HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dissapointing rookies so far?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Dissapointing rookies so far?

Well guys like Pitkanen, Fleury, and Staal have lived up to their billing. And guys like Jason King, Brett McLean, and Patrice Bergeron have come basically from nowhere and started off very well.

But my question is, which rookies have you expected a lot from, but have been dissapointed in so far?

For me it's:

1) Tuomo Ruutu- I was guilty of overhyping him and expected a lot more than what I have seen so far.

2) Peter Sejna- If any rookie was to have 10 goals at this point, I would have thought it would be Sejna. Playing with Weight most of the time, he should have more than 2 goals.

3) Nathan Horton- Maybe I expected a little more offence from him, however he is solid out there and works hard and pays the price. I like this kid, but so far he has dissapointed me.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:44 PM
pappa jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Well guys like Pitkanen, Fleury, and Staal have lived up to their billing. And guys like Jason King, Brett McLean, and Patrice Bergeron have come basically from nowhere and started off very well.

But my question is, which rookies have you expected a lot from, but have been dissapointed in so far?

For me it's:

1) Tuomo Ruutu- I was guilty of overhyping him and expected a lot more than what I have seen so far.

2) Peter Sejna- If any rookie was to have 10 goals at this point, I would have thought it would be Sejna. Playing with Weight most of the time, he should have more than 2 goals.

3) Nathan Horton- Maybe I expected a little more offence from him, however he is solid out there and works hard and pays the price. I like this kid, but so far he has dissapointed me.
ruutu certainly, but i'd also expect more of chuck kobasew. but matthew lombardi has been a pleasent surprise so i guess i shouldn't ***** about our rookies.

other rookies i thought would at least make a few more points are esa pirnes in la kings, tommi santala in atlata and antti mietinen in dallas.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo

For me it's:

1) Hard to get points playing on the fourth line

2) Should see and increase with Mellanby's return

3) Power foward...does it need any explanation?

Overall, I've been really impressed with this years crop of rookies. From some of the older picks like King to the 2nd round pick Fritche, I see a lot of potential. Definately more than last year.

Old
11-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Ajo

Hudler made the Red Wings opeing day roster but hasn't played much since. Kinda disapointing.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:40 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajo
Hudler made the Red Wings opeing day roster but hasn't played much since. Kinda disapointing.
Kinda hard to play with the coach has no clue how to handle 19 year old rookies.

Old
11-20-2003, 03:05 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Svatos... his arm fell off and now he's out for the season

he played fine though...

Old
11-20-2003, 03:22 AM
-HIFK-

vCash:
I just wish people would realise, that Ruutu might be playing well, even though he´s not scoring points. I haven´t been able to see his games back here, so if you have, and still say he´s not playing well, then fine. From what I´ve heard he´s been one of the few Hawks´ who´s throwing his body around night after night, and that´s exactly what Ruutu does.

So if you haven´t seen Ruutu play, and just judge him by looking at the stats, then I´d suggest you to stop right there. There is so much more to his game, which does not show in his stats.

He has never been expected to grow up to be a 50-goal/100-point player, but who´s to say he won´t be one. Give him time Maybe he´ll start scoring next season, or the season after that. It depends on which type of game he plays/which line he plays on.

Old
11-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Ruutu, Mietinnen and Sejna.

But I disagree for Horton. I didn't expect him to produce much offensively as an 18yo, and 6 points isn't that bad. He projects to 25 points.

And I'm sooooo glad I have Pitkanen and Staal in my keeper pool
The rest of my team sucks ( Modano, Kariya, Whitney, MacInnis, Turco, OUCH ! ) , so at least I have these 2...

Old
11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I've been impressed with Ruutu. He's one of the better Hawks game in game out. Dont let stats fool you.

I expected Horton to take awhile to devolope.

I've been very very disapointed in Sejna though.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:31 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Staal is too steaky, in my pool I'l drop him, he will get hot, I pick him back up and then he turns cold, actually all my players have been doing that, I change 2 players every day and try to time a hot player.
I agree that Staal is streaky for now. But overall he produces well for an 18yo and I have him for the future, I didn't expect significant help right now. I played him only last week when Weight was suspended...

Old
11-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Ruutu was playing on the 1st line against Edmonton on Tuesday

he's good in corners thats for sure, likes to hit people. two-way game is good from what I saw

too much pressure on the kid way too early

Old
11-20-2003, 07:28 AM
who_me?

all this whining about Ruutu playing on the 4th line with goons is just BS. Earlier this year Ruutu was playing on the top line with the best wingers (Daze & Sully) and he wasn't setting them up with great passes or anything. He was playing more minutes than any other rookie and was on every power play. He just has not shown the offensive skills to generate scoring chances, plain and simple. Is his "bad knee" to blame for that? I don't think so....

So...he has limited playing making skills....can't take face-off draws....so why should he be playing on the 1st line? Should the entire team revolve around making Ruutu feel happy?

Old
11-20-2003, 07:57 AM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan
ruutu certainly, but i'd also expect more of chuck kobasew. but matthew lombardi has been a pleasent surprise so i guess i shouldn't ***** about our rookies.
other rookies i thought would at least make a few more points are esa pirnes in la kings, tommi santala in atlata and antti mietinen in dallas.
while a few more goals out of Kobasew would be nice, he's actually played pretty well (IMO), and the fact that he has played every game (far from a sure thing for a young player under Sutter) suggests he is impressing the coach.

