HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Time to press the panic button in Dallas

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Maybe Dallas totally overachived last year and we're just seeing the same team that missed the playoffs in 2002.
You'd like that, don't you?

Old
11-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God

People are acting like the year the Stars missed the play-offs they were atrocious. Didn't they have 91 points?

Old
11-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
i sure as hell would

Old
11-20-2003, 11:02 AM
RoyIsALegend*

I'll use Colorado as an argument as to why Dallas *will* turn it around. The Avalanche were 10th in the Western Conference last year in mid-December when Bob Hartley was fired. Once Tony Granato was hired, they went on a ridiculous rampage as the best team in the NHL in the calendar year of 2003, finishing 3rd in the conference.

November is not a time to panic... fairweather fans take heed.

And I *am* pointing to Mizral, the same person who starts threads when David Legwand has a decent game or Olli Jokinen puts up two points. A season is not determined in one night or even two months... we'll see where Dallas is in April, and I assure you it'll be in the top 5 of the West.

Old
11-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
People are acting like the year the Stars missed the play-offs they were atrocious. Didn't they have 91 points?
Agreed Rabid.. and yeah, 90 points I believe.

Old
11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Agreed Rabid.. and yeah, 90 points I believe.
You are correct: 36-28-13-5 For 90 points.

As most of the posts show we agree to an extent, but disagree slightly about the state of the Stars. Nice to be able to disagree with someone without one of us turning into a jerk about it. It happens so rarely around most sites I post on.

-Tiki

Old
11-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Actually, I always throw a fit whenever the Stars make a deal, my first reactions are usually to be taken lightly. But I will take it into consideration and actually wait before commenting on a Stars trade. But see in it whatever you like, I couldn't care less.
I know. And I agree. I don't think you should change anything just because Mr Vlad wants you to

It's just that, since you DO make good points sometimes, being tempered and patient will lead to people taking you more seriously in general.

As it is, I don't know when to trust you and when not to. I suspect a lot of the negative reactions you sometimes get are because of the exact same thing.

Regarding Miettinen, I know he's a rookie. Still, I think you sold him as better than he seems to be so far, even considering his lack of experience. He's not 18 and should have been doing a little better than that.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. I like the Stars forwards too much to press any panic button. They will more than make the playoffs, they are still a VERY strong team. I did say the same thing in 2002 but to hell with that! :p

Old
11-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
You are correct: 36-28-13-5 For 90 points.

As most of the posts show we agree to an extent, but disagree slightly about the state of the Stars.
-Tiki
Different opinions, different views.. but I agreed on most your points, most were valid arguements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
Nice to be able to disagree with someone without one of us turning into a jerk about it. It happens so rearly around most sites I post on. -Tiki
Gee I wonder why..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
I don't think you should change anything just because Mr Vlad wants you to
*phew*.. I can go die in piece now..

Old
11-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Isn't this what happened to the Stars just 2 seasons ago though? Didn't they miss the playoffs? Didn't they have a similar start then?

Sorry but I believe the concern is valid based on past history.
I obviously have no emotional attachment to the Stars, but here's the thing:

You cite past history, which is fair. Mistakes in player personnel acquisitions were made two seasons ago (Audette, Rucinsky), and frankly, the team seemingly had grown tired of Hitchcock. But let's cite even more recent history. As in: last year. Successful regular season, two rounds deep in the playoffs with a goalie playing his first full playoff season, as well as a rookie coach. Lose Hatcher (a significant blow), but make the D more mobile with the acquisition of the underrated vet Teppo, and it certainly remains well above average.

Off to a lackluster start, to be sure. But what exactly should they do? Wholesale changes? Sit the goalie you just gave a nice contract to? It was mentioned that Modano and Zubov are not contributing much. Sooooo? Doesn't each of their track records suggest that both will be contributing significantly before much longer? (And please don't suggest that age is catching up to them. They're young enough to be Steve Yzerman's and Scott Steven's children, respectively. :p )

A move like the one they made for Klemm earlier this week could be very important. You don't have to acquire big-name "star" players in every deal in order to improve a team. And likewise, 7 weeks (less than 1/3 of the season) is not sufficient time to evaluate and certainly not time to make significant changes. If we're having this same conversation come Jan. 1 or so, then it will have much more validity.

