HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Ribs Gone, Habs Get Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Live Forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You just got new 'Brisebois' on your team. Niinimaa is good offensively, but he makes bad passes quite many times.
Solution to that problem: We are not forced to give him Brisebois-type minutes. Scary thing is that Breezeby is on your first defensive unit while Niinimaa will be our 7th or 8th d-man. Good luck with Theo and Breezeby Av fan!

Old
10-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Russeltown

ROFL, a friend of mine called me.

He told me that Gainey traded for Ninimaa when he saw Traverse on ice... He was so exaspered that he had to trade for an other d-man

Old
10-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
Solution to that problem: We are not forced to give him Brisebois-type minutes. Scary thing is that Breezeby is on your first defensive unit while Niinimaa will be our 7th or 8th d-man. Good luck with Theo and Breezeby Av fan!
Why so? Clark-Skrastins will be the first unit. After that Klee-Liles, first 5-6 games and when Leopold comes back it's Liles-Leopold. I don't see Brisebois cracking our top-4, but yeah. He's good bottom pairing defenseman.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Makel

As an Islander fan, I'm so sorry for you guys.

Ninnima is not only probably going to be one of your worst defenseman, he is a complete liability on the ice.

Not only can he NOT complete a cross ice pass, his inability to use both feet in a coherent matter is scary.

Good luck, you're going to need ALL of it.

Ask Dallas fans, he was much worse there.

You'll regret this trade, I PROMISE you that. Janne lost his game 4 years ago. He is an awful defenseman who will probably use Montreal as his last stop.

I give it three months before he's on waivers. AWFUL.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makel View Post

Ninnima is not only probably going to be one of your worst defenseman, he is a complete liability on the ice.

Not only can he NOT complete a cross ice pass, his inability to use both feet in a coherent matter is scary.

You'll regret this trade, I PROMISE you that. Janne lost his game 4 years ago. He is an awful defenseman who will probably use Montreal as his last stop.

i am amazed he lost his game for years ago. The season prior to the lockout, he played 82 games, put up 28 points, and was +12. He couldn't of been that bad to have those stats on average Islander teams.

He was bad last year, fine, but so were many NHLers coming back from the lockout. I am willing to give him a chance, just to have Ribeiro gone from this team.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:44 AM
!nkubus

I was at the game tonight, and when they announced the trade, the cheering was so lound that we couldn't hear who was the d-man.

Even though if some people don't like the trade, I think MTL got the best out of it.

Ribs is coward, Ribs is soft, Ribs is slow. And we got a Stable Experienced D-man.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:46 AM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
i am amazed he lost his game for years ago. The season prior to the lockout, he played 82 games, put up 28 points, and was +12. He couldn't of been that bad to have those stats on average Islander teams.

He was bad last year, fine, but so were many NHLers coming back from the lockout. I am willing to give him a chance, just to have Ribeiro gone from this team.
All Islanders fans say the same things about him. He was a giveaway machine. He was paired with guys like Aucoin and Hamerlik (before Hamerlik's knee issues slowed him down). That probably helped his plus/minus rating out. They don't keep good giveaway/takeaway stats for the NHL... so you have to watch them play to find out.

Kevin Lowe knew he had lost confidence, and he dealt him before a lot of people recognized it. He's too far removed from his best play. We got an overpriced contract (signed by the brilliant Milbury/Wang combo) to fill in while Bouillon is out, when we have a perfectly capable fill-in with Streit.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:48 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makel View Post

I dont really mind that....of course I would have liked to get something else out of Ribeiro. But just the fact that he's been moved helps this team fit the peices of the puzzle up front in a much better way.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:59 AM
LouisJCloutier

I really don't like that trade. We didn't need Ribs that much, but I don't think that Niinima is a good acquisition. We have plenty of guys that can be our 6th-7th defenseman. And we have to pay him 2,5 millions ?????

We should have trade Ribeiro and a prospect for a real good defenseman. I was hoping that Bob would try to get someone like Aucoin.

Anyway, hope Niinima will prove me wrong.

Old
10-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
I really don't like that trade. We didn't need Ribs that much, but I don't think that Niinima is a good acquisition. We have plenty of guys that can be our 6th-7th defenseman. And we have to pay him 2,5 millions ?????

We should have trade Ribeiro and a prospect for a real good defenseman. I was hoping that Bob would try to get someone like Aucoin.

