HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

article on niniimaa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2006, 05:54 AM
  #1
johnnyboo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Za Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
article on niniimaa

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=230745

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 06:02 AM
  #2
A1
Everything is awful
 
A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
interesting, sounds like he was really in pain last year. Let's hope for a great bounce back year for him

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 07:18 AM
  #3
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Bertuzzi, Roenick, St. Louis, Khabibulin, Aucoin, Bonk, Guerin, Tkachuck and a host of other are expected to bounce back after poor 2005-06 campaigns, yet Niinimaa, who is in the same age group as all those players , is accused of being washed up even though he played the last half of last season with torn ligaments in one of his ankles.

I'll not pay heed to the multitude of "experts" at HF and let Niinimaa's play do the talking. I expect the odd brain cramp as he's noted for, but if he can notch 25+ points and play decently most of the time, I'm going to be more than happy with the deal.

Montreal is a pretty quick team now, particularly on the top three lines and on the blueline. With Begin replacing Ribeiro and Bonk coming back quicker than last year, the team has gone from a center group with below average speed to one with above average wheels. Souray and Rivet can be caught flat footed on occasion, but Montreal's top seven defencemen are a pretty fleet group on the whole.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
  #4
Walzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: somewhere in Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Let's hope for a great bounce back year for him
he didn't looked liked that at training camp and was still the #8 dman behind Robidas and Klemm...

well, i usually don't care much about Montreal, but it's sad seeing how Niinimaa went down the last few years. So i hope he'll recover a bit and wins at least the race against guys like Streit

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 08:21 AM
  #5
Jiggs
Registered User
 
Jiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
well, i usually don't care much about Montreal, but it's sad seeing how Niinimaa went down the last few years.
Playing on the Milbury-era Islanders has caused many a player to devolve.

Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
  #6
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
Playing on the Milbury-era Islanders has caused many a player to devolve.
Can't argue with that logic

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 08:31 AM
  #7
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Shows caracter and positive attitude. Me like that

Now i'm just hoping he'll regain condifence in his talents like in is Oiler days. If he does...we will clearly have the upperhand in the trade and guys like Streit should start worrying.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 09:53 AM
  #8
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
As a european I am sure he'll love Montreal a lot more than hickville, TX. Having Koivu here will also help him a lot imo.

Let's just hope he has his legs back.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:03 AM
  #9
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
As a european I am sure he'll love Montreal a lot more than hickville, TX. Having Koivu here will also help him a lot imo.

Let's just hope he has his legs back.
Yeah, because the other 5 Finns on Dallas couldn't. Good logic buddy

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  #10
KaptainKourage*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St-Georges de Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Yeah, because the other 5 Finns on Dallas couldn't. Good logic buddy
Meh.. Selanne suck with his good friend Kariya in Colorado, but do well in Anaheim ''alone'' .. we dont know.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
  #11
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Yeah, because the other 5 Finns on Dallas couldn't. Good logic buddy
Yes, because longtime pals Jussi Jokinen and Antti Miettinen are great inspirations..

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:26 AM
  #12
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
.I'll not pay heed to the multitude of "experts" at HF and let Niinimaa's play do the talking. I expect the odd brain cramp as he's noted for, but if he can notch 25+ points and play decently most of the time, I'm going to be more than happy with the deal.
Something that makes sense...Wow. Wasn't sure if I was going to read anything like that today.

All I will say is the people involved in making this trade have more knowledge about the two players involved than every poster on HF combined, so.....

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:46 AM
  #13
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Meh.. Selanne suck with his good friend Kariya in Colorado, but do well in Anaheim ''alone'' .. we dont know.
Selanne was on fire at the begining of the season with the avs, and was placed on the 4th line as the season went on. He was injured during the season and didn't bounce back. Kariya was put on the 3rd line and was also injured during the season. Both only saw 10 games with each other I believe, and in those 10 games had either 9 or 11 points, I forget; however, I do remember they were centered by Sakic for those 10ish games.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
  #14
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Meh.. Selanne suck with his good friend Kariya in Colorado, but do well in Anaheim ''alone'' .. we dont know.
Selänne didnt suck because he had Kariya there... his knee was killing him. He went under knife during the offseason had it fixed and came back after changing scenery with Anaheim and we all know what happened. Could be the same thing with Niinimaa, his ankle and Montreal.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:33 PM
  #15
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,565
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Something that makes sense...Wow. Wasn't sure if I was going to read anything like that today.

