HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Ribs Gone, Habs Get Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2006, 08:35 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Habs win 6-5

Old
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
3 Stars

1) Kovy
2) Samsonov
3) Plekanec

Old
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Thinking out loud here...Markov, Souray, Niinimaa, Rivet, Dandenault, Komisarek, Streit, Traverse...that's already 8 D on the roster as we speak...

Firstly, do you think we'll keep 8 D on the roster? Will we send Traverse down and call up a forward from Hamilton (like Kostitsyn)? Will we go with a 22-man roster? I don't see why we need 8 D on the roster. I'm hoping Kostitsyn is heading to Montreal to start the season.

And what happens when Cote and Bouillon are ready to come back? We have 10 defencemen that could play...the easy thing is to assume that we let Traverse go once one of them returns from injury...we're down to 9. Let's say Cote stays in Hamilton...assuming everybody's healthy, that leaves us with 8 guys...Markov, Souray, Niinimaa, Rivet, Dandenault, Komisarek, Streit, Bouillon...who from that list do you leave in the pressbox?

I don't know...I get the feeling that there's another trade coming at some point...
I think they'll keep Downey. If an offensive guy gets hurt for a longer stretch of time, we could see Kostitsyn again (if he performs in Hamilton and doesn't go to sleep).

Streit will go down when Bouillon returns I would assume. Unless they put Niinimaa on waivers when Bouillon comes back to save salary and keep Streit. But Streit was awful in preseason in his own end.

Traverse and Cote go to Hamilton.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
jcpenny

Good deal IMO. Not because of what we got in return but more because of what we got rid of. Ribeiro is a very skilled forward but hes slow, lacks grit and hes weak. As we noticed in the past couple of years, you simply dont win with Ribeiros on your team. So those who dont like the deal need to keep this in mind.

As for Niniima, i used to like him a lot in the past and i dont know what happened to his game that made him move many times in the past couple of years. However i dont care about what people say, hes still better than Streit so in this case, it makes our defense better.

BTW Niniima is a career +56, he must be good at something...

Old
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfire View Post
50-60 point scorer whos young, for a hasbeen defensemen carrying a big contract. I think you guys lost this one.
I actually feel the same way. The Habs are now fully stocked with depth defencemen. With Bouillon, Streit and Niinimaa, the Habs have over 5 million committed to its 6th and 7th (and 8th) defencemen. It's a little puzzling.

I still don't know who's going to be the 2nd center. I'm totally unconvinced that Higgins and Johnson are options. It has to be between Plekanec and Bonk, and I don't see how moving them around really creates a spot for Kostitsyn. And what happens when Koivu gets injured?

It's just a weird deal that could turn out well or not at all. Unless there's more to come, I just don't get it for now.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I actually feel the same way. The Habs are now fully stocked with depth defencemen. With Bouillon, Streit and Niinimaa, the Habs have over 5 million committed to its 6th and 7th (and 8th) defencemen. It's a little puzzling.

I still don't know who's going to be the 2nd center. I'm totally unconvinced that Higgins and Johnson are options. It has to be between Plekanec and Bonk, and I don't see how moving them around really creates a spot for Kostitsyn. And what happens when Koivu gets injured?

It's just a weird deal that could turn out well or not at all. Unless there's more to come, I just don't get it for now.
If Koivu goes down, we're screwed anyway so it doesn't really matter...

but they can move Pleks and Bonk up if it's a short-term injury, give the third line job to Johnson. Begin or Murray will center the fourth line.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:41 PM
mcphee

[QUOTE=turnbuckle;6620945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

Which has nothing to do with playing on a scoring line does it?

This could well be their centers to start the season:

Modano
Ribs
Halpern
Stefan

Stu on the wing, taking key faceoffs if he likes, but mostly playing the wing now that they have Halpern (or put Halpern on the wing)...same with Lindros.