Anyway, hope Niinima will prove me wrong.
I'd rather have Niinima at 2.5 than Aucoin at 4m$. They both did horrible last season, but I think Niinimaa will probably bounce back seeing as he is in one of the most hockey heavy cities in the world.

Old
10-01-2006, 01:17 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'd rather have Niinima at 2.5 than Aucoin at 4m$. They both did horrible last season, but I think Niinimaa will probably bounce back seeing as he is in one of the most hockey heavy cities in the world.
The difference between the two is that Aucoin was hurt for most, if not all, of last season. If he can stay healthy this season, he'll be worth $4m and then some.

Ninny-ma, on the other hand, keeps himself in perfect physical condition and rarely gets hurt or misses a game. This is not a good thing though, because when he's on the ice, he's doing one of three things:
  • Turning the puck over
  • Missing his assignment
  • Taking the same unnecessary hooking and holding penalties over and over and looking baffled/complaining to the ref every time

From what I've seen/read about Ribiero, just getting rid of him is addition by subtraction, but with bringing in Yanni, BG has essentially moved a whipping boy from forward to defense. Give it a few weeks, you guys are gonna LOVE him!

Old
10-01-2006, 01:20 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1sles View Post
The difference between the two is that Aucoin was hurt for most, if not all, of last season. If he can stay healthy this season, he'll be worth $4m and then some.

Ninny-ma, on the other hand, keeps himself in perfect physical condition and rarely gets hurt or misses a game. This is not a good thing though, because when he's on the ice, he's doing one of three things:
  • Turning the puck over
  • Missing his assignment
  • Taking the same unnecessary hooking and holding penalties over and over and looking baffled/complaining to the ref every time

From what I've seen/read about Ribiero, just getting rid of him is addition by subtraction, but with bringing in Yanni, BG has essentially moved a whipping boy from forward to defense. Give it a few weeks, you guys are gonna LOVE him!

from what I heard he battled through an ankle injury all of last season and could barley walk!

Old
10-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

Ninny-ma, on the other hand, keeps himself in perfect physical condition and rarely gets hurt or misses a game.

actually he your right he rarely missed a game but your wrong he plays hurt unlike alot of guys in the leauge.

again over the summer he got his ankle fixed . now normally when that happens there is a problem correct?

lets give him a chance healthy this year then come over and tell us why we made a mistake .

Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
from what I heard he battled through an ankle injury all of last season and could barley walk!
Personally I don't buy into all of that...Ryder's bad season was blamed on an injury, same with Bonk's and now Niinimaa? It seems as though everytime a Hab has a bad season it's because of an injury that wasn't brought to attention till the end of the season... I find it rather funny.

As for Niinimaa, I won't count him out till he plays, but I don't see him being anything more than a 7th D when Cube is back.

Old
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Sorry, sounds like horseapples. I believe he had an ankle sprain late in the season with Dallas, but the only physical problems he showed during his time with the Islanders were between his ears.

Old
10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

Exactly.

Old
10-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Guy Caballero

This is a chemistry move, part of a larger trend that began last season. Look at the guys Gainey has dumped since the end of the lockout:

Theodore
Zednik
Bulis
Dagenais
Sundstrom
Ribeiro

What do these guys have in common? Soft and/or bad attitudes (with the exception of Zednik, perhaps, but in that case it was a simple upgrade). If we have to downgrade slightly to change the chemistry, that's fine by me. Most of the time, it's not the best team on paper that wins the Cup; it's the team with the best chemistry. And Ribs out + Niniima as an experienced depth defenseman = improved chemistry, IMO.

By the way, there are three pages of comments about the trade on the Bruins board. Most of them are to express their disappointment that their most hated player is no longer a Hab.

Last edited by Guy Caballero: 10-01-2006 at 01:51 AM.
Old
10-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Montrealer

Found out right before the poker game I played tonight... then of course one of my coworkers' friends is all laughing it up like a hyena so I try to not get up and drill him (and he's a big guy, so even if I'm a big guy it probably would have been a big mistake)

I mean, I'm all for the team improving; I love the Habs more than any one player, I mean any... but is this improvement? Maybe. I just hope to God that we're getting the Niinimaa from Edmonton, and not the one that TSN says (as flaws)

"Is guilty of defensive brain cramps in his own zone. Has never put up numbers to match his potential. He's a player in sharp decline in all aspects of the game."