All I will say is the people involved in making this trade have more knowledge about the two players involved than every poster on HF combined, so.....
And I don't like seeing those comments 'cause what's the points of having a board if every time a trade is made we have to either say: " Gainey must know what he's doing" or " Let's wait his performance and see".....'Cause anyway, if we wait and see and then comment that it wasn't a good deal after all, someone will tell us that hindsight is 20-20.....

I vote for taking a position right off the bat, and then be man enough to say if we were right or wrong.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
  #16
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And I don't like seeing those comments 'cause what's the points of having a board if every time a trade is made we have to either say: " Gainey must know what he's doing" or " Let's wait his performance and see".....'Cause anyway, if we wait and see and then comment that it wasn't a good deal after all, someone will tell us that hindsight is 20-20.....

I vote for taking a position right off the bat, and then be man enough to say if we were right or wrong.

Do whatever you like. But what galls me is people stating that "so and so is washed up" or "They suck" or "he'll never play for us" right after a trade and without a player even stepping on the ice for the Habs.

Niinimaa is 31, he played last season with torn ligaments, and yet more than a few folks around here are "all knowing" in insisting he's garbage and will be pathetic with the Habs before he's ever laced up his skates.

I don't see people who like the trade predicting that he'll score 40+ points like he did in his Edmonton days and be a top three defenceman, but the negative Nellies are confident in proclaiming that he will never again be an effective NHLer. Stating he's washed up (which many have done) is essentially stating that you know how the remainder of the player's career will go when in reality you don't have the slightest idea. The saddest thing is that many folks saying he is washed up have watched him on no more than a handful of occasions the past few seasons, but that makes them clairvoyents nonethless.

I thought quite a few people felt embarrassed about insistinmg in no uncertain terms last October that Garth Murray would never play in the NHL only to see him playing effectively for the Habs for the second half of last season, but the urge to write players off unfairly is an abundant characterisitic in many a Hab fan it would seem. Jason Ward was another one who in many prognosticator's minds around here would never be an NHL regular - EVER.


If you think boldly prejudging a player's (not a prospect's) future before he's ever suited up for the Habs is preferable to waiting at least a dozen games to see how he is playing, well - let's just say we're different.


Last edited by turnbuckle*: 10-01-2006 at 01:01 PM.
turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:05 PM
  #17
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,565
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Do whatever you like. But what galls me is people stating that "so and so is washed up" or "They suck" or "he'll never play for us" right after a trade and without a player even stepping on the ice for the Habs.

Niinimaa is 31, he played last season with torn ligaments, and yet more than a few folks around here are "all knowing" in insisting he's garbage and will be pathetic with the Habs before he's ever laced up his skates.

I don't see people who like the trade predicting that he'll score 40+ points like he did in his Edmonton days and be a top three defenceman, but the negative Nellies are confident in proclaiming that he will never again be an effective NHLer. Stating he's washed up (which many have done) is essentially stating that you know how the remainder of the player's career will go when in reality you don't have the slightest idea. The saddest thing is that many folks saying he is washed up have watched him on no more than a handful of occasions the past few seasons, but that makes them clairvoyents nonethless.


If you think boldly prejudging a player's future before he's ever suited up for the Habs is preferable to waiting at least a dozen games to see how he is playing, well - let's just say we're different.
Well I've heard a couple of "washed up" and "suck" about a certain goalie in Colorado now and mostly based on 1 season as well so....it always depends on which side of the fence you are. I understand that making a comment immediately after a trade is made is not the most realistical way of analysing it, but again I personally choose to use this board as a place to receive first opinions on things. Some people use it differently and that's OK with me.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:21 PM
  #18
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Do whatever you like. But what galls me is people stating that "so and so is washed up" or "They suck" or "he'll never play for us" right after a trade and without a player even stepping on the ice for the Habs.

