
some people here still dont get it .

i said RIBS came to camp thinking he had a job secured .thinking he didnt have to compete for his job .

Carbo benched his #SS this pre season for being lazy .
that was the final straw. Thomas Plekanec showed much better work ethic that RIBS period !

Carbo says see ya
When was he benched?... He showed better work ethic than he did last year and he was doing quite well during the pre-season. In the PC, Bob said that he never had a problem with Ribs and he was a passionate player who always tried to make his team win. Say what you will but contrary to most kids on the team Ribs actually wanted to be here...Hand some of these guys 5m$/year contracts and they're gone.

(I don't want to sound like too big of a fan boy cuz I think this trade can/will be very benificial, I'm only saying that Ribs wasn't as bad as you stated in the pre-season.)

Old
09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Artyukhin*

what do you guys think Riberios value was around the leauge?
the habs been trying to deal him since last year .

Jason Allison had 66 pts last year cant get a job .

my prediction is and still is within 2 years Riberio is not playing in the NHL

Old
09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
ohiohabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
It ends at the end of this season
Ok..I don't want to get stuck with 2.5 next year.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:23 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Alison is slower then Ribeiro...no thanks. He wouldn't be able to follow Samsonov.

I don't expect Gainey to make another move to get a center...

Last edited by CH Wizard: 09-30-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old
09-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Habbadasher

Winning teams don't players like Ribiero as their second line centre. While the return is not great, neither was what we sent over. Both teams got players with potential, but also with serious flaws.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:25 PM
BJCOLLINS

for those who have not seen Janne Niinimaa at 31 he has been an NHL all star who can log lots of mins..play pp/pk, good passer, hard shot, can QB pp.......he was the Oilers #1 D for many years moved from Edmonton to NYI in 03, a trade he protested (who would blame him going to that circus). He has not played top 4 since leaving the Oilers. The lock out year hurt him and not having a defined role at the gong show(NYI) didn't help.

Being back in Canada and playing with his close friend Saku should help.

Anyone see Streit play lately............we need help fast.

Ribs, ba bye.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Beffcake

I think Montreal will miss Ribs quick hands...im not to sure about this trade..but then again they did get a big good D-man.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I'm disappointed with the return on this trade. It weakens the Habs in the short term, but I feel in the long run it makes Montreal a better team. I never felt that Montreal could go deep into the playoffs with Mike Ribeiro as their #2 centre. He was just unwilling or unable to be effective in the playoffs. He's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be, but I feel he would have always been a liability in the post season.
My thoughts exactly. Ribs is fine during the season, but (much like Theo) I never felt he would deliver us to the promise land come post-season.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:27 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Bad trade for Montreal. We get an even softer player, and fail to fill our needs up front with any sort of size, or grit.

I hated Ribs, but player for player we were fleeced on this one. Ribs will thrive with the offense in Dallas, Montreal gets a #5 or 6 dman in return.

Bob Gainey is losing his mind. First Traverse, now this.
i agree , but i hope that this isn't the last move of Gainey . There is still 1 or 2 missing piece(s) .

I suppose that he's working to get a first center , so that way Saku will be the second liner . I read a lot of posts about Plekanec being ready to centering the second line ; it's completly crazy .The guy have a career of 9 goals and around +-30 points , and you are willing to give him the second role ( and the first one , once Saku is going to be injured )

Old
09-30-2006, 07:28 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
for those who have not seen Janne Niinimaa at 31 he has been an NHL all star who can log lots of mins..play pp/pk, good passer, hard shot, can QB pp.......he was the Oilers #1 D for many years moved from Edmonton to NYI in 03, a trade he protested (who would blame him going to that circus). He has not played top 4 since leaving the Oilers. The lock out year hurt him and not having a defined role at the gong show(NYI) didn't help.

Ribs, ba bye.
plus theres lots of good fishing spots near montreal someone said janne is a country boy at heart and loved edmonton cause he could go fishing lol

Old
09-30-2006, 07:29 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That Ribs is a goner, is a no-brainer. I have a lot of problems with the return though...
Ribs attitude and one dimensional play was not going to bring in anything better unless it was packaged, even then the other team may not want him in the package.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Shabutie

If Grabo comes back from Re-Hab in the next 2-3 weeks and has a good 2 months in the AHL, he might be a good replacement for Ribs (if pleks or bonk isn't of course). As we all know he's good great hands, a better shot than ribs and better speed. Defensively...neither are attractive but I believe (from what I've read) Grabo is decent in the corners and seemingly plays a gritty game.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:31 PM
mcphee

The more I think about it, I believe Gainey's chief concern was defensive depth. He didn't want a situation where Bouillon's out, Souray's hurting and watching Markov limp off. I doubt he's a huge fan of JN, but Gainey got what I suspect he wanted, a guy with only a year left on his deal. So, he preferred defensive depth, and really that's all JN is, seeing he could have been had for less.

My guess is that they really didn't want Ribeiro, as well as Dallas not wanting JN. Well, 'if you want us to take your guy, you have to take our guy'. Gainey chose some defensive depth over Ribs at C.