The bashers are all having a ball tonight, but all I care about is how the Habs do this year. If this move means we're better, then great. If not... well.......

I don't know who I'm going to choose as an avatar. Maybe the next whipping boy himself, Niinimaa. Why not suffer constantly?

Old
10-01-2006, 02:54 AM
resist-

Carbo know what he is getting for Ribeiro

Just one thought here, wasn't Carbo working for the Stars at the beginning of the last season ? I guess he knows what kind of player Niimimaa is... I'm pretty sure there a reason to get this D, other to get rid of Ribeiro . Looks like we'll have to see him play this season to make a clear judgement of the trade.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi View Post
thought so as well, why all the hate for riberio?
Ribeiro...why the hate? 'Cause he was always a cocky, arrogant pr$%k. 150 lbs? That's for soccer (football). He always took his time to get back to the bench like a bit%^ (like he owned the world). He was/will always be a slacker.

And that annoying, useless, cocky face of his...it didn't deserve to be wearing a Habs jersey. He was ruining the Habs legacy. 24 Cups and counting...

Higgins, Komisarek, Latendresse, Chipchura, Price...they will continue to honour the HABS legacy with class...

Old
10-01-2006, 04:26 AM
Marksman

WOW! Just spit my morning coffee reading TSN.ca headlines. I love this trade, it has so many things going for my way - heres my take after browsing through this thread.

Ribeiro

We got rid of player who admittedly was my least favourite member of the Habs team for a number of reasons. My favourite young player Plekanec will be most likely candidate taking his spot - he seems to have had great start at it with Sammy and Kovy. The move should have been no surprice to anyone, it was long over due, the writings have been on the wall since last April.

Niinimaa

He seems a bit of a gamble, but I thin this is how Gainey calculated it. Even if he fails he will still provide us some defensive depth incase Bouillon needs even more time or Souray gets hurt again, which is almost guaranteed to happen at some point. And we're of the hook with him in July 1st. On the other hand if this proves to be a steal, this could be upgrade to our top four - and Niinimaa could be easier to re-sign with Koivu already on the team.

I find the Brisebois remarks little off here. Sure Janne tries little too difficult passes with the puck, but this is the case with many puck moving defencemen who arent Lidström Hes a lot more physical character than Brisebois and except for the ankle problems he suffered last seasons hes been durable in it aswell. Hes had some run ins with coaches Stirling and Raimo Summanen of Finnish national team (which was the main reason for he leaving the team). I see Gainey is just the right man for putting him back to groove, as he once did even Brisebois.

Other details

This move adds 600k on Habs payroll ... which is just about compensated up for draft pick swap, so its a wash. Traverse will be sent back to Sharks/Bulldogs via waivers and educated guess is Kostitsyn will be called back very soon.

My added personal angle:

Soon Janne (who has his off season home not so far where I live) has played for all four of my favourite hockey teams: Finnish National team, Kärpät, Montreal and Dallas. Couple things you must know about him. Hes a heavy metal man music allright - he actually owns this Club Teatria place here Oulu, an old slaughter house turned into heavy metal club http://www.teatria.com/eng/. Other thing is he likes to go river fly-fishing. I hope there are better opportunities for that activity in Quebec than in Long Island or Texas(?)

Last edited by Marksman: 10-01-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old
10-01-2006, 05:18 AM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Ribeiro...why the hate? 'Cause he was always a cocky, arrogant pr$%k. 150 lbs? That's for soccer (football). He always took his time to get back to the bench like a bit%^ (like he owned the world). He was/will always be a slacker.

And that annoying, useless, cocky face of his...it didn't deserve to be wearing a Habs jersey. He was ruining the Habs legacy. 24 Cups and counting...

Higgins, Komisarek, Latendresse, Chipchura, Price...they will continue to honour the HABS legacy with class...
Couldn't of said it better myself

Old
10-01-2006, 06:59 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

On a side note, he was the best player involved in this trade.
As a reward you get an overpaid and unnecessary defender for your team.
And if Niinimaa sees PP time in place for Streit.. that would make this trade even worse.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
beaarthur

Congrats Habs! If they were my team I'd be so happy to be rid of Ribiero.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

To all the fans of other teams coming to tell us how much this guy is bad, I've got 2 words for you: We'll see.

Closed Thread