Niinimaa is 31, he played last season with torn ligaments, and yet more than a few folks around here are "all knowing" in insisting he's garbage and will be pathetic with the Habs before he's ever laced up his skates. ...
Everything you say makes sense. But it doesn't change the riskiness of the deal. He could very well be garbage, washed up trash, all 2.5 million worth. I'm willing to wait, and I'm more than hoping he'll bounce back, but still, it's hard to be excited about adding someone else's 8th defenceman to balloon the total cost of Montreal's 6th-8th defencemen to over 5 million.

I'm also a little nervous about the C situation. I like Plekanec, but he isn't even an established 3rd line center. I'm hoping too that he'll meet the expectations of a 2nd line center, but if he can't do it, then it leaves Bonk, which doesn't excite me at all.

Anyway, the good thing is that the Habs have great bottom 6 C depth. This move means that Lapierre and Chipchura just got bumped up a notch, and it probably also means that Murray has the confidence of the coaching staff, as he is now the 5th center.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 02:05 AM
  #19
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
.I'll not pay heed to the multitude of "experts" at HF and let Niinimaa's play do the talking. I expect the odd brain cramp as he's noted for, but if he can notch 25+ points and play decently most of the time, I'm going to be more than happy with the deal. ---------------------------- --------------------
Something that makes sense...Wow. Wasn't sure if I was going to read anything like that today.

All I will say is the people involved in making this trade have more knowledge about the two players involved than every poster on HF combined, so.....
---------------- ------------------


This probably ends the thread right here! (great valid point)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 06:21 AM
  #20
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
So the injury is the main reason why he was so bad? Has he healed now?

I found it weird how he went from being regarded as a top-15 defenceman in the world to garbage in the space of one season.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
  #21
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
So the injury is the main reason why he was so bad? Has he healed now?

I found it weird how he went from being regarded as a top-15 defenceman in the world to garbage in the space of one season.
yes, me too he was a good D-man till he went to the island

did he play for finland last olympics?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
  #22
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
So everyone was valid to dump on Ribeiro but all of a sudden Niinimaa is off limits?

Not that I want to dump on Niinimaa (I hope he excels for us), but I find this twist of logic fascinating.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:45 AM
  #23
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
yes, me too he was a good D-man till he went to the island

did he play for finland last olympics?
No. I doubt he'll play for Finland ever again, i could be wrong though.
And for the record i dont like this guy all that much, but he is no 7-8th d-man in NHL. I hope he proves that this season.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
  #24
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
So the injury is the main reason why he was so bad? Has he healed now?

I found it weird how he went from being regarded as a top-15 defenceman in the world to garbage in the space of one season.

I can't say I paid much attention to him last year at all but I wondered the same thing. People are saying in other threads that he is the worst defensemen in the league, yet he was playing 20 minutes a game on average and only once last year did he play less then 15 minutes. I'm not going to say he wasn't bad cause I can't really recall seeing him that much, but if he was among the worst why so much ice time, 20 mins is a lot per game. One of his last games in dallas he played almost 30 minutes, yes it's just one game and maybe he sucked badly but why would the coach play someone that much if they sucked so badly.

I'm not trying to spin this cause I don't really care what he did last year. imo he'll be here to take pressure off Streit and add depth, while I'm a big fan of Streit's game at the international level, I have doubts about him holding the 6th spot for 2 months before we got Niinimaa, so now it hopefully makes things easier for him while giving us depth, although we paid a costly price for what could be a short term rental if things don't pan out.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 10:32 AM
  #25
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
he didn't looked liked that at training camp and was still the #8 dman behind Robidas and Klemm...

well, i usually don't care much about Montreal, but it's sad seeing how Niinimaa went down the last few years. So i hope he'll recover a bit and wins at least the race against guys like Streit
I hope both Streit and Niinimaa will be better this year. Hopefully Niin can return to form.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.