Obviously Lombardi has been the best of the Flames 3 rookie forwards, but all 3 of Lombardi,Kobasew and Betts have been far from the team's biggest concern thus far

Old
11-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'd say that the two biggest disappointments are Antti Miettinen and Eero Somervuori.

Old
11-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'd say that the two biggest disappointments are Antti Miettinen and Eero Somervuori.
Add Santala and you have my list..

Pretty funny, those 3 were linemates on what was probably SM's Liiga's top line last season.

Miettinen has been bothered by back problems though, and hasn't gotten a lot of icetime in his last few games, which eventually got him sent down to Utah. He has shown some brilliant flashes of what to come, but has also looked like a 10 year old that still has to learn how to skate. Oh well, Niko Kapanen went through a same routine in 2001 and came back strong as a calder candidate for most of last season.

Old
11-20-2003, 08:53 AM
-HIFK-

vCash:
Quote:
originally posted by who_me?
all this whining about Ruutu playing on the 4th line with goons is just BS. Earlier this year Ruutu was playing on the top line with the best wingers (Daze & Sully) and he wasn't setting them up with great passes or anything
Yes, he did play a couple of games with Daze and Sullivan, but those games just happened to be his first ever in the league. Maybe if he got to play on a line like that with a little more experience, the result would be different.

And like I already said, he is not Forsberg. Ruutu hits, plays two-ways, and never gives up. Those are his best attributes. Those of you who expected too much of him can blame yourselves if you feel he´s let someone down. Those of us who have seen him play for years know what Ruutu can do, and that he brings more heart into the game than anyone. And he does have the hands as well to score once in a while, but never on a pace like Forsberg.

Old
11-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
I've been very very disapointed in Sejna though.
TELL ME ABOUT IT! I took him in my fanasty pool. What a waste of a pick at this point. I also have Ruutu. There killing me.

11-20-2003, 09:13 AM
ZombieMatt

It seems like people are expecting too much out of rookies in terms of point production. It is not very common for a rookie to score a ton of points, so why expect it, no matter what the hype.

I would say Ruutu has been the most disappointing, though I acknowledge his game is far more than just the one dimension of scoring. However, especially on HF Boards, his supporters were hyping him as an IMMEDIATE impact in all facets of the game based on the fact that he had played with men before. It sounds reasonable, though so far hasn't paid off. I suspect he'll get better as the season progresses.

King has been a huge shock, I really don't know what to say about him. I never saw him doing anything in the NHL, heck, I pegged him as a fringe AHLer....*shrug* We're all wrong sometimes, and I could not have been more wrong about King. Though we will see how long this lasts before making long term assumptions.

Old
11-20-2003, 10:38 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Staal is too steaky, in my pool I'l drop him, he will get hot, I pick him back up and then he turns cold, actually all my players have been doing that, I change 2 players every day and try to time a hot player.
I'm not dissapointed in any of the rookies because they are just rookies

Staal - yeah, he's streaky scoring wise. It all depended on Vasicek & O'Neill (his linemates) and they have been streaky scorers. Vrbata will be on his right side tonight in Ottawa, so maybe Staal will get something

Horton - he may not be picking up the points but he has been playing well. That guy is a warrior.

Ruutu/Someuveri/Mettinen - Ruutu & Someuveri have been over-hyped. Not saying that they aren't good players, but alot of people were making them out to be instant impact players. Ruutu may be an impact player some day but I don't believe Someuveri nor Mettinen ever will be.

Old
11-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Baron Von Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
TELL ME ABOUT IT! I took him in my fanasty pool. What a waste of a pick at this point. I also have Ruutu. There killing me.
Seriously, I picked him up thinking I had gotten away with a huge darkhorse pick!

Old
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I've been bursting Ruutu bubbles for over two years on this site but even I am disappointed by his play. he seems to constantly be a step behind.

I'm thinking he has to be injured right now, or possibly the knee injuries will have permanently hindered him in some ways.

He should either rest (if injured) or sent to the AHL. There's no point in keeping him up right now.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:38 PM
arsobro

Marcel Hossa disapointed me with his lack of intensity. He is in the stands again with kilger vs calgary tonight. A good mix of skills and size but he didn't work hard.

Old
11-20-2003, 02:44 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Ruutu

Maybe it was just all the hype around him, but where is this guy!?

Old
11-20-2003, 02:45 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIFK-
Ruutu hits, plays two-ways, and never gives up.
Let's see... the offensive skills that he's shown (2 pts) haven't been that impressive so far...he is a team worst minus 8.... Lehtinen and Fedorov would be examples of good "two-way players". So far he's shown that he's nothing more than a "grinder" or "energy" player who finishes his checks. so, exactly how is Ruutu supposed to be a "two-way player"?

Old
11-20-2003, 03:43 PM
guinness
those were the days

I don't see why anyone is so dissappointed in any of these rookies, has there been any recent rookie forwards that have been really lighting up the scoreboard? The last rookie forward that really caught my eye was Forsberg, everyone else was way overhyped and were only good for about 50 points, which I think has a lot to do with the defensive styles most teams use. Last year, Zetterberg showed some flashes, but other than that meh, nothing to rant and rave about.

Closed Thread