HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Time to press the panic button in Dallas

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Time to press the panic button in Dallas

Yep, it's time to press the panic button. 19 games in, and only 1 point ahead of the Sharks? 2 games under .500 and 4th in the division? 11th in the conference?

Something has to be done - again. Klemm was a start, but I think the Stars need to shake up some of the key players on that team. While it'll be nigh impossible to trade some of the older, higher paid veterans, the Stars ought to consider moving some of their younger guys or draft picks to just make a change on the team.

I also think that perhaps it's time to take the C off of Modano and give it to Billy Guerin. Modano is clearly not captain material - and this isn't a slag against him. Some guys make good captains, some guys don't. It's just how things are. Modano is a great player but he just isn't good as top dog.

And what to do with Turco? Start playing Tuggnutt more? I dunno how I'd solve that.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:47 PM
guinness
those were the days

Yeah, yeah and Ottawa is in last place in their division; regular season means jack, just as long as you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

The Stars are taking baby steps.. The aquisition of Klemm was one in the right direction (boy he had a great debute ) and the return of Lehtinen will have this team playing much better.

Tonights game was one in the right direction, almost everyone is starting to perform better (the loss was all Turco and Turco only), but with Turgeon, Downey, Numminen, Miettinen and Matvichuk still having some injury problems, the team won't reach their potential just now. My feeling is that they will continue to take some small baby steps and should be above .500 within a few weeks and start clicking.

The Stars are slowstarters. 15 Games into last season, they were one game above .500 and look how it turned out. They have a lot of new faces, they have players playing different positions, some even having new roles, they had a Coach who couldn't attend some of the games due to surgery, etc. All factors that have a hand in how a team performs on the ice. That and Mike Modano is slowly getting out of his slump, but as usually will only start playing after the All-Star break where frankly no teammate can follow him.

Not saying the Stars will be fine but you haven't followed the scene if you feel the Stars should press the *** panic button already. The season is actually going as I'd planned, a very slow start but they will slowly get some chemestry going and reach familiar ground with a top 4 spot (though that's yet to be seen).

Detroit had a bad slump, the Avs had a rough start where fans wanted to change management, the Sens are currently last in their division and the Stars are riding a bad stretch, though they've played a good game tonight. And the Stars actually have a good reason for it, with Lehtinen out and their MVP of last season not performing like he should.

But to chance perspective's, if Naslund, Lidstrom, Pronger or Forsberg went out, it would have been ok for that team to lose since they play without their Most Important Player. Yet if the Stars play without theirs non-Stars fans start to questioning other players and advice that they should "press the panic button".

Old
11-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Yeah, yeah and Ottawa is in last place in their division; regular season means jack, just as long as you make the playoffs, anything can happen.
Last I checked 11th in the Conference doesn't get you in the playoffs...

Old
11-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Takeo

Satan for Morrow!! Woo-hoo!

How's that for a shake-up?

Old
11-19-2003, 09:15 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Last I checked 11th in the Conference doesn't get you in the playoffs...
Last time I checked, playoff teams were not decided less than 20 games into the season...

Sarcastic Quips aside; cheerleader M=G is right. It is still very early and the Stars have had injury problems plus new faces; it will take them some time to gel.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Satan for Morrow!! Woo-hoo!

How's that for a shake-up?

umm this happened?????

brutal for buffalo

Old
11-19-2003, 09:22 PM
X8oD

by way of newsguyone.. by way of the Avs usenet group..

Quote:
If the Play-offs Started Today..... there would be a whole bunch of people saying "Why in the hell are the playoffs starting today?" and "What happened to the rest of the regular season?" and "What in the hell is going on?" and stuff like that.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

That Turco goal tonight...SEE!!!!! IT ISN'T JUST CLOUTIER THAT IT HAPPENS TO!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

But yeah...Dallas isn't the only team that was great last year that's off to a poor start. A lot of the Playoff teams in the West have been doing poorly; Anaheim(except they had a 3 game streak going), Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, and now Dallas.

~Canucklehead~

11-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
The Stars are taking baby steps.. The aquisition of Klemm was one in the right direction (boy he had a great debute ) and the return of Lehtinen will have this team playing much better.

Tonights game was one in the right direction, almost everyone is starting to perform better (the loss was all Turco and Turco only), but with Turgeon, Downey, Numminen, Miettinen and Matvichuk still having some injury problems, the team won't reach their potential just now. My feeling is that they will continue to take some small baby steps and should be above .500 within a few weeks and start clicking.

The Stars are slowstarters. 15 Games into last season, they were one game above .500 and look how it turned out. They have a lot of new faces, they have players playing different positions, some even having new roles, they had a Coach who couldn't attend some of the games due to surgery, etc. All factors that have a hand in how a team performs on the ice. That and Mike Modano is slowly getting out of his slump, but as usually will only start playing after the All-Star break where frankly no teammate can follow him.

Not saying the Stars will be fine but you haven't followed the scene if you feel the Stars should press the *** panic button already. The season is actually going as I'd planned, a very slow start but they will slowly get some chemestry going and reach familiar ground with a top 4 spot (though that's yet to be seen).

Detroit had a bad slump, the Avs had a rough start where fans wanted to change management, the Sens are currently last in their division and the Stars are riding a bad stretch, though they've played a good game tonight. And the Stars actually have a good reason for it, with Lehtinen out and their MVP of last season not performing like he should.