Whenever we see these deals, they tell us something. This tells us Ribeiro was of no value in a package to acquire a desired player. It tells us Gainey worries more about having to play Hamilton depth defenseman than he does being thin at C.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post

Ribs, ba bye.
My concern for Niinimaa has been that he has been in decline since he got traded from the Oilers. I watched Niinimaa closely while he was with the Oilers, since I live here, but since he left, he has not been the same player. He was dropped from the 2004 World Cup team, and wasn't included on the 2006 Turin team. I think Niinimaa could have been had off waivers, if the Stars didn't deal him by then.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The more I think about it, I believe Gainey's chief concern was defensive depth. He didn't want a situation where Bouillon's out, Souray's hurting and watching Markov limp off. I doubt he's a huge fan of JN, but Gainey got what I suspect he wanted, a guy with only a year left on his deal. So, he preferred defensive depth, and really that's all JN is, seeing he could have been had for less.

My guess is that they really didn't want Ribeiro, as well as Dallas not wanting JN. Well, 'if you want us to take your guy, you have to take our guy'. Gainey chose some defensive depth over Ribs at C.

Whenever we see these deals, they tell us something. This tells us Ribeiro was of no value in a package to acquire a desired player. It tells us Gainey worries more about having to play Hamilton depth defenseman than he does being thin at C.
I think it also means that he was happy with Pleks and with Bonk's resurgence in the playoffs and now in the preseason.

And he knows we need more puck movers on defense. In this case he sacrifices defense (Niinimaa is horrible in his own end when he's not interested, which is often) for a puck mover.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:36 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'm just wondering...Phil, you mentionned that Gainey said Grabovski's name? Maybe they've got plans for him in case Plekanec or Bonk don't fill the needs for a 2nd/3rd line centerman? This trade brings so many questions...but if Janne can re-gain his form then imo it was a great deal for both teams.
he did mention grabs when asked if this deal would lead to further trades he said no we have lots of players with us already that can step up to play center grabs pleks bonk murray it seemed like gainey liked what he saw from grabs

Old
09-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I don't know how to feel about this trade...I like Ribs and I think he's got elite playmaking ability...but last season, I sorta gave up on the idea of him ever being anything more than an OK second line center. He's getting older...I don't see him improving significantly. He's just not fast enough, and even tho' he is STRONGER than he was previously, he's not nearly strong enough. So I'm sad to see him leave, but I don't think it's that big a deal, because I believe he can be replaced...we have tremendous forward depth, including many guys who can play as a center (Koivu, Plekanec, Bonk, Begin, Higgins, Johnson...hell even Kovalev).

My issue is that I don't get why he was traded for Niinimaa (man is that name gonna get butchered by fans lol). He's clearly not the same player he was previously. I don't see him as being a better defenceman than Streit. Our D is our weakness, but I just don't feel like Niinimaa improves our D in anyway...especially once Cote and Bouillon come back. Maybe another trade is going down shortly...who knows.

I'm guessing the Habs tried to move a more marketable forward to acquire a better defenceman, but the right trade just wasn't out there...so we'll have to settle for Niinimaa I guess.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
David_99

People say this means Souray is out, which I don't see because we need all the D we can get. But if a D were leaving to get a centre, what if it were Rivet? Koivu is good friends with JN, what better way to get on Koivu's good side then to bring an old buddy. Just a thought. Though I doubt we trade one of our D before Bouillon comes back anyway.

Ribs is gone! It's the exact opposite feeling I had when Muller was traded.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
My concern for Niinimaa has been that he has been in decline since he got traded from the Oilers. I watched Niinimaa closely while he was with the Oilers, since I live here, but since he left, he has not been the same player. He was dropped from the 2004 World Cup team, and wasn't included on the 2006 Turin team. I think Niinimaa could have been had off waivers, if the Stars didn't deal him by then.
Cap world, if you took him off waivers, you'd need to clear space. Ribs clears space.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
MM425

This is cause for a dancing bannana man!

I love it... Niinimaa, while over-paied and never quite reached his peak, is still a legitimate NHL defenseman with potential top 4 skills... wayyy more than I ever thought the Habs would land for Ribs.

No doubt in my mind the habs improve in this deal... no doubt at all.

When healthy, look at the habs D:

Markov- Rivet
Sourray- Komi
Dandenault- Niinimaa/Boullion

Thats deep... damn deep!

Last edited by MM425: 09-30-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old
09-30-2006, 07:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
People say this means Souray is out, which I don't see because we need all the D we can get. But if a D were leaving to get a centre, what if it were Rivet? Koivu is good friends with JN, what better way to get on Koivu's good side then to bring an old buddy. Just a thought. Though I doubt we trade one of our D before Bouillon comes back anyway.

Ribs is gone! It's the exact opposite feeling I had when Muller was traded.
It does feel good, doesn't it...

Have to feel for Ribs though. He's a hometown kid and that was his dream. And now he has to live in DALLAS to top it off. Dallas is an awful, hideous place with awful people. At least he'll get privacy though. Nobody will have a clue who he is.

Closed Thread