HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Time to press the panic button in Dallas

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Your definition of trolling is 'Guess Turco is not the next Roy'? Sensitive.
Not necesarily-but in the context you put it-yes. Your post was an obvious jab at Turco letting in a center ice goal-and using that incident to put him down. Like I said-using one play to make statements of talent level, is well, really dumb. If you feel otherwise, oh well

Old
11-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Yes and the Kings aren't exactly leading the league either eh. The Blues have had injuries but non to their MVP and FYI, I think the Stars have been through as much as either.
The Kings are tied for first without Allison and Deadmarsh.
Gee,wasn't Al Mac the Blues MVP last year M=G?

Old
11-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Oilers Hockey

And you are being an even bigger troll by calling me 'moronic' and 'really dumb'...if that is asinine, then you must have down syndrome.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
The Stars haven't been through as much as the Kings this year... you can't say that. The Kings started off the year without Jason Allison, Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller and Matty Norstrom. Now Miller and Norstrom are back, but then they lose Jozef Stumpel and Derek Armstrong. Armstrong is out for the next 2 months and Stumpel's return is still indefinite. They are without 3 of their top centers and their best LW'er. Who exactly are the Stars missing???

dammit! Armstrong was my late round steal! now i gotta find someone else....

Old
11-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
And you are being an even bigger troll by calling me 'moronic' and 'really dumb'...if that is asinine, then you must have down syndrome.
Wow. Now I really stand by my post.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Wow. Now I really stand by my post.
And I really stand by mine, you hypocrite.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

dallas went from having a top 10 defense to a team with a bottom ten defense. Luckily they were able to steal a nice stabilizer in Klemm away from Chicago. Zubov, Numminen, Klemm, matvichuk, Erskine, Boucher, Sweeney. No hatcher no Sydor makes a big difference in the toughness and athletic ability catagories. Looking at it the Klemm acquisition is better than i thought. he makes a big difference. So they will have to perhaps play better team defense to compensate. Tippett may have to alter his coaching to fit the team. If the panic button is pushed what is the most likely result?

Old
11-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Here's the way I look at it. You (the Stars) spent the summer tinkering with a roster that was successful last year. The team is comprised of numerous veteran players who have proven success in the league and more importantly in the playoffs. They also possess a goalie coming off a superb season. He started his season belatedly and one of your two best forwards has been out of action for a good stretch.

Considering all that...

...seven weeks in you panic and lose faith in the squad you assembled? Or do give them ample time to right themselves?

Easy answer, IMO.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
They still have a solid defense, a great goalie, and a great set of forwards. With all the toughness they have they need a coach like
TED NOLAN
What are you talking about?........ Don't think it is time to run Tippet out of town just yet.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Here's the way I look at it. You (the Stars) spent the summer tinkering with a roster that was successful last year. The team is comprised of numerous veteran players who have proven success in the league and more importantly in the playoffs. They also possess a goalie coming off a superb season. He started his season belatedly and one of your two best forwards has been out of action for a good stretch.

Considering all that...

...seven weeks in you panic and lose faith in the squad you assembled? Or do give them ample time to right themselves?

Easy answer, IMO.

And whoever claims the Stars to have a Defense in the bottem 10 is kidding themselves. On paper, this team still has a top 10 (around #7/8) defense but like the forward pack, havenít met their potential just yet.

Old
11-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
umm this happened?????

brutal for buffalo
Of course not. But as a Buffalo fan, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Old
11-20-2003, 03:03 AM
PecaFan

Quote:

Easy answer, IMO.
Yup, agreed. This is *not* the time to press the panic button. They've got some key performers not playing well, they'll right themselves and be fine. A weak division means they probably still win the division by years end.

Old
11-20-2003, 03:56 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Yep, it's time to press the panic button. 19 games in, and only 1 point ahead of the Sharks? 2 games under .500 and 4th in the division? 11th in the conference?

Something has to be done - again. Klemm was a start, but I think the Stars need to shake up some of the key players on that team. While it'll be nigh impossible to trade some of the older, higher paid veterans, the Stars ought to consider moving some of their younger guys or draft picks to just make a change on the team.

I also think that perhaps it's time to take the C off of Modano and give it to Billy Guerin. Modano is clearly not captain material - and this isn't a slag against him. Some guys make good captains, some guys don't. It's just how things are. Modano is a great player but he just isn't good as top dog.

And what to do with Turco? Start playing Tuggnutt more? I dunno how I'd solve that.

Modano's served as captain before, and he thrived. Clearly, other pressures have been affecting his play. He looked great last night IMO, flying around the ice and making plays like he normally does. Turco on the other hand.........

Old
11-20-2003, 03:59 AM
Tidus

Quote:
Not necesarily-but in the context you put it-yes. Your post was an obvious jab at Turco letting in a center ice goal-and using that incident to put him down. Like I said-using one play to make statements of talent level, is well, really dumb. If you feel otherwise, oh well
Just because Cloutier lets in a goal from center ice doesn't mean you gotta defend every goalie that chokes like him. You don't see Brodeur letting in garbage like that.

Old
11-20-2003, 04:26 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Dallas is one of my favourite team, and I have both Modano and Turco in my keeper pool - in Modano's case I had him for 12 straight years - so I'm suffering with this team. I think that Modano will turn his season around shortly, and that Lethinen's return will help this team. With Arnott and Guerin playing well, there is hope. Not time to press the panic button.