Ribs is the only potential center on the Stars to score 55+ points other than Modano in the past five years, and he did it twice.
I believe Barnes has spent most of his time on the W in Dallas, though he takes key faceoffs. I believe Lindros has been specific about playing C. Something about getting blindsided when playing the W. I post this but I seem to remember him playing some W in Toronto.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:41 PM
turnbuckle*

They may keep Traverse around for awhile since the blueline is a little banged up or perhaps go with a 22-man roster to start the season. Counts as less against the cap.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:42 PM
BJCOLLINS

the play by play guys at the game just said the Habs are a better team right now after the trade even without JN........

Old
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I think they'll keep Downey. If an offensive guy gets hurt for a longer stretch of time, we could see Kostitsyn again (if he performs in Hamilton and doesn't go to sleep).

Traverse and Streit will go down when Bouillon returns I would assume. Unless they put Niinimaa on waivers when Bouillon comes back to save salary and keep Streit. But Streit was awful in preseason in his own end.

Cote goes to Hamilton.
Right now, we have 13 forwards, 8 defencemen, 2 goalies...23 players. I'm not saying the Habs won't keep Downey; we can have 14 forwards. I'm suggesting that the Habs start with 7 defencemen (send Traverse packing), and call Kostitsyn up. I'd rather see him playing part time in Montreal than full time in Hamilton. I suspect, with time, he'll eventually work his way into becoming a full time player during the season.

Old
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Best
Day
Ever
Oh I second this!

Old
09-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
but they can move Pleks and Bonk up if it's a short-term injury, give the third line job to Johnson. Begin or Murray will center the fourth line.
agreed

Old
09-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Arrrgh. Now we won't have these arguments about Ribs that just go 'round in circles!

We'll also never get to see Plekanec usurp Ribs as 2nd line center. Ah well.

Best of luck to him. It was the body check last game that made Dallas desperate to get him

Old
09-30-2006, 08:52 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Thats where Grabovsky comes in...

Old
09-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

You traded one cancer for another. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?p=150338
And that was just 14 games into the season.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:54 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I don't know about that...

Old
09-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
You traded one cancer for another. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?p=150338
If I was playing for the Isles, I'd probably be in an altercation with a different teamate every other practice/game.

Old
09-30-2006, 08:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Yes, but calling out a player could also be a compliment. You don't call out a player unless the rest of the team will take notice and start working hard. Bowman used to do that all the time to P. Mahovlich, Robinson and Savard and Shutt.

But you have to do it to a guy who can handle it.

Why did it get in the papers, that's the other question.

The thing that worries me is that Niinimaa turns the puck over. I don't want to see another Brisebois!

Old
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Agree JC, I was gooing to say the same thing

Old
09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Bouchard

I like the trade, Habs needed defense...Gainey provides yet again.

BOB GAINEY!!!!!

Old
09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Dynasty

All I have to say is about time and I'm lovin' it!

Old
09-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
In 1 year maybe, not sure I was convinced from what I've seen so far. Not strong enough I believe. And since I don't think Kosty will be a full-tim NHL'er this year, for Grabo to stay with the Dogs all year might be just enough to give a lot of confidence in Kosty in order, maybe, for both to make it as soon as next year.

Old
09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
tinyzombies

Can't wait until Lapierre is ready. I want to see him next to Begin.

Old
09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Geli7

NYI fan here.

Don't know much about Ribeiro, but Janne is going to lose you many games. He has skill, but is erratic, over aggressive (jumps in when he shouldn't), and will lead your defenseman in penalties in this new NHL of ours.

Many of you have made fun of the Isles in your posts...so be it. But keep this in mind. He was among the worst of our defensman. And after he was traded to Dallas, he could barely crack that lineup.

Best of luck, but this does nothing for you guys IMO/

Old
09-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
If I was playing for the Isles, I'd probably be in an altercation with a different teamate every other practice/game.
You're a well paid professional, doesn't matter where you play. When things get tough, you're still counted on to be a pro.

Closed Thread