But to chance perspective's, if Naslund, Lidstrom, Pronger or Forsberg went out, it would have been ok for that team to lose since they play without their Most Important Player. Yet if the Stars play without theirs non-Stars fans start to questioning other players and advice that they should "press the panic button".

That is a nice long list of excuses. Take a look at what the Kings have had to put up through. Or even the St. Louis Blues. And both teams are off to much better starts, not too mention they have been through much worse than the Stars.
The only excuse is that they are underachieving, and letting Hatcher go was a BIG mistake. The Sydor for Numminen swap hasn't helped either.
Now that Guerin signing is kicking them right in the ass, since they couldn't afford to keep their captain.
And Turco better get his game in gear... his ass is costing me first place in my fantasy league (and it seems like it might keep the Stars out of it too, heh).

Old
11-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Oilers Hockey

No offense to the Canucks fan since this is a sensitive issue, but like Canucklehead17 said, when I saw that goal the first thing I thought of was Lidstrom's on Cloutier. Look's like Turco isn't the next Roy. Oh well c'est la vie.

As for the Dallas Stars doing badly and being winless in 7, can't say I'm sorry, it's nice actually.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Look's like Turco isn't the next Roy.

who on gods green earth ever made that comparison?

Old
11-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack

who on gods green earth ever made that comparison?
Stars fans from last playoff when they trolled the oilers.com board.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Look's like Turco isn't the next Roy. Oh well c'est la vie.
I probably shouldn't even bother...but:

1)Did anyone call him the next Roy?
2)Roy has let in equally embarrassing goals...
3)Depicting a player's talent level off one play is beyond moronic.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
That is a nice long list of excuses. Take a look at what the Kings have had to put up through. Or even the St. Louis Blues. And both teams are off to much better starts, not too mention they have been through much worse than the Stars.
The only excuse is that they are underachieving, and letting Hatcher go was a BIG mistake. The Sydor for Numminen swap hasn't helped either.
Now that Guerin signing is kicking them right in the ass, since they couldn't afford to keep their captain.
And Turco better get his game in gear... his ass is costing me first place in my fantasy league (and it seems like it might keep the Stars out of it too, heh).
Yes and the Kings aren't exactly leading the league either eh. The Blues have had injuries but non to their MVP and FYI, I think the Stars have been through as much as either.

And again, they did not let Hatcher go, in fact, they tried everything to re-sign him and when they had met his contract demands, Hatcher still decided to join the enemy. Tough loss for sure, but Hatcher actually wanted to be a Wing, nothing you can do about that. So your Guerin formular is nice, but wrong like usual. And yes, he is kicking this team in the ass, he only has like 11 or 12 goals and 20 points or so.

Turco has been inconsistant, but not like he had a tight D in front of him. It all needs time to gel. But (D)alles isn't a lock to make the postseason by any means.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
I probably shouldn't even bother...but:

1)Did anyone call him the next Roy?
2)Roy has let in equally embarrassing goals...
3)Depicting a player's talent level off one play is beyond moronic.
Thanks for indirectly calling me a moron and look at the post above yours before you insult people.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Thanks for indirectly calling me a moron and look at the post above yours before you insult people.
I stand by my post.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Randall Graves*

Memo to Marty Turco...stay in your crease and close your 5 hole when shots from center ice come on net.

the Dallas team effort was good last night but Turco needs to pull his head out.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Oilers Hockey

Good for you Waveburner, you worthless troll. If you have to resort to calling people names, maybe you should go to pbskids.org, a site more suited to your intelligence level.

Have a good night.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:

Slow starters or what not but they where NOT 1 game above .500 15 games into last season

Record for 15 1st games of 02/03 season

8 3 3 1 5 games above 500 in my book

and they started out heavy on the road last year as well with only 6 homegames of those 15 5 of those they won and the 6th they should have won since they outshot the panthers something like 45-10 for the game and lost in OT

They had 18 pts on Nov 6th of last season hardly a slow start in my book instead i will call it that they pushed really hard right from the 1st face off last year and played themself up to 10 games above 500 in only 28 games

They lost only 12 road games all year last season and are already with barely a started season at 1/2 that point with 6 road losses

Clearly this years Stars are starting out much much much worse than last year.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Good for you Waveburner, you worthless troll. If you have to resort to calling people names, maybe you should go to pbskids.org, a site more suited to your intelligence level.

Have a good night.
Clever.

And coming onto this forum and stating "Guess Turco is not the next Roy" after one awful goal is a valuable insight eh? Guess I need to redefine the word valuable...

Old
11-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Stars fans from last playoff when they trolled the oilers.com board.
This is where the comparison orginated.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
This is where the comparison orginated.
So your response to trolls is to troll yourself?

Again, clever.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:48 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Yes and the Kings aren't exactly leading the league either eh. The Blues have had injuries but non to their MVP and FYI, I think the Stars have been through as much as either.
The Stars haven't been through as much as the Kings this year... you can't say that. The Kings started off the year without Jason Allison, Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller and Matty Norstrom. Now Miller and Norstrom are back, but then they lose Jozef Stumpel and Derek Armstrong. Armstrong is out for the next 2 months and Stumpel's return is still indefinite. They are without 3 of their top centers and their best LW'er. Who exactly are the Stars missing???

Old
11-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Oilers Hockey

Your definition of trolling is 'Guess Turco is not the next Roy'? Sensitive.

Closed Thread