HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal makes BIZARRO trade...

Old
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Montreal makes BIZARRO trade...

Sending talented young center Mike Ribiero and a 6th to DALLAS for Janne Nniinniimmaa (spelling a joke on purpose)

After being a healthy scratch on the Island, and then again in Dallas, you would think that Montreal would have felt the "Buyer Beware" tag steaming up the phone lines. Ribiero had an "off" year compared to his stats pre-lockout, but he still had 51 points and was fourth on the team in scoring. He joins a Dallas team that already has some serious strength up the middle (Barnes, Halpern, Lindros, Modano, Ott, Stefan)... and one has to wonder if there are a flurry of deals to come in the days prior to the opening of the season...

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

I never can understand the moves Montreal makes.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Sending talented young center Mike Ribiero and a 6th to DALLAS for Janne Nniinniimmaa (spelling a joke on purpose)

After being a healthy scratch on the Island, and then again in Dallas, you would think that Montreal would have felt the "Buyer Beware" tag steaming up the phone lines. Ribiero had an "off" year compared to his stats pre-lockout, but he still had 51 points and was fourth on the team in scoring. He joins a Dallas team that already has some serious strength up the middle (Barnes, Halpern, Lindros, Modano, Ott, Stefan)... and one has to wonder if there are a flurry of deals to come in the days prior to the opening of the season...

Hab fans don't seem to be that remorseful.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Hab fans don't seem to be that remorseful.
I get that, and I haven't sat and poured through the reaction of the Habs fans, but one would think they could have done better than they did... not only did they get a suspect, but they lost 5 years in age too... very odd deal. No matter what the fans say. Carbonneau must have owed Dallas something

Old
09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie018 View Post
I never can understand the moves Montreal makes.
Mike Johnson for a fourth rounder was pretty damn nice.

09-30-2006, 09:58 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I get that, and I haven't sat and poured through the reaction of the Habs fans, but one would think they could have done better than they did... not only did they get a suspect, but they lost 5 years in age too... very odd deal. No matter what the fans say. Carbonneau must have owed Dallas something
Someone on the main board claimed that Niinimma and Koivu are pals...maybe that factored into it.

EDIT: And in honour of this move-from the main NHL board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw8ZZT8tOU

Old
09-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Mxpunk

MTL probably also needed a defenseman with Bouillon out till Dec., and Souray's injury status up in the air...

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 10:17 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
MTL probably also needed a defenseman with Bouillon out till Dec., and Souray's injury status up in the air...

Well yeah, but it wouldn't have cost a 26 year old 50 point guy to sign a body like Jason Woolley for free... (I know that's a stretch, but JANNE NIINIIMA?????)

Old
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

EDIT: And in honour of this move-from the main NHL board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw8ZZT8tOU
Too ****ing funny.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 10:43 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Well, with Ribeiro in Dallas... at least another team in our division has a player that's hated pretty much throughout the league. Maybe not on an Avery level, but still...

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 11:49 PM
riseandfall9

I would love to see Ryder or Souray in a Kings uniform man. Montreal got a really nice team with alot of talent.

Maybe DL can Steal a little bit from Montreal And then hit Ottowa in the process lol.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Venom_17

Hmm. To think that Theodore and Ribeiro netted a return of Aebischer and Niinimaa. And Gleason and Belanger netted a return of Johnson and Tverdovsky.

That just doesn't add up to me...Montreal should have gotten a lot more for those two players.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:21 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Hmm. To think that Theodore and Ribeiro netted a return of Aebischer and Niinimaa. And Gleason and Belanger netted a return of Johnson and Tverdovsky.

That just doesn't add up to me...Montreal should have gotten a lot more for those two players.
Looking at it academically, maybe. But it's all about the circumstance.

Old
10-01-2006, 02:31 AM
no name

They are outstanding at getting the most lottery balls.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 06:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

lol you certainly know very little about our team... Mike is one of the weakest players in this league and is an under average skater, he has no shot and has been lucky to get as many points 2 years ago.. We were badly lacking skills in the line-up and Ribeiro was used on almost every first PP unit with Koivu and Zednik, also Koivu has been injured a part of the season and Ribs became our "first line center", what help to get pts... He wont terrorize your team be sure

Plekanec is already a way better hockey player and will complement Kovy and Sammy perfectly..