Just a difference in opinion here.

Find it ironic that some of the very same people who bash NYR for their seemingly habitual need to make major trades (and cause major team upheaval) on a regular basis, advise the very same manic approach for other teams.

Old
11-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I obviously have no emotional attachment to the Stars, but here's the thing:

You cite past history, which is fair. Mistakes in player personnel acquisitions were made two seasons ago (Audette, Rucinsky), and frankly, the team seemingly had grown tired of Hitchcock. But let's cite even more recent history. As in: last year. Successful regular season, two rounds deep in the playoffs with a goalie playing his first full playoff season, as well as a rookie coach. Lose Hatcher (a significant blow), but make the D more mobile with the acquisition of the underrated vet Teppo, and it certainly remains well above average.
Frankly, I find the lose Hull/get Audette + Rucinsky eerily similar to lose Hatcher/get Numminen and Klemm. There are a lot of parallels between what happened in Dallas two years ago and what is happening now, IMO.

Old
11-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Clearly, Hull and Hatcher are preferrable to their "replacements."

But, IMO, Teppo and Klemm are dependable backliners. Rucinsky and Audette both were and remain inconsistent, unreliable players (borderline dogs, actually).

Old
11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Largely irrelevant, didn't matter if the Stars finished 9th or last in the conference, missing the playoffs is still missing the playoffs. The Stars will probably make the playoffs, 20 games doesn't make a season, but injuries, losing players to free agency are things the elite teams can usually overcome like the Avs, Wings, Devils, the Stars aren't living up to that standard right now.

The Stars could finish 8th this year and end up winning it all, but they have to figure out how they're going to begin to get things turned around first.

Old
11-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Trottier,

Though I may disagree about the current state of the Stars with you, I don't feel the need for major change. Hopefully for them Modano can turn it around. Maybe Morrow will blossum into more of a scorer or Ott will start finding the net more. Perhaps Erskine will become a steady top four guy (some may think he's almost ready now. I don't agree, but do see the pontential)

I see some good young guys in place, but the thing they need most is experince.I think they can hang steady as a playoff team with the talent there and should challenge for the cup. I jsut don't see them taking it with the curent line up as is.

I like thier team, but feel some others who are better right now.

M=G

Quote:
Gee I wonder why..
One more thing I don't like about the Stars..... Thier fans!

Old
11-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Modano's served as captain before, and he thrived. Clearly, other pressures have been affecting his play. He looked great last night IMO, flying around the ice and making plays like he normally does. Turco on the other hand.........
Your right...Mike was flying...every time someone layed a finger on him.

Old
11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
He lost an estimated amount of 15 million bucks a few months ago due to being missinformed. He even openely admitted that it had an affect on his game..
Sounds like an excuse to me...for as much money as he makes a year thats a load of crap if thats what is effecting his game he should work on wall street.

Old
11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
incawg

Old
11-20-2003, 05:28 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Sounds like an excuse to me...for as much money as he makes a year thats a load of crap if thats what is effecting his game he should work on wall street.
You kidding? $15 million is a heck of a lot of money for anyone, even a Mike Modano. That's probably a significant chunk of what he earned over his entire career.

Old
11-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
You kidding? $15 million is a heck of a lot of money for anyone, even a Mike Modano. That's probably a significant chunk of what he earned over his entire career.
And if he gambled a "significant chunk" of his career money then he needs help for being a greedy idiot!
Thats whats wrong with todays players,their hockey players trying to be financial magnets,i guess having 15 mill in the bank for retirement isn't enough

Old
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Lehtinen returns, scores a goal, logs 17 minutes of icetime, +2, first Star of the game and the Stars snap their 7 game winless streak. Only one game, but still, doesn't seem like a coincidence..

Closed Thread