But I still have 2 concerns :

Turco is this year version of the 02-03 Theodore, at least for now
Hatcher hasn't been replaced - Klemm will help but he is no Hatcher

Do you see any big, tough D becoming available somewhere that Dallas could get ? He has to be a top 4, not a 6-7

By the way, saying that Dallas is going through what LA or StL is going through is plain stupid. You can compare Dallas with Detroit that lost Hatcher and now Zetterberg, have new guys, and a messy situation in net, but give Detroit the credit of turning things around recently, something that Dallas hasn't done yet...

Old
11-20-2003, 04:38 AM
AvsGuy

frankly, i would be worrying if i were the Stars. things just aren't going the way they were supposed to based on last season. they look like they have the 2nd coming of Chris OSgood on their hands too.

i certainly hope David Aebischer doesn't become this year's Marty Turco, cuz next year's Marty Turco really blows.

Old
11-20-2003, 05:20 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:

Considering all that...

Easy answer, IMO.
Isn't this what happened to the Stars just 2 seasons ago though? Didn't they miss the playoffs? Didn't they have a similar start then?

Sorry but I believe the concern is valid based on past history.

Old
11-20-2003, 05:38 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
And whoever claims the Stars to have a Defense in the bottem 10 is kidding themselves. On paper, this team still has a top 10 (around #7/8) defense but like the forward pack, havenít met their potential just yet.
At some point, though, you have to look at on-ice results rather than how the roster looks on paper. Not saying this is going to happen to the Stars, but let's say as an example that they keep struggling all year long ... by the end of the year, one could possibly have them in the bottom 10 and be completely right (as ridiculous as that might sound right now).

I mean, who thought SJ's defense sucked at the beginning of last year?

Old
11-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:

Considering all that...

Easy answer, IMO.
How about two years. Its been two seasons scnice the Stars have won a playoff round, only making the playoffs in one of the two. While I still think they have a good team I feel they are not the top end squad many make them out to be. They have regressed scince Hitch left town and lost thier Captin and one of thier best Dman in Hatcher this year.

I expect them to make the playoff's, but don't see them as a top team anymore.

-Tiki

Old
11-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
How about two years. Its been two seasons scnice the Stars have won a playoff round, only making the playoffs in one of the two. While I still think they have a good team I feel they are not the top end squad many make them out to be. They have regressed scince Hitch left town and lost thier Captin and one of thier best Dman in Hatcher this year.

I expect them to make the playoff's, but don't see them as a top team anymore.

-Tiki

Finished first in the Western Conference last year
Won their first round, (kicked out by Jiggy's own version of Miracle on Ice ), by the way it's one more round than StL, Det or Col last spring

Not a top team anymore ? - being 2 games under 500 after 20 games

Come on...

Old
11-20-2003, 05:55 AM
VO #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
These bashing wars have to end, this is what it was like in the playoffs last year and we are only 7 weeks into the season. There are way too many posters on this site stiring up trouble. I say mods go out and become really strict for a period of time and take out the indirect insults. This is getting out of hand, it seems every thread turns into a flame war.
Why don't you take your own advice? You are by far one of the worst for flame wars and trolling.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:02 AM
syc

Quote:
Clever.

And coming onto this forum and stating "Guess Turco is not the next Roy" after one awful goal is a valuable insight eh? Guess I need to redefine the word valuable...
One bad goal? LMFAO, why don't you look at his .888 save percentage. He's been if not the worst one of the worst starters since the start of the season.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:08 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Yes and the Kings aren't exactly leading the league either eh. The Blues have had injuries but non to their MVP and FYI, I think the Stars have been through as much as either.
P A C I F I C GP W L T OTL PTS GF GA HOME AWAY L10
Los Angeles 17 9 6 1 1 20 47 38 4-5-1-0 5-1-0-1 5-3-1-1
Anaheim 20 7 7 2 4 20 42 51 4-3-1-1 3-4-1-3 4-2-1-3
Phoenix 18 6 6 5 1 18 47 55 4-3-1-0 2-3-4-1 3-3-3-1
Dallas 19 7 9 3 0 17 43 53 5-3-2-0 2-6-1-0 2-5-3-0
San Jose 19 3 6 8 2 16 45 54 0-3-5-1 3-3-3-1 2-1-5-2

They are leading the division and they have played the fewest games.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
One bad goal? LMFAO, why don't you look at his .888 save percentage. He's been if not the worst one of the worst starters since the start of the season.
I agree that Turco is much more than one bad goal this season.
Turco is this year's version of Theodore. Great one year, below average the next.

May the real Marty please stand up !

( I think - I hope - it is the Marty of 02-03 since his stats as a backup to Belfour were very good, better than 80-90% of other backups on similar teams )

Old
11-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
I don't think you can say that the Stars have been though as much as the Blues and especially the Kings.

The Blues have had to use 11 Dmen this year, lost a Noris Trophy Finalist and Captain in MacInnis, and 2 of their top 6 forward have missed the majority of the games so far (Granted Bogie and Melandby are not scoring demons by any means).

The Kings have lost all of there Centers and so far this year have played w/o their top D man, Allison and Deadmarsh. This would be the equilovent of losing Modano, Zubov, and Billy G.

Noone, including my Blues have gone though what the Kings have this season.

Turco played off the hook last year, but to expect him to do it again is unreasonable. As for soft goals, everyone, including Hasek, lets in a few per season....

Closed Thread