I dont know about Niniimaa's last few seasons but I was a big fan when he played for the Oilers, was a solid #2 defenseman.. Actually the prob isn certainly not up front, its our D.. Souray with a damaged shoulder, Bouillon injured, Coté injured and we have no depth in the minors.. Add the fact that we have only 1 quality puckmover (Markov) and it could explain the move.. We needed another D able to move the puck and generate things offensively.. So I hope Niniimaa is the answer.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

I dont know about Niniimaa's last few seasons but I was a big fan when he played for the Oilers, was a solid #2 defenseman.. Actually the prob isn certainly not up front, its our D.. Souray with a damaged shoulder, Bouillon injured, Coté injured and we have no depth in the minors.. Add the fact that we have only 1 quality puckmover (Markov) and it could explain the move.. We needed another D able to move the puck and generate things offensively.. So I hope Niniimaa is the answer.
We could always trade you guys Tverdovsky.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:

The Canes also made a bizarro trade.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Yes, a player with Ribeiro's talent could've netted a bigger return... if his attitude didn't offset it. Ribs was a cancer in the Habs' locker room, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was amazed that Gainey managed to get more than a sixth-rounder for him.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Falloooooon

Maybe this means that when Dallas is on national TV this season I won't have to hear the announcers applaud Tippett for installing a no diving policy for his team. What a joke that was. A team with Madonna and Ribeiro is a lock to lead the league in dives.

Falloooooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Makes me wonder what a solid, stay at home (cause he's injured) dman like Aaron Miller would bring back as GM's scramble before the season starts.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 03:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Ribeiro had very little value around the league as well... he doesn't fit on most teams, and brings his share of negatives as well.

This trade was basically moving 2 talented, yet under-achieving, players to different teams.

Niinimma has been horrible last couple years, but he's performed in his career at a much higher level than Ribeiro has - his points don't off-set the baggage he brings. Montreal is gambling that Niinimma can look more like he did in Edmonton - and even teased in New York - where many fans felt he was their most talented dman, just never lived up to that talent.

Dallas is gambling on Ribeiro... who'll frustrate you way more often than amaze you - but has the skills to amaze you once in a while, which always makes such players interesting to other teams.

both players are risks... but I'd probably gamble on a guy like Ninimma before I would on a guy like Ribeiro... I wouldn't take the chance to bring the latter to my team... maybe it's also because of seeing what type of dman Ninimma can be following him during his Oilers days....

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Looking at it academically, maybe. But it's all about the circumstance.
JJ wouldn't sign, but the only the pressure on the 'Canes to trade him was self-imposed.

The Habs were under no pressure to trade Theodore or Ribeiro.

There were no imminent free agents involved in either deal and no real pressure on any of the 4 teams. I see no circumstantial differences.

I see it as a clear-cut case of GM competence in negotiating and pulling the trigger on deals.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Age is overated in a deal like that. Both guys are UFA at the end of the year and there is no way Gainey would have signed Ribeiro at the multi-year he's gonna be looking for.

We needed a D, we got one who's coming off a terrible year but talent is still there and we gave an underachieving, inconsistent, expendable centerman. In brief, I've seen weirder.

+ if niinimaa plays well the 1st couple of months during Bouillon's absence, we might then move Souray of Markov to try to get some value on 1 of our other potential d-man UFAs

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:43 AM
dink182

The difference is that Niinimaa actually has character and great work ethic. Just that he's been battling injuries the last few seasons. Ribiero, well, let's just say that the coaching staff was thinking addition by subtraction. Look at Ryder, Higgins, and Chipchura. That's the kind of players Montreal wants on their team. If Kovalev didn't actually step up his game in the playoffs and do his Russian Claude Lemieux thing, he'd be gone too.

dink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
VisionQuest*

People around the league flat out do not like Riberio. He suffered the same fate as Theodore, change of scenery=change of